24h - La Marche 1960 [Results]

Any rules against open-wheelers? It’s not written nor is it said in the video presenting the rules and regulations.

does this imply that sports prototypes can use aero fixtures, as long as they look like they’re undertrays?

That was addressed in the video that was posted, as long as your aero sliders are unavailable you should be good. I think otherwise as long as the aero is set as low as possible and creates as much lift as the bare car it might be fine.

I am excited to see how far people are able to smash the IRL records. My suboptimal breadvan is already top 10 compared to the 1960 le mans entries.

Good luck and may your engines not explode horribly 2 hours in

P.S. what are the default tech pools and how do i change them in sandbox?

3 Likes

Under the quality slider is a box with a +#, click that and you can set the tech pools. in the main regulations charts you can find the values to set them all to, engine is 0 across the board, body/chasis has a few points allotted.

Will interiors be required and or judged for cosmetics?

The default techpool is +5 on everything, you can change it if you press a button beneath the quality slider.
I think people will smash the IRL results, currently my 1300cc car would finish 8th in the actual race

Good to know ^-^
Also oof im using 4000 cc to finish 8th. the breadvan body is not as aerodynamically kind as it was irl it seems

My 2999cc car, which is somewhat cheesy, could win '60, '61, and '62. No rules against an open-wheeler yet, but the engineering ministry is open to changing.

No rules against an open-wheeler yet, but the engineering ministry is open to changing.

I hope they ban open-wheels because holy moly guacamoly they are broken. I tested with one of fillmann’s bodies and my ITE increased 22,1% despite my wheight increasing 6,8% and using the exact same engine.

3 Likes

I’m all for a ban, but I’m going to keep it until then.

For those curious about why the open wheel bodies are broken - it’s much the same as what was mentioned earlier about bounding boxes and drag coefficients, just with a new hole in the game.

Automation determines the width of cars based on the body panels themselves. For closed-wheeled cars, that’s generally fine as the panels are wider than the wheels. For open wheel bodies, however,the panels are substantially narrower than the overall car, with substantial portions of the wheels, chassis and suspension sticking out beyond the panels. As a result, these bodies have unrealistically low width. This provides an unrealistically low cross-sectional area, and hence an unrealistically low amount of drag.

If unrealistically low drag coefficients and unrealistically sized bounding boxes were enough to get an initial ban before being overturned, then unrealistically low width should be too. The bodies are fundamentally broken.

Agreed, which is why I’m for a stated ban. To accommodate for the drag I have turned the brake airflow all the way up and am considering turning the cooling airflow up as well. Essentially anything that will add drag without adding aero.

I feel like even if the drag was calculated correctly for open-wheelers they would still have an advantage being as small and light as they are. Within an hour last night I had a car that could have won '60, kind of why I want to keep it. I have been designing other normal cars in the interim for the eventuality of a ban, but it has to start somewhere and someone has to ask.

Let me let you in on a little secret… It’s not hard to make a car that beats the real 1960 winners.

There’s a lot that the spreadsheet doesn’t simulate. It doesn’t simulate the fact that racing at night is hard. It doesn’t simulate the fact that the changes in temperature across andendurance race change the characteristics of aerodynamics and tyres. It doesn’t simulate the race being incredibly wet with hail (as the 1960 race was).

Besides that, Automation also doesn’t simulate how hard car development is. Within an hour, you can try a myriad of different configurations… And everything you try and do will work. Need a stronger bottom end? Just increase quality, parts are stronger. Need better carburettors? Just increase quality, it’s guaranteed to work. Compare that to real life racing, with modern simulations and tools, where teams still have upgrades just fail to work. We don’t have to deal with the traps, with the cost of testing, with the very real looming deadlines. Real teams did.

6 Likes

I don’t see the point in bringing up the real world when a clarification on allowed body styles is needed.

No it isn’t hard, and I already understood the drag problem and started from the get go with adding drag. There’s no secret here that we have it easy, fantasy design teams, fantasy drivers, fantasy mechanics.

That isn’t the point of this argument nor my original inquiry. NO mod bodies have been banned.

This is why I made it and am asking for clarification. I absolutely agree with anyone who says they should be banned, for any reason. I like the open-wheeler I made, and if there is no ban implemented I plan to refine it further and enter it. I have no problem making a proper car and actually trying to get the best I can out of it. I also have no qualms submitting something within the rules as written and cheesing it as far as possible. I could have just seen the above and not asked, not added drag, not tried to make it somewhat realistic to the performance I was expecting.

Now all of that comes down to me, what I know and understand about the game. Other entrants might not and with the rules as they are could enter a car that is genuinely broken and should have been banned. Take the question earlier about the tire sizes which led to additional class rules. If that hadn’t been brought up and clarified then tire cheats would have been perfectly fine and that’s essentially the same here, frontal area/drag cheats. No one is arguing that the real teams had it harder, no one is arguing that making a fake car - made out of 1’s and 0’s inside a rock we tricked into thinking - is in any way comparable to the real world. The metrics we have on paper are all we have to go by and for this race in particular it’s the absolutely miserable conditions of '60 we are comparing to. I don’t expect anything I make, open-wheel or not, to place higher than mid pack once it’s all underway. I’d be happy to finish second to last because at least I didn’t lose.

All I want is to know if open-wheel designs are banned or not

1 Like

I hope they aren’t.

Also, is this paint scheme legal?

1 Like

Open wheelers are not GTs and not sports prototypes. I will clarify it - didn’t think I’d have to.

4 Likes

Rule clarification has been posted. Let me know if something is unclear about what is a GT car or a sports prototype.

1 Like

Minimum top speed rule of 120 km/h added to avoid low power memes.

I can’t seem to get the tracks to load, and do not know what I am doing wrong. I already have extra tracks from the last challenge, but when I put these track folders in the same directory as those, the new ones do not show up. What am I doing wrong?