Steam & Launcher Poll + Discussion

Most likely it is not steam vs automation but one vs two accounts.

Oh, but if we were pure Steam, you wouldn’t even need an Automation account anymore :

Hey have many of us played Skyrim?

I know this might be besides the point, but remember its little sub-launcher in steam? And you could select mods, ect? Maybe do that, have the updates be via steam but retain the current launcher? Idk might make more people happy?

It seems the folks who dislike the idea of steam, dislike it because they don’t want to have to have any dealings with steam at all though.

I’m a Steam user and am invested in their system, but voted option 2. I find the convenience of Steam to be of great benefit, but can totally appreciate why some users might have an objection to it. Having just voted and seen the poll results, I see that there is statistically only a very small portion of users that would not be on board for Steam. I say, go for it!

If it goes to steam I’m going to be very unhappy. I’ve had very bad luck with steam and do not like the program whatsoever. Please keep both options, we’ve payed good money!

Out of interest, why would you not want to open an account there? Quite a few people seem less willing to create a Steam account than an Automation account and I’d like to know why.[/quote]

1. Customer support is terrible.
    google.com/search?ie=UTF-8& … port+sucks
  2. The program itself is rather annoying. No matter how many times I disable the feature to start on boot, it does anyway.
  3. I don’t need “social media” type features for my gaming. I just want to play! I don’t want to have a profile tracking my progress and sharing my stats.

I’d also like to know more details about what bad luck you’ve had with it. I’m having difficulty understanding what the major difficulties people are having are.

I vote for steam too!! :smiley:

[quote]Steam. It’s a great platform. It will greatly extend the market reach of the game too.

Keep up the fantastic work. Can’t wait for early access and the full release.[/quote]

I’d also like to know more details about what bad luck you’ve had with it. I’m having difficulty understanding what the major difficulties people are having are.[/quote]

[quote=“Dwarden20”][quote=“Daffyflyer”]

Out of interest, why would you not want to open an account there? Quite a few people seem less willing to create a Steam account than an Automation account and I’d like to know why.[/quote]

1. Customer support is terrible.
    google.com/search?ie=UTF-8& … port+sucks
  2. The program itself is rather annoying. No matter how many times I disable the feature to start on boot, it does anyway.
    [/quote]
    You want me to elaborate on both?

I’m assuming you mean you’ve had some poor customer support experiences, yes?

You have no idea… lol

I’m just trying to work out if there is anything we could do to make the people who are unhappy to launch Automation via Steam more happy to do so I guess? Is there anything we could do in your case?

It’s really disappointing when you swore to the customer service rep you’d never use steam again, and lived by that creed but now I would have to use steam again to play a game I had been waiting so long for. If yall switch to steam I guess I wasted my money…

Not trying to be bull headed I swear. I just won’t use steam again, ever.

Ok, so in your case it’s not anything specific about how Automation would work through Steam, but rather that you’ve boycotted the platform in general, thus you’d be unable to use Automation?

Sorry if I’m asking too many questions, I just really want to find out as much as possible so we can try and work out a solution that keeps as many players as possible happy.

For example if people are upset by games keeping hours played data in Steam, I wonder if we can have an option to prevent Automation from having that data recorded.

[quote=“Daffyflyer”]Ok, so in your case it’s not anything specific about how Automation would work through Steam, but rather that you’ve boycotted the platform in general, thus you’d be unable to use Automation?

Sorry if I’m asking too many questions, I just really want to find out as much as possible so we can try and work out a solution that keeps as many players as possible happy.[/quote]
No that’s fine. Ask away. But yes, I have boycotted steam. I provided a quick Google search so that you can see all the people affected by steams terrible and generic customer support. The random bans barring you from the games, frustrations with game keys. Etc.

Well, we can probably promise that if anyone randomly loses a copy of Automation that we’d provide a new key for free. But if folks aren’t willing to use the service then I just don’t know.

We will investigate further if it’s possible to maintain a non-steam version that still works yet doesn’t take up our entire lives to maintain, I suspect if it is doable the tradeoff is that multiplayer might not be workable in that version

[quote=“Daffyflyer”]Well, we can probably promise that if anyone randomly loses a copy of Automation that we’d provide a new key for free. But if folks aren’t willing to use the service then I just don’t know.

We will investigate further if it’s possible to maintain a non-steam version that still works yet doesn’t take up our entire lives to maintain, I suspect if it is doable the tradeoff is that multiplayer might not be workable in that version[/quote]
If multiplayer is the only tradeoff I’m completely fine with that.

[quote=“Dwarden20”][quote=“Daffyflyer”]Well, we can probably promise that if anyone randomly loses a copy of Automation that we’d provide a new key for free. But if folks aren’t willing to use the service then I just don’t know.

We will investigate further if it’s possible to maintain a non-steam version that still works yet doesn’t take up our entire lives to maintain, I suspect if it is doable the tradeoff is that multiplayer might not be workable in that version[/quote]
If multiplayer is the only tradeoff I’m completely fine with that.[/quote]

Might be possible, or might be horribly complex and unrealistic for a tiny team like us. We’ll see.