AGC22: Nostalgic Revival (Final results in!)

For the best experience, please view this post on desktop.

MID-ENGINED FUN

The Hinode MID2 is a mid-engined, two-seater sports car produced by Hinode Motors between 1984 and 2007 over three generations. The first generation (pictured) was produced between 1984 and 1989.

The MID2 was designed from the ground up to be a fun car, featuring a lightweight body (the top-spec model weighed just over 920kg), strong handling characteristics, and a small engine. Many components, including the engine and suspension, were borrowed from other Hinode models to help reduce cost.

In addition to being sporty, the MID2 was also engineered to be usable on an everyday basis. The MID2 was fuel-efficient for a car in its class and had a reasonably comfortable ride, although the use of staggered tyres and its mid-engined layout meant that maintenance was more expensive than the average car. Its interior was relatively well-equipped, with options including sportier seats from RICARDO, a premium sound system, and a moonroof.

At launch, the MID2 was offered with a naturally aspirated 1.6 litre DOHC inline-four which was designed with the help of BGST Design. The engine was equipped with electronic fuel injection and produced 124hp (126PS; 93kW) at 6500rpm, with a 6900rpm redline. A five-speed manual is standard with a four-speed automatic available as an option. Torque-sensing limited slip differential was also available as an option to help improve handling, as are 14-inch alloy wheels with sport tyres, a rear wing, and a roof spoiler.

Due to its characteristics, the MID2 became a popular entry-level sports car for those who wanted a mid-engined driving experience at a relatively low price. And thanks to its daily drivability and stable handling, the MID2 is perfect for the aspiring racing driver as well.

(Available in Blaze Red or Frost White)

Copyright Hinode Motor Corp.

26 Likes

Love it - it reminds me of an AW11 MR2, but but with a slightly more curvaceous look overall, and with a front end similar to an ST165 Celica GT-Four from the same era.

3 Likes

1988 Subarashi Heroic SrP-1

The forgotten competitor to the Starion and 300ZX, the Subarashi Heroic was a turbo Flat 4 light sports-car made for those that couldn’t afford neither a Starion or a 300ZX.

Lore

The second generation heroic came to fruition after the massive success of the 1984 Heroic SrP, riding the success of both the '84 and the economical boom of japan at the time, Subarashi would push for the Heroic to go up-market, competing with other big Japanese Giants like Ryotsu or JKK.

When it launched, the sales weren’t what Subarashi were expecting, many saw the price of the car versus its upmarket competitors and often flocked to the upmarket vehicles, to add salt to the wound; Subarashi, even when they made a name for themselves in motorsports, was still a relatively new and unrecognized brand…
this caused the Second generation heroic to be considered a flop. In an attempt to sell the now failing car, Subarashi would push for a SrP-1 version of the '88 Heroic, SrP being a special sport branch of Subarashi, adding almost 30 more HP than the base model Heroic plus adding more commodities and luxuries, this obviously would be a very risky business decision… a gamble if you will, which would succeed, the '88 Heroic SrP-1 would quickly become one of the best selling Heroics to this day.
The SrP-1 would be a JDM only car however, this would not only create exclusivity, but would harm the sales in the longrun.

Most '88 Heroics now lay unused, collecting dust; some abandoned to rust, becoming a sort’ve cheap starter car for those who dare with the 80s quality and flashy interiors.

Specs and Details

Cast 1.7L F4 DOHC 16 valve Engine Powered by a single Intercooled Turbo pushing 16 PSI Injected by a high-tech Single Multi-point EFI, Said engine generates 202.9 HP at 6800 RPM and 248 nm at 4900 RPM Paired to by either a 4 speed automatic or a 5 speed Manual gearbox that can propulse you to nearly 240 km/h, with a 180 km/h government issued limiter.

12 Likes

Couldn’t get all the photos I wanted in the post because I just signed into the forum ;/.

Try uploading the images to somewhere else and link them to the post.

aight, will do.

Lore

The 1986 Midlands Ceres GT is a bit of a cult classic within the premium sports saloon genre. While not quite as prestigious as a BMW M3 or Mercedes 190 E, it still had enough pep to compete with them on the DTM circuit. Boasting a stout 200 hp, not much by modern standards but a lot for the ‘80s in a normal sedan, the Ceres GT could get to 60 mph in just 6 seconds and had a quarter mile time of 14.6 seconds. These times were a whole second faster than most of its German competitors and came from the hallmark of Midlands engineering: the rear engine, rear wheel drive layout. This flipping of the traditional saloon formula puts the majority of the weight over the drive wheels, giving the Ceres GT a handling and launch profile more similar to a Porsche 911. The typical oversteer of such a layout has been minimized by key repositioning of weight more forward in the car to improve weight distribution to 43.3 front and 56.7 rear. Midlands’ use of Macpherson struts at all four corners in addition to properly tuned roll bars allows the Ceres Gt to pull almost a full G in most corners, aided by the DTM inspired rear wing and front air dam. It also allows the Ceres to a square tyre set up of 225s all around. The example shown, painted in Comet Bronze, has the 16 in alloy rims that are available only on the GT and RX trims. The Ceres GT officially tops out at 144 mph, though track testing has shown that the actual top speed is closer to 151. This is helped by the protective undertray cladding that Midlands has fitted to help with the mpg concerns of its clientele as well as for weather proofing. The Ceres Gt gets a combined city and highway mpg of 20.2, fairly comparable with others in its class.

The interior of the Ceres GT is typical premium Midlands. Soft leather seats, wool carpets and ubiquitous wool tartan inserts in the door cards constantly remind you that this is a uniquely British machine. The dash is well appointed, with a combination digital and analogue display scheme. The ergonomics of the driver’s side are crafted so that every switch is just within arms reach with minimal effort and the 5 speed manual gear box has just the right level of mechanical feel that is expected in a sports saloon. The premium Alpine sound system fills the cabin nicely and you would be hard pressed to remember that the engine is just on the other side of the rear seats. Rear passenger leg room is decent, though due to some red tape and bureaucratic shenanigans the rear seats are classified as half size because of their proximity to the engine. We and the team at Midlands assure you that they are full size seats in actuality and their comfort does hold up comparably with the front seats. Boot space is a bit tighter on the Ceres GT than most sedan due to it being in the front of the car, but it will still hold plenty for everyday use.

The 1986 Ceres GT may not have had the same lasting power as other sports saloons of the era in the public consciousness, but it still fits the bill for a starter car in a realistic open world racer. It has plenty of upgrade potential, mostly from the readily available supercharging options that Midlands supports for their cars and the fact that the 4.2 L V8 from the larger Midlands Astrea still fits in the engine bay. It’s also small and nimble enough to make racing through Japan’s narrow roads exciting. Lastly, it ticks the box for being a slightly more quirky option for a starter car that sets it apart from the typical fwd boxes that are the starters for most games.

Pictures

15 Likes
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH LOOK GUYS LOOK ITS THE FUNNY YELLOW EARRAPE SEDAN GUYS PLEASE LAUGH GODDAMNIT

wait, I was supposed to make a starter car?

1998 Kamaka Eidolon V KRD

The fifth generation of the Kamaka Eidolon KRD (Kamaka Racing Development) was produced from 1998-2000 based on the boring base version of the Eidolon, but who gives a shit about that? This is the real rally car for the road, with a bunch of rally stuff such as rally tuned multilink suspension, rally tuned turbo 2.0 4 cylinder making 280 276 hp, big ass rally wing, and uncomfortable rally seats. Did I mention it is a rally car? This rally car sits on 17 inch allow rims, all 4 of which receive power from a 50/50 AWD system linked to a 5 speed manual. The Eidolon V apparently has some weird cult following in Seattle where they are obsessed with driving around like maniacs and blasting some song about mirages out of the speakers extremely loudly.
los fotografias

10 Likes

THIS POST IS BEST IN LANDSCAPE ON MOBILE DEVICES

1995 AKARI KANSEI GT SPEC-R

Lore

Introduced in 1991, the third generation of the Kansei, Akari’s premium GT car received a major revitalization in 1994. This facelift upgraded the interior, revised the lighting elements, and added a new trim; the GT Spec-R. The GT Spec-R featured an exclusive, 283hp 3.5L flat-6, mated to specially-tuned 6-speed manual and rear biased four-wheel drive system. This powertrain allowed the Kansei GT Spec-R to reach 60 miles per hour in a short 5.8 seconds, and reach an electronically limited top speed of 155 miles per hour. The GT Spec-R featured exclusive Gloss Black interior accents, and a special pearl grey exterior paintjob. The GT Spec-R came in one configuration, and carried an $41,000 MSRP.

Gallery

17 Likes

Entries close in a few more hours! Make sure to have them sent in before 12 noon (GMT)!

6 Likes

pen15 and kookie present

ALYX Zénith R64

ALYX Zénith R64 Starting from 39 200€

About

In 1993, while under financial stress even when selling a lot of vehicles, Alyx, an Alsatian automotive company was purchased by the german giant Valens Auto Group.
The Zénith, a compact - although always growing - hatchback is the best seller in the Alyx lineup. With the Zénith’s old platform showing its age and the growing automotive market in Europe, Valens requested a 3rd generation of the hatchback which would be the first Zénith fully manufactured by them.
And so came out the 1999 Alyx Zénith.
With the purchase came a huge bump in budget which allowed Alyx engineers, with help from their newfound group, to create this halo car, the Zénith R64.
Using the Valens VN6 and a bespoke AWD system, they transformed the casual Zénith into a fully fledged sports car, all while maintaining its practicality.
The newly arranged powertrain produces 260 horsepower, 330 n.m of torque and sends the car from 0-100kph in 5,8 seconds.
Meanwhile, the whole MK3 lineup offers a more premium experience over its predecessor, especially in higher trim levels and most notably with the infotainment.

Gallery

Interior by @kookie
Exterior by @pen15

21 Likes

Entries are now officially complete! (Were roughly 2 hours ago lol) Thank you all, and I will try my best to work on the results hopefully sometime this week!

Those who have entered (not 100% necessarily successfully yet as I have not begun judging, just by file posted & forum post including pictures and info) are:
@Caligari
@Executive
@Quneitra
@Madrias
@TheYugo45GV
@Mikonp7
@Est_Nbmstr
@Maverick74
@Knugcab
@Prium
@AMuteCrypt
@Fayeding_Spray
@DuceTheTruth100
@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T
@Portalkat42
@LS_Swapped_Rx-7
@vero94773
@variationofvariables
@Texaslav
@pen15 & @kookie
@BannedByAndroid

With the exception of @vouge who asked me before the deadline if he could post his addition to the thread later, that should be all who have entered I think!

20 Likes

REUTER GUFOLA
ADVANCE IS NOT JUST ABOUT MOVEMENT, IT IS ABOUT PROGRESS.

It is seeing a curve in the road and envisioning a whole new way through it. It is rejecting the constraints of traffic and weather and instead doing something about them. It is about creative transformative technologies. It is about finding inspiration beyond the confines of current automotive design. And using premier race circuits as testing grounds for our ideas. Advance is about recognizing the state of the world we live in, and anticipating what’s next. In performance. In technology. In safety. In design. All for the purpose of heightening anticipation for your next drive.

Grufola offers many different trim packages, corresponding to the needs of each one of you, across the globe. Grufola 2.7 is a Europes exclusive offering everything one could wish for. Eager V6 paired with a smooth 6-speed manual transmission, Grufola is a dream to drive. 6-speed manual transmission delivers a precise, athletic feel. Its responsiveness is due, in part, to the enhanced synchronization of shifts from neutral to each gear. A shortened shift lever and “throw” add to the sporty feel of the gearbox. The sixth gear drops revs at highway speeds for smooth cruising. Grufola is precIsely engIneered so that parts, features, systems (and drIver) all work together seamlessly. From the way the driver’s seat holds your body to the way the audio buttons feel to your touch, there’s a reason for everything. Nothing is superfluous. Nothing seems like an afterthought. Man and machine have never been more in tune,

19 Likes

No fun transparent png artsy pics for me then.

Judging Round 1: Bins :wastebasket:

@Quneitra - Munot Meteor 55LS Sportvariant KV 1998

Reasons for bin: Uses billet steel & has strangely oversized wheels

@Madrias - Sinistra Serenade STGE 2.0L 1998

Reasons for bin: Really questionable design language/very 5 fixture wonder-y + matte paint & really out of place interior colour combo/selection

@TheYugo45GV - IVERA Executive LXS Coupe 1988

Reasons for bin: Questionable engineering choices all iron (even though new engine for '86) + 5003cc engine (WHYYYY) + extremely tall gearing (1st gear goes to 81mph) + Sport & Luxury interior really odd between sporty muscle car or luxury car, it also only has 2 seats, for such a boat of a car seems extremely redundant…

@Prium - Torsor Tango CLB 2009

Reasons for bin: Exceeds loudness (51.3)

@AMuteCrypt -

Reasons for bin: Really really tiny wing mirrors (lol) on top of quite a min-max vibe (-3 on fuel and exhaust and +2 in quite a few other places)

@Fayeding_Spray - DAvB Sylph RX-S Clubsport 2016

Reasons for bin: Used Billet Steel and turbo race headers + Basic interior visually for premium + Completely broken brake bias:

@DuceTheTruth100 - Wells 2.4 LC 1999

Reasons for bin: Questionable styling (tiny mirrors and that front grille?!) and broken brake balance/excessive fade + Engine is a 2012 year in a 1999 car:

@LS_Swapped_Rx-7 - Kamaka Eidolon V KRD 1998

Reasons for bin: Race headers

@variationofvariables - Yamada Bass VSR 2010

Reasons for bin: +5 quality on top end

@Texaslav - Arlington Foxhound GS 1998

Reasons for bin: Loudness at 45 but not below, speed is over the limit even with limiter which is set to 168mph? Very confusing lol

@Edsel & @ChemaTheMexican - Aero Keai 1990 & Subarashi Heroic SrP-1 1988

Reasons for bins:

That’s all for now, leaving the 12 finalists that made it through:

@Caligari
@Executive
@BannedByAndroid
@Mikonp7
@Knugcab
@Est_Nbmstr
@Maverick74
@S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T
@Portalkat42
@vero94773
@pen15 & @kookie
@vouge

I will try my best to get some actual write-ups done for the finalists, hopefully done before next week.

16 Likes

No bin? :thinking: Wonder what went wrong then :smiley:

6 Likes

@Edsel Nooooooo! We were supposed to Kei it up together!

4 Likes

NOOOOOOOO!!!

I put off submitting until later in the week in the hopes that a fuel-economy glitch would fix itself; then, when later in the week came around, I forgot I had put it off! I was really proud of this build too, and excited to see how it did! D:

Seems the glitch hasn’t been fixed yet anyway, as it happens. I’ll share it here for fun, since I put so much time into it anyway. AGC22_-Edsel-_Aero_Keai.car|attachment (73.2 KB)

Rooting for @Caligari and @Est_Nbmstr; do the Kei segment proud, ya’ll!

5 Likes

/tearful salute!

1 Like

B R U H I set the limiter to 168 mph? That’s dumb. I’m dumb

Also, I’m salty about the at-but-not-below for such a trivial stat as loudness, in an update which has already overhauled loudness something fierce. I am angery.