1967 Weekend Race Car Challenge [Finished, results posted]

If it’s not written in the rules, it’s fair game

I don’t have discord and for some reason can’t get an account running so I sent you a message with the car inside.

that’s fine, and I see that I did receive your message but I haven’t had time to look at the car yet

2 Likes

Agreed. Was just pointing out an area where players might easily make a mistake.

Thanks man

1967 F&S Rattler "GTO"

A gentlemens grand tourer home customised for amateur endurance and road racing.

7 Likes

This is the 1964 Tartesso Maria, precursor to the supercar…

...converted into a racecar.

One day, a wealthy citizen decided to buy one of these V12 grand tourers. But the car proved much harder to drive than he thought, and he wasn’t quite as good a driver as he thought; so after about a year, he blew the engine and transmission. As it happened, He’d never really grown to like the car much in the first place, so rather than try to have it repaired, he just scrapped the whole thing.

Several months later, a mechanic found this Spanish gem in a scrapyard, and noticed the chassis and body was still pretty much fine. About 30m away, she also found a worn- but salvageable -V8 rotting in an old luxury car. A short conversation with the scrapyard’s manager revealed that because of their condition, the combined cost of the 2 components was cheap; even compared to the entry-level sports cars she had been considering buying at the time.

She took the pieces home. She refurbished the V8, upgrading it with newer parts around her shop, and installed it in the car’s engine bay. She also repaired the transmission, and re-tuned it for racing. Not caring for most of the car’s luxury features, she stripped down the interior to get even more out of the engine. Not wanting to forget handling, she stiffened the suspension, and replaced the flashy whitewalls with actual racing tires- And to make up for the loss in style, she painted on a number and a stripe, and finished with a small (mostly visual) spoiler on the back.

Between building, testing, and just saving up for all the parts she needed, this whole process took about a year. But while it was expensive, it was much less expensive than it would have been to buy the grand tourer new. And when the end result arrived unannounced at her local racetrack in spring, 1967…
[we’ll find out soon :slight_smile: ]

proof

5 Likes

Givin’ me James Bond vibes with this one!

Guys, if you’re wondering how I got exactly 0.25hp/kg, what you have to do is…
Firstly: Make an engine. A “high power high weight” car should have around 300 HP and weigh 1200KG. Any more powerful and the car will become too expensive with all the “ballast” you add with the luxury interiors etc. More on that in a second. A “low power low weight” car should be around 220 HP and weigh 900KG. Any lighter and you’ll be spending too much on rare materials and quality slider spam.
Secondly, if your car is illegal, or not close enough to the magic 0.25hp/kg, divide your power by 0.25. This will give you the exact weight your car needs to get to the magic ratio.
Thirdly, change the quality sliders. And that doesn’t just mean making them better either. You’re gonna have to sacrifce some things too. An important thing is to avoid BRAKE FADE at ALL COSTS. It makes your car sickly to drive in BeamNG so don’t put - quality brakes on your car. Also remeber that - quality driving aids and safety means lower weight. Don’t exceed +10 quality on anything though. It’s just a massive waste of money. Also keep a close eye on that budget.
Finally, here is some little extra tips to help you gain some weight if your still under. Widen or increase the tires, it makes a small difference which is very helpful to getting the exact figure to the decimal, also add bigger brakes, but keep an eye on the brake graph to make sure your brakes aren’t locking up. Also, a small lip could help you gain a little weight. If you are unsure about it being “unrealistic” you can just make it invisible. Remeber, no thicc wangs though, even if they are invisible you will still get DQ’d. Hope I could help you make a flippin’ fast car!

Are auto-lockers and or quality points kosher?

Yes, both are fine

yes, that spoiler is indeed era-correct, it’s similar to what some race cars had at the time. There are fixtures in the “spoiler” category from the mod workshop that resemble an active wing from a McLaren, or a huge chassis-mounted race car wing, and those would not be allowed.

3 Likes

Alright, thanks. Just making sure. (:

Will go clean up my post now

will there be points given for authenticity? my car currently has cross-plys on for realism, although if there’s no points given for it should i switch to radials?

I think any consideration for authenticity only goes as far as visuals, so if radials are faster I would recommend switching to those.

As well, note that by the late 60’s radial tires were already common in most developed countries (at least European ones), so from an authenticity perspective, radials probably make more sense anyway.

are they? i was told that radials only started to be used by the late 70’s

Can I ask why it’s only one spoiler allowed? and no wings and lips? Since only Wings create downforce in beam, and spoilers and lips make no difference.

Here, I did a bit of research. It’s true that radials did not become common until the 70’s; in the United States. But the US is a bit of a fluke here; in Europe and Asia, they started becoming common in the 50’s and 60’s. And even in the US, there’s a good chance a race car as advanced as these ones might still be able to acquire a set of radials in the late 60’s.

it’s because lips and wings were not commonly used back in the 60s, especially on road cars but also on most race cars. Some had little spoilers on the trunk which is why that’s what’s allowed

While that is mostly true, I would like to point out one example (only because it verifies where I want to place my spoiler); the AMC Javelin with it’s optional roof spoiler:

85dc84e38ba5336447279c58f69824fb
Breedlove_68_AMX_2019-05-11_21-26-30

I think the first style was for the Javelin and the second was specifically for the AMX. I’m actually hoping this is allowed, my car is almost totally dialed in. It’s still a spoiler, it’s just on the back of the roof instead of the trunk.

1 Like