2016 MRCSR Time Trial Series

[size=100]**ENTRIES ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED. **[/size]

Hello, and welcome to the 2016 MRCSR (Modified Road Car Sport Racing; acronym pronounced “murk-sir”) Time Trial series! This series focuses on time trials (one lap on a lapping track; from start to finish on a non-lapping track) performed in modified production sedans, coupes, and hatchbacks. These cars are not built expressly for the purpose of racing, as in the case with GT and Sports Prototypes; however, their performance may come close to these standards if the car is engineered well! The car does not actually have to be in mass production; rather, it must meet certain requirements that ensure it would be liable as a race-day-ready modified version of a car that would be reasonable to mass-produce. The cars in the MRCSR Time Trials must meet certain regulations of performance, safety, and homologation in order to be eligible. For a car to be allowed to compete in this series, it must meet the following rules:

[size=150]REGULATIONS:[/size]

[ul]
]The year of the car must be either 2015 or 2016./:m]
]The model of the car must be a sedan (4 door), coupe (2 door) or hatchback (3/5 door) and CANNOT be an SUV, van, minivan, truck, etc./:m]
]Any engine placement and drivetrain layouts are allowed./:m]
]The car must have a total cost equal to or below $35,000.00./:m]
]The car must weigh at least 2,000 lbs (907.185 kg). /:m]
]The car must have a safety rating of at least 60, and an average reliability rating of at least 50./:m]
]The engine within the car may be of any type, and may be naturally aspirated or turbocharged./:m]
]The engine cannot produce anything greater than or equal to 500 hp[size=85]/372.849936 kw[/size] (499 hp[size=85]/372.104236 kw[/size] is acceptable; 500 hp[size=85]/372.849936 kw[/size] is not)./:m]
]The engine cannot have any form of carburettor./:m]
]The engine must use either Regular or Premium fuel, and must have some form of catalytic converter fitted on the exhaust./:m]
]The transmission cannot be Automatic; it must be either Manual or Sequential./:m]
]The tires must be Sports Compound Road./:m]
]The maximum rim diameter is 18 inches (457.2mm), and the maximum wheel width is 245 mm (9.64567 inches)./:m]
]The only driver assists allowed are: power steering, traction control, and an anti-lock brake system./:m]
]the car may have any type of differential, but a limited-slip differential (LSD) is recommended./:m]
]The car may only have one wing, with the allowed mounting location depending on the body style.
[list]
]If the car is a hatchback or otherwise a two-box style, the wing may be mounted either directly above the rear windshield, or on the back of the car/:m]
]If the car is a three-box style, the wing may only be mounted behind the cockpit, on the third box./:m]
]Wings on the hood, above the driver, etc. are not allowed./:m]
]Lips are not considered wings; lips can be placed anywhere and there can be up to two lips on the car./:m][/ul]/
:m]
]MODS: Any mods used must be found in Pyrlix’s “High Quality Essentials” mod collection, with Felgen’s mods also being accepted; [size=110]for custom badges, please PM me the name of the mod on Steam, or the mod itself.[/size]/:m][/list:u]

[size=150]COMPETITORS:[/size]

[ul]
]2015 Storm - Envy Turbo Coupe [size=85](Submitted by: Madrias)[/size]/:m]
]2016 Boss - 499 Coupe [size=85](Submitted by: KLinardo)[/size]/:m]
]2015 PolMot - P8 Coupe [size=85](Submitted by: JasonPoland)[/size]/:m]
]2015 Erin - Tauga XR Sedan [size=85](Submitted by: DeusExMackia)[/size]/:m]
]2015 Ignis - Lyngem 304R Coupe [size=85](Submitted by: earincon198)[/size]/:m]
]2016 Lotus - Evora Coupe [size=85](Submitted by: strop)[/size]/:m]
]2016 Nickel - X-Spec Race Coupe [size=85](Submitted by: DoctorNarfy)[/size]/:m]
]2015 FMR - Tawa Coupe [size=85](Submitted by: andiron)[/size]/:m]
]2015 Centauri - Quazar GTZ Coupe [size=85](Submitted by: nialloftara)[/size]/:m]
]2015 Griffin - Ddraig Coupe [size=85](Submitted by: RoyalStig)[/size]/:m]
]2016 Mancini - Scorpione R Speciale Coupe [size=85](Submitted by: kimaru)[/size]/:m]
]2016 Baltazar - Ekranoplan Coupe [size=85](Submitted by: Leonardo9613)[/size]/:m]
]2016 Coco - Grizzly Hatchback [size=85](Submitted by: torts)[/size]/:m]
]2016 IDX - 599TT Coupe [size=85](Submitted by: TauSigmaNova)[/size]/:m]
]2016 Yix - Wandal Coupe [size=85](Submitted by: kerk121)[/size]/:m]
]2015 BlastersPewPew - Pikachu Hatchback [size=85](Submitted by: BlastersPewPew)[/size]/:m]
]2016 Prinzenay - Spryntär 2.0 GT Coupe [size=85](Submitted by: WoarLord)[/size]/:m]
]2016 Meliora - Snake Coupe [size=85](Submitted by: sillyworld)[/size]/:m][/ul]
[size=85]If a car has been entered and it is not on this list, it is either still being checked for regulation, or has been checked and needs revision.[/size]

