1/4 mile drag racing

[color=#BF4040][size=150]Welcome[/size],[/color]

to the dragstrip.
The rules are simple:

1. look up the guidelines for the different classes below
2. download the track
3. build the best drag car you can
4. post the name of your class and a screenshot of your best run and car

All types of engines are allowed, except it says different.
Semi slicks are allowed in all classes.
Tech year has to be 2014, except for Class X.

20 tech points are the maximum for the whole car. There are no controls, but stay in the limits for fair play

The fastest times of each class will be shown in a leaderboard.

[color=#BF0000]Class A - Unlimited[/color]

As you might think, this class is unlimited. Everything is allowed. There is not even a limit on tech points in this class. go crazy.

[color=#BF0000]Class B - Big block n/a[/color]

• Displacements of 428 cui and more

[color=#BF0000]Class C - Small block n/a[/color]

• Displacements from 0 - 427.9 cui

[color=#BF0000]Class D - Turbo 1000[/color]

• Turbocharged cars with up to 1000hp

[color=#BF0000]Class E - Turbo 500[/color]

• Turbocharged cars with up to 500hp

[color=#BF0000]Class F - FWD Drags[/color]

• front wheel drive only

[color=#BF0000]Class X - Classic Muscle Drags[/color]

• Tech year 1970
  • pushrod engines and rwd only

Ideas for new classes are welcome. Have fun.

[size=150][color=#FF8000]Leaderboard[/color][/size]

Class A - Unlimited

nialloftara______7.66

Class B - Big Block n/a

Class C - Small Block n/a

Janekk________8.35

Class D - Turbo 1000

TheTom_______9:31

Class E - Turbo 500

Tiranth_______9.28

Class F - FWD Drags

Class X - Classic Muscle Drags

Thetom_______12.60
track.lua (644 Bytes)

Here’s my entry for class C, I hope it’ll be competitive:

I think 8.50 is as fast as it gets with the C class but here is mine fast time of 8.49 and looks pretty good too and i did it with slightly less rubber just saying.\

Wow,
these times are awesome, but i noticed that the 60 foot and 1/8 mile times don´t work.
They do now. I upped a refreshed version of the track in the original thread.

Sector 1 displays the 60 foot time.
Sector 1 + Sector 2 displays the 1/8 mile time
Sector 3 displays the time for the second 1/8 mile.

I built a 1970 muscle car which doesn’t really look like one but it has an 8.0L V8 :smiley:

8.49 in class C :open_mouth: that’s awesome indeed. I always thought that even in unlimited class the limit was 8.34 (which a number of my models, naturally, achieve if geared for drag). But I would be happy to be proven wrong!

For example, I’m sure many of you are familiar with the Ascension Mephisto. It was my 2000hp insano car from build 1362, and it was rather quick around the track partially because of my habit of whacking a great deal of aero on it. Since build 1417 came out though, this has been nerfed considerably.

So this here is an example of the Mephisto (with a couple of changes as turbos also got nerfed, so I had to push harder to get 2000hp), except retuned for drag. It’s also retuned for a top speed of 500 instead of 400. It was originally just going to be 300mph which is where the Leonidas name came from but eh, I thought why not go a bit faster…

As you can see it does 8.34s to the quarter mile (if you use the stats instead of the track time that is). I can change the final drive ratio, the tyre profile, the brakes, the aero, the suspension, basically a lot of things and it won’t change how fast it can do the quarter mile. I’ve never been able to break that 8.34 and I’d love to know if anybody can.

Are negative quality points and no engine cooling prohibited in class C?

EDIT: In any case if it isn’t considered fair I’ll make appropriate changes later. In the meantime welcome new king of C Class:

If it would go any faster it would blow tires :laughing: .

I would suggest that for all classes including Class A, the engine post cooling needs to have a reliability of above 0, but only that (i.e. reliability of 0.1 is fine as this indicates that the engine could potentially make the run), but it’s up to the OP!

Anyway without negative sliders in interior and with full required cooling of engine it does it in 8.39. Pretty good I think.

EDIT:
Small correction, I found another way to lower my time and now it’s 8.35 for fully cooled engine and no extra weight loss in interior version.

EDIT2:
@strop
NOT AN ENTRY! It’s 2020 so doesn’t qualify, just quick fix to show 1/4 mile time below 8.34 is possible.

My entry for A class, 2014 so it’s legal. I just took my C Class dragster, made engine little bit bigger and went crazy with sliders. 0.4 reliability after cooling on engine :smiley: . I could get it little bit higher while still maintaining 8.13 time though.

I did a 8.12 according to the track data, then i started fraps to take a screenshot, re-opened the car and then it didn’t let me test it, saying the tyres (335 front, 395 rear, +15 quality semi slicks) have blown. When i try to do a test run (on any track), this message appears and the game crashes

I guess that’s what happens when you put 1639hp through the rear wheels in a 1143kg car. For those who don’t believe me, here’s this screenshot:

Try changing cooling amount, just add and subtract so it stays at the value you want, stuff loads wrong all the time. I’m tempted to go back to tweaking my car to match your time (I don’t think there is enough life in my tires to go for 8.11, 8.12 on the other hand shouldn’t be too far away considering I have room to add more cooling without loosing my time) but on the other hand I’m not sure if I want to spend another hour on this :laughing: .

Managed to get down to an 8.10, with no cooling though.

Please do excuse me, and maybe let us all forget that I ever said anything about an 8.34 hard limit. Evidently, I simply wasn’t trying hard enough.

Using a secret mid-engined body that has been in development for some months (including a preliminary run at the Airfield), we decided that the distinctive weight distribution characteristics of mid-engined bodies would suit RWD drag well, so we crammed in the most powerful version of our turbo engine we could fit. It puts out 2331hp, just to give you an idea.

After tweaking the car aero for minimum downforce allowed without blowing the tyres (a careful balancing act), and with an engine reliability of 1.1, we managed to break the 8s mark:

This car will also do the km in under 14, onto a top speed in excess of 500.

We’ll shortly return to the track for further tuning of the original chassis.

[quote=“strop”]Please do excuse me, and maybe let us all forget that I ever said anything about an 8.34 hard limit. Evidently, I simply wasn’t trying hard enough.

Using a secret mid-engined body that has been in development for some months (including a preliminary run at the Airfield), we decided that the distinctive weight distribution characteristics of mid-engined bodies would suit RWD drag well, so we crammed in the most powerful version of our turbo engine we could fit. It puts out 2331hp, just to give you an idea.

After tweaking the car aero for minimum downforce allowed without blowing the tyres (a careful balancing act), and with an engine reliability of 1.1, we managed to break the 8s mark:

This car will also do the km in under 14, onto a top speed in excess of 500.

We’ll shortly return to the track for further tuning of the original chassis.[/quote]

and after i managed to tweak a 8.08 im going to have to go back to the board… darn it

check your gearing. Aggressive turbo engines seem to get off the mark better with relatively short low gearing! There was a relatively fine line for me between getting an 8.10 and 7.98.

It might also help to have a bit more power, am running around 700hp lower than you.

700hp is a pretty significant difference. I went back and made the tuning of the engine more aggressive (the current one is built to run on 98RON and isn’t maxxed out by any means), and put in a 2400hp engine, but honestly it only made it harder to get the same time and lost reliability. So now, if anybody can find a way to get a quarter mile time stat better than 7.98, I’d love to know how!

Yeah… i was only waiting for that, Strop! :smiley: as soon as i posted my time, i knew it could go faster if i tuned the engine some more because i realized it had a lot more potenial still. And i knew that while i was sleeping, someone would annihilate my car’s time and make me look like an idiot for breaking my car without being fastest. And my car offers enough cooling for all the power it makes, reliability is like 39 or so…

haha that is a LOT of reliability for a drag car! My quarter mile time doesn’t change at all if I only run slightly hot as opposed to terribly hot, but that’s mainly because it’s the quarter mile. Send it down the Moscow 500 and it might catch fire like some of the other 2000hp cars they run there…