2010 Cross-Country Racing SUV Challenge [Finished]

I’m surprised that mine is the only one in that class.

Sky99, my tip for you. You need have a lot of downforce to increase grip as possible, unit hardly go to over 200 kph on straight soild in beamng. Going over 200 kph on all of rally road is impossible, My car does barely go to over 200 kph. Besides, a very important, lip and spoiler fixtures does not make downforce on beamng, only wing fixtures working. I would have tell more but too long to text…

This is actually a common misconception. BeamNG doesn’t take into account the purpose of fixtures in automation, but models aerodynamics in real time, based on the shape of the vehicle (i.e, the polygons it’s made of). So all fixtures, be them wings, spoilers or something else entirely, impact the amount of drag and lift/downforce on the vehicle depending on their shape and orientation.

That’s why things like 3D-fixture spoilers can exist, why the loss of a spoiler can be felt, and how airplanes can be found on the BeamNG repository.

(Downforce in general is a good idea as far as tuning goes though. I originally thought cars couldn’t go fast enough to make aerodynamics worth it in this challenge, but I think the results are proving me wrong so far…)

Yeah spoilers and else fixtures does impact drag, but that just not make any downforce.

I think you’re misunderstanding; lift/downforce and drag are not different in the BeamNG physics engine. BeamNG does not care what an object was intended to do in Automation, it only cares what the raw shape of that object is; it’s a real simulation of simple air resistance.

Though what it doesn’t model is weather polygons are inside inside each other; if you hide a fixture in the car, BeamNG still treats it as though it were outside, and factors in its drag and lift/downforce. That practice is thus considered an exploit and banned in most forum challenges.

It’s indeed real science provide. I know. But update automation to beamng is not perfect. I did test with automation with deafault polygons and edited polygons. That result is not much different. But i will retest right now because that is old date.

test being

oh you’re right that is indeed working as that support do.

Race 2 is about to begin. You can watch it live here: 2010 Cross-Country Racing SUV Challenge - Race 2/3 - YouTube

1 Like

Race 2 has just ended, and if you missed the stream you can rewatch it here: 2010 Cross-Country Racing SUV Challenge - Race 2/3 - YouTube

Yet again, LennoxV10 set far and away the fastest time in the field. Can anyone stop him on Utah?

Because of the size of the gap between first and second place, I decided we will start the elimination threshold of 6 seconds from 2nd place rather than 1st, because otherwise we would only have 2 cars left in the competition. That said, the eliminations this time are the Gila Monster, the Kumos Mountaineer V6, the Armor Motors Roma Rally and the Mara AMM Kanyon X-Race which was only barely outside of the 6 seconds behind 2nd place. This leaves us with 8 cars for the final race.

5 Likes

Omanom did way better on that track than I was expecting, considering her size and lack of downforce. And considering how she performed at Utah during testing, things are looking up for her…

Also, good job getting those cars around in so few tries Tom!

4 Likes

Race 3 is about to begin! You can watch it live here: 2010 Cross-Country Racing SUV Challenge - Race 3/3 - YouTube

1 Like

The third and final race of the Cross-Country SUV challenge is now over! If you missed the stream you can rewatch it here: 2010 Cross-Country Racing SUV Challenge - Race 3/3 - YouTube

Once again, @LennoxV10 takes the win by a massive margin, but this time the UAZ Simbir comes 2nd which means it is now tied for 2nd overall with ImKaeR’s car:

Thanks everyone for participating, this has been a lot of fun and the next challenge will be going live next Sunday :slight_smile:

7 Likes

No drag race to resolve the ties?

only if two or more cars are tied for 1st, to determine the winner

Well, I got further than I expected. I don’t really build many SUVs, and really don’t build that many rally cars, so I had no clue what I was doing.

Excited to see what the next one will be. Also hoping it’ll be something I’m good at, though I doubt that. I’ve got a very, very narrow band of what I’m good at designing, so… Chances are, it’ll be another last-place car.