Drag Racing Challenge ROUND 13: 3 Cylinders Light Weight Sport Budget! Deadline 15/11/2016

just getting it all sorted, sorry about the long break

2 Likes

No problem, just to know. :wink:

Entries are still open, yeah?

There are no rules yet. Youā€™re a little early haha

Whoops I confused the HLC and the DRC. Yeah, Iā€™m not touching the HLC for now, will wait until the next round of the DRC. :smile:

Here are the rules for round 12ā€¦ Run what ya brung!!!

Step 1: Make a replica of the first car you ever owned (bought and drove legally) and send it in to the Racemaster. Posting a pic and blurb about your car is required. If you havenā€™t got a first car yet then use the family truck/sedan etc. (but NOT your dadā€™s weekend race-car lol) Max HP is set at 300hp but Iā€™ll be surprised if anyone gets near that figure!

Step 2: Patiently wait until the round ends, hoping no-one from America enters a mustang or somethingā€¦ :grin:

Step 3: A new winner emerges, safe in the knowledge that there was nothing anyone else could have done to stop them! :astonished:

Thatā€™s it!

Please be as honest as possible; this is intended as a GT5 style ā€œCoffee breakā€ event so no-one loses but we all learn something fun/interesting about each other! :persevere:

Good luck and have fun with the replicating challenge!

3 Likes

I am going to post this hope you dont mind dude

Now I am all for this but there does need to be a few things addressed
one: first things first what about people that have never owned or driven an actual car ( I propose we allow peoples family car to be entered/built)

two: the honor system is easy you must post a picture of the actual (or as close to ) car you are replicating AND MUST put a small reason why you bought or were given or your family bought the car and if it was fun.

three: I suggest that we limit max hp to 300hp and that the tech years are between say 1980-2010

four: finally in the interest of fairness when posting you PM to John please post a screenshot of the design like so

2 Likes

No worries, @Darkshine5ā€™s rules stand in addition to the ones I posted, :grin:

Do I replicate the 1st car I drove (Grandadā€™s old Toyota Carona), My Current Car (Altezza), or the car Iā€™m learning in (Mumā€™s Subaru XV)ā€¦

Decisions, Decisionsā€¦

If you own the Altezza and itā€™s going to be your first car then that would be the one to replicate, just to make life easier :wink:

Again, if Iā€™ve never owned a car, what the heck do I replicate? My family doesnā€™t have a car, in a small country like Holland, all you need is a bicycle. And what exactly does replication count as? Iā€™ve been in a lot Mercedes and Volvo vehiclesā€¦ no way Iā€™m fitting a premium interior in the name of replication - itā€™s a straight path to loss.

Good Point.

Now to struggle through getting the right bodyā€¦

Thatā€™s a briliant idea! :smiley: Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be at the bottom somewhere but what the hell, this will be fun af.

Replication means you make a copy of the original. So you find out relevant stats like engine configuration, bore and stroke and rpm limit (if possible), gearbox type and no. of gears, what diff it has, interior type, wheel size etc.

You NEED to fit that premium interior or else your car isnā€™t a replica. This is less a competition and more a fun exercise in Automation car building; trying out new things for the fun of it!

As for what car youā€™ll replicate; work out what you could realistically buy and run on an entry level wage in your country and replicate that.

1 Like

So how do we decide the winner? If itā€™s a straight regular drag where the fastest car wins, I could just say Iā€™m going to replicate a second-hand Golf GTI and then quietly crank up the horsepower to 300 and win.

This is so confusing :joy:, I donā€™t like it :confounded:

Yeah I agree that in idea its great but we need some base specs which makes this damn hard to actually doā€¦I want to see it go ahead but I also do not want a ruleset that does not allow people to enter.
Maybe change the rules to say replicate a car from the 80ā€™s with no more than 300hp and a regular production car not a special model or trim.
I donā€™t know
Edit: my first actual car that I owned was a 1985 corolla seca with a mr2 supercharged 4Agze so obviously I canā€™t replicate that as we donā€™t have superchargers

Iā€™m just struggling to get the right body and fixtures to make it look like an Altezzaā€¦

EDIT: I could do the Engine, probably, but not the bodyā€¦

Soz 4 Double Post

So, we are allowed to tune it, or do we have to attempt to be near the stock ā€œtune.ā€ It is very hard for me to re-create the 1G-FE BEAM without much internal and specific info out thereā€¦ I can re-make a tuned version, but not the stock versionā€¦

A: Youā€™d have to replicate the stock GTi; no mods or tuning allowed!

B: I bet you couldnā€™t get a GTi insured at your age in your country; but a base model 1.6 might be affordable

C: the car doesnā€™t HAVE to look like the actual car, only the stats and setup; use the closest body you can find!

D: @Darkshine5 youā€™d have to build a turbo version to replicate the supercharger; using mid 80ā€™s or early 90ā€™s tech, lol!

1 Like

I am so fcked upā€¦

1984 Audi 4000 base model with catalytic converterā€¦
At least it wasnā€™t a 2CV. :smiley: