Forum's favourite car tournament

In my case, that is most definitely true - as a man born in the early 90s (1992, to be exact) I have always had a soft spot for cars from that particular era. It explains my decision to nominate the S1 Lotus Elise before the tournament began, and also why I spent a lot of time debating whether or not to vote for the NSX in the latest poll - I eventually did so, but I had to convince myself it was the right choice.

1 Like

Today, and tomorrow too, weā€™re gonna cut the Loserā€™s bracket to about 2 cars. Three after the main bracket finals.

Interesting fact: Both of todayā€™s matches feature an Italian car up against a Japanese one.

Day 23, Poll 1:

Lancia 037 Stradale vs Honda NSX NA1
  • Lancia 037 Stradale
  • Honda NSX NA1

0 voters

Day 23, Poll 2:

Lamborghini Miura SV vs Autozam AZ-1
  • Lamborghini Miura SV
  • Autozam AZ-1

0 voters

8 Likes

I died a little inside when I saw the NSX against the 037. Thatā€™s like saying ā€œwhich leg do you prefer?ā€

2 Likes

No, itā€™s like saying kill your daughter or kill your girlfriend. You know the choice you have to make, but you know the choice you want to make.

1 Like

Iā€™m all in for the Group B and Italian maniacs. Sorry Japanese perfectionists, thatā€™s an easy choice for me :wink: (Group B!!!)

1 Like

Well, yeah. I never said it wasnā€™t an easy choice to make, it just isnā€™t one taken lightly.

EIGHTIES POWEEEEEEEEEEEER

1 Like

OK, so, we have a little, tiny bit of a problem, I might need you guys to have input on, alright? With the Autozam not passing further on, it is now certain we will have a repeat match somewhere along the line. Itā€™s gonna happen either in Losersā€™ Bracket finals next round, or in the great finale in two rounds. Thereā€™s even a scenario where both happen. I have thought about ways to resolve it, each with its own problems.

1. I could simply run the rematch. This would be a simple option, but it could lead to a rather predictable outcome, since people tend not to be likely to switch votes, and could be considered a waste of time.
  2. I could take that a step further and simply assume that the outcome would not change. That would make it quicker, but It would be rather anticlimactic, and Iā€™m only really including it for the sake of completedness.
  3. I could do this system, where before the poll on the rematch starts, Iā€™d give some time for people to actually try to sway the other side to switch votes. This could give something to do for the silver tongues and potentially mitigate the predictability somewhat, but it would take more time.
  4. I could do something else I havenā€™t thought about.

Please share your input on these.

Anyway, onto todayā€™s polls.

Day 25, Poll 1:

Lancia 037 Stradale vs Lamborghini Miura SV
  • Lancia 037 Stradale
  • Lamborghini Miura SV

0 voters

Day 25, Poll 2:

Lancia Stratos vs Alpine A110 (classic)
  • Lancia Stratos
  • Alpine A110 (classic)

0 voters

How do you rate each idea on running the repeat matches? (If you have an idea on your own, share it. Iā€™ll add a new poll if I see at least some merit in it.) (Also, yes, Iā€™m doing range voting on that thing. Figure itā€™d be fairer than a first-past-the-post.)

1. Simply running the poll.

0 voters

2. Copying the previous result.

0 voters

3. Leaving a time period (2 days, most likely) between the end of the previous round and the beginning of the repeat match for debating to happen.

0 voters

EDIT: For clarification on the three polls above - higher rating is better.

6 Likes

oh balls - I voted before I read the edit
should have listened to my teachers - always read the exam before answering

1 Like

Issue with debating this is that I think it may well just get out of hand and weā€™ll end up with 30/40 walls of text as everyone gives their 2 cents. Much easier to express that through a vote.

This, being a double elimination tournament, would be safe to say that most of the ā€˜finalistā€™ have 1 loss, if they had already matched up before. Instead then, just run 1 grand finale round, winner-take-all, of all of the finalists.

1 Like

I like the idea, yes. It also seems I cannot add a new poll to the post, soā€¦

Iā€™d love you guys to rate this one as well.

4. Running a single grand finale round with all the remaining finalists.

0 voters

1 Like

Soā€¦ A grand finale round it is, isnā€™t it?

With a huge lead of that one option, where itā€™s all the contestants duking it out for the title of the Forumā€™s Favourite Car, itā€™s all between the top 3 today!

Fun fact: Only 12 years separate the newest car in the Top 3 and the oldest one.

Anyway, here are the cars:

The Lamborghini Miura SV!

The Lancia Stratos!

The classic Alpine A110!

• Lamborghini Miura SV
  • Lancia Stratos
  • Alpine A110 (classic)

0 voters

May the best one (or at least, the most liked one) win.

9 Likes

#notmyfavouritecar :triumph:

5 Likes

Iā€™ve voted for all 3 of these cars multiple times.

Hmm.

Eeny meeny miney moeā€¦

1 Like

It took over a month, but we have a winner, everybody!

The French Alpine peaked over its Italian competition, and proved that bigger is not always better. With her classic styling that only gets sexier as she gets older, and her rally heritage sheā€™s the perfect candidate for a time machine, and not just among the French-engined RR cars. ( :wink: ). Big congratulations to @Mr.Computah for winning this tournament.

We also have to congratulate the other finalist. Reaching the Top 3 is no easy task, which is why we gotta give a round of applause to @Nicking_HC (I hope your surgery went well. Eyeā€™d be pretty disappointed if you did not get to see the fight, and your car triumphing over 99% of its competition.) and @Alib (I have to say, the Stratos was my personal favourite from the Top 3, even if I wanted the Carlton to win this) as well.

And, because why not, weā€™ll congratulate @MrChips and @BoostandEthanol as well. After looking through the statistics, I believe you were the last people with both of the cars in the running. Celebrating the top performers is fine and dandy, but itā€™s equally important to reward consistency as well.

Hereā€™s the final Top 12:

1st: Alpine A110
2nd: Lamborghini Miura SV
3rd: Lancia Stratos
4th: Lancia 037
5th: Autozam AZ-1 / Honda NSX NA1
7th: Lotus Carlton / Porsche 959
9th: Lotus Elise S1 / Nissan Skyline GT-R R32 / Renault Clio V6 Phase 2 / Volvo 850 R

17 Likes

And Iā€™d strangle you for that one, but there is no Eye in ā€œteamā€. Besides, blind vengeance isnā€™t something I see through. Bam, trifecta! Bow down to I, the true Pun Meisterā€¦!

Er, ahem. Sorry about that, my comedy tends to get carried away sometimes. First off, thanks for the words, Kubboz. Theyā€™re definitely appreciated. :smiley:
So, second place, huh? When I first spoke of ā€œhoping to hear good newsā€ about the Miura before surgery, getting the loserā€™s bracket card and achieving a podium finish was a bit above infinity and beyond.

It wasnā€™t until last weekend that I managed to see the Miuraā€™s (re)climb to fame; I had the thread on my phoneā€™s browser history, so I checked through that. And man, what a hitlist; the 037 (not my favorite rally car, but Beta Montecarlo base), the AZ-1 (my 3rd favorite kei sports car. Iā€™m part of Teams Copen and Cappuccino, TBH), the Carlton (my favorite performance sedan of all time)ā€¦ This thing ran through the F40 and the Batmobile, for Godā€™s sake!

And thereā€™s something else, too. The Miura was the only Lamborghini in this entire ordeal. Not just the only Miura, the ONLY LAMBORGHINI. We had multiple Skylines, and yet not even a single Countach! People, Ferruccioā€™s ghost will haunt you!

With all that, Iā€™m beyond honored to have given the House of Miura its due spotlight. In my mind the SV was the best candidate; itā€™s the best of both worlds (beauty and speed). The previous Miuras were good, but not quite as focused. And the Jota would suffer from Furai Syndrome, being a roasted bull and whatnot.
Also, losing to Computah is nothing to be ashamed of. And neither is losing to the Alpine. She is a rather unexpected winner, since she didnā€™t outright create a class like the Stratos or the Quattroā€¦ But in the end racing story spoke louder, and as beautiful as the SV is, it doesnā€™t have Monza cred.
Looking forward to the next tournament, and congrats to all participants (and organizer :wink:)!

7 Likes

Man, though the CSL would go so much furtherā€¦

the real question is ā€œhow did the Miura do so well while the actual best car in this list got stuck in a four-way tie for ninth?ā€

I never thought the Elise S1 (which I had nominated) would make it to the top 12. But the original A110 deserved to win - a small, light, rear-engined car with modest power and svelte styling is a truly timeless recipe.