1967 Weekend Race Car Challenge [Finished, results posted]

there’s a wing that’s similar to that, but I don’t think there’s a spoiler like it, is there? If it’s a spoiler I guess it’s allowed, but no wings or lips. You can put the spoiler on the roof or on those rear pillars if you want

I mean

examples

Even F1 at the time had front and rear wings

Maybe you could argue that aero was introduced in the 70’s but this automation, and for beam purposes, having a singular spoiler is absoloutely 0 use what so ever. It makes no sense. If a car has a “wing” that is too modern or whatever you can just bin it, you’re the host.

the Superbird was a 1970 model year, the Dino Competizione (I think that’s what the yellow one is, anyway) was only a concept, and the others are an LMP1 and an F1 car, arguably the two most technologically advanced racing series at the time. I mean, in this one we’re basically doing one of those competitions where everyone can bring their own car which is essentially still a road car with a few mods bolted on and some stickers, those types of events were held back in the day. What we’re building are not full-on race cars that were designed for the track from the ground up.

The Careen custom sport
Exploring the limits of grip in a transverse front mount engine.

296.8HP/1187.5 kg
total price of 37000 for this trim.
(you can even run it on regular if leaded is not available, ha)

4 Likes

1967 Armor Sunburst (I know I’ve used the name before… I’m really just making this up as I go along).

5 Likes

Transverse front engine and rear wheel drive?

wait hold on, 200 something horsepower?! mine has 99!

Zephorus Barchetta

Interior

Yes everything fits.

Mid long RWD 3.3L B6 - 268hp
Fibreglass panels - space frame chassis - 1195kg
0-62 in 4.8s and a top speed of 180mph
$39800

To add to my previous questions, what happens with weight in beam? my car weighs 100kgs more than it should, am I allowed to add more horsepower here? do I send a fixtureless car?

Beam Weight

15 Likes

The Barchetta isn’t just one of your best-looking classic cars to date, but also one of your most beautiful and detailed cars, period - both inside and out. 268 bhp doesn’t sound like a lot by today’s standards, but it’s plenty for a car made in 1967 weighing just 1295 kg.

1 Like

That is an absolutely stunning car! But this is clearly a prototype racer, like an LMP1 car or something like that, not the result of just some bolt-ons on a regular road car.

To answer your question, we use the Automation power and weight values to calculate power/weight ratios. That way it’s easier for everyone to figure out their car’s power/weight, especially for the users that don’t have BeamNG.

I followed the rules :man_shrugging:
Also, you didn’t answer my question, I asked if I should send a fixtureless car or the current one, because detatchable fixtures have weight, and thus make a car heavier than it should be. This could be seen as unfair as some cars will have more weight added than others for their fixtures used.

no you shouldn’t send a fixtureless car, because nobody else did. Yes, some detachable fixtures have weight, but at the same time, what should a challenge host realistically do to prevent that? Just ask for blank cars with no fixtures on them? Sorry but I’m not gonna do that.

I would still show your car off on video because it looks too good not to, but it goes against the spirit of the challenge that was stated in the OP. It said:

3 Likes

The 1967 Iskra 320 Spyder.

August 7th, 1959. A red Iskra 320 rockets through the narrow streets of Italy, it’s flat-four engine echoing into the night. It’s headlamps blaze as it carries a very important cargo; an unborn child. As the 320 nears the hopsital, the police catch word of a speeding vehicle headed toward the hospital. The police launch interceptors to catch the speeding Iskra, however they can never catch it. It arrives at the hospital in record time, 1 hour, 36 minutes and 12 seconds. Today, that race is known as the Mardelli run, after the fearless driver who achieved the feat. Noone has ever managed to beat the record. Until today.

When Iskra unveiled the 1967 rendition of the legendary 320 Spyder, it was met with confusion. Not with how outdated the styling was, (Iskra’s design methodology was, put simply, ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’) but the lack of detailing on it. Iskra’s cars were typically known for their extravagant styling and literal tonnes of chrome trim. However, the new 320 had practically none, just some bumpers and slight trim on the side. This confused critics and buyers alike, and all was not revealed until August 7th of that year, when the Mardelli run was hosted. Iskra turned up in a fleet of 3 cars; the new Iskra 320 Spyder, a truck of tools and a blacked out 440 Sedan. When it was the 320’s turn to go, the doors to the 440 Sedan opened, and out stepped Pietro Mardelli, who took his place in the new 320. It’s brand-new flat-four stuttered into life, and he set off. He beat his original time by 3 minutes, and the world realised what the new 320 really was for. It was to prove a point, that you didn’t need a 5 litre V8 to go fast. All you needed was a light, well engineered sportscar.

here we can see the 1967 attempt, this was the beginning of the most competitive years of the Mardelli run.

