The grand tour-not so fast less so furious edition [OPEN]

Hi there! Welcome to The grand tour-not so fast less so furious edition. The spot where commuter cars turn into racers.

This event will be based around the Gran Turismo race series, so, the idea is to make a racing car based around a mass production model that’s available to the public. In other words, the GT version and the production version of the car share the same chassis

RULES:
The challenge will be divided into 3 sections, evaluating the production model and then the evaluation of the gran turismo variant of said vehicle.

A third evaluation will consist on rating the lore and backstory of a car(both GT and production variants) the history of its company and its racing team(if any).

Mods are allowed, however, when you send your cars, remember to state which mods were used.

let’s start with the production model.

Production variant:

Requirements:
-Year 2012
-Engine must run on premium fuel type
-Material cost cannot exceed 9000$
-Engineering time and production units limit of 135
-At least a 40 in safety and drivability. At least 30 in comfort and practicality. Max 30 noise
-Front lights and braking lights. Indicators at the front and back
-Door handles, wing mirrors and windshield wipers
-Car needs a minimun of 100 market competitiveness in any market in Gasmea
-Engine max 50 production units / 150 engineering time
-vehicle must have a three-way catalytic converter

Cars in this category will be judged around their drivability and looks. the better looking and the more marketable a car is, the more points it will accumulate. Drivability will be also tested, a more drivable car means a better score. Everyday use will also be judged, taking into account all major stats(drivability, sportiness, comfort, prestige and safety) along with practicality and fuel economy. the score in each category goes from 1 to 10. These 3 being Aspect, Everyday use and drivability.

GT variant:

Requirements:
GT cars should be based on the production model that was used for the previous category
-Year 2012
-Engine must run on ultimate fuel type
-Material cost cannot exceed 22500$
-Engineering time and production units limit of 260
-Safety should be “none”, we’ll take care of that for ya.
-Chassis, panels, suspension type and Drive type should be the same between the GT version and the production version of the car. The same applies to the trim body. Tunning of these parameters is allowed.
-Engine size is 2.0L turbo, or 3.5L N/A any configuration. max 85 production units / 185 engineering time
-Max tire width is 250 mm
-Max brake size 375 mm
-A race look is encouraged, liveries more than welcome

The looks of the car will be evaluated, a better looking car will help you grab the overall winner spot, but it will not directly impact the GT race times. The race will be a 8 lap race that takes place in the automation test track, after evaluating the time it will take the car to complete the 8 laps, modifiers will be applied according to the following.
-Drivability: The more drivable a car is, the less of a time penalty due to driver errors.
-Fuel: Extra weight will be added to the car, according how much fuel is needed to complete the race.
-Reliability: The more reliable a car is, the smaller the chance that it will suffer a failure during the race, a car that breaks down during a race will have a significant time penalty applied to it.
The winner of this section will be determined entirely by the time they scored in the race.

Overall winner

This section will take how well the car performed in the previous 2 challenges, along with an additional factor, to consider the overall winner of the challenge.
Things in consideration are:
-Score in the production variant challenge 35%
-Position in the GT variant challenge 35%
-Lore of the company, racing team and liveries of the car 30%
(Small explanation regarding lore rating. Judgement will not be that strict, I will just apply basic literary criteria, like avoid repeating words, for example. Just try to describe your team, maybe the car, maybe the company, do whatever you feel will be interesting to read.)

Entry
Evaluations for the production model will be done first. Once said evaluation is done, the GT evaluations will be performed along with the overall winners being announced.
Message me the production car along with its GT version that you wish to present, make sure to include your automation name in the trim of both models. If there are any problems with the car, I’ll inform you.

Submissions are open, rather than a set deadline, I’ll wait till we have enough teams to make an interesting race, once I get enough, I’ll set deadline so people who have not entered yet have enough time to make their cars.

Good luck and please enjoy the challenge, if you have any questions or problems, don’t be afraid to DM me here or in discord

5 Likes

Specify the “score”, like
25% design
75% race???
or other things

1 Like

Interesting idea, but you might want to consider a Production Unit and Engineering Time limitation, since materials cost is at best a partial solution to regulating how much tech goes into a vehicle.

3 Likes

I had kicked around a contest like this (I don’t have much time to host things experimentally), and I had some preliminary rules in mind that may help.

Race cars must be homologated, this means the production, and race version must be on the same chassis. In effect the race version would be a highly tuned production car, not a race car that looks like a production model. Generally, the FIA requires X number to be sold, so my rough idea was:

Street and race version share chassis, panels, suspension type (but not tune). You can for example run progressive rate springs on the race version, but hyrdo-pneumatic on the street version so long as the both have double wishbone (or whatever so long as it matched).

