1993 Third World Supercars Challenge

Ah ok! I’ll check it out, if its still op i’ll keep the rules the same.

Actually, do we have a naming convention or can I name the model/family whatever?

3 Likes

You can call it whatever you want!

1 Like

Hows it going with the cars? Just curious

1 Like

Are we allowed to move the engine position around, in the advanced trim settings?
I need to move it a fair bit back in order to not have the exhausts turn into a complete mess in my RR car. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ll give you permission to. I didnt say anything about it in the rules because i dont want to see cars with engines in the front to have their engines visually in the rear.

1 Like

Awesome! Also, are there any special naming conventions we must follow?

1 Like

Nope, as i said before you can call it whatever you want!

Thanks for the clarifications! I’ve got a car ready and I’ll post it later on today. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Permission to slightly lower the front suspension and move the front wheelbase forward with advanced trim settings? I could live without the wheelbase change but the gap between the wheel and the fender is too big even with the lowest possible ride height

3 Likes

No wheelbase change, i’ll allow you to slightly change the height of the front suspension though.

ok, thank you

2 Likes

Presenting the Inthanon Motor Group (IMG) Super Shrike, the first domestic Thai super car. Powered by a 315hp 3999cc v8 and reaching 100 km/h in 3.8 seconds.

Bangkok, Thailand.
Inthanon Motor Group headquarters, 08:00.

There is a knock on the door of the 18th story boardroom. The sound softly echoes through the airy space, cascading off the floor to ceiling glass windows and freshly painted white walls.
The director looks up from the open file spread before him on the vast mahogany conference table, and crushes his smouldering cigarette in the crystal ashtray beside him.
“Enter, please.”
The door opens as a man dressed in a grey suit holding a brown leather briefcase steps inside.
“Good morning, director Chen,” he says, half bowing his head.
“Good morning chief engineer Saetang, please do come in.”
Karawek Saetang hears the door softly close behind him as he approaches the director, and accepts the offered handshake. He has hardly slept last night, worrying about this meeting. This is the first time he has met the man who holds his team’s fate in person. He quickly takes a seat beside the director, snaps the buckles on his briefcase as he pulls out his own paperwork.
“I have taken the liberty of perusing the materials you sent ahead prior to your arrival. I am pleased with what I have seen so far. As you know, the other two teams that were working on competing proposals have been rejected.”
Saetang looked up, and nodded gravely.
“May I ask why they failed, sir?”
“You may indeed,” the director replied, taking another cigarette out of the pack and lighting it with an ornate silver lighter. He motioned it towards Saetang, to which the engineer politely shook his head.
“No thank you, sir.”
The director nodded, and spoke.
“The first team, led by a Mr. Campbell from our American office, produced a beautiful vehicle. However, the manufacturing processes involved were far too complex for our factories. The cost of modernising and retooling could not be overcome, and thus had to be rejected. Mr. Khuat, the lead of the second team presented a more conservative offering. Too conservative, I should say, as it was uninspiring and rather agricultural.”
The director shook his head, taking another drag on his cigarette.
“The man was completely out of his depth. I have subsequently transferred him to the heavy industry department, where he can design all the tractors he sees fit.”
The chief engineer swallowed hard.
“Please, do go on, Mr. Saetang.”
“Of course, director Chen.”
Saetang cleared his throat, clutched his papers, and started.
“As you know, when his Excellency ordered the production of the nation’s first domestic super car to bolster the national image on the world stage, we’ve had a lot of work ahead of us. While we produce many foreign cars under licence, there are currently no modern domestic designs in production.”
“Yes, that is true,” replied the director.
“With that in mind, we had to adapt. My team took inspiration from Western designs and technologies. The proposed super car, the Super Shrike…”
“Named after the national bird, very clever.” said the director. He leafed through the attached pictures. “And you have suggested that the initial 100 cars be painted in the national colours.”
“Yes sir,” Saetang grinned, “As I was saying, this car is a blend of American engine technology and coach building with a European suspension set up.”
“I see. That is the rationale behind the fiberglass bodywork and the rather large light truck v8 engine.”
“Yes sir,” Saetang said, “the plastic factories owned by the conglomerate were a logical choice to be given the responsibility to produce the body panels. Their use will also mask any early production imperfections as the assembly staff acquaint themselves with the process. Corrosion issues are also eliminated, and the weight savings we’re able to achieve help supplement our engine choice.”
“The modified American truck engine is a smart choice,” said the director, exhaling smoke as he extinguished his cigarette. “We already produce the base model under license for our transport fleet.”
“Thank you, sir. We have uprated the internals to handle the additional power and added a host of readily available bolt on performance parts.”
The director looked pleased, as Saetang had hoped. Incorporating as many familiar components as possible was a key design principle, one he been challenged on multiple times by several members of his team, and it was paying off.
“And the handling?” asked the director, tapping his finger on the photos of the prototype’s road test. “Does the unconventional engine layout not pose a problem in that regard?”

“The Super Shrike handles well, sir, while maintaining an adequate ride. We did consider opting for a traditional FR layout, however the RR configuration saves on both materials and weight. It also helps differentiate the car from its rivals.”
“A unique selling point could prove invaluable when entering the super car market,” the director agreed. “Overall, I am quite partial to the Super Shrike. The design is angular and dramatic: very much in vogue right now, and underpinned by solid engineering. I believe I have heard everything I need to hear right now. Thank you for your time, Mr. Saetang.”
“Yes, thank you, sir.”
The relief the chief engineer felt now that he had finished his presentation was palpable, yet he knew he had to see this business through to the end. He paused, having started putting away his papers out of habit, and weighed his words very carefully.
“What else may I pass on to the rest of my team, sir?”
The director smiled.
“There is a case of champagne I have left with my secretary that will speak volumes, I believe. Have a good day, Mr. Saetang.”

Edit: story added, gief bonus points pls.

Edit: tuned the car to better reflect the competition.

5 Likes

That is quite lengthy lmao

1 Like

My bad, haha! Got a little carried away there.

1 Like

Btw, your car is legal! Good luck!

1 Like

Awesome, cheers!

1 Like

This is the First Auto Group Conquistador. It has a transversely mounted 4 cylinder with balance shafts and forged internals. It also has a premium CD player.

6 Likes

1993 DURENDAL GT36

Hopefully it does well on the track. I’m pretty awful at setting up mid or rear-engined cars, so I stuck with what I know.

6 Likes

Remember to send in the .car file

1 Like