King of the Hill (Round 6)

#KOTH ROUND 3 RESULTS

@Dorifto_Dorito This looks promising. Engine from a War Rig, clearly. So much power. So much noise! You could make it spin the wheels all the way to Valhalla. Arrive backwards, tires blazing on fire! But the engine looks a bit vulnerable. And drinks all the guzzoline. Maybe not this one then.

@Nomade0013 Knobbly tires, robust suspension. This could carve the desert. But the Vee Eight is very small compared to the previous car. Only eleven litres. And the car is a bit on the light and flimsy side. When you turn off the dunes and into a brawl, you might not be coming out again.

@Lordred Ohhhh, this one you like. This one you love. The engine is in the truck bed, right over the rear wheels and takes up most of the space. But you know this would fire off the line like the valve cover off that vee eight Frax did a “tuneup” on so you would have no problem getting warboys to hang slightly off the side. Very shiny. Very chrome. But is it the best?

@phale Yes. This is it. No getting around it. You could get in front of it, but it would go right over you. Not so much power, perhaps a bit on the soft side, but when the going gets rough you could hang with Victus and Immortan Bob himself. And bring a full battle party of warboys along. You would not be the fastest, but you would be historic.

Congratulations to @phale on the win! Well done :slight_smile:

(I note that the body Lordred used does not normally allow a rear engine to be used. However, I was able to get it to register with one by switching bodies mid build, so it seems to fall somewhere in the gray area.)

7 Likes

Thanks @HowlerAutomotive, this was a fantastic idea for a round! :smiley:

For this challenge I quickly recognized the importance of reliability and off-road, so that was the baseline for my approach. Also, choosing the right body with 6+4 seating was a big help too of course. Turbos kill reliability at this time so I went NA with lower power output. In testing I also found that I could get more points with more economy instead of more power.

The rest of the build was essentially trying to squeeze as much off-road ability as possible. Obviously 4x4, manual locker, chunky tires, and skidtray were useful, but one thing that some people might not have noticed is that high braking power gives large off-road bonuses. I used big discs with multiple pistons and race pads. Another thing is that off-roading demands short but widely-spaced gears, and since neither wheelspin nor top speed were an issue I just geared it as short as possible while still being able to complete the standing km. I also went -15 no safety which certainly didn’t help with the weight but gave me room for the big brakes as well as +6 quality on body and fixtures for reliability.

Since I have already hosted a round very recently, I’d like to pass off the next round to @Lordred or @Nomade0013 if he is not available :wink:

7 Likes

I has an idea, give me 48 hours (due to work) and I’ll have another session for us.

4 Likes

Something based on rally (based WRC), or a marketing game about going up market?

I have two ideas rough drafted, which sounds more fun.

WRC :grin:

1993 The last years of Group A

Seemingly the last decade, with brief intermissions, those darn Maytalians Have been dominating the sport, even worse during the last six years the company Lancinne has been winning the coveted Manufactures Championship. This has to end, and the timing couldn’t be better, as Lancinne has pulled out of the WRC, now there are still private entries running the time proven Lancinne Kappa VS Replete hoping to squeeze out another win. But a popular and growing Ninpan based company has has had a whole year to work out the problems they faced last year and are poised to displace the Maytalians this year. Though they aren’t the only ones who want to see some one else on the podium.

Rules:
You are building a FiA Group A regulation race car* (lore is optional)
If a rule isn’t present, it isn’t a rule.

Year: 1993

Platform:
AWD/4WD

Engine:
Turbocharged Inline-Four
Max Displacement 1995cc
Max Compressor Wheel size: 34mm (To Simulate 34mm restriction plate)
Max Engineering Time: 200
Minimum Reliability: 28

Chassis:
Minimum Weight: 1230kg
Tire Compound: Off Road
Max Tire Quality: +6
No Launch Control or ABS
Minimum Safety 35 (these cars regularly go over cliffs, the driver needs to survive)
Max Engineering 150

You will be racing The Pikes Peak International Hill-Climb Which can be found for download at this link.

The Only stats that effect your score is your Lap time, Drivability, and Offroad (the courses are dirt after all)
Link to Google Doc

Deadline: Jan-27-2017 9PM- PST (GMT-8)

The Lancinne Kappa VS Replete

11 Likes

Another rally round! Perfect for Cavallera’s lore… but bad for me. Big chance I’ll fuck this up and taint the rally division

Prototype no.1 (timewise I doubt there will be another):
Track Time (the green one) under 600
Just for heads up…

Oh and I really like that we are doing hill-climb for King of the hill challenge. Seems appropriate :slight_smile:

Can you tell me what you did, in adaquate timemay have resulted in over weighting a stat

Well…I have built a better car. :wink:

More info in pm, but I did not exploit any rule-holes, just all my stats that count are better.

@AirJordan pointed out a good flaw to me, if you guys will allow for me to tweak the weighting a little after work that would be great. If you guys dont want me to tweek it tonight then it will stand.

I should have kept my mouths shut I say let it stand, I don’t know if I can manage another car so I don’t wan’t to be out this way.
But let the majority decide.

Fix the bug, lore-man!

Either way is good to me, I’ll only make my build after Jan/23

Stats Fixed, track time still counts for more, but other stats will always help now, instead of hinder I had foolishly made the bonuses progressive (not what I intended) they now have diminishing returns

Updated Kappa time to reflect changes

2 Likes

I take it the engine HAS to be turbocharged? Because the poor thing would be much happier without it.

So would the turbos with no restriction.

1 Like

Fair enough :slight_smile:

EDIT: The rules say launch control, which is not available. I’m going to assume you meant traction control.

I assumed it was a trick :slight_smile:

My car got corrupted…I have trim-saving problem again so I hope I’ll manage to rebuild it in time.

I was suspicious as well, that’s why I asked. :smiley: