24h - La Marche 1960 [Results]

Your suspension might be too stiff, try using a softer setup. Make sure the “drivability factor” on the suspension testing graph (the one on the right) is close to 100%. Also 81.5% rating on the “steering (slow)” graph might mean you suffer terminal oversteer.

White body with blue stripe(s) was common at that time.

You can see it featured on one of the Corvettes that raced in 1960.

Blue body with white stripes was first used in 1964 on a Shelby, I believe.

It seems like most cars raced without bumpers. If the production model had bumpers, they were usually removed for racing. Adding some holes to indicate where they were fitted might be a nice detail to include.

I have seen a couple pics of cars that kept the rear bumper on—not sure why.

I may just post a bunch of inspiration photos later (for GT class in particular)

Alright people, enough talk. Let’s fight.

This is the Yinzer GT24 Mk 60. It has 1301CC of engine displacement. It is painted in Gasmea racing colors. That is all.

7 Likes

Looking cool! Could you explain what those extra bits on the hood and side of the car for, I’m not entirely sure. Scoops or something I presume?

CAPITAL CLM60 “DUCKNOSE”

Company’s History

Extra Lore

By the late 1950’s, Capital had solidified it’s reputation as a competent car company, capable of leading some national car markets in Argentina and neighbouring countries, and was looking to expand to Europe.
In order to get as much publicity, as soon as possible, it was decided to build a car able to compete in one of the most famous races in history, the 24 hours of LeMans, on the Sport Prototype category.
The car would be built on a steel monocoque chassis with aluminum panels, and host an all-new 3.0 V6 that was planned to be used in the future line up of car models.
Although the design was based on previous race cars of the company, it was adapted for the high speeds that had to be achieved during the race. The front was modified with a low and sleek profile, that resembled a “duck nose” thanks to the national color livery.

Gallery

35 Likes

The hood has an external tachometer and a shift light, along with an intake scoop. The side vents are for the extra air flow through the engine compartment to keep the 1.3 liter beast running cool.

2 Likes

1960 Torrent Kanata V8R from Canada - powered by a 205hp V8. Pretty good fuel economy - hope that helps in the long range.

Based off the production Kanata from the twin trim challenge.

13 Likes

Looking cool! So creative with your fixture usage !

RE Upload:

1960 Aurora Marathon 1500 GTS from Canada

Car Specs

Weight: 626 kilograms

Wheelbase: 2.03 meters

Drivetrain Layout: RR

Acceleration: 0-100 km/h in 4.8s

Cornering Grip Slow: 0.99 G’s

Cornering Grip Fast: 0.91 G’s

Engine Specs

CLASSIFIED

5 Likes

Just use whatever you prefer! This requirement is just to get reasonable paint schemes - I will not be super harshly judging them!

In reality the Grand Tourers had to be at the same weight as the production trim (with a margin of -3%). So normally you would not be racing without bumpers. But if you added other things increasing weight (rollbar for example), you might remove bumpers to balance it out. Just as an inspiration. For me, entering with and without bumpers is fine.

You are automatically entered into all available categories. I will slip engineering-related DQs into the beauty contest, as long as they fit the theme and meet the other requirements (especially visual requirements) - and as long as it looks like you tried to follow the rules and maybe missed one or two by accident. Please at least try to stick to the rules.

For all performance-oriented categories a no-mercy scrutineering policy will be applied. :hammer:

It really sounds like the suspension is too hard. Typically you need staggered tires (wider rears than fronts) for mid-engine cars to fix oversteer characteristics and trying to fix it only by suspension tuning will probably lead into issues. Feel free to contact me on Discord with screenshots if you need a few hints.

2 Likes

Are the red numbers necessary? I know the colour list on Wikipedia says red on white, but I would prefer black on white, as I never saw a car with red numbers at Le Mans.

2 Likes

Yeah I think the red numbers were used mostly on F1. Sure, I’ll change it before sending the .car file

Hey does anyone know if some of the Sports Prototype cars were prone to lift? I’m test driving my entry in Beam and at high speed the car just flies away when turning, anyone know any fixes

i was curious to know whats an good numbers of lap in the 2.5l category, because i don’t know if i’am fast enough to compete

The most laps completed in a car with an engine below 3 liters is the Porsche KG team with a 1.588 liter engine at 269 laps

3 Likes

GT or Sport class? It seems most people are able to surpass the number of laps attained in real life.

I haven’t seen numbers for 2.5L, but on discord I have seen a 2.0L GT getting ~280 laps, and a 1.6L Sport getting ~310 laps. So I would aim a bit higher than those depending on which type you’re going for.

3 Likes

It is a GT carring an 2.5L inline 6, and mine is geting around ~290 laps without the beautifull bonus, i probaly can get to the ~295 lap count from it, but i don’t know the way to go about it, the engeniring in the engine, and production in the body are in the limit

Based on my own entry in the 2 Liter GT class, you’re in the right ballpark, but you could probably get a few more laps out of it.

Meanwhile I’m thinking of switching from 4 valve to 2 valve for realism purposes and hoping I can get similar performance if I take advantage of the extra engineering room.

2 Likes

good to know. thanks mate.