[ARM] Automation RestoMod Chapter 18: Renault, Remastered (Reviews posted)

No, but considering that we have such a great 5 body, it was only a matter of time before it ended up in ARM, I guess

I’m loving this one… It vibes with me well

1 Like

Your assumption is correct, family quality isn’t allowed.

Please ask your three questions by DMing me directly. Luc isn’t reading the main thread! As for your other question, teenagers do plenty of stupid things with cars, but what they specifically did can be left up to your imagination. The wording intentionally allows for a large variety of possibilities for what those shenanigans were.

Just wanted to provide an update on the changes being made, since I know quite a few people had questions and so I wanted to put all this in one place. I spoke with @karhgath last night about revamping the techpool settings and how it relates to the cost/ET limits. I realized I didn’t fully understand what techpool did to the Automation economy, so I’ll build some mules this afternoon and adjust accordingly to make the values better and create a better challenge! Thanks to @abg7 pointing it out, I also realized I forgot to add limitations on advanced trim settings, so I’ll add that when I change the budget and techpool rules. Anyways, this is all just to say that while you’re welcome to start on styling, I’d probably hold off on doing much with engineering until these things are changed. Please don’t hesitate to let me know if you notice anything else that might need changing!

3 Likes

After playing around with techpool and trying a few different implementations, including those that included some freedom in how those points were spent (as suggested by @alen.alic1983), it became clear that the system is very unbalanced in its’ current state and is easy to minmax. After seeing the tooltip’s description of techpool, it became clear that techpool is fairly irrelevant in this application since restomod companies wouldn’t realistically be able to develop tech better than an OEM anyways. As such, I have opted to set the techpool on the base car to 0 everywhere, and it will be required for techpool to remain at 0. I have adjusted the budget and ET accordingly, and added the Advanced Trim restrictions, as promised. Hopefully this fixes all the glaring issues!

8 Likes

:man_shrugging:

5 Likes

lmao what is happening here

Submissions are now open!

4 Likes

So just to clarify, this is in game + all the added costs from engine swaps etc?

Yeah, in game. Should be on the Detailed Stats screen. The costs of engine swaps and the like subtract from the $50k limit.

Is this US mpg or UK mpg? 18 US mpg is ~13 l/100km and 18 UK mpg is ~15.7 l/100km

Good question, that’s definitely an oversight on my part, especially since it should be in l/100km in the first place. The intent was 18 US MPG and that’s a round number in l/100km, so I’ll update it to that. Good catch!

If you change the body, are you allowed to touch the morphs on the parts that are different from the hatchback body?

No, the same morphing rules apply if you swap the body.

So, the morphs are going to be set at the defaults you get when you do the body swap then, I guess?

I didn’t really do much of anything to change the morphs when I created the base car, I think I extended the bumpers a touch and that was it. I suppose if you want to do that, you’re welcome to, but otherwise nothing should really need to be messed with. The modeling of the bodies are fairly accurate straight out of the box.

TreadKillers present:

TreadKillers OverLand Collection #1:

Take a break from the busy modern techno world, and find yourself a small piece of silence.
The TreadKillers OverLand Collection builds are build to be the perfect balance of daily softroader and competent Overlander.
We from TreadKillers always stride to keep as much as possible original, to keep the underlying feel and soul of the car the same. This Renault got an engine upgrade, a new 5 speed manual with lockers and a overall liftkit.
On the outside we fitted the car with slight Offroad armor, bigger meatier wheels, foglights and a rooftent for perfect outdoor nights.
11 Likes

Renault 5 “Ailette Turbo”

by MTL Customs & Tuning

Cher Luc,

The whole team at MTL Customs & Tuning is proud to present you Véronique… in a whole new package! We hope that you are as excited as us to discover our “Ailette Turbo”.

Appearance

While many external elements were modernized, like the front headlights, the and rear vents/tail lights, it does look like a Renault 5. A quirkier Renault 5.

With your background as a pilot, we thought we could spice things up a bit on the look department. We replace the windshield with a split window to inspire the look of a cockpit. Rear side windows were closed and portholes were added, again to give a hint of an airplane look. The most distinctive elements where the rear fenders. A large vent were added, a “clin d’oeil” at the Turbo history of the Renault 5, but also as support for 2 small Ailettes, completing the look.

Additionally, to make sure Véronique is as quirky as ever, larger front fenders were added, the hood was molded a bit, the hatch was replace completely with something that gives it a travelling vibe, and an old school open top was added - but do not fear, it might look old school, but it is actually quite modern and will be fully weatherproof and isolated during winter - specially made seals and 3D printed parts are mixed with composite materials.

Oh, and the panels were fully treated - no more rust for good old Véro.

Performance

With it