24h - La Marche 1960 [Results]

Recently discovering this challenge and Der Bayers youtube channel has given me some inspiration/motivation to start getting back into automation for the first time in a good few years, and since I hadn’t really played much then this also means that I’m pretty much a newbie. As such I haven’t had time to figure out making an interior and mostly fumbled my way through designing every aspect of the car.

I haven’t really thought about lore for this car, but its safe to say whoever/whatever company would have designed this would’ve followed a similar thought process to me.

when looking through the various classes I knew I wanted to take advantage of using a 4000 CC engine with a 140 L fuel tank and 225 mm tires to maximise these qualities and keeping the weight lower than those in the higher class.

After committing to the GT class I was considering what body style to use, and this is when I thought about how cool a Holden Torana would be at LeMans. I decided to go with a 3-door hatch since that's what my dad owns, and to "inspire" the design of the front-end off of the oldest model Torana, the hb, since it was produced in the late 60's and I figured the style would still be fitting for the early 60's.

(new users can only have one embedded media post) >:(

For the rear I just kept it simple with basic fixtures, adding a small spoiler reminiscent of what can be found on later Toranas and modifying the bottom of the automation body to create a more aggressive body shape.

AND BEHOLD, THE THUNDERING HEART OF THE BEAST. 4000cc v8 engine making 269 (nice) hp (200 kW), this bad boy can fit so many ponies it gives the car a terminal case of “oversteer”, not that it matters since this power can be put to good use on LeMans long straights and exiting tight corners, from extensive (20 mins) testing on beam if you keep it pointed straight it’ll rip from 0-100kph in 6.5 seconds. and thanks to the relative size of body to engine it can be nestled comfortably just behind the front axle and nice and low in the engine bay, helping to improve weight distribution and lower the centre of mass.

this is really my first proper build beyond just screwing around and I’m reasonably happy with how it came out : )

4 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

looks really good, great to have someone entering an aussie car, love the idea and great execution

2 Likes

So I have a little question about the entry process, new users can’t even send private message, after getting a “Basic” badge I can send private message but no files. Is it ok to send the .car file via google drive or there is someway to upgrade my account to send the .car direct in the message?

2 Likes

If I see it correctly, you should now have reached the basic trust level on Discourse and should be able to send a private message. If not, this is what Discourse says on how to advance to the basic trust level:

• Entering at least 5 topics
  • Reading at least 30 posts
  • Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts
2 Likes

Normally I am a bit of a dick and I should have banned messing with tires in advanced trim, but now it is too late to add that rule. So you get away with it. :slight_smile:

DEADLINE IN 24 HOURS

Just a friendly reminder :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Sent to you the PM, problably the sistem had me locked for a while untill actually updated my trust level.

3 Likes

Thank god i submitted early this time :clap:

1 Like

I’m just hoping I passed scrutineering.

I double checked everything, read the rules several times, but I’m still paranoid that I missed something.

6 Likes

You’re not alone in feeling that way. :joy: Like handing in an exam. It’ll be alright!

2 Likes

I feel like that every time :S

And here’s my second entry:

1960 Albere Guille - Le Mans Sports Proto

• 2500cc V8
  • FR drivetrain
  • Double wishbones front and rear
  • 5-speed gearbox
  • Mass ~1100kg

9 Likes
LITTLE RACE CAR GO WEE WOO!!! Honestly surprised by how this one turned out, at first I was super unmotivated and kinda unsure but now I think it looks kinda good and hopefully others feel the same way!
1960 Viettor Viela GTO. Designed and engineered in Indonesia.
37 Likes

Almost done with my car, just want to make sure if these stripes would be fine

3 Likes

** chef’s kiss **

2 Likes

How long did it take people to create their vehicles? I’ve had obstacles meaning I can only start the process tonight. Is it worth trying to speed run a car to enter?

1 Like

I converted a lore car in less than two hours into a bearable entry.
I think you will need 5-6 hours if you start from zero.

1 Like

The front end of the Viela GTO reminds me of my LVC LS60, except that in addition to having a Kamm tail (but no ducktail), it lacks indicators (which are not required on race cars anyway), and the Viela’s headlights are stacked vertically instead of being slanted, while the combination of a mid-mounted V8 and a pair of circular taillight lenses on each side recall my LS40. At any rate, this is the best-looking race car you’ve designed so far.

1 Like

What did yall do for seats I can’t seem to find a 60s looking race seat at all

There are some in this mod

2 Likes