King of the Hill (Round 6)

Cutoff in 4 hours

1 Like

Ok, Iā€™ll make a really fast-build Surge rally. I hope.

Closed: Submissions were sadly very low.

Sorry, couldnā€™t make it on time.

I just donā€™t understand why so few people have submitted a car for this latest round, especially with such a compelling backstory.

It is a shame, considering that this looks like a fun challenge. I guess the many car shows might be causing less people to join. Im not sure though

My problem was a sudden lack of time. I had the time in my schedule to build a entry, but suddenly my time was gone.
Yesterday I should already had send you a entry, send a CSR entry and modded a DSD Saratoga, but could do none of it until now.

Same here. I would normally advocate for extending the time limit as the interest is there, but unfortunately canā€™t do it on my own behalf because I wonā€™t have time to put together a decent car for at least another weekā€¦ and I donā€™t think youā€™d want to drag it on that long.

Well since i only got 3 entries. It is up to you guys. But it was already a week +2 days.if you want to submit and can make the time im finalizeing things tonight after work. (In 12 hours)

Unfortunately, I also didnā€™t have time to make anything worthwhile after my lore based entries proved highly uncompetitive (but at least they looked good while doing soā€¦) But thatā€™s why I didnā€™t bother entering it despite liking the latest rounds challenges and backstory.

sorry same here, I made an early attempt but it got corrupted and than time just smashed me :confused: will try to put something together in next few hours but cant promise.

Damn, guess theres only going to be 3 cars tonight after work.

Iā€™m sorry, Lordred. Your idea was really good, you put quite a lot of effort into it. But Iā€™m quite bored of min-maxxing stats in automation, especially given how slow my pc is running the game at the moment. And tuning suspensions is definitely about fiddling and trying to find the best set up.

All I can say is, thumps up for your effort.

3 Likes

Sorry, man, my life have gone upside down. Until morning I would move to a city 1450km away, now I wonā€™t move anymore, so with everything changing quickly I couldnā€™t finish the car I started (since Iā€™m away from the pc).
This have been a sad development for the challenge, but Iā€™m sure itā€™ll revive.

@HowlerAutomotive @Riso @Dorifto_Dorito @phale

The Death of Group A

By: Fredrick Legrodian.

In years past we have seen the rise and fall of what is acclaimed as the greatest class in World Rally, Group B gave manufactures free reign to push further into the envelope than nearly any other form of automotive racing in history. With that came the realization that the appeal of the sport, insane speeds and reckless nature of its rabid base has left us at an impasse, we needed to slow down.

Group A has always been home to the production car, the rules are tight and the competition is stiff, and absolutely everyone has been biting at the chomps for a chance to take away the Championship trophy from the Maytlians. Afterall, they have dominated the WRC with win after win nearly from the inception of the association in 1973. Maytaly has claimed 10 of the 20 cup wins, with Lancine holding most of those. They were the undisputed powerhouse, so when they pulled their works team in 1992 and it was announced only private teams would enter in 1993 we had high hopes that the other manufactures of the world would clamber in for the chance to win, how wrong we were.

This yearā€™s turn out, was abysmal. When word that Lancine had pulled from the event entirely it sent shockwaves running through the Automotive world. The titan of the WRC has decided to end its domination of the sport not with a whimper, but with a denial to all other companies, and it is clear, that the previous years of rampant development was more a battle to take the title away, than to merely take the throne. Record low attendance and countless manufacture pullouts resulted in a scant field of independent drivers and new comers hoping to make a name for themselves. Dare this reporter say, that group A is done for, and I fear all the WRC if this trend continues in following years.

With a field comprising mostly of time proven vehicles from Furt, Audit, Talbout, and Merbezez, newcomers such as Howler, Riso, and ERC were welcome additions.

It is odd however to see the regulations so brazenly challenged as they have been by Howler, who categorized the Cliffhanger as a modified wagon which dangerously flirts with light truck territory. The Riso, a forward minded ā€˜hatchbackā€™ targeted at todayā€™s youth much like those coming from Ninpan, and finally the ERC which is a full-blown homologation special with a production model lacking any creature comforts.

It should be noted that while the Howler Cliffhanger has not violated any rules, it is clearly a faux-pass which if Group A survives for another season will be remedied.

Results:
4th Place: The ERC Rally car, a forward and progressive design, while manufactures claimed the vehicle complied with all FiA rules, the ERC weighed just under regulation but was allowed to add a few KG of ballast to race, returning a time of 12min 4sec. If ERC can work out the kinks, this should prove to be an incredible car if the class continues.

3rd Place: The venerable Lancine Kappa VS Replete making the hill climb in 11min 59sec

2nd Place: The enticing Riso, following nicely with the look we can hope to expect in the following years, managed the hill climb in 11min 56sec.

1st Place: The Howler Cliffhanger, which fueled outrage, this truck wagon went on to make the hill climb in a record shattering 10min 46sec. Howler has very successfully found a gap in the rules and clearly made that into an advantage much like the Amerisen racing company Penskay which was thrust into the limelight for similar rule lawyering in the 70s. WRC founder was overheard saying ā€œWhat a garbage, garbage win.ā€ As he shook his head in disbelief.

Official time card.

Congratulations to Howler Automotive, you produced the fastest vehicle by a landslide and offended the world, Never stop.

I want it to be plain, I am not upset with @HowlerAutomotive in ANYWAY, this was just a fluff piece and is my style.

10 Likes

Iā€™ll say it again: @HowlerAutomotive is a proper genius! You certainly know how to make the most out of older bodies which should not have any real chance of being viable, and using them to create record-breaking machines. Granted, your hillclimb car looks more like something built for the Dakar Rally, but it still looks cool. So how did you make it so fast up the hill?

1 Like

Thanks @Lordred for the great ruleset and write-up! Iā€™ll write about the car properly a bit later.

To prevent wastage of any time, I should say that I wonā€™t be able to run a round due to time constraints (and I just hosted one recently).

4 Likes

Falls to @Riso

I didnā€™t really expect to win so I have nothing prepared.

Any ideas?

Think of some kind of stat in Automation for a particular era of car that you feel is heavily neglected. Like drivability in the 40s (the original challenge).

Hm. Actually no wonder people are starting to mix it up. Like Leo said, just straight up min-maxxing gets tedious, but this was supposed to be a training exercise, so.