Game at Launch, What is in? What is Out? - Updated 08/2014

[quote=“Leafy”]

No, back in the day, they were the same thing. They’d come out with a patch and throw a new feature/level/texture pack.[/quote]

Like the way minecraft does?

Yep, we’d love to work that way, assuming we have the money to keep working on it we WILL keep working on it :slight_smile:

No Leafy, they wern’t. I’ve been PC gaming since DOS days and 360k floppy disks and been gaming on them for years before you were born :stuck_out_tongue:. I know very well what patches have always been :slight_smile:

Do I have to post the change logs I have from the games that still run on my computer from the early 90’s to yk2 era? Warzone 2100 has the most by far, but the early need for speeds got a few cars in some patches, mechwarrior games got some new mechs and multiplayer levels (even up to the 4th one), etc. Only since the 7th gen consoles came out have we seen DLC be the norm. It used to be, minor additions to the game came out in patches. Large additions which included at least a mini campaign came out as expansion packs, and game engine changes came out as a sequel or something IE, Doom I to Doom II had a game engine change where as Doom II to Doom II TNT Evilution was an expansion pack of a new campaign on the same game engine.

I’m with you, leafy. That’s what I was talking about. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not saying DLC is necessarily a bad thing; I like the fact that game makers give us more content for our beloved games. I just hate how rare it seems to release content outside of DLCs now. Greed is good and all that stuff… but sometimes taking care of the customer is good, too.

We’ll release for free whatever we can afford to, but there is a difference between greed and being able to afford to keep working :wink:

I wouldn’t be too scared of greedy DLC in the case of Automation, I’ve talked to the devs quite a bit and they are both reasonable and smart: they know very well that a loyal fanbase / community is built neither on greedy horse-armor DLC, nor on left-out features that become release-date DLCs. So don’t worry, be happy… rest assured they won’t suddenly morph into EA or the likes. :wink:

I’m sure this wont be an issue dlc is great if it funds new games etc and gives the game abit more life

I’m not worried about that at all. It’s totally different when it’s a couple guys in a basement coding and the aforementioned EA/Bioware etc

Which is fastest, Naturally Aspirated, Turbo, Twin Turbo, or Supercharged?

Errr, they all have their different applications, but Turbochargers usually have the most power potential (for a given engine size)

What about a V6, V12?

[quote=“Daffyflyer”]

Errr, they all have their different applications, but Turbochargers usually have the most power potential (for a given engine size)[/quote]

Though on mildly built applications the root superchargers are often the fastest around the track and down the strip.

Yeah, pretty much - for a responsive, medium power sort of application, 1 small turbo, 2 really small turbos, or a supercharger is a good bet.

For all out ridiculous power I don’t think you can beat a big single turbo, though you do end up with power curves like THIS :laughing:

Not in America, and this is even a case of a ford with a chevy heart. Dont mind mph on the x axis, its as good as rpm for this case.

Yes, I’m always puzzled why superchargers are used for massive power V8 applications though to be honest, but I guess when you’re making 1500kw who cares if 200kw goes back iinto running the 'charger

Shame superchargers aren’t a great proposition for MX5s, because they are certinaly pretty cool.

Sadly in the case of MX5s it ends up being about $1000 more for about 40kw less :frowning:

Its a tradition thing. Big blowers look cool sticking out of the hood. And it would be impossible to turbo charge a top fuel eliminator dragster, the turbo’s would melt and its not like they dont already make 8000 hp from a big block v8 and nitroglycerin based fuel.

And daffy it more torque and better throttle response. Same car, same driver at an auto-x or on a fairly tight track the blower car will beat the turbo car every time.

Tell that to my mechanic’s rally car running a small turbo and anti-lag, it doesn’t know the MEANING of the word “Off Boost”.

I do know of some guys who run supercharged MX5s, but the gain in responsiveness compared to a small turbo is not that big, and not considered worth the money by most people… the NOISE on the other hand is rather nice :smiley:

Oh… and then there is my mechanic’s twincharged MX5 with a little (twin screw I think) and a big turbo and a tough motor with big cams and port work - Apparently makes 12psi @ 2000rpm and goes out to something like 250kw+ (eats clutches though…)

's alright if you can afford to replace turbo’s every few events! :laughing:

Uses a stock “MX5 SE” turbo, tiny cheap little thing, but apparently still going just fine after quite a few rallys