[size=150]EVENT SETUP:[/size]

As for the actual time trials themselves, each car will take three laps around the track, with the best of the three lap times being used. Seeing as Automation does not account for variables such as human error, differences in driving line, performance issues, etc., I will use the following formula to determine the time of each lap:

These are the variables in the above formula:
[ul]
]LT = The lap time–the result of the function./:m]
]TT = The total time–the time to travel around the track as calculated by Automation, converted into seconds.
[list]
]This value will be rounded: if the decimal at the end is .49 or lower, I will round down to the second; if it is .50 or above, I will round up to the next whole second.
[list]
]Total time of 02:30.49 = 150.49 seconds: TT equals 150./:m]
]Total time of 02:30.50 = 150.50 seconds: TT equals 151./:m][/ul]/
:m][/list:u]/
]RN = A random number anywhere between 0.95 and 1.35, calculated by using a number generated by random.org within the range of 95 and 135, and then dividing this number by 100./:m]
]DR = the car’s drivability stat, which is not rounded any further than Automation already rounds it (which is to the nearest tenth.)/:m][/list:u]
[size=125]SCORING:[/size]
The scoring process will vary depending on how many cars are entered. A point-based scoring system will be used, with each car earning X amount of points based on how it’s best time placed in comparison to the other cars for that specific track. The upper half of the ranks (up to a certain amount) will receive points; the lower half of the ranks will receive zero points.

[quote][size=85]
[ul]
]If there are 2+ entries[/size]
[list]
]1st: 20 points/:m]
]2nd and lower: 0 points/:m][/ul]/
]If there are 3+ entries
[ul]
]2nd: 10 points/:m]
]3rd and lower: 0 points/:m][/ul]/
]If there are 5+ entries
[ul]
]2nd: 12 points/:m]
]3rd: 6 points/:m]
]4th and lower: 0 points/:m][/ul]/
]If there are 7+ entries
[ul]
]2nd: 15 points/:m]
]3rd: 10 points/:m]
]4th: 5 points/:m]
]5th and lower: 0 points/:m][/ul]/
]If there are 9+ entries
[ul]
]2nd: 16 points/:m]
]3rd: 12 points/:m]
]4th: 8 points/:m]
]5th: 4 points/:m]
]6th and lower: 0 points/:m][/ul]/
]If there are 11+ entries
[ul]
]2nd: 17 points/:m]
]3rd: 13 points/:m]
]4th: 11 points/:m]
]5th: 7 points/:m]
]6th: 4 points/:m]
]7th and lower: 0 points/:m][/ul]/
]If there are 13+ entries
[ul]
]3rd: 13 points/:m]
]5th: 7 points/:m]
]6th: 4 points/:m]
]7th and lower: 0 points/:m][/ul]/
]If there are 15+ entries
[ul]
]3rd: 14 points/:m]
]5th: 9 points/:m]
]6th: 5 points/:m]
]7th: 3 points/:m]
]8th and lower: 0 points/:m][/ul]/
]Anything higher than 15 entries will use the 15-entry point system./:m][/list:u]

[/quote]

[size=150]TRACKS:[/size]
Over the course of this series, the entrants will be driving on 10 different renowned tracks across the world, with two tracks being driven each week. As such, this series will take place over the course of five weeks, with scores being announced once per week, for the two tracks driven that week. These are the tracks which will be driven over the course of the MRCSR Time Trial series:

[ul]
]Week One:
[list]
]Hockenheimring (GP) [size=85][Germany][/size]/:m]
]Red Bull Ring [size=85][Austria][/size]/:m][/ul]/
]Week Two:
[ul]
]Road Atlanta [size=85][USA][/size]/:m]
]Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca [size=85][USA][/size]/:m][/ul]/
]Week Three:
[ul]
]Silverstone [size=85][Britain][/size]/:m]
]Brands Hatch [size=85][Britain][/size]/:m][/ul]/
]Week Four:
[ul]
]Mt. Haruna (Downhill) [size=85][Japan][/size]/:m]
]Suzuka Circuit (Full) [size=85][Japan][/size]/:m][/ul]/
]Week Five:
[ul]
]Circuit de la Sarthe (Avec Chicanes) [size=85][France][/size]/:m]
]Nürburgring Nordschleife (Full) [size=85][Germany][/size] [size=50]Also known as the custom track “Green Hell”[/size]/:m][/ul]/
:m][/list:u]

[size=150]ENTRY PROCESS:[/size]
Please use these naming conventions for your car in-game (before exporting):
MODEL: MRCSR TT MODEL [username] / **TRIM: **MRCSR TT TRIM [username] [company name] [car name]
[ul]
]e.g. If you username happens to be blarf, your company name is Carmaker, and the name of the car is Batmobile, use these name conventions:
[list]
]Model: MRCSR TT MODEL blarf/:m]
]Trim: MCRSR TT TRIM blarf Carmaker Batmobile/:m][/ul]/
:m][/list:u]
ENGINE: MCRSR TT ENGINE [username] / VARIANT: MRCSR TT VARIANT [username] [whatever you want here]
[ul]
]Engine: MRCSR TT ENGINE blarf/:m]
]Variant: MRCSR TT VARIANT blarf blahblahblah/:m][/ul]

After you have finished your car, export it and send me the .ZIP over PM! And please be sure that you are okay with the product that you send me–if you MUST make a revision, add REVISION to the end of the Model, Trim, Engine, and Variant names so I can be sure of which one to test. If you must revise more than once, then make it be “REVISION1” for the second revision, “REVISION2” for the third revision, and so on. I hope you have fun with this series, and I hope to do more MRCSR events in the future!

[size=70]THANK YOU to strop for helping me get the rules finalized, and ensuring the exploitation of the rules can be more well moderated.[/size]

[size=65]Update log:

• Added regulation on acceptable mods.
  • List of tracks driven in this series has been announced, and the interior rule has been lifted in lieu of a new minimum weight regulation. Entries will be accepted within the next couple of days!
  • Added regulation of driver aids, wheel/rim dimensions, and differentials.
  • Accepting entries now!
  • No longer accepting entries, a day earlier than the given deadline due to things occurring in my offline, personal life.[/size]
    [size=150]- I AM NO LONGER ACCEPTING ENTRIES!!![/size]

This is a generally well explained premise, in particular that it’s a sports car cup as opposed to GT level. Coincidentally I was playing around with some rules for a GT type cup (e.g. GT3, or GTE… the rules get really really confusing though), and came up with some similarities. I know some people will get a bit tetchy with the whole limitations on interior choice, mainly because we have a limited opportunity to play around with weight, which then has me asking: should there be a power:weight limit too? Or are you happy with just the hard power limit.

Another random question: why no carburettors? Emission standards?

And… any limitation to quality on the tyres? Or just type? 35k will allow most of us to bump that up quite a bit which is helpful… the other choice I was thinking about was “nominating a tyre supplier” and setting the quality, but again, angry people with pitchforks :laughing:

[quote=“strop”]This is a generally well explained premise, in particular that it’s a sports car cup as opposed to GT level. Coincidentally I was playing around with some rules for a GT type cup (e.g. GT3, or GTE… the rules get really really confusing though), and came up with some similarities. I know some people will get a bit tetchy with the whole limitations on interior choice, mainly because we have a limited opportunity to play around with weight, which then has me asking: should there be a power:weight limit too? Or are you happy with just the hard power limit.

Another random question: why no carburettors? Emission standards?

And… any limitation to quality on the tyres? Or just type? 35k will allow most of us to bump that up quite a bit which is helpful… the other choice I was thinking about was “nominating a tyre supplier” and setting the quality, but again, angry people with pitchforks :laughing:[/quote]

If the limitation isn’t stated, then it isn’t there. Keep in mind that these rules are not set in stone until I begin taking submissions, so I may (though almost definitely will not) add a power-to-weight ratio.
The reason for no carburettors is simply because they’re outdated, and yes for emissions, hence the need for a catalytic converter. It’s to help the cars be realistic and not too dated. The quality sliders are free domain–just don’t go too mad :stuck_out_tongue:

…so are you or are you not accepting entries? I’ve written suggestions but if you want to test the field before settling, I’m happy to roll with that, as long as it’s clear.

Strop, the very first line in the post says I am not accepting entries xD. I should be accepting entries within a week or so, though. The only reason I had posted was to get feedback, just like the feedback you gave me.

Ok thanks for clarifying. Since I was sleep deprived when I wrote that last post with the suggestions, I found a better way to express it: do you think a minimum weight should be stipulated? That is common in most sports car time trials in real life, however, in this game, it is somewhat taken care off by the limitation on minimum safety (and also minimum reliability), which is reasonable.

Personally, I’m happy to go either way, as in, it’d be okay not to make a minimum weight limitation, but I’m just putting this out there to see if anybody else had any thoughts.

[quote=“strop”]Ok thanks for clarifying. Since I was sleep deprived when I wrote that last post with the suggestions, I found a better way to express it: do you think a minimum weight should be stipulated? That is common in most sports car time trials in real life, however, in this game, it is somewhat taken care off by the limitation on minimum safety (and also minimum reliability), which is reasonable.

Personally, I’m happy to go either way, as in, it’d be okay not to make a minimum weight limitation, but I’m just putting this out there to see if anybody else had any thoughts.[/quote]

I got rid of the interior limitation (I don’t wanna tick anyone off), so I will stipulate a minimum weight of 2,000 lbs. (907.185 kg) in its place. It’s a weight minimum that can easily be met, as far as I am aware

I’m actually doing some preliminary testing and playing around with things myself, and can confirm that this limit is unlikely to cause (m)any issues, mainly due to the safety requirement. (There is one combination of materials for which that weight limit will come into play, and it’s a good one because it prevents the most extreme forms of exploitation, at least.)

The other thing I just remembered: any limitation on driving aids? They can really affect drivability for not a whole lot of money.

[quote=“strop”]I’m actually doing some preliminary testing and playing around with things myself, and can confirm that this limit is unlikely to cause (m)any issues, mainly due to the safety requirement. (There is one combination of materials for which that weight limit will come into play, and it’s a good one because it prevents the most extreme forms of exploitation, at least.)

The other thing I just remembered: any limitation on driving aids? They can really affect drivability for not a whole lot of money.[/quote]

Thank you so much for reminding me about those things, strop! The only allowed aids are power steering, traction control, and anti-lock brakes. You’re helping me plug up a lot of loop-holes.

Any Differential Limitations? That’s something racing leagues usually restrict.

On that note, I do know that FIA GTE doesn’t allow electric diffs (they also don’t allow active aero or suspension, or carbon fiber chassis which directly communicates with the suspension, but they do allow carbon cabins, so my thoughts on that here are that cost restrictions and weight restrictions will address that last bit).

I’m taking inspiration from the European GT4 series, which does not have regulation on the differential.

Sweet as! I do like the added challenge of thinking about whether an E-diff is worth the exorbitant costs which scale up with further quality changes.

I should start accepting entries tomorrow! Also, what do you guys think of the logo / banner?

UPDATE: Accepting entries now!

Works fine for me, I think the transparency is particularly effective. What font did you use?

(My car is pretty much ready already lol but when you start accepting, I’ll be out of town, so will probably submit Thursday).

[quote=“strop”]Works fine for me, I think the transparency is particularly effective. What font did you use?

(My car is pretty much ready already lol but when you start accepting, I’ll be out of town, so will probably submit Thursday).[/quote]

The MRCSR logo is in a font named “X Racer.”
The “Time Trial Series” text is in a font named “Racer.”

Okay, just as a teaser, I know entries aren’t open yet, but I’m pretty sure this is what I’ll be entering.

No prizes for guessing what it’s based on!

Question: will lips be allowed, or are you considering them to be under the category of wings?

And I have to say, from playing around with the idea, I’m loving the large budget. So much room to spend it on.

[quote=“Madrias”]Question: will lips be allowed, or are you considering them to be under the category of wings?

And I have to say, from playing around with the idea, I’m loving the large budget. So much room to spend it on.[/quote]

Lips =/= wings.

Wait… Don’t Tell Me… That car is based on an Eagle Talon isin’t it?