CSR 71 - Dye-ing for beauty

CSR 71 - Dye-ing for beauty

As always, it would be appreciated if you aren’t sure about the rules around the CSR, that you follow the link to the general rules for this competition by clicking here!

The story

The year is 2001. Melanie Smith is a successful beautician and hair stylist, massive fan of that new girl group Destiny’s Child and a proud Essex gal. Melanie has lived in Brentwood, Essex for all of her life and owns a very popular beauty salon within the town of her residence that has converted popularity into a small fortune. She is currently in the process of opening up a second premise somewhere in the hustle and bustle of North London but wants to celebrate her success by splurging on replacing her cars, a 1996 Audi A4 Avant workhorse and a 1997 BMW Z3. It is already decided that the A4 Avant will be replaced with a new-generation, 2001 model with a diesel engine to cover the constant miles she will be doing between Essex and London but she doesn’t know what to replace the Z3 with. You see, Melanie loves her little Z3 so much. Whenever she gets a weekend free she is keen to go on a drive around the countryside or go shopping with one of her “bezzie mates”. The one thing she doesn’t like is that it feels a little too small for her and doesn’t look interesting enough. To Melanie, appearance is everything, and she really likes the quirkiest and most out there designs, but certainly not anything ugly. She’s tested the Mercedes SLK, Toyota MR2, Audi TT, Honda S2000 and even a drop top Land Rover Freelander and Jeep Wrangler but although she has liked elements of all of them, she feels that everyone is missing a certain something.

On top of this, her boyfriend Matt, who she has been with for some years now, is a massive car fan and really wants to help her make the right purchase, as well as get the right car for him

Restrictions

• Model year 2001 or older
  • Trim year must be 2001
  • Minimum 40 drivability
  • Minimum 20 sportiness
  • Minimum 20 comfort
  • Minimum 35 safety
  • Minimum 2 full seats
  • 95 RON unleaded fuel only
  • Catalytic converters obligatory
  • Maximum loudness of 40
  • Maximum engine PU/ET of 55/80 respectively
  • Maximum car PU/ET of 100/40 respectively
  • Maximum price $25,000 @ 0%
  • No V16s

Other requirements/permissions

• Advert for any submission must be posted on the thread
  • All mods from Workshop are permitted

Criteria/judgment

• Design, design, design - Melanie wants a car that looks expensive and really stands out
  • Reasonable performance and handling - She still wants to be able to have fun down those country lanes
  • Decent comfort and economy - Although no hard limit on the fuel economy, Melanie will occasionally take this to work and if she is heading into London it needs to be able to sit in traffic potentially for hours in some comfort and without using too much fuel
  • Decent equipment/quality levels - Melanie does not want something cheap or that feels cheap
  • Prestige has relevance - Remember, it must look good and feel good!
  • Space isn’t important - Melanie isn’t big, neither is her boyfriend Matt, but they may want to go away for the weekend with light luggage in this
  • Reliability - Although not important as Melanie only ever plans to own this under warranty, she doesn’t want to have to deal with the annoyance of having to take the car in for repairs
  • Service costs - Again, Melanie doesn’t find this too important, but the less it is the better, of course.
  • All types of car will be accepted, but remember what Melanie is looking for.
  • Your advert is important and will help with the verdict of the car. Melanie hasn’t tried your car yet because she doesn’t know your brand, so the advert needs to grab her attention!

Some similar cars have been included in the story, but remember that she didn’t want these. Consider them guidelines, but not the exact thing.

As always, the same naming system applies!
Car and engine model name: CSR 71 - “username”
Car trim: Brand, model and variant of car
Engine trim: Engine model/variant

Deadline is Friday 4th May @ 23:59:00 CEST (GMT +2)

Please do not rush your entries, take all the time you need, within the obvious limit of course.

If you are unsure as to what time that is in your time zone, click here to see what time that is for you!

EDIT: You can sell a coupe body as a convertible as long as it is made clear in the entry PM that this is the intention. There also must be some attempt to visually portray this, so it is no good telling me it is convertible if there has been no change to the roof in some way.

17 Likes

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, so just 2001?

not necessarily. if it was just 2001, that would imply a new for 2001 model. this opens it up to lore cars as well.

