Well, it’s been two years.
If anything I’d say it’s looking better now, quite a bit has changed. This year I think will have to be the year I start tackling the body properly though. It’s not bad, but parts of it are going or have been made of filler in the past which is now breaking up, so really it needs to be done before it gets seriously bad.
Most recently it’s seen some decent improvements in lighting. You may notice the DRLs have gone - I never thought they suited the car but was begrudged to remove them when they worked. Fortunately the control unit burnt out earlier in the year, so they’re gone now. I may repurpose the lamp units later on.
Another problem I was having was the headlights seemed to be getting dimmer and dimmer. In a 2CV as standard, the light circuit runs right through from the battery, to the switch, then back to each bulb. It’s not a very safe or efficient setup to begin with, but over time as the contacts in the switch corrode, the output to the bulbs can lower and the switch begins to get hot, eventually to the point where some have been known to melt in use. I noticed mine getting warm after a shortish run one night, and with the Tan Hill Raid coming up (the bottom picture above) with it’s dodgy british weather and dark drive home, I decided to brave the cold and see what I could do about it.
I don’t remember the exact measurements now, but when I checked I was getting something like 9 volts at the bulb. When you consider these were only 40/45w Tungsten bulbs, you can imagine that light output wasn’t spectacular. (Not helped by my preference for selective yellow bulbs either).
I made myself up a small loom at the front of the car that fits into the existing headlight loom, which serves two purposes. One, it allows me to run a much shorter direct feed from the battery, through two relays directly to the bulb holders for the lights, meaning I’m now getting much healthier output at the bulbs. It’s also let me add a fuse into the headlight circuit, as there isn’t one fitted as standard. I’ve put it all together so it connects nicely into where the loom splits at the front, so if any of my relays were to fail I can return it to standard at the side of the road in an emergency.
This made an absolutely huge difference, and at the same time I fitted 55/60w halogen bulbs. Even though they’re just a cheap brand and still selective yellow, the difference is huge, it’s almost like a proper car. Still hoping to find some better bulbs at some point just to finish the job off.
I also discovered on the way home that the single spoke wheel makes an outstanding holder for too many Chicken McNuggets.