Guangzhou Huangdou Automotive Co. (广州红湖 - 黄豆)

It’s about time I made a thread for this…

Huangdou (黄豆) Automotive Co.

https://i.imgur.com/7IiM2JP.png

Shoutsout @titleguy1 for the cleaned up logo aye

Huangdou, literal translation being “yellow bean”, (or soy bean in its actual term) is a Chinese subsidiary company of Honghu, setting its focus on more affordable, sometimes sportier vehicles unlike its Honghu and Jinhe counterparts. The brand launched in 1979 with its GZHD739 sedan.

With free-market oriented economic reform making its way within China thanks to Deng Xiaoping, Huangdou solidified its place in the Chinese car industry through the affordability and performance of its city cars.

Naming Convention

Before ditching it altogether in 2000 in favour of simpler names, Huangdou adhered to China’s strict naming convention in the former years.

• Huangdou’s designated brand tag was GZHD, seen on every vehicle in its lineup.

• The gist of it is this. Buses and larger vehicles would fall under the 6000 line in 1989 up to 2000, while consumer vehicles would fit in the 7000 line. A lot more info on vehicle naming conventions can be found here (thanks @Rk38!)

Notable Models (Non-Sport)

Notable Models (Non-Sport)
The average Joes

Huangdou GZHD747SM

1991 Huangdou GZHD716S (Convertible Car Sport)

1997 Huangdou GZHD7200PY (Shijie)

2003 Huangdou Sprite Trek

2003 Huangdou Galaxy Trek

2020 Huangdou SJ

2020 Huangdou Starlight

Notable Models (Huangdou Sport)

Notable Models (Huangdou Sport)

Besides being known for making the typical commuter vehicle, Huangdou also dabbled into the sports car market more than a couple times, proving to come out surprisingly successful.

1983 Huangdou GZHD720RE (Sports Coupe Rallye Edition)

2003 Huangdou Sprite Sport

Current Lineup

Cars

• SJC - Budget/Fleet Compact Sedan
  • SJ - Compact Sedan
  • Haiyang - Midsize Sedan

Crossovers

• CC Allure - Subcompact 5-seater
  • SPRiTE - Compact 5-seater
  • CC - Midsize 5-seater
  • Baolei - Fullsize 7-seater

Utility

• Huixing - Subcompact Budget MPV
  • Huixing XL - Budget MPV
  • Starlight - Premium MPV
  • Galaxy - Van
  • Kulou - Premium Van
  • PK - Light Truck
13 Likes

Definitely not 1830 horsepower…
BTW, many designs are nice
But… where is the GLORIOUS HONGHU 88888888???

Vans, Vans, Vans

Being a Chinese automotive manufacturer pandering towards the… well… Chinese market, minibuses and 面包车 (mianbaoche) are essential to appeasing the less affluent areas. With this in mind, Huangdou rolled out their own competitors to the likes of Brilliance Jinbei, Changan and Liuzhou Wuling.

2012 Huangdou 彗星 (Huixing)

面包车 are rather popular in the less wealthy areas of China due to their sheer inexpensiveness, reliability and practicality. The Huixing was built with the competition of Wuling’s Sunshine and Changan’s Star in consideration. It used strut & torsion beam geometry, and unlike its competitors, was front-wheel-drive, allowing for more cargo space and the likes. The rear seats 3 in a bench configuration, while the front seats 2 in the typical cloth seat. Airbags were optional on higher-level trims. The Huixing made 87 horsepower out of a 1.3 inline-4 mated to a 5 speed transmission. This combination would send the humble 面包车 to 60 mph in 10.3 seconds. The Huixing costs roughly $5500.

Huangdou 彗星 (Huixing) 1387白云 (Baiyun)

The ubiquitous 面包车 would typically be taken over unpaved roads and softer soil. Huangdou decided to take advantage of this and create a factory custom offroad edition for the Huixing. The Baiyun, named after a mountain in the Guangdong region, would use the same powerplant. However, it received various upgrades such as a locking diff and retuned suspension. The Baiyun however, was slower, clocking in with a mere 12 second 0-60 time.

Trims for the Huixing range from a fleet version, up to a mid-spec Ag. Various special editions followed due to strong sales.

2019 Huangdou Galaxy

The Huangdou Galaxy was the company’s first few steps into the fleet market, locking horns with Jinbei’s Haise and other European competitors. The front end incorporated the late 2010s Huangdou fleet design language, with its large fox-like headlights followed by a humble grille. The Galaxy was front-wheel-drive and used a turbocharged inline-4 made by their sibling company Jinhe. The base model would use a five-speed manual while upper trims switched over to automatics.

21 Likes

Ignoring the fact that Ford makes an MPV with the same name in Europe, this latest large van looks and feels like it could make a splash in the Western market (again, mostly Europe, but North America wouldn’t be ruled out just yet). A passenger version would thus be a logical extension of the range.

Speak for your own Western market. Ford hasn’t sold a “Galaxy” badged car in North America since 1974. :wink: I think the Huangdou Galaxy would fit right in to the North American vans market… assuming it can pass US safety regulations which may be tricky given its origin :stuck_out_tongue:

It has come to my attention that Huangdou has taken this year’s prize for best new car company. Awesome outcome for something I barely touch due to my tight schedule. Thank you guys for your votes! I will possibly have some vehicles out during the winter break, one of them being the maiden vehicle :slight_smile:

59K8sSi

obligatory happy k-on gif

7 Likes

Maiden Voyage [OBSOLETE]

The 1979 Huangdou SJ1260DYQC (世界1260第一汽车)

Huangdou’s humble beginnings debuted with the Huangdou SJ1260DYQC; a China-only vehicle with a name that sounded more like a serial code to a washing machine than an actual vehicle.

The design was more avant-garde for its time, with an excess of chrome on the higher trims, as well as a body more fit for the early 70s than its actual production date.

Built as a competitor to Japan’s Civic, the SJ1260DYQC would use independent front suspension, while saving costs in the rear with a torsion beam. Fuel economy clocked in at 23.6 mpg, which was by no means as impressive as the Civic but adequate enough for the market it sold in.

Powered by a 60 horsepower 1.2L inline 4, the SJ was by no means fast, hitting 60 miles per hour in 14.6 seconds. The amenities were lacking as well, using old tech for safety to cut costs, as well as resorting to using a rear bench seat.

SJI1260DYQC Sport

A sport trim would also be created, cutting the 0-60 time by 0.4 seconds, done so by the added 4 horsepower from the basic engine.

17 Likes

Looks like a strange Corolla imo. Not bad looking but just strange.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

2015-2019 Huangdou Shijie (世界) [OBSOLETE]

From 1979 to 2019, the Huangdou Shijie has been the company’s best-selling commuter; a rival to compact sedans such as Geely Emgrand’s 7. The 2019 model would continue the Shijie’s tradition of affordability, holding true to the front-strut, trailing-arm chassis of its prior years. The Shijie would weigh around 2900-3000 pounds.

Cu

The Cu trim would be the least expensive option, priced at around $15500. Powered by a 154-horsepower 1.6L turbo inline-4, the Cu was able to achieve a combined 48.0 mpg (US) while still managing to hit 60 mph in 8.7 seconds, adequately quick enough for the Asian markets.

The Shijie Cu came standard with 16-inch alloy wheels, yet threw away trim and filled vents in places where doing so would save money. Notable locations consist of the front and rear fascias. The grille was also significantly smaller than its top trim.

Equipment consisted of Huangdou’s base-trim 5.5-inch infotainment system, and a backup camera.

Au

The Au was the top-of-the-line trim, adding extra detail on the exterior to make the vehicle look a lot more premium than its humble $23000 price tag. 17-inch alloys would replace the generic 16-inch ones seen on the Cu, while a small lip spoiler was added to the rear. Parking sensors and radar cruise control were added as a standard option, with leatherette seats included in the package as well. Seat heating, a panoramic sunroof and an inexpensive aftermarket-like HUD infotainment system were options, which would raise the price tag of the car by no more than $2500.

Sport

(very shitty) Huangdou Sport x Jay Chou Advertisement

As per Huangdou tradition, such vehicle would not skip out on a sport variant, nor avoid the likelihood that it would be painted in the classic Huangdou soybean yellow. Alongside its special colour, the grille got larger and more aggressive, while doorhandles and wheels were painted black. The headlights and taillights had black housings.

The power was upped to 209 horses, while the transmission was switched from a 6-speed automatic to a 6-speed manual, taking the Sport trim to 60 mph in 6.5 seconds. A limited-slip differential was added, while 18-inch alloys in 205-width tires replaced the 17s of the Au. Such would take the Shijie Sport around corners at 1.08g.

Compromises in terms of comfort were made in order to save weight, as the Sport would revert back to the basic 5.5-inch infotainment of the base model, while its parking sensors would be stripped entirely. The Shijie sport would be priced around $20000, with the ability to option it out similarily to the Au.

SportX

The SportX would make the Sport model even crazier, with AWD replacing its FWD drivetrain, as well as a dual-clutch transmission substituting the stick. A 308-horsepower Jinhe-developed 2.2L inline-4 replaced the modest 1.6 and took the SportX to 60 mph in a whopping 4.7 seconds. 19-inch wheels wrapped in 225-width sport-compound tires threw the Shijie into corners at a maximum 1.11g. Like the Sport, the infotainment was the basic 5.5 inch system while backup sensors were nonexistent. However, such could be optioned in similarly to the Sport trim.

18 Likes

(very shitty) Huangdou Sport x Jay Chou Advertisement

Mr. Chou, I don’t feel so good… I don’t wanna go…

10 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like

Huangdou at the NAIAS

Coverage on the new CC and SC can be found here.

6 Likes

Made me think of Honghu, and how ready I would be to buy a Chinese car

3 Likes

Changes to Huangdou’s Design Language

To shift the brand towards a more Chinese aesthetic, Huangdou’s design language is going to shift abruptly towards a new style. More specifically, a style similar to Roewe, Trumpchi and Changan’s current design language.

Seen here. The new Huangdou Shijie look

The former Huangdou Shijie, originally set to release for Auto Shanghai

This is in regards to the current design language looking rather… well… I’ll let you decide. All in all, the Hyundai-inspired look has grown on me, and these changes were much needed to the brand, at least in my eyes. Besides that, enjoy your day :smiley:

20 Likes

2020 Huangdou Huixing Series

Incredible, more vans. Two 面包车 to be exact. The Huixing name specifically deals with the brand’s least expensive MPVs and microvans. Based heavily on the Wuling Hongguang, the original Huixing after nearly a decade has been refreshed, and a properly-sized MPV version of the same model has been introduced.

Huixing Classic

I’ll repeat it again because I love repeating this. 面包车 are everywhere in China, and are essential for a carmaker in the country that wishes to pander to the less affluent municipalities. That being, the original Huixing has been mildly refreshed, giving it a more modern look. Underneath, the Huixing has stuck to its inexpensive roots, with a naturally-aspirated 1.2-litre inline-4 bringing 84 horsepower to the rear wheels.

Tech and safety are barren, as expected. There’s no backup camera, hell, no screen. A single airbag is provided for the driver and the driver only. You might as well be grateful that it at least has a USB port.

Because of this, the Huixing is damn reliable, damn dependable, and bulletproof off the tarmac, just like how any 面包车 should be.

The Huixing Classic starts at ~$7500, or around 38 000 CNY.

Huixing Classic Gallery

Huixing XL

Admittedly, I may have reverse-engineered the shit out of a Hongguang to make this, but I have zero regrets. This is the Huixing XL. A humble 7-seat competitor to the… you guessed it… Wuling Hongguang. It fits a class under the renowned Starlight, and like the Huixing Classic, it’s rear-wheel-drive with a 5-speed manual. Unlike the Huixing Classic however, the rear suspension is a much more comfortable trailing arm instead of the utilitarian leaf spring. The engine is still a 1.2-litre jug, however a turbocharger has been fit on it for a respectable 122 horsepower.

The base-model XL is, as always, cheap. However, a higher-end Au trim was offered. Despite this, said trim did not include what you would typically see on the highest-end Huangdou trims. The seats were a faux leather, there was no HUD but a typical 8-inch head unit instead. The wheels were still 14 inches. You still had to unlock the vehicle with a key instead of a doorhandle button. The vehicle used halogen lights. Not a single daytime running light is an LED. Despite this, the Au manages to stay rather comfortable regardless.

Like the Huixing Classic, offroad ability is still not neglected. The Huixing XL sits much higher than other MPVs from Indonesia, Japan and the likes. And because of that, the Huixing is aimed to satisfy the transportation needs of China’s least affluent areas, where roads are red dirt trails and red dirt trails are bumpy messes.

The Huixing XL starts at $8500 and moves up to just around $15 500.

Huixing XL Gallery

23 Likes

Ur designs are awesome!

1 Like

I have no choice but to agree with you. Everything on this thread is rolling proof that a Chinese car company can design a car that, on looks alone, is a viable competitor to other Far Eastern brands, and even several Western ones as well.

2 Likes

2020 Huangdou Starlight

The company’s flagship MPV since the beginning of time.

Remember the Starlight from CSR92? Pretend that shit never existed. This is the canon version of said vehicle, tuned and redesigned to better reflect the brand’s design language.

Unlike the Huixing series MPVs, the Starlight is significantly better-equipped. The Huangdou Virtual Assistant & HUD system, as well as the safety shield are available, while safety and interior is much improved along the classes. Instead of using the 1.2-litre powerplant of the Huixing series, all Starlights use the 1.6-litre turbo 4 instead.

Despite having around 180 horsepower, the Starlight is rather sluggish like its cheaper Huixing brother, with a 0-60 time of 10 seconds flat (Sport model being the only exception, with a 0-60 time of 7.0 seconds). Handling dynamics and comfort is much more refined however, with its double wishbone/multilink setup.

The Huixing is sold in domestic, Southeast-Asian, East-Asian and some middle-eastern markets, starting at $17500 and moving its way up to $36600 (as estimated in-game). Plans to move the vehicle into North-American and European markets is unknown at the time.

Gallery

Cu Gallery

Ag Gallery

Au Gallery

Sport Gallery

22 Likes

Huangdou Galaxy Series

Coming soon.

25 Likes