The Farm Truck Challenge, Complete Results Announced!

So now that we are past Christmas, I had time to hop on my computer and do some reviewing of pending entries. As of this post, all submitted entries have been reviewed and accepted into FTC.

For those of you still tinkering or who haven’t started yet, we have 13 entries thus far (not counting my own test and baseline car of course), and the deadline remains set at January 8, 2016. I’m looking forward to writing up my blurbs and reviews.

On January 9, 2016 a secondary stage of this challenge will go live. More on that will follow in the new year.

right. will start making it now

Happy New Year folks. Hope your 2016 is off to a good start. Just a reminder that the FTC closes a week from today!

may we use the truck body mod? I don’t remember the name

If it’s available on the workshop it’s fair game. I have a link to thecarlover’s mod thread in the OP.

Just to bump things a bit, here’s a pic of what I just submitted:

From the makers of the ultimate heavy duty van, the Strongarm, the Hercules Canyon (Ranger trim pictured, with off-roader suspension and tray pack) is the perfect companion for the hardworking American family. It pulls hard all day long, goes just about anywhere, and with a real engine, a powerful low-spooling eco-turbo and VVTL system it has both grunt and economy. Need to tend the livestock in a flood, over the hill and far away? No problem! In a hurry to take the kids to school? Never lose at the lights with surging torque blasting you off the mark, then settle back on the highway with an all around premium interior and room for five. And to suit your busy life, you hardly have to worry about servicing, with reliable parts and all around rust-protection.

Canyon. Go hard, go long.

strop is in this one. i think we can officially call all the other competitors just have been ‘out-stropp-ed’

also… that truck is quite good looking. what did you use for that chromed grille?

and then there will be mine… i’m bad with cars that have high/wide front-end

Well… No. He definitely aimed for the big point categories with this entry as did pretty much everyone who entered. No 1 HP:KG super truck here in this round.

huft dissapointing :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“strop”] From the makers of the ultimate heavy duty van, the Strongarm, the Hercules Canyon (Ranger trim pictured, with off-roader suspension and tray pack) is the perfect companion for the hardworking American family. It pulls hard all day long, goes just about anywhere, and with a real engine, a powerful low-spooling eco-turbo and VVTL system it has both grunt and economy. Need to tend the livestock in a flood, over the hill and far away? No problem! In a hurry to take the kids to school? Never lose at the lights with surging torque blasting you off the mark, then settle back on the highway with an all around premium interior and room for five. And to suit your busy life, you hardly have to worry about servicing, with reliable parts and all around rust-protection.

Canyon. Go hard, go long.[/quote]

Turbo? eco? VVTL? That ain’t no *real *engine
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/dd/44/87/dd4487b7bb5a6fd6e40ffde2f30ff165.jpg

see? he agreed^

[size=65]although i also used VVTL, because 28% efficiency[/size]

lol I anticipated this response. Just think of it as putting the modern technology on the real engine to make it useable in the real world :stuck_out_tongue:

(Also, how else am I going to get 550Nm @ 2000rpm, 320hp @ 6000rpm, and still get 16mpg? Build a smaller truck? NUH-UH.)

p.s. I no longer ‘out-strop’ on challenges not solely to do with POWUUUUUUH… I’m still yet to prove that I can solidly contend in everything else. For your daily dose of out-stropping where the competition doesn’t require it, we now have the likes of KLinardo :stuck_out_tongue:

Need a hard working truck that won’t give up when you need it most? Then Storm Automotive’s latest series of trucks might just be for you. The Storm Wolf is a big, strong truck for people who need a big, strong truck. The P1600D is the perfect middle-of-the-road option. All wheel drive, comfortable interior, and a very powerful engine.

How powerful? 573 horsepower at 4200 RPM, with 773 ft-lb of torque at 2500 RPM. We believe that’s more than sensible enough to haul whatever you needed to haul, and tow whatever you needed to tow.

That is a, uh, quite powerful engine. And here I was thinking I’d shoot for “sort of realistic” figures :laughing: Having sudden pangs of “puny engine” regret :laughing:

I wonder what the pricing is like compared to my entry. Let’s just say I was well short of the price tag and I had no idea how the math really stacks up.

[quote=“strop”]

engine

lol I anticipated this response. Just think of it as putting the modern technology on the real engine to make it useable in the real world :stuck_out_tongue:

(Also, how else am I going to get 550Nm @ 2000rpm, 320hp @ 6000rpm, and still get 16mpg? Build a smaller truck? NUH-UH.)

p.s. I no longer ‘out-strop’ on challenges not solely to do with POWUUUUUUH… I’m still yet to prove that I can solidly contend in everything else. For your daily dose of out-stropping where the competition doesn’t require it, we now have the likes of KLinardo :stuck_out_tongue:[/quote]

and again… i just like to underpower the competition to the hesitation to use big engines.
so what’s the efficiency number on that engine? [size=65]and final sales price?[/size]

i just resubmitted my truck…for looks purposes
because it looked like this…

[quote=“strop”]That is a, uh, quite powerful engine. And here I was thinking I’d shoot for “sort of realistic” figures :laughing: Having sudden pangs of “puny engine” regret :laughing:

I wonder what the pricing is like compared to my entry. Let’s just say I was well short of the price tag and I had no idea how the math really stacks up.[/quote]

$41370

I made a few compromises to fit that engine, but I figured, I needed a lot of power to move this big steel pickup truck around.

1000 HP truck because 'MURICA. So much POWAAAAAAAH.

We also have a good variation of pricing strategies.

28.67% for mine. It’s alright.

I just fiddled with my engine (i.e. made it 3L larger) to see what kind of performance Madrias was getting. Let’s just say I lose a lot of fuel economy, and that’s without even making the turbos spool later for bigger top end boost. Also, for some reason, it doesn’t benefit utility at all, let alone drivability and comfort. Also the truck becomes quite a bit more front-heavy. Alternatively one could use a giant NA engine but sorry, with the money we have available to us here, it will just come out inferior overall :stuck_out_tongue:

I estimate that a similar level trim of a larger engine would sell for at least 4k more*. Having seen how that balances out, I’m quite happy to stick to my current engine. What’s happening to me… it seems so long ago that I slung a 3000hp 3 ton truck up Pikes Peak… it was abnormally fast too…

*NINJA EDIT: Make that 6.5k more then!

Will make me happier, then, if I manage to open the can of whoop-ass with this ‘inferior’ engine.

Well you will definitely spank me off the lights and at the drag strip. I’ll be feeling that one for sure.

But… what mileage are you getting?

EDIT: made a better NA engine, just to see what Madrias might be expecting. I can manage quite a nice boost in drivability along with the massive gain in power and torque, only with a commensurate penalty in fuel economy. I was probably a bit too quick to dismiss the competitiveness of NA in this setting!