Pikes Peak Automation Hill Climb 2015 [RESULTS]

I think i will participate in the vintage class… with a surprise

so no cost cap on open, heavy or vintage?

Well i might be entering at least 1 class, Just not sure which.

Correct! The “heavy” class is a bit of a made up class which I’m referencing because some crazy people occasionally throw semi rigs up the mountain, back when the class formerly existed. Mike, has, in fact, driven the truck up the mountain in not much over 11 minutes, nearly on par with the record for the Time Attack 1 production class. A freightliner isn’t exactly the optimal kind of heavy vehicle to drive up Pikes Peak, either, so I’m sure you can do much better, if you so choose.

What I like to think is that I’ve given people a choice of how much restriction they like in their challenge. It’s a new track which requires further tweaking, I suspect, but it’s all exploration at your own pace.

my time has gone down (as in slower) by 42 seconds without changing anything on the car? Any idea why? I’m kind of freaking out about this

Woah. Are you clicking through all the tabs to check your aero? That being said even like 3 sq m of effective drag isn’t going to slow your car down by that much… that’s really weird.

Ah well, I’ve still got heaps of time to work on it some more. My only concern is that when I send it to you, you’ll get a drastically different time than when I have it.
I’m running through and trying a few things, but I don’t think I’ll be getting those 42 seconds back haha
I think I gained the 42 seconds as a glitch. Because what happened is I relocated a vent (two huge vents to four smaller vents), then gained the 42 seconds, then lost them upon a second run without changing anything

In your PM feel free to specify the time you think you got. There IS unfortunately some variability due to some funny things going on when the .luas get parsed. But I tend to go over all of the file before I test it on the track and don’t encounter any of those issues.

I sometimes magically lose time when bits of the .lua get changed but don’t update until much later after I’ve done adjustments elsewhere. Especially, for example, when I go back to editing the platform. It’s likely to be somewhere in there.

I’m in for Unlimited class! Legatum will enter with a Legatum Cyrus (this car: automationhub.net/company-ca … rmodel/333), but not with a regular one, but with the mighty RD-R Pikes Peak Edition!

Here is a preview of the car:

Still working on this thing, but it already has more than 1:1 power to weight ratio. :wink:

Here are my entries, I’ll post only one pic as they all look similar but I just wanna thank strop for this comp as it fired up my imagination and resulted in me making these beauties/beasts!!! :ugeek:

The S12 Gazelle appreciation club has arrived at Pikes Peak and are here to stamp their mark on this, most auspicious, competition!

Geoffrey “By Jingo!” Bigglesworth is the Vintage entrant with his heavily modified but “stock” S12. Featuring mothballed JDM ultralight bodywork, Mr Bigglesworth trusts in the power of his multi-carbed CA20E :slight_smile:

147Kw, 195Nm, 5.8 sec 0-100, 13.9 sec Q/mile, 222Km/h vmax

Taylor “Petal” Nash is the TAPC entrant; this young buck is looking to prove his worth and (hopefully) score with one of the flag girls! His S12 features a Tomei tuned CA18DE and he feels he’s definately in with a chance of winning a prize!

166Kw, 197Nm, 5.8 sec 0-100, 14 sec Q/mile, 221Km/h vmax

Tanja “Hardcore” Smith is the TAT entrant who has big plans to run her own tuning house. The first product of her shop is her S12; running a JDM spec QR25DD and lightweight parts, this S12 is far from stock! :open_mouth:

218Kw, 291Nm, 4.9 sec 0-100, 12.8 sec Q/mile, 275Km/h vmax

Next are the two big guns of the S12 appreciation society; two friends who made it big in IT and are now fulfilling their wildest S12 dreams! :smiley:

Jesse “Team Rocket” James owns the first part of this dynamic duo. His S12 was fully rebuilt in 2000 with seam welding, integral roll cage and removal of un-needed parts resulting in a lighter, stronger shell. Originally a VG30DETT lived in the engine bay but when it blew, Jesse installed the beast that now currently resides in the engine bay. The VK45DE was subject to a full rebuild and Nismo race parts installed to produce one hard tuned weapon. :sunglasses:

457Kw, 560Nm, 4.3 sec 0-100, 11.5 sec Q/mile, 334Km/h vmax

Peter “Furious” Ambler is the wild man of the bunch with his S12 being custom made, in 2000, out of carbon fiber and has been adapted to accept the suspension and drivetrain of an R34 GT-R to harness the power of his extreme engine. Initially sporting the RB26DETT, in 2013 Peter wanted to enter the Pikes Peak and purchased a Nismo race engine direct from the catalogue to power his attempt at the title. The engine in question BTW is a VK56VD which is both extremely powerful AND blessed with an over-abundance of torque! :smiley: :sunglasses: :smiley:

655Kw, 775Nm, 2.5 sec 0-100, 9.3 sec Q/mile, 366Km/h vmax

“The Mechanic”

A shadowy figure who’s here to “help” the S12 appreciation society but has secretly entered the parts van into the race after making some “adjustments” to it Bunta-style!!!

I too will take a van up the peaks!

some of PMC’s heritage and new age concept cars will make appearances also :wink:

Loving it! Keep em rolling, and I’ll keep checking em in (shortly).

DISASTER STRIKES for Black Automotive as Catagory 5 cyclone Marcia rips through Rockhampton leaving the entire town without power!!! (Which makes driving at night interesting in an eerie zombie apocolypse way)
Anyway this means my computer will not work (it’s bloody anarchy here, the computer is the LEAST of my worries) so Strop, please use the car I already sent you as my entry if I don’t get a second one to you in time. I probably won’t as they say power won’t be restored for another FORTNIGHT!!! dies

[quote=“AshleyBlack”]DISASTER STRIKES for Black Automotive as Catagory 5 cyclone Marcia rips through Rockhampton leaving the entire town without power!!! (Which makes driving at night interesting in an eerie zombie apocolypse way)
Anyway this means my computer will not work (it’s bloody anarchy here, the computer is the LEAST of my worries) so Strop, please use the car I already sent you as my entry if I don’t get a second one to you in time. I probably won’t as they say power won’t be restored for another FORTNIGHT!!! dies[/quote]

Stay safe buddy and best of luck to you! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Oh my goodness you’re in Rockhampton!!! Stay safe and, I dunno, make another Harlem Shake parody video? :wink:

[quote=“strop”]

Oh my goodness you’re in Rockhampton!!! Stay safe and, I dunno, make another Harlem Shake parody video? :wink:[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Your terrible strop (remember Muriel’s Wedding and this is hilarious, honest!)

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

After tinkering with cars I have discovered that the following ideas don’t work very well:

• 1983 Corolla with 7M-GTEU swap (no MPFI, wow that cast iron 3L I6 is heavy)
  • AWD hatchback (wishbones where)
  • AWD transverse sedan (worse than a hatchback in all respects)
  • AWD minivan (I am apparently terrible at building heavy things)
  • BMW Z4-inspired 3.0L I6 roadster (insufficient traction)

At this point I may well revert to running everybody down with CR-Xs.

Fear the almighty Transliner PP-R.

http://i.imgur.com/GPAFRks.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XMpSyHt.jpg

4500 pounds of aluminium. :mrgreen:

Am I the only one NOT running a van in Heavy class? :stuck_out_tongue:

So far yes :wink: The heavy vehicles class was after all completely intended for, well, you know. Heavy vehicles. But hey, your car technically qualifies, only where everybody else has utility, you have luxury :stuck_out_tongue: