Killrob’s “The Fastest Cars in the World” Challenge

wat… how so soon?

For me, I was getting a lot of quick bankruptcies because I was too focused on making the car more desirable and forgetting that demand isn’t necessarily very high for these kind of cars, so one wouldn’t sell very much anyway. So while I was getting competitiveness scores (in GT, GTP, Super and sometimes Track P) of like 130 easily, my demand would be something like 1/5 of projected. That’s a lot of engineering money and time down the drain.

lel yeah. so much to consider about. desirable now might not be on the future.

then there’s familiarity. something that’s hard and takes long to make now will take even longer if you only started doing it later on.

and then market size to production capacity. just go with tiny factory on your first car and then small 1 on the 2nd, and stay there until you feel you can always sell out your cars.

I take it you’re buying a small plot first, then going from a tiny factory to a small one later right?

yes. well in my case. i even bought the medium plot. because later on. it’s kinda easier to break into the more sensible and bigger markets

ok let’s try to make something with more reasonable costs…

Immediate result:

And this, folks, is why when GG hired Strop to design their cars they had to constantly tell him ‘no, you can’t do that’.

7 Likes

Building speed record breaking cars and reasonable should not be said in same sentence. Normally you would not, but normally you can have cash crop cars on the side and this is what makes the challenge hard.

I “won” the challenge and built car that could reach 450km/h. Lot of this was luck as every time new model started producing economy boomed.

Observations on challenge that may (not) help you.

You need market awareness! 25% or 10% awareness means your cars sell only fraction what they could, to fix this you need to have cheaper option that sells like food at foodstore.

The most expensive thing in this challenge is not money. It’s time. Car that takes 7 years to develop and sells 25 000 is worse than car that takes 5 and sells 24 000. Because during development old car is going to become undesirable and will not sell and because development takes so long “new” car starts old. Keep eye on the engineering time.

Engineers. I made mistake of using starting points to tech and not second engineer. My choice of chassis engineer let me build more sophisticated bodies while engine had to rely on part familiarity which means cast iron block till the 2010. I suggest taking a look at DOHC engineer.

I hope some of this helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was considering this. Can somebody tell me just how much harder adjusting the markup and competitiveness makes things?

I had kind of an opposite problem. The cars in this challenge are way ahead of their time in terms of performance, so they might even sell better when they’re on sale for longer. For example, when the ‘Supercar’ market came up, it gave me a huge push in sales.

I went for aluminium block as soon as it came up.

Well … you don’t :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve played it through with only selling speed record trims.

Another tip that might help:

Design your engines so that they have the maximum possible peak power* and set your gearing so that top speed is at peak power rpm. I’ve been mostly using cam profiles of 95-ish.

* The exception for that is turbos, don’t over-do it with the boost, undrivable cars don’t sell :stuck_out_tongue:
I think my only car that had over 1 bar of boost was the 2010 one, which was an AWD insanity that also didn’t need to sell in huge numbers because it was engineered in mid-2018.

1 Like

You played with impossible hard difficulty, that is impressive. My engineering cost for 02 and 10 cars were over billion Automation Dollars and how you managed to finance that with just record cars is achievement.

1 Like

Market tanked, too big of a factory, cars cost too much, too much engineering time, too much on research too soon. Basically did everything a bit wrong.

I actually did that for my run…I just keep getting the same bug for top speed being nil and the game crashes.

I probably should have gone with a v8 or v12 to start with because I found it really difficult to get to 183mph for the '50’s with an inline 6.

A tip: sacrifice all reliability for quick engineering times. I was outputting cars with less than 5 reliability and they still sold over 200 cars between like '48 and '50 and made over 40 mil. If you need more money just wait another year. Ideally I wanted to have about 200mil to work with on the next model.

I think to join this crazy challenge, but first i need to convince Fruinia people to buy my polish cars ;_;
They think this whole car top speed idea is a scam :smiley:

PS: After 3rd try I think I got ‘Racist-Fruinia’ that says everytime that any Polish car is crap.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/78/788d7237ecca60d8d235cb352eab832f472264065a048fcd24adc834f0ca82f0.jpg

Now i see why i shouldn’t even try 2.0 difficulty… it is weird and misleading.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s not gone too well for me… I can’t even get a single sale, my cars are total piles of crap that go super fast… then disintegrate.

4 Likes

hahaha based ony what i have done and seen. i can see at least half of the youtuber doing this challenge failing it on the first try :joy:

@strop right lots of tips incoming

when you design a car, after a rough sketch, put up the markup to like 10-20% less to what markup you are aiming for. i.e if you hope the car could sell with 80% markup, use 60% markup on the estimated price. then fine tune it from there.

early on, you don’t want to make big profits. but rather you want to sell as much car as possible to build up familiarity, so your later cars can sell more easily. just make enough so that you survive, or break even.

familiarity is one thing that’s pretty scary here. you can go cheap and simple to make and engineer early on, which will bite you in the ass later on. but i, chose to tackle 4 valve DOHC from the very start. but either way, going single minded on this part is a good idea. start with type of engine and valvetrain. stick to it until the end. and i didn’t aim to lower the engineering time later on, but rather so i can use more quality sliders without much engineering time penalty later on. but it can be used for either.

personally i have been doing okay time wise with just limiting the amount of quality sliders i use and not having any engineer.up to the 1975 car, aim for, at worst, 6 years engineering time. but try to get it below 5 years.

2 Likes

ok good points. Problem is, I’ve done all of that. Given the economy graphs I’m getting, I’m going to have to assume that I’ve had some extraordinarily bad luck because for some reason the moment I enter the market in, say, 1950-1951, Fruinia invariably tanks. :joy:

then do you remember the desirability score of your first and second car then?

also plugs.

2nd Ep is up

I do have to say using a “reasonable” trim in there is quite helpful. I may have to resort to that, but part of me feels like that’s admitting defeat somehow.

#[color=#dd6600]DuesenBAM - 1955-64 (Part 2/8)[/color]

Here is the second episode of my approach. Sound should be better this time. The third episode will probably not arrive before Monday.

1 Like

one step at a time… just finish it first and then retry it again with what you _feel_is right