After seeing his run on TV, you run to the phone and order a 320 Spyder. You just know that it would be the car for you. After 2 weeks it finally arrives, and you see the 320 in person for the first time, and you’re instantly blown away by it’s sleek, sexy lines and small, nimble structure. You use it as a daily driver until November, when it breaks down on your drive with no warning.

After about a week of tinkering, you cannot get it to start. So, you decide to take the exhaust off, and it starts again. The exhaust has broken and was causing the whole engine to stop working. So you think, let’s just buy another one. But production of the 320 has stopped, and a new exhaust now costed $500. For just the exhaust, no mufflers or shipping included. So you run it with no exhaust for a week, before getting numerous noise complaints. No aftermarket mufflers would fit it, so you decide “screw it. i’ll order an exhaust.”

In the mean time however, you miss not being able to drive your 320, and not being able to slingshot it around your neighbourhood faster than your neighbour’s Camaro. Then you have an idea. You toil around the little car, stripping it of all unesscessary weight and adding more race oriented parts. Finally, after 3 weeks of blood, sweat and tears you finish. You take a step back and admire your handiwork. Not half bad actually.

You load the Spyder onto the back of your old Chevy tow truck and drive down to your local track. You fire up the engine and it springs into life, raring and eager to go. You take her for a quck lap around the track and see how the new tyre and weight upgrades handle on the road. You return home and see two packages on your doorstep, one long, cylindrical package that you can only presume is the exhaust pipe and a small envelope. You open the door and slit open the envelope. Inside is a small letter, agreeing to your entry into the upcoming race and giving you your racing number: 0.

You put the exhaust in the pile of parts in your garage, and get to work putting on your number stickers. You also bolt on a pair of foglights just incase they would be needed, and you continue to get the car ready for the race…

Specs

7 Likes

1967 Mayster Triumf 2.0 Avtosport

Before becoming Mara’s performance division AMM in 1990, Mayster was one of the very few Archanan boutique car manufacturers. Their sole model, the Triumf, came to market in the early 1960s, powered by a 1.6 l flat-4, and was available in coupe and softtop forms.

While seeing very limited uptake in their home market, the Triumf’s light weight and convincing handling characteristics were particularly appreciated by Fruinian and Dalluhan gentleman drivers who were looking for something different. One of them, Timur Alikhanov, took a particular interest in the fledgling company and worked with the Mayster engineers to create a racing version, his connections giving Mayster access to more sophisticated car parts than available in Archana.

A Mayster Triumf 2.0 Avtosport in sand yellow, the traditional Dalluhan racing colour

The engine got enlarged to 2 litres, and Fruinian carburetors, an overall more aggressive engine tune and the availability of 98 octane fuel on racetracks effectively doubled the initial power output. The interior was gutted down to the basics, racing brakes and tyres fitted, and the suspension re-tuned for the changed power and weight distribution characteristics.

5 Likes

Try changing the compression ratio. If it is knocking, turn down the ignition timing. If that doesn’t work try changing the exhaust size. Bigger doesn’t always mean better. It takes a bit of trial and error before you get some good looking numbers. Also, if you don’t have 8+ cylinders already, a V8 is probably the minimum amount of cylinders you can have, although you might be able to make a superlight I6.
facepalms I didn’t see your car there but scrolling back down I saw it. It’s a good car don’t get me wrong, looks very pretty and is cheap and good on fuel economy, but it needs to push the rules more. There was nothing in the rules that stated about fuel economy, and you have plently of cash to throw around and plenty of displacement to play with. At the bear minimum I’d say a car should have no less than 3000cc. Where we were in 1967 is no where near where we are in 2020. While it may be common to see 1.5L Flat 4’s at 200HP today, even with emission and noise standards, in 1967, cars with flat 4s only did around 70HP. So next time, remember to push the rules a bit more, and search for the loopholes!

I’m guessing you took inspiration from the Ferrari 330 P3. That was a glorious car and one I never even thought about when submitting for the challenge. It doesn’t have the epic Flat 12 engine but I guess a Flat 6 will make do while the devs (hopefully) add some F-8’s and F-12’s in.

A fair bit of inspiration from that yes, and the Ferrari Dino 206 Berlinetta Speciale. As well as from the dino concept.

2 Likes

I just looked inside and I’m stunned at how good you made the interior look. Especially the footwells.

While brainstorming ideas for an entry, I would like to ask one question: Does the 5.0L engine capacity limit refer to a maximum displacement of 5,000 cc? Especially since one of the engines I am considering is exactly that size.

Yes, 5.0 liters is the same as 5000 cc