My bad.
For a brief second I thought 2001 “or older” meant 2001" or higher"

Brain_fart.wav

I had plans to host a round with a rule set similar to the one you’ve given us, but more upmarket and set in '06/'07 or so. Oh well, I guess I’ll have to wait at least another round for that opportunity…

Anyway, this round reminds me of CSR69 for some reason, but with explicit PU/ET limits and a bigger budget.

One more note: this round is set in 2001 but the Z4 (the successor to the Z3) was not introduced until 2003.

Good point on the Z4, I’ll change that to something else now.

If anybody else has questions about anything please let me know.

did you? did you really? did you really?

12 Likes

John, you seem surprised! :rofl:

6 Likes

Let’s see. Which one is better, a cheap mid-engined car, a hairdresser’s car or a normal cheap coupe…

I wonder: Are bodies which arn’t convertibles , but look like one also allowed ? For example the 1985 coupe bodies don’t have convertible versions, but you can give them T-Tops or make them look like a Hardtop with fixtures

Nowhere does it say it has to be a convertible.

Never said it has too be one. (But i think its an easy bet to say a convertible is being searched)

Considering she hasn’t bought any convertible she tried, perhaps it isn’t the car for her anymore. Or maybe it is…

Put it this way, it’s open.

EDIT: Relevant to what was said about coupe models sold as convertibles - That is fine, but make it clear when you PM me your entry that this is what you want. There also has to be some visual attempt to portray this as well.

I will add this to the original post.

5 Likes

Ferrain Capset

5 Likes

Where’s the 986 boxster in that list?

Not there, but easily something Melanie could have driven :wink:

1 Like

New for 2001: DiMarino Imperia 325

Shown here in Giallo Solare

Statement from Roberto DiMarino, Chief Engineer at DiMarino Automotive

Here at DiMarino, I just can’t get you out of my head, and neither can my fellow engineers and test drivers. You see, I’m starting to realize that you want something sporty, but I’ve also suspected that you might be fed up with soft-tops such as the one you have now, and want to buy a car with a fixed roof for a change. If that’s the case, then our latest Imperia 325 might just fit the bill. Its subdued yet sporty styling ensures that you’ll have love at first sight as soon as you look at it, for this is no hairdresser’s car, but a proper sports saloon built for true enthusiasts.

Standard features on the Imperia 325 include:

• A 280-horsepower 3.25-litre straight-six sending its power exclusively to the rear wheels via a mechanical LSD and a six-speed manual gearbox, providing rapid acceleration in all situations (0-60 mph in 6 seconds) while returning respectable fuel economy. Did I mention that this thing tops out at over 150 mph?

• A sporty yet supple suspension tune, carefully set up so that you can have a blast on a B-road without spinning around aimlessly all the time.

• 17-inch wheels shod in high-performance tires for maximum grip during spirited driving, and 4-wheel vented disc brakes providing excellent braking performance without the slightest hint of fade.

• A spacious and comfortable 4-seat premium interior with leather seats, advanced safety systems (front and side airbags, plus stability and traction control) and a CD player, allowing you to enjoy long trips in utter comfort and still have space for a pair of kids in the back - handy if you choose to start a family in the future, but those rear seats are also big enough for adults as well. Which means that, both inside and out, the car’s appeal lies in your eyes - what you see is what you get, and what you get is what you pay for. Speaking of which…

Best of all, with a pre-markup price of $20500, the Imperia 325’s value-for-money quotient is light years ahead of the competition. Go ahead, you know you want one!!!

11 Likes

25k huh? That seems like a lot of money for the stars required. Wonder where the padding should go…

1971 Bogliq Maverick AE Resto-Mod for sale!

Maverick%20FR

Up for sale is my pride and joy, a 1971 Maverick SE converted to full AE spec including the homologation twin intake 100L fuel tank. The 7L big-block has a complete Leeroy Racing EFI kit installed and a '95 Ambassador Smart-trak 5spd auto smoothly transfers the power to the ground.

Interior has been converted to the rare Exceed 4 seater leather interior and the dials and gauges are full AE trim. Really nice car to drive, the reason I have to sell is that I need to move to Malta for a job opportunity.

Maverick%20RR

These cars are rare in the UK so buy yourself a bargain before the speculators try to flip it for double the money!

Asking for $25,000 pounds, non-negotiable, as I have a friend who’ll store it for me in the unlikely event it doesn’t sell!

16 Likes

Asking for $25,000 pounds

Hmmm

4 Likes