BRC: 1970 Nürburgring 24h [BONUS]

but

one single entry per player

1 Like

Usually not recommended but in my case I believe it would be worth it because I sent the homoligation car with extra cooling for some reason, the reliability reduction in going from 60 to 50 cooling isn’t that significant of a hit.

Would it be possible to make a exception to the one entry per player rule if the 2nd entry is to help fill a Group (such as Group 3), or is that rule because of limitations in the software?

How is brake wear applied? Do they cool down on long straights/during pitstops? Is it a long, relentless march to zero over the endurance race?

Is the vehicle weight adjusted every lap for the fuel spent? Do they have to “fill up” every time if it does not make sense, like for the last two laps at the end of the race when they need much less fuel to complete, or if a full tank gives 20 laps, but the tires only last for 18?

@Der_Bayer, the race rules state that “Tyre compound and width” can be changed on the race version of the homologated car, but can I change tyre type as well?

My car was designed to fit within the rules for Round 4 of Generations II which required me, as a US based car builder, to use cross-ply tyres until 1972 (Technically 1971, but I digress, hahaha).

The car is re-shod in radials for 1972 and I’d love to use the Nurburgring 24hr as the lore for the development process behind the Radial tyred MY1972 models… I’m fine with either outcome (yay or nay), I just would like some clarity on whether it’s legal or not!

:wink: I can do it anyway, if you’d like some controversy :wink:

Hahahahaha!!!

You have to stick with what you did to your homologated car.

Click my name and then “Message”, drag the .car file into the message field.

No exceptions.

I haven’t implemented this yet. I probably won’t go for a fully simulated system with cooling down on the straights, but rather have a distance based system with modifiers depending the in-game sportiness brake fade value and the excess brake force (more excess brake force means less wear as you need to apply less pressure).

The vehicle weight is adjusted in every simulation time step (0.015 s). Cars will be filled up depending on your strategy:

• Option 1: tell me how many laps you want to go between fuel stops, the car will be filled up accordingly
  • Option 2: always fill up completely and see how far the car will go (the option for the lazy people).

I’d like to spend time to check if the last minute splash-and-dash works properly, so you don’t get a full refuel just a few minutes before end of the race, but I am currently spending way too much time answering questions covered by the “if it is not mentioned it is not allowed to be changed” rule (I’m not talking about you here). This is eating away my programming time.

Go for it. You are the only one crazy enough to submit a car on cross-ply anyway :smiley:

5 Likes

It’s not clear if an engine that is exactly 3000cc will fit into the >=3000cc category or the 3000+cc category… Can there be clarification on this?

Perhaps the latter should be stated as 3001+cc?

This means “less or equal to”, so 3000cc would still be that category.

How is the fuel consumption measured? (I mean, what are the deciding factors? The fuel consumption the game gives us as a number? Or is it incorporating the engine efficiency curve as a whole?)

It’s a full simulation of the fuel consumption, considering the efficiency curve, the power the car is making at current RPM and throttle position. The final consumption will be significantly higher than what Automation tells you.

For a very rough estimation:

• divide the average engine power [kW] in the operating RPM range in race conditions by the average efficiency of your engine in the same range [%]
  • multiply by the percentage of full throttle during a lap (usually between 50 and 70 percent, hugely depending on the track and the speed of your car)
  • divide by the fuel factor of around 11.5 kWh/kg. You get the fuel consumption estimate in kg/h.
  • 1 Liter of fuel is 0.75 kg, so divide by 0.75 to get liters per hour. With the tank size accoding to your homologation confirmation, you then know how long your fuel tank roughly will last [h].
  • Try to see how many laps you can make within that time.

But don’t nail me down on the numbers you get :slight_smile:

EDIT: Calculator in Google Spreadsheet

9 Likes

I got :-

+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

:rofl: :rofl:

I’ll get my coat…

9 Likes

I’ve been reading through your rules and i was wondering if weight affects tyre wear? I haven’t seen anything that says it does, but it seems like something that should

Yes, weight (or better: tyre load) does effect tire wear, but that is at least partially compensated by wider tires for larger capacity/heavier cars.

2 Likes

Another challenger for the 1000cc class, the 1967 Autocenti-Innobianchi Mille S.
And no, it does not come with side mirrors from the factory since those were not yet mandatory in italy. (srsly)

It has a fuel injected 65hp engine five-speed transmission to make sure those objects behind you aren’t getting any closer, so why look at them?

8 Likes

Is there any information about weather? I seem to recall Sports being better than Semislicks past a certain point. How rainy is the autumn thereabouts?

Just to triple check, with aero fixtures, the limits are on how many of each type of fixture and not where they are placed right? Say if I have 2 lip fixtures in front, one lip in the rear (used as a spoiler), and one wing on the rear for group 4, I’m in the clear right? (my downforce is under the limit too)

No, just kidding. Weather will be a mixed bag - the Nürburgring is famous for weather changes, so there will be rain and dry sections. Nobody knows exactly what will happen on the ring, and I won’t post any weather forecast in advance. One thing is sure: There will be not only light rain from time to time.
Semi-Slicks will be worse in the rain than sports, sports will be worse than mediums. Balancing wise, I aim for a speed differential, that is the roughly inverse of the dry conditions speed differential between the compounds.

If you are estimating that two compounds will result in a quite similar overall performance including pit stops in the dry, I’d recommend going for the one performing better in the rain.

Correct, the placement does not matter, just the fixture type.

6 Likes

Question about the rules. Rim size can be changed for all groups, as can the brake distribution and pad slider.

Does this mean that brake size cannot be changed? So rim size is in effect limited by the size of your brake size?

Correct, brake size must remain, with all the implications this has.