Drive types are open, but the production car must reasonably be available with that type. For example the Ford Focus is normally FWD, but the Focus RS is sold to the general public, and is AWD. Therefore an AWD Focus would be legal. The Fiesta however is not sold to the general public in anything but FWD (even the Fiesta ST) so while an AWD Fiesta does exist, it is a purpose built rally car, and would not be allowed here.

In order for the street version to sell enough units to qualify it must meet certain stats. I was thinking:
40 drivability, and safety
30 noise (max), comfort, and practicality
reasonable ET/PU (we will get to this later)
MSRP under $50k

Race cars would be limited to say 250ET, and no PU limit. This car is a one off experimental, so producing them isn’t really relevant. However, it must be ready for the race season, so ET limits. Obviously the production model must be under this (say 1/2-ish?).

Engine size is 2.0L turbo, or 3.5L N/A any configuration, does not have to match the production model homologated (the sizes SHOULD keep power in the 500-600HP range).

Max tire width (say 255MM?)
Max brake size (maybe 15")
May limit boost pressure if needed.
The race version should have “none” for safety (the stewards will over see the cage install)
Not sure how to handle aero. Maybe may down force under a certain number.
Minimum weight of say 1.5T (does not apply to production model)

Like I said, this was a rough idea, but it was for something very much like this. Should keep the field competitive.

1 Like

to fit that “sell enought units” it is more usable asking for the car to fit some market points in certain market, this would restrict the “type” of car too

1 Like

True, I was assuming the cars were restricted to sedan (saloon) and coupe (with functioning back seat). Ergo, all the production cars would have 5 seats (GT version could have as few as 1). You could do a class based racing division, but that would require enough participants in each class to make a class. Doesn’t Automation have over 40 “types” of cars (city, pony, eco, etc)?

Maybe if we stick with the general “sports car” idea, and recognize both the BMW M5, and Chevrolet Corvette as sports cars (despite both being very different cars with very different audiences) then the homologation for sales numbers would require a score above a certian number in one or more Automation market categories? Judging could get tedious though.

1 Like

Thanks so much for all the help.
I implemented what you guys suggested, so the challenge should be a bit more decent now at least.

I think any market should work for now, due to the engineering time and material costs limitations, I doubt someone will be able to enter a super car into the race. I don’t want to enforce categories too much as to allow people to build the type of cars they like the most (Muscle cars, commuter cars, boring old suvs, etc)

How many seats must the base car have? At any rate, the base car should be a sedan or coupe, but the GT variant will need only one seat (for the driver). Also, I think the PU/ET limits stated only apply to the trim. There should be a separate pair of PU/ET limits for the engine as well.

Edit: I am not the only one to realize that the following suggestion is a good idea:

If the PU/ET limits were for the engine and trim combined, the resulting budget would be too tight for 2012, let alone today.

2 Likes

Cars may have any amount of seats, though you can imagine a sedan with only a single seat will not do well in the everyday competition.

I was under the impression that engine cost was integrated into the final cost of the car, is that wrong?

Engine costs are integrated into the final costs yes, but separating the PU/ET limits for the engine prevents certain min-maxing steps that can be taken. It’s better to make a few test engines by yourself for this competition to understand what kind of PU/ET limits you’ll need.

Edit: For clarification, I asked him to seperate the PU/ET, not combine them. Sorry if it wasn’t clear before

1 Like

One more thing: The base car must be street-legal, so to that end three-way catalytic converters must be mandatory, while race intakes and exhaust headers must not be used; also, wing mirrors must be present on both sides. Also, premium fuel is 95RON and ultimate fuel is 100RON. As for approximate costs (as shown in the markets tab), should there be an upper limit on that value or not?

3 Likes

Are there any limitations on the drivetrain type? For example if I can squeeze in a mid-engined AWD car into the rules (difficult but let’s say hypothetically) then would that be legal? Real-life sanctioned codes tend to place quite a few restrictions on these…

1 Like

Added the street legal changes.

Also, Strop.I think I won’t restrict engine placement, I think it opens up a bit more variety for the cars that are going to be present.

Ok then! (Awesome)

Is this trim, or trim AND model year?

What happened to 2012? I had a car waiting the final rules revision (with lore). Whatever year works, just wondering why the sudden change.

Same tbh, besides, the body selection for the regulations as they are now isn’t the best suited to the premise…

It’s best to bump it right back to where there’s more suitable bodies unless you want a bunch of Citroen Cacti bumping uglies on the track…

Trim and model.

I’ve changed the year back to 2012, sorry about that, a hasty mistake I made yesterday. I apologize.

Either way I’m content with the current rules, So stay tuned for the challenge to open up

4 Likes

Well after a bit more car testing, I can say I’m quite satisfied with the rules.

Submissions are now open, wohoo!

It may take me a while to reply after a submission is sent since I need to check 2 different cars.

4 Likes

Since we are a few people away from starting the challenge, imma bump this.

I’m still working on mine. Have the stock trim ready to go, just working on tuning my GT car.

1 Like