The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

True, it doesn’t. President Ndweke won’t change the rules after the fact, but remember this contest is won based on opinion, and he might find this outside the spirit of the competition. Alternately, he will accept a revised vehicle. Up to you.

Edit: After downloading the car it defaults to a list price of $9240, way over budget. I’ll allow one revision.

The thing is, the factory settings doesn’t export along with the car, so if you send it, the price and reliability might end up different.
That’s why there is some general consensus on not filling the factory stuff for challenges. Tho, you’re right, it was never specified for this challenge.

Also @oppositelock we need to send you the car or just post pictures of the stats? What will be the naming convention?

Good point, I haven’t messed with the engineering stuff yet so I’m not sure how it works. And you’ll need to send me the car files via private message, with whatever naming convention works for you. Posting it in the thread is optional as far as I’m concerned.

Ladies and gentlemen, I’ll give you, The Prince.

If you need to move, efficiently, with style and having fun at the same time, the prince is the car you’re looking for.
It features a 1.2L SOHC L4 engine with more than enough power to push the car while mantaining an amazing fuel economy, and a low running costs.
It has 4 seats, with manual adjustments and the finest cloth you will fine for seating, plus a dual-speaker 8 track radio for those long trips. Along with the 4 speed manual, it also has a quality suspension, so you don’t have to worry about bottoming out. all of this, for only $7,700 no more, no less.

2 Likes

By the way everyone, this is round 12, not 13.

1 Like

I guess that’s my fault, I’ve edited it. The first post still has the last roundmaster on it so it’s confusing.

Presenting the 1982 Bogliq Mouse Savannah edition!

Excuse me Mr. President, I believe Bogliq Automotive has what your nation is looking for to get your people moving.

Just released on the Moldovan domestic market, the Mouse has been refined to suit your nations unique requirements. What are these changes you ask?

1: Lifted suspension so you have excellent clearance for off-road and rough road conditions
2: Standard bash plates for when a drop or exposed rock turns out to be worse than expected
3: Single point fuel injection which is reliable yet gentle on your strategic fuel reserves
4: Chain driven SOHC design for a simple and long lived service life
5: Tech where it counts; 5 speed manual fitted as standard
6: Fitting 5 seats would be a crime so there are 4 proper seats fitted
7: Small, cheap 13" tyres so that replacement costs are lowered
8: Compact, stylish body will look good for decades yet won’t clog up your nations vital road network!

And the best part? Your nation can benefit from Bogliq’s craftsmanship and style for $7590 per unit (retail)

Bogliq Automotive is not just willing to build a factory to build the Mouse in Mumbojumbo; we will source and refine local steel to ensure that Mumbojumbo gets the very best return on its investment.

President Ndweke III, our CEO and CFO are waiting on your call so don’t delay, your future is only one phone call away!

Buy better; buy Bogliq!

2 Likes

Mr. President, have we got the car for you. A classic namesake is reborn with the all new 1982 Petoskey Rebel.

Having come face to face with a bit of a recession in our own country recently, we know what it’s like when faced with adversity. The Rebel has already proved to be a major success here in the United States. We know your people will enjoy the quality and workmanship Petoskey Motors has to offer.

The all new 2.2 liter inline 4 provides a respectable XX* horsepower while maintaining exceptional fuel efficiency. The 3 speed automatic will ensure that your people will have no difficulty learning to drive this machine. The Rebel offers a high end feel on a simple budget.

Even across an international market the Rebel comes with our Petoskey 5/50 warranty. 5 years, 50,000 miles. Whichever comes first. All this can be available to your people for $7920 a unit.

Petoskey Motors: Simple budget, exquisite taste.

*Due to a design revision the vehicle now produces 83 horsepower.

1 Like

Greetings Oh Benevolent Dictator-For-Life.

We’d like to introduce you to First Order Automotive and present our prototype car for your inspection.
The Mensemotor Ndweke is a small yet very practical 5 door standard hatchback.

Mechanics
A 5 speed transmission, connected via a sturdy 4*4 transfer system (with manual locker), is mounted onto our 1.4L, 69hp, engine. This gives a 0-62 of 12.7seconds, top speed of 95mph and a very impressive fuel economy of 36mpg.

The cooling is provided by a rear facing, filtered, bonnet mounted vent so as to prevent the ingress of dust, flora and fauna which could impact on the reliability of the vehicle.

Power steering will be available on all models.

Exterior
We have gone with hard long life tyres as they give excellent drivability on tarmac whilst still performing very well offroad when the need arises.

All external fixings are fitted above the wheels to allow keep them out of harms way in the event of a low level collision. The exhaust is routed through the skid tray and exits the vehicle at a high level for the same reason.

Interior
To keep the pricing down we haven’t install an entertainment system but it does have 4 standard seats.
The rear seats fold down to maximise the area of the boot and with a solid axle coil for the rear suspension you wouldn’t be worried about the back end scraping the floor….no matter what you fill it with!

A comprehensive toolkit (10/13mm spanners, screwdriver, selection of replacement bulbs, jack and wheelbrace) can be found in the spare wheel (mounted on the side in the boot).

Pricing
This model car would be launched for $7920, which contains a 10% markup.

We could have several entry level models with different configurations but pretty much the same low price.

Thank you for considering First Order Automotive and we do hope that we are able to do business in the future.

P.s. This car would be one of the entry level models and as such would not be launched as the Ndweke. That would be reserved for the top tier car models as befits the name.

