CAFE challenge (Closed)

Year 2018 (so you can use your hybrid beaters car)

Build a set of cars one for each of the following categories.
The number in parentheses are how many total cars will be sold for each category.

Family (2,589,000 cars) Must have at least 4 seats
Off road (1,389,000 cars) Must have at least 20 drivability
Utility (889,000 cars)
Commuter (1,576,000 cars)
Luxury (441,000 cars)
Sport (114,000 cars)

The main scoring will be total profit based off of how many cars you sell, and the profit margin you chose.

Scoring for each category will be based off of the in game competitiveness (Gasmea), this score will also determine how many cars you sell compared to the rest…

Your average fuel economy will be calculated by how many cars of each type you sell. The equation to calculate the average fuel economy is the same used by the EPA, and is as follows.

Your target fuel economy average is 40mpg.

Regular unleaded (because I totally forgot to add any kind of cost mechanic for fuel type)

If you fail to meet 40mpg your company will be penalized $100 per car per mpg.

For example you sell 200,000 cars and your average fuel economy is 36mpg you will be fined $800,000, and you can chose to take the fine by choice.

$50m will be deducted per model used, $5m per trim.
You can use the same model and trim for multiple categories.
If you use the same engine between cars you will save $5m
If you use the same engine family but different variant you will save $3m

You can enter only one car if you choose.

Minimum safety 45
Maximum emissions final overview tab 150.

submission format

Model: CAFE username
Trim: car name

Engine family: CAFE username
variant: engine name

Export each of your cars then place them in a single .zip folder

username_companyname.zip

Accepting entries up to midnight MST Feb 28th

10 Likes

So, we could do 6 different cars?

yes

This I like the sound of. How do you want us to submit all these cars though, might be best to ask people to send one .zip/.rar with all the vehicles in?

There should be some (small) bonus if you use same car for multiple classes or same family with different trims. There is more profit that way, because your company doesn’t need to develop so many things.

Trying to figure out the best way to do this, % or fixed, and how much. I think fixed would be more realistic.
I am expecting total profits to push into the low billions but that all depends on what choices you all make.

Fixed.

1 Like

This reminds me of the 1950s car challenge awhile ago, I forgot who hosted that. Building a car to fit certain demographics and the total sales being split between competitors based on the car’s stats.

Certainly a good idea. Is there a deadline yet?

I think it was Packbat’s challenge (wonder where she’s gone), filled with plenty of calculations.[quote=“Zabhawkin, post:6, topic:19694”]
Trying to figure out the best way to do this, % or fixed, and how much.
[/quote]

I believe % is the better way. No clue on how to balance it but think about it this way: If let’s say commuter is just another trim of family car profits rise by 10% or base car cost drops (but than the absolute profit per car drops as well so not good)… something like that

What about the budget markets?

I thought about combining the market groups, but decided for simplicity to keep it at just the core market.

Ahh okay. Looks like ill have to reoptimise my cars for those markets then. Also what markup should be used?

If I’m reading the rules right pick whatever markup you want that balances competitiveness with profitability. I guess in general as much markup as you can before your competitiveness starts to fall away.

I have a dumb question: is competitiveness determined purely by the vanilla Gasmean competitor pack, or are the competition entries also used to create the base competitiveness value before the proportional sales are determined? Or does that not make a difference? I’m a bit fuzzy on the maths.

I will be using Gasmea

And yes you mark it up as high as feel appropriate.

As far as balancing using the same model with different, or even the same trim.

I am thinking of adding a cost of $50,000,000 per model, and $5,000,000 per trim each person uses.

3 Likes

Boy when you add that many zeros it sure does look big :joy:
LC makes all such figures look piddling:
Cost: $1.05Bn
Sign off :white_check_mark:

4 Likes

It looks like everything is working, so I am accepting entries until the end of February.

2 Likes

I’ll start to put together the lineup. This is going to be a very fun challenge I think.

1 Like

I’ve definitely wanted to do something for this. I missed the previous iteration so I’ll try not to miss this!

This said, I freaking suck at making normal cars. How the hell do I make a family car as good as whatever’s in the current competitor pack and what’s a reasonable markup for it!? (I’m currently stuck in the low 90s at 10% markup, but I suspect I should probably turn at least 15%)

At least I got commuter covered…

Just remember, it is possible to sell a car with less than 1000 hp :wink:

2 Likes

haha screw you, I’m already sure my insides are liquefying in anguish with my reasonable family car with a paltry 160bhp and 1.5 tons of steel, and I’m still not sure what I’m doing wrong :joy:

1 Like

What I have found so far is try to get the affordability to the mid 70’s or higher which means pretty basic setups.

It also means a very limited use of tech sliders.