Pikes Peak Automation Hill Climb 2015 [RESULTS]

Hello, and welcome to Pikes Peak, Colorado! Normally, the PPIHC takes place around June each year, but I just finished the map, so why wait?

[size=85]Original photo taken by Thomas Galenbeck[/size]

Every year, several brave/crazy souls take their machines and pit their courage and skills against one of the toughest hillclimbs in the world. Legendary for the rally drivers that dominated it when half of it was gravel, ever since it was completely paved in 2012, the times have tumbled and contrary to expectations, registrations soared through the roof. Even after the utterly dominant and to many disconcertingly fast record set by Seb Loeb in 2013, with the purpose built Peugeot 208 T16, the other times continue to tumble as other competitors catch up.

But the mountain is a dangerous one, with no guard rails to stop you from plunging into the rocks, and, on occasion, to your death. Tune your machine wisely, lest you end up like our friend Jeremy Foley:

[size=85]At least he walked away with little more than a broken arm. Others have not been so fortunate.[/size]

With that preamble out of the way, let’s get ready to race! I’ve drawn up rules for the four main classes (plus a couple of subclasses) that regularly run for four-wheeled vehicles. In similar style to the real PPIHC, if there are less than six entries for any particular class, that class will be disbanded. Instead, I will merge the entries from that class into the next most appropriate class with the competitor’s consent.

As you can see, the rules for the Open Class and the Unlimited Class have strong parallels to the usual leaderboards, because this is how we’re going to kick the leaderboard off! The TAPC and TATC classes have rules that are derived from the PPIHC manual.

[size=150]WAIT, WHAT? WE HAVE A PIKES PEAK TRACK?[/size]

We do now!

[size=150]NOW I KNOW THE RULES, HOW DO I ENTER?[/size]

You can’t, entries are now closed wahahahahahahaha!

[size=150]CERTIFIED COMPETITORS[/size]

[size=200]Top Trump Cards[/size] (with many thanks to BlastersPewPew for their help! Half the comments are mine, the other half are either quoting or heavily based off Blasters’ comment. I won’t tell you which one is which :wink: )

Production
[ol]]8bs Portugal GT Vinte/:m]
]Chipskate Japan Toyoko “Ugly Duckling”/:m]
]Dragawn Belgium Dragotec Blitz/:m]
]HighOctaneLove Australia S12 ‘Maverick’/:m]
]leo9613 Brazil Clockwork Orange/:m]
]MITTNACHT Germany Bee PPE/:m]
]nialloftara USA CPV Marauder/:m]
]NormanVauxhall Italy Znopresk Zeus/:m]
]np1993 Canada Shark Concept/:m]
]Razyx Spain Manhell Scarfox/:m]
]Rollarider10 Australia Mercusa Nero Race/:m]
]VicVictory USA Ardent Corvallis X/:m][/ol]
Tuned
[ol]]07CobaltGirl USA ZX53GT Pikes Peak Edition/:m]
]HighOctaneLove Australia S12 ‘Doomkitten’/:m]
]Jastrzab84 Poland 15 Immortal Pikes Peak TC/:m]
]leo9613 Brazil Fugu Twin-Turbo/:m]
]MITTNACHT Germany Bee Pikes Peak Special/:m]
]nialloftara USA Marauder GTZ/:m]
]np1993 Canada Rally Zoope Carbon Edition/:m]
]Rollarider10 Australia Mercusa Nero APEX/:m][/ol]
Open
[ol]]BurningBridges Germany RS215P Turbo/:m]
]HighOctaneLove Australia S12 ‘Overclocked’/:m]
]JasonPoland Poland PolMot Prototipo/:m]
]MITTNACHT Germany Pikes Peak Killer Bee/:m]
]nialloftara USA Python Prototype/:m]
]rileybanks UK Banks Debrauna Pikes Peak Edition/:m][/ol]
Heavy
[ol]]BlastersPewPew USA Desert Tortoise/:m]
]F17Francesco Italy S.RAZIEL VAN (PP ed.)/:m]
]HighOctaneLove Australia Special Delivery/:m]
]Leo9613 Brazil 9-Seater Timewarp/:m]
]Lothoren UK Dalora Fun Wagon PPH/:m]
]luilakkie Netherlands unnamed/:m]
]MITTNACHT Germany Luxury Hatch Concept/:m]
]NiuYorkCiti Argentina Ponni Bargo Concept PP-R (overheated, revision pending)/:m]
]np1993 Canada Carico Magnum Turbo/:m]
]Razyx Spain Speedline Cargo RS/:m]
]rileybanks UK Banks Transepto Pikes Peak Edition/:m]
]TheTom Austria 2015 AMW Grizzly Pikes Peak Edition/:m]
]VicVictory N/A 2015 SportTanic Rally Edition/:m][/ol]
Vintage
[ol]]07CobaltGirl USA E30 M3 (327 Crate)/:m]
]BurningBridges Germany RS189 Turbo/:m]
]EnryGT5 Japan EGT Achernar 89PP/:m]
]F17Francesco Italy RAZIEL LMP89/:m]
]HighOctaneLove Australia S12 ‘Endora’/:m]
]Jastrzab84 Poland PP-D2/:m]
]np1993 Canada 1989 Prato Rally Zoope Hillclimber/:m]
]rileybanks UK Banks Debrauna 89/:m]
]TheTom Austria 1987 AMW Boa/:m]
]VicVictory Japan Suzume Kaminari GS-R/:m]
]xABSOLUTIONx Latvia AED T13TT/:m][/ol]
Unlimited
[ol]]8bs Portugal Alien/:m]
]AshleyBlack Australia 2015 Nero Senza Limiti/:m]
]BurningBridges Germany RS215 Turbo/:m]
]HighOctaneLove Australia S12 ‘Smaug’/:m]
]LeSpass Spain AC LMP2 Pikes Peak/:m]
]Lothoren UK Dalora Fun Wagon PPU/:m]
]MITTNACHT Germany Hornet/:m]
]np1993 Canada Peak Slayer/:m]
]RaduST Romania Gemina XIII GTX HCS/:m]
]rileybanks UK Banks Krtica/:m]
]TheTom Austria AMW Scarab Pikes Peak Edition/:m]
]vmo Spain R8TTX4/:m]
]xABSOLUTIONx Latvia AED Destroyer/:m][/ol]

[size=200]Results![/size]

So excited! Some quick questions;

Can we enter a car in every class?

Can you post a vintage class so we can enter a 5th car?

Is five cars per entrant going to make this the single most prolific car competition in Automation history?

Are all my questions worth answering?

Have a nice day strop :slight_smile:

Quick answers:

Yes, okay I’ll do that but if there are less than six pre-1990 entries I’ll merge the entries (like PPIHC rules. You’ll have to pick which car to use if it conflicts with an existing entry). In fact since pyrlix is releasing a huge ‘van’, I’m going to open a heavy vehicles class too, once I get back from work.

Next question: that depends on how many people feel up to taking on the mountain!

Finally I think so, hope that answered your questions :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW: some other rule changes are in the works. The TA classes are road legal so they’ll be needing cats.

[quote=“strop”]Quick answers:

Yes, okay I’ll do that but if there are less than six pre-1990 entries I’ll merge the entries (like PPIHC rules. You’ll have to pick which car to use if it conflicts with an existing entry). In fact since pyrlix is releasing a huge ‘van’, I’m going to open a heavy vehicles class too, once I get back from work.

Next question: that depends on how many people feel up to taking on the mountain!

Finally I think so, hope that answered your questions :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW: some other rule changes are in the works. The TA classes are road legal so they’ll be needing cats.[/quote]

Excellent! I’ll wait for your rule changes and then I’ll begin prepping my fleet!!! :laughing: :smiley: :laughing: :smiley: :laughing:

Are there any plans to separate 2WD and 4WD like the real Pikes Peak Hillclimb?

The raw traction advantage makes so much of a difference.

I didn’t see that in the 2015 PPIHC manual! I’ll have another look but could I trouble you to point that out for me?

im gonna be making cars for each class =)

My bad, I had forgotten that the entire track was paved a few years ago. Consider request retracted.

(Wait, does the Automation track editor even allow one to build gravel surfaces? I actually don’t know.)

I think I have the perfect car to modify for the Unlimited Class. Time to see what Black can really do!

[quote=“Sayonara”]My bad, I had forgotten that the entire track was paved a few years ago. Consider request retracted.

(Wait, does the Automation track editor even allow one to build gravel surfaces? I actually don’t know.)[/quote]

Not really. You can up the “sportiness” rating of the road to Max but all that does is make it super bumpy and terrible. I doubt it emulates gravel, furthermore the driver can’t drift etc. So it’d make for a poor simulation.

I’m not sure if I’m done with this yet. Everytime I think I am I find a way to go even faster, so I’ll hang onto it.
Also is this body part of the mod pack? I can’t remember if I got it from there or from the creator’s (Trackpaduser) thread

While other possible competitors are still discussing about their plans of building a car for the terrifying mountain, AMW has already done so. And they’ve done it with this. See you at the start line of the U-class, mates! :slight_smile:

That body is legit. I’ll accept any body that’s been published in the 3d modder forum, so if you wanna race to the clouds in a Jimmy, you’re more than welcome to!

knew I should keep it! I just shaved off another .2 of a second!
Expect this one to be a last minute entry, Strop

I think I’ll enter with modified version of the Gemina XIII supercars used in BSLL and AAT.

The SCUDERIA RAZIEL want to compete in 2015 Pikes Peak Hill Climb but with the financial crisis the budget is limited, we can’t build a new car.
The solution? The revamped 1989 Le Mans Car RAZIEL LMP89
A state of the art (in '89) car with PikesPeak Short gear and tuned suspension (and powerful motor :wink: ) here to compete in Vintage Class

P.S. It’s historically correct: The Sauber C9 (winner of 1989 24h LeMans) have the same displacement, about the same power (-10%) but is lighter (-20%)

EDIT
Look what we have found in the warehouse! another engine from the '89 le mans car!!
What we will do with this? Spare? AHAHAHAHAH
Our support van seems a bit underpowered.
It don’t fit very well, we have had to cut the front bumper, but with the new wheel arches and new tires look fast
I’m glad to present you the new SCUDERIA RAZIEL VAN (PP edition)

We only need to find a driver brave enough

When you can beat the pre 2013 record with a car weighing 2 tons, you know the game still needs a bit of balancing.

I found it REALLY difficult to balance this track for a number of reasons (the guys on the IRC chat were witness to a number of my nonsensical ruminations):

[ul]]NA cars lose up to 30% power due to altitude, so technically they should go slower/:m]
]However, increasing the sportiness rating of the road disadvantages turbos really badly, so I can’t do that/:m]
]So I just all around penalised everybody by using a Corner_Coefficient stat to slow the cars down to keep the times even a bit real (otherwise despite the segments and gradients being well matched and the distance and total elevation being bang on, the cars were doing ridiculous times around the track/:m]
]While every single corner on the track is in fact good camber, I suspect I may have cambered the hairpins too much, so I will check the results of this tournament and use them to recalibrate the track in its entirety. I suspect I will do the same again once the build with the mechanics has been finalised./:m]
]Yet at the same time, I’m finding cars with not even 300hp can still do sub 11 minute times around the track. This being said, they’re far from production car trim and have been tuned quite well but even then they’re doing much better than they should. I was hoping to get times of 13-14 minutes for those. Then again, I wonder how they would really have done when you get Seb Loeb behind the wheel…/:m][/ul]
Anyway, once the results are published, I’ll look for opinions and ways on how to better balance the track to match the simulation. I’m not sure a perfect solution exists though.

Strop, i know you wanted to hear this, prepare for awesomeness.

epic silence

We’re entering the Achernar X90’s predecessor, the EGT Achernar 89PP, which looks insane and probably would scare the shit out of Seb Loeb.
It has the X90’s same chassis, but with polymer body panels. The design is pretty similar, but with awesome sealed beam rally-ready headlights and a wing so big it causes tornadoes, so, are you excited? The engine is a complete secret right now… i can’t tell you any detail whatsoever, it’s going to be a big surprise.

By the way, the X90 was going to be called 90P2, and used in the 1990 Pikes Peak, but never got completed because the funds were cut, only the chassis and body were ready, we had to stick a modernized prototype engine in the mofo

Also… did i mention that we’re also entering other cars in this? :mrgreen:

Images and POWAAAAAAH coming soon.

Added the image for you already :stuck_out_tongue: