Generations [LORE, UE4] [FINAL RESULTS]

Sinistra Motors HQ, Nevada, May 1969

Mark Jasper returned to the headquarters after a lengthy vacation, and after making a slight detour through Ohio for a spot of fun with the new Savage sedan.

“Have a nice trip?” Luke asked, hanging up the phone and looking at Mark, an amused look on his face.

“Oh, it was a good bit of fun. Thanks for letting me borrow one of the sedans.” Mark said, grinning.

“Don’t tease me like that. What’s the distance?” Luke asked. Mark gave a quizzical look in return, though had a light smirk breaking through.

“No clue what you’re talking about.”

“Andrea mentioned you had bald front tires. You passed through Ohio. Come on, do I have to flat out tell you that I know you were doing burnouts in front of the Ardent headquarters?”

“Oh, fine. Yes, I was, and I left several stripes in the parking lots, and a good one right in front of their main doors. Sadly, I don’t have your skill for laying rubber, or I’d have written in scrubbed rubber “Sinistra Was Here” in front of the building. Still, won’t take much for them to figure out who did that. After all, Bog-lick or however you pronounce them, well, they can’t do burnouts, I’m sure of it.” Mark said.

“Bogliq. As much as I know you don’t like them, at least show them some respect. As for Ardent, well, I can’t say for certain they know we’re considering them as rivals, but they sure as hell know now that someone’s out to cause hell.” Luke replied.

8 Likes

Folks, I had a question PM’ed to me about the round 6 rules, and I felt it might be best to post the answer here:

"Hey, just a quick (and possibly stupid) question.

The rules for round 6 say “If square headlights are used, there must be two pair instead of one.” Just want to double check these count as square, since they have the curved edges."

The headlights were basically rectangles with curved corners. These would be considered square. Headlights are only considered round if the fixture, at least before morphing, was a circle. No flat or flat-ish edges.

This comes from an odd, obscure bit about the early NTSB and lighting regulations. While dual-filament round headlights had been around forever, square was a new shape in automotive lighting. And they hadn’t conducted “extensive testing” yet, so to err on the side of caution, the NTSB mandated quad headlamps if they were square up until the late 70’s, when the regulation was relaxed.

And now, off to finish packing…

7 Likes

For those possibly confused, these were the lights:

1 Like

Was it not a thing about dual large lamps or quad smaller lamps, just like the round headlight regulations in place since sometime in the 50s? Or did the dual large square lamps simply appear in the late 70s? I know both were allowed in 1983 when the regulations were removed, and square was first allowed in 1974, but I don’t think I’ve seen anything about whether or not dual lamps were allowed that early.

Little bit of stats:

Car ratings throughout the rounds. Entries marked with green background are best cars of their class in the round.

Overall rankings throughout the rounds.

7 Likes

In a garage, somewhere near Suzuka, 1968.
AKA the Keika Automotive HQ

Daniel Chase, founder of Keika, is reading through some mail. After the 1968 Monte Carlo Rally win, he attracted the attention of some Motorsports outfits. A few wrote to him, asking about various specifications and whether new engines would fit. He threw those out. Anything that went against the advanced V6 he built went in the trash.

He came across one letter that peaked his interest, coming from San Francisco.

Dear Sir/Madam

As an American, I find your vehicles fascinating. A low displacement 6 cylinder, with multiple camshafts, mounted behind the driver is truly ingenious. I have also noticed you lack any market share in the US. As a racing driver and performance car dealership owner, I think your vehicles would attract a lot of attention with me. I also carry a reputation around local circuits, so other drivers will certainly have an interest in your cars if and when I drive them.

I do not write this letter without concern though. American buyers do not want the finesse your car provides, and a larger displacement, simpler V8 engine would make your car much more competitive in an already competitive market. I can supply an engine to you, if you make the changes to the car to make it US regulation compliant.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours truly,
Rachel Foust

While the idea of bringing Keika to the US intrigued Daniel, touching the engine he spent months perfecting was out of the question. That and he prefered to get the job done himself, he decided to at least have the decency to write back.

Dear Rachel Foust

While I appreciate your enthusiasm in my car, I do not support the idea of changing the engine. While this is a personal issue, since I spent several months perfecting that engine myself, the car is also very weight sensitive and even minor engine adjustments could result in lethal oversteer. I myself experienced this just from changing the headers on race variants, showing you just how finely balanced this car is. I wouldn’t want you to experience that yourself, or potentially ruin my reputation because of a lack of care.

As much as I am sorry to say, I think I will have to decline this offer, with the possibility of renegotiation at a later date.

Yours sincerely,
Daniel Chase

In a glossy performance car dealership, San Francisco Bay, 1968

Rachel Foust looked over the letter she received back from Daniel Chase. Disappointed, and slightly annoyed, she had hoped to help the Englishman understand that ¼ mile times get customers here, not lateral G. The little Japanese sports car had fascinated her ever since she saw the newspaper articles about it winning various racing events through Europe and Japan. Without the factory backing she had hoped for, she’d not be able to afford the custom V8s she was going to swap in to appeal to America. Still, even if only for selfish reasons, she ordered six Keika Katanas to test the waters, with the possibility of more coming later.

By 1969 the original six were all imported, and a simple advert was created.

I tried…

6 Likes

Dual rounds were allowed in '69. See the AMC Rambler, for instance. It was still common, however, for cars to have quad rounds then. Dual squares were available as early as 1980 (see the Subaru Leone), but it was still common to have quad squares then.

3 Likes

Yeah, up until 1958 (and a bit later in some states) it was dual round 7" lamps only. Then quad 5.5" round lamps were allowed and subsequently used on everything. I just didn’t know that with square lights being allowed in 1974 it was limited to quad lamps only.

1 Like

8607db6de1e5d22ff71e2b236fd6bb52bd598dbc_1_666x500
Single lamps are for poor people. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Chances are both would have looked different if it wasn’t for US headlamp regulations I guess…)

5 Likes

9 Likes

Bogliq USA HQ

Detroit, Michigan

Konstantin’s Office

Konstantin Bogliq sighed as he read the latest edition of Motor World, again the best in class positions were taken up by imports, doing USA style better than the home team! The Midsize segment in particular had exploded with competition; everything was faster, stronger and cheaper than Bogliq’s line-up.

He massaged his temples; another headache ws coming on. Maybe he was getting too old for this new, cut-throat competition. After all, Konstantin had formed Bogliq USA in the late 1920’s building the GPUV and the GPDV for local businesses to have access to cheap, reliable delivery vehicles. The war was a stress and the rapid expansion of Bogliq USA post-war was a rollercoaster ride that just wouldn’t stop. The only consolation was that the engine deal with Grehet Motors was worth the hassle, with the Gamma Eight being the main highlight of the Falmo GTL…

Suddenly there was a sound of screeching tyres and muffled shouts. Looking out his window, Konstantin saw a metallic blue sedan, smoke pouring from its front tyres, leaving a cloud of stinking tyre smoke throughout the carpark! Bloody Sinistra maniacs! Regular like clockwork, a suspected Sinistra employee would enter the carpark then peel off a massive burnout for as long as possible, before escaping the security guards via the smoke cloud that now enveloped their car and the parking lot! It was a different person each time, but without solid proof of association with Sinistra, Konstantin didn’t want to risk a defamation lawsuit. (OOC - @Madrias enjoy!)

Once the spectacle was over Konstantin eased himself into his chair and contemplated successors, retirement and returning to the home country…

9 Likes

In 1969 the new Z200 series was unveiled.
The new prodution plant, the most modern in Italy at the time, was capable to produce enough models to cover the European market and beyond.
Guess where the “beyond” is? Right on the other side of the Atlantic.

16 Likes

The Mk 2 Merna launched in 1968, and marked one of the most significant moments in the company’s history. After a decade of trying to establish itself, the Mk 2 proved that Erin could make a car that didn’t have to rely on banking on the company’s motorsport prowess to sell itself.

It was this generation that also cemented the Merna as perhaps the quintessential British compact hatchback, selling over 1 million units between 1968 and 1975 and becoming a household name in the country’s car culture. Major success in the BTCC as well as ventures into the European Rally Championship helped to further justify this car’s standing today as one of the best Erin’s of all time.

Lore post

17 Likes

This Weeks Ad bought to you by: “Vri Was Lazy as Fuck This week”

Car Can be found here

13 Likes

Shown here: the 1969 ad for the Rev. 4 Caliban Type SC, a facelift with mechanical improvements of the Rev. 3 Type SC.

Lore post on the car here.

16 Likes

The 1969 Fenton LE

Accompanying lore post

15 Likes

11 Likes

Flat out recently, so unfortunately not up to date on the lore thread yet, but this is the next in the M10 series - designed from the ground up. The A1500s is the “sports” version… 0-100 in a blistering 15 seconds…

6 Likes

With a name like that, I’d expect the Jetsetter to be really fast - and it looks great in deep purple as well!

It’s respectable… 0-60 below 10 seconds, 128 MPH top speed. It’s a big, heavy droptop cruiser. The closest IRL equivalent (of the year) would be the Oldsmobile Cutlass.

6 Likes