1 Like

What do you need when the going gets tough? You need something to rely on.

The Gnoo Mbudiwudi 1982 model with the Ecobeest 1300cc I4 engine has been designed from the ground up to make the live of Your People better. Excellent drivability, a top of the line power steering system and five soft, supple velour seats will keep them comfortable on the highway of life. Advanced safety systems, rugged 4x4 drivetrain, manual locking system and knobbly off road tires will pull them through the worst the world can throw at them.

Couple all this with the excellent reliability and economy of our new powerful Ecobeest engines and you have the car everybody wants to take home.

2 Likes

still conflicted about more seats vs better seats

Greetings, General Charles Ndweke III. We at Solo Motors Co. Have a prototype that might interest you as the people’s car of Mumbojumbo. May we present the 1982 Solo Antelope!

We actually were already working on a prototype for a cheap African car, and so we finished it to fit your specifications. For 7920$, with a 10% profit margin, the Antelope provides seating for five in a 4x4 three door wagon. We’ll start with the design…

As you can see, it has many lights and indiciators, and this is for redundancy, so if one or more get damaged, there are still other working ones until the damaged one gets replaced. The reason for the three door design was to save money over a standard five door wagon, so we could distribute the funds elsewhere into the design. You’ll notice the optional cloth roof, currently in black as that was all the cloth we had, but worry not, the production version will have a tan one in order to prevent the sun from overheating it. That is also the reason this car is white: it’s the colour that absorbs the least sunlight.

Moving on to the interior, you’ll see the five basic seats of good quality, a basic 8-track player, and good quality basic safety equipment. It has over 2400L of passenger space and lmost 500L of cargo space, which can more than double when lowering the back seats. This practicality is why we went for a wagon design.

The engine is a 1.2L direct acting overhead cam I4 with single point electronic injection producing 52.6 hp and 60.9 ft-lb of torque. 0-100 km/h is done in 18.3 seconds, the top speed is 144.4 km/h, and it just about reaches 30 mpg with running costs of only 945$. It’s got a 3-speed manual transmission with manual locker and just over 20 cm of ride height, so it is perfectly optimised for driving on- and off-road in Mumbojumbo.

We also worked hard to assure good reliability, and so you will find that it rates over 70 in that category, so this should be a long-lasting car for your people, should you award us the contract. We hope this is the car your are looking for to drive your country forward.

1 Like

The new ECO Sport 8 is the first car in it’s class with a SOHC V8, for legendary performance and coupled with a 5 speed manual, excellent economy.

Available for 7920, it seats 4 in its comfortable, but utilitarian interior. With a manual locking differential and raised suspension, it can navigate the toughest of roads.

And I’m sure General, you’ll appreciate it’s Motorsport pedigree. With full double wishbone suspension, rear wheel drive, and all around disk brakes it is a joy to take around the track.

1 Like

The fact that we cant use negative quality sliders is making it really hard for me to get within budget with something i think is good.

Then you have discovered the point of the challenge, my friend.

1 Like

Ornate is looking to expand into developing markets and with the help of an state-operate Yugoslav auto maker, we present you the Ornate Desert Mouse.

We found that our competitors aren’t evaluating the Mumbojumbian market properly, offering sports cars and premium off-roaders in a market that needs simple cars that gets you form point a to b, this is where Desert Mouse steps in with it’s $5,940 price tag, in nation where the average income is around $1000, every penny matters when buying a vehicle and we decided to undercut everyone else by at least 2 years of income.

The Desert Mouse carries Ornate heritage through it’s Aluminum panels which helps the hatchback to stay at a featherweight of 480 kg an give it’s 38.4 mpg. To handle the dirt road conditions of your country, the Desert Mouse was given Drum brakes, a manual locker and a high ride height.

To keep it’s low weight and price point, interior, safety and entertainment options were kept limited, which pays off in the end as more electronics and plastics means a higher operating costs through repairs. As talking about repairs, less moving parts means less maintenance to do which is why made this car a Manual with 2 ratios.

This car does handle very nicely, Your Excellency President for Life, General Field Marshal Alhaji Dr. Charles Ndweke III, VC, DSO, MC, CBE but this isn’t a track car and the top speed of 124.5 km/h and a 0-100 km/h speed of 22.4 seconds shows it. Hopefully you consider to accept our offer, as we plan to also make a higher end model for European and Japanese markets and that means more production lines in your country.

So it turns out the reason I was struggling so much was because the body I had was just too expensive. Ive tried 2 other cars and they’ve been quite a bit cheaper. I should have something to submit shortly now.

1 Like

Greetings people of Mumbojumbo, Pragata Automotive have something that reliable and can fulfill your transportation needs across the country without any worry. Introducing the Pragata Cemara 4x4 Hatchback. Brocure wise Cemara equiped with 1.3L Inline 4 Engine that produce 88HP and still can do 10.5km/l for fuel economy. Interior wise it has 5 seat with fully foldable/removable on every seats for easy manitenance and space management in case you want to carry big luggage, and AM/FM radio to keep your trips enjoyable

The simple design also make the you dont need to worry about how many car parts you need to buy in case you needs new one in the future. From engine, chassis and Interior they’re designed to simple as possible to make they cheap and easy to get because there barely unique parts in the car.

with only $7920, the cars is yours

1 Like

i tried. i tried to do a decent ad. but in the end, too many bad ideas went into this one.

3 Likes

Oops! :flushed:

I’ve fixed this now. Sorry!

1 Like