The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

1992 Ardent Smoke GT

(Excerpt from automotive magazine follows…)

Over the decades, nameplates come and go. Some are recognized universally, some pass into obscurity, while others end their storied careers with a tarnished reputation. This third category is particularly saddening all around. When representatives from Ardent showed up last month with another Smoke, we were worried.

Though last year’s debut of the third-generation Ardent Smoke was met with great apathy and even vitriol from enthusiasts, Ardent appears to be at least attempting to make amends this year with the new GT trim. Don’t get us wrong, this still isn’t the luxurious touring coupe that your parents owned in the 70’s. But it’s a definite nod towards its heritage, if not a big step in regaining the lost performance. We spent a week with this new tester, a Smooth Cherry Metallic Smoke GT.

The new Smoke GT boasts a bigger 2.2 liter engine, with twin cams and new variable valve technology. With 125 horsepower, it nearly doubles the flat-out anemic output of the 1.9 liter in the base and LS trims. 5-speed manual is standard, with an optional 3-speed auto available.

Just about every aspect of the GT is improved over the lower trim levels, as well. The interior includes charcoal cloth high-back buckets with red sport stitching. Both side and thigh bolsters on the front seats provide and added measure of comfort and sporty feel. Power windows, locks, and mirrors are standard on the GT, as is a 100 watt 4-speaker AM/FM cassette with equalizers.

Visually, the GT differs from its junior cousins by way of its “power bulge” hood, 15" alloy wheels, and front fender detailing.

Driving the Smoke GT is also much more fulfilling than the base model. The 2.2 liter revs willingly, and powers the coupe to 60 in under 11 seconds, while still averaging 29 MPG. 4-wheel antilock brakes, with bigger front rotors, also help assure quicker, straighter stops.

Of course, these improvements don’t come cheap. The Smoke GT’s list price of $10110 more than $2000 over that of a base Smoke. But as far as we’re concerned, that is money very well spent.

6 Likes

99’ XV Turbo

3 Likes

The 1996 Centauri Mauaruder V6 CPV Pack aims to challenge Domestic American pony cars as well as sport imports, with 214hp coming from it’s 3 liter 24valve SOHC V6, 6 speed manual transmission,and a thoroughly engineered and sorted chassis and suspension this 2750 lb 2+2 is the best of both comfortable touring cars and high performance sports cars. With a full premium interior and a high fidelity 6 speaker cd player you might forget that with a 0-60mph under 6 seconds and a quarter mile time in the mid 14’s this sports car will easily out perform the v6 mustangs and camaros, as well as the non boosted versions of the 300zx, and supra. But it doesn’t stop there, show this car some curves and get ready to be blown away, it’s 50/50 weight distribution, 4 wheel independent suspension with multi link rear arms, a limited slip rear differential, and precisely designed airflow allows the Marauder to corner like nothing else in it’s class, holding well over 1.1 G on the skid pad at speeds as high as 120mph, almost as high as it’s 146mph top speed. And it can do all this while still returning an average of 25MPG US. with all that performance we haven’t skimped on safety with driver and passenger front and side airbags, anti-lock brakes, and traction control to help keep you safe and in control.
Price $15,000 @ 0% markup.

7 Likes

1999 JHW Alsace 1.6L

Volkswagen Who? $10,500

3 Likes

Previously seen on CSR47…Recycling FTW!!!

FOA Trident S, base level variant, $13,700 @ 0%

…it stops being “cheap” when you add the markup :rofl:…but it will always be cheerful! :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Welcome to CM! We have a certified used car just for you…

The 2000 CM Erie EL!

It is a budget four-seat shooting brakes that can be yours for $12,960, so be assured that it is well within your budget. As you probably already know, most CM vehicles are either 4x4 or AWD, with this one being AWD, so it will get you around in all weather conditions and even off paved roads, should the need arise. You will find that for such a cheap car there is a surprising amount of above-average parts, especially in the engine.

Opening the hood here, you can see a longitudinal I4. It’s a 2.0L 16 valve OHC engine with VVT that produces 117 hp and 171 Nm. With the 6-speed manual transmission, the Erie will go from 0 to 100 in 9.8 seconds and to a top speed of 204 km/h. We don’t recommend you try that last one on anything other than a race track. Oh, almost forgot, it also achieves 7.3L/100 km, so it won’t be too hard on your budget in the long run.

Let’s take a look inside before going for that test drive… As you can see, everything is pretty standard in here, safety features are of good quality, and you’ve got a stock CD player. The shooting brake style doesn’t give all that much cargo space in this configuration, but the 50/50 split rear seat folds down to double the cargo volume when needed.

Now, how about that test drive? We can talk sales after.

8 Likes

Hi guys

There’s been some unfortunate events at work, so i have to either extend the deadline a few days ( i should be free sunday) or have you wait for the reviews a little longer than usual.

I hope that’s ok :frowning:

/gridghost

5 Likes

Either one is fine by me. I can afford to wait longer than normal for the first batch of reviews.

1999 BM Sparrow S

Sport package featuring a rear mounted 3.0 I6 producing a healthy 183hp, 0-62 in under 6s with a top speed around the 148mph mark. Bit wallowy in the corners but she can still shift.

$14,000

2 Likes

So, er, any progress on this round then?

6 Likes

Yep. True!

9 Likes

Who was hosting again? :joy:

4 Likes

gridghost is hosting the current round, having already won the previous one.

1 Like

hNwfAzp

28 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Well … @gridghost?

1 Like

I hate to think of this, but are we gonna have to resort to a poll to decide the winner so we can move on to the next round?

1 Like

Sorry. But yes I guess. This is already the next week

1 Like

Yeah, sorry guys… between crunchtime @work and getting pnemonia and being hospitalised for a week a haven’t been able to get this done in time, and will not be able to do anything today either :persevere:

6 Likes