AGC22: Nostalgic Revival (Final results in!)

In Beam, setting the game to “Arcade Transmission” mode means the game will automatically change gears for you, regardless of whether the car has an Auto, Manual, DCT, CVT etc. It will also automatically go into reverse for you when you hit the brake while stopped. With “Realistic Transmission”, the game will not do this - in a manual, you need to manually shift all your gears. In an auto, you get a PRNDL, maybe with the ability to manually control gears with an advanced automatic.

My car has issues in Arcade Transmission, but not Realisic - that’s why I asked.

2 Likes

1990 RAUK VANIR 2.0 TURBO

1990 RAUK Vanir 2.0 Turbo in “Mango pearl” shown.

In the 80s, it became clear for the swedish sports car manufacturer RAUK that it would be hard to stay completely independent in the future. In 1987, Saarland bought a major stake in the company and the first result was the 1990 RAUK Vanir. A “cheap” (everything is relative) mid engined roadster that would be somewhat of an entry level model was already on the drawing board, but the co-operation meant that there was a fair amount of Saarland parts in the Vanir. The engine was from the Saarland Polygon ET, a 2 litre inline, 205 hp four with 16 valve DOHC technology and turbocharging, while the gearbox and strut suspension was the parts normally mounted up front in the Polygon ES, now instead mounted between the rear wheels.

However, it was still a typical RAUK, for the better and for the worse, with a thin and flimsy fiberglass body to save weight and rudimentary equipment. However, it had power steering and ABS, a bit upsetting for the puritans but appreciated by many, since it meant that now there was a RAUK that was at least a little bit civilised. Performance was nothing to complain about, since it could reach 100 km/h in 5.7 seconds, and top out at 247 km/h - reasonable figures for a sports car in this class back in 1990.

The Vanir was built until 1997, and it didn’t recieve any direct successor.

(OOC note, it may feel a bit min-maxed, but I wanted to have a somewhat realistic approach for what essentialy is a notch above a kit car manufacturer, hence the negative quality in some of the areas. It is not supposed to be a fantastic piece of engineering, or being civilized at all.)

6 Likes
1997 Fokkusuōto Shincha SUPER-TURBO

Specifications

Engine:
Alu 660cc I4, alu DOHC 5 valves/cylinder, VVT - all cams
1 turbocharger, 37mm compressor, 30.1mm turbine, 1.1 bar
Multi-point electronic fuel injection, ITB, standard mid intake
95 RON advertised (98 RON max performance)
7000rpm redline, internals capability 11 300rpm
Cast headers, three-way cat, single straight through muffler
60hp@6000rpm (82hp@6100rpm w/ 98 RON)
71lb-ft@3400rpm (88lb-ft@3500rpm w/ 98 RON)

Drivetrain:
Double wishbone front and rear
Mid-engine, rear-wheel drive
6-speed manual, 4.39:1 final drive
Geared limited-slip differential
P135/80R13 78U (front tire)
P175/60R13 84U (rear tire)
180mm vented disc, 4 pistons (f)
180mm vented disc, 2 pistons (r)
Progressive springs, gas mono-tube dampers
211.5mm ground clearance

Comforts and safety:
Basic interior, 2 seats
Basic cassette, AM/FM radio with 4 speakers
Hydraulic power steering
Standard 90s safety
1410L passenger volume
285L cargo volume

General:
7.2L/100km avg
45L tank (gasoline)
693.6kg dry weight (40% F/60% R)
1 262.1‬kg max weight (568.5kg load cap)
Max 195km/h
0-100km/h in 7.74s
1.06g (20m radius)
29 900$

History

The Shincha was co-developed by HAAI and Fokkusuōto from 1989-1998. The car made it’s debut on a motor show on the 17th of January 1991, getting the most interest shown towards it from all the kei cars on display. Following the good reception of the car, it was released to the public in October of 1991 with a price tag of approximately 18 400$. The economy and kei size made it quite affordable, but it was slightly difficult to work on due to the size limitations.

In 1997, the Shincha saw a minor facelift, getting turbos in the higher trim ranges which were boasted to improve fuel economy and power delivery even further. With them came the fully performance-oriented SUPER-TURBO, but with a slight catch. The engine produced less than the other top-of-the-line turbo models. Instead of the 64hp as allowed by kei regulations, the SUPER-TURBO made only 60hp and with a big economy hit with the 95 RON octane that the car was advertised to use. But for those who still bought the “lesser model”, got advised to use 98 from the sellers themselves. The seemingly pointless TURBO switch in the glovebox overrode the ECU to make full advantage of the higher octane, pushing the engine up to 82hp and 88lb-ft of torque, with a slightly improved fuel economy.

In September of 1998, a test driver in a car magazine figured the quirk out, writing about it in his segment. This led to a court case for Fokkusuōto, through which they settled on being banned from the ability to sell for the kei segment again. Nowadays, it’s debated whether or not the Shincha SUPER-TURBO will remain the undefeated performance kei car forever, or whether it even is a kei car at all.

Extra pictures

Big thanks to Sukki Blue for collaborating with me on this. The engineering part was almost entirely done on his part. It was a blast to make this.

© 1997 Hetvesian Auto-Aviation Incorporation
10 Likes

1994 Knightwick Pulse

13 Likes

Well I’ve built what I feel is a good car for a starter ride, but I re-read that I need to put an interior in and after a few hours trying…damn man Automation just does not make this easy.

This is not a submission but just a mid-way chirp for help or guidance. But here’s the exterior:

I do wish Automation had more interior control mechanisms. Lock points for the inside, options, etc. Its just a hot mess once I get the camera in the body.

5 Likes

If not here, go to Discord to get a lot more feedback/help. These forums are dead at times, while Discord on the other hand is Poppin…at times.

2 Likes

perpetual reminder that #general-1 is not for automation

2 Likes

One definite help for me (interior or otherwise) is that in 3D mode, clicking on the cube icon in the fixture control switches you to global coordinates and rotations. Makes matching up different fixtures far easier at certain times.

2 Likes
1979 Markley Palomino SST Turbo

Palomino lore

The Markley Palomino was first launched in 1968 as an answer to the growing demand for a sporty, youth oriented compact car. Largely based off the mechanicals of the Nightingale sedan, it was available with a wide host of options and trim levels. The most performance focused of these was the SST. Initial sales proved to be quite impressive, with total sales hitting the one million mark by 1972.

Unfortunately, this crest began to fall there after. Rising insurance costs, environmental concerns, and a general shift toward more luxury oriented coupes began to erode Palomino sales. In response, a more Brougham-esque second generation Palomino was introduced. Utilizing the original’s chassis, it featured a more formal style roof, padded vinyl trim, and a splattering of luxury features. Initial expectations looked good, but the '73 OPEC Embargo put a major strain on Markley and sales quickly tapered off. By 1975, the Palomino’s curvy 1960’s coke bottle styling was showing it’s age. An all new car would be needed.

This third generation car came to market in 1979. Riding on a 102 inch wheelbase, the monocoque chassis sported the traditional double wishbone/live axle setup of it’s predecessors. But the engine lineup was all new. Taping into Markley’s European Division resources, the base engine was an overhead cam inline four. And a 4.4 liter ohv V8 was developed for the Palomino’s more traditional buyers. But the real standout was the turbocharged V6. Largely based of the same castings as the V8, this 3.3l 90 degree V6 used all forged internals and a reinforced block. Squeezing out seven psi through it’s two barrel carb, it produced 160 horsepower and 200 foot pounds of torque on regular 91 unleaded fuel.

This power was routed through a five speed manual transmission, a first for Markley, and a limited slip rear differential. 14 inch styled wheels shod in sport compound rubber (205s up front, 215s out back) and four wheel disc brakes complete the Palomino SST package. This ton and a half car is capable of a 7.03 second 0 to 60, 15.43 second quarter mile, and a top speed of 128 mph.

Finished in Santa Fe Orange paint, bold side stripes, fiberglass wheel arches, and “Thunderhorse” hood decal, the SST Turbo announces it presence with a flourish. With an MSRP of $25,100 AMU, it provides a refreshing jolt in an era of automotive malaise.

Additional Photos

20 Likes

One question: as there’s a new update coming now, does it affect the challenge? Will we get an extension for that? Thanks.

2 Likes

We’ll see how it goes honestly, I should also note that right now I have tested covid positive, so am resting up, I’ll put in a buffer week for now just to see how things go with update!

With this, I will also allow a resubmission from all those previously submitted for the new update drop if it does change anything/mess up builds!

13 Likes

Well, get well soon then.

4 Likes

Reading the changelog it doesn’t seem like anything should have changed right now, but I haven’t had a chance to look myself

Yeah it seems the game-breaker is coming next patch along with the return of Campaign

3 Likes

Get better soon man! Hope it isn’t too bad.

4 Likes

Deadline is in a week vs tomorrow right?

It’s moved to the 29th now yes :ok_hand:

4 Likes

PRESENTING:

1990 AERO KEAI

Version 2.0

In-Game Summary

The Keai, best known for it’s iconic expressive visual design and convertible top, aims to achieve the fun of a light F-R roadster without sacrificing the practicality and value of the Japanese kei segment. Though it’s turbocharged 660cc engine is restricted to 63hp by kei regulations, a focus on lightness and refinement make this vehicle extremely nimble and exciting to drive, almost like a go kart. Its size and agility make it very well suited to zipping through the tight mountain passes and cramped inner cities of Japan, while making it a great car for newer drivers who want to to practice conserving momentum.

Specs

Engine: 660cc I3 (Turbo)
Weight: 850kg - 1875lb
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Weight Distribution: 57% front - 43% rear
Fuel Economy: Broken right now (Automation is displaying 0% fuel economy because 4.2 do be buggy right now. I have put up a report, and will wait until later in the week to see if it gets fixed before sending the car. It’s supposed to be somewhere around 30-35mpg (8-6.5 L/100km).)

Peak Power: 63hp @ 8200 RPM
Peak Torque: 46lb/ft @ 6200 RPM
Top speed: 140kph - 87mph (limited)
0-60 - 12.9 seconds
Cornering: .968g @ 20m

Fun Fact

Cool fun fact! :)

Did you know this model was ~exported~? O.O

That means the car is available in both left and right hand drive! :O

Which allows players to choose whichever configuration they’re more familiar with, reducing the disorientation they may have to deal with while learning how to play the game! :D

That is the reason many of the above pictures are left-hand drive!

It definitely has nothing to do with the fact that the creator lives in a RHD country and could have hypothetically put the steering wheel on the correct side of the car by mistake and not realized it until the interior was nearly done by which point switching it over would have been too much of a scope issue so they’d have just had to submit the car as it is and make up a hurried excuse as to why it isn’t LHD while praying that the host who emphasized realism in the rules understands their honest mistake and predicament and doesn’t harshly penalize them for their treacherous insolence

That’s definitely not the reason at all! (=

9 Likes

Kawaii.

1999 Wells 2.4 LC

Who would have thought a mid level premium coupe could exist in an arena like this? Surely not the people at Wells when this LC was conceived. Originally intended to be a sensible personal luxury coupe, the '99 LC rose to stardom after being all on the big screen in the smash hit movie “Drift Kings”

Packing a whopping 176hp and rwd youll never get yourself into a pickle, which means that this car is perfect for beginners.

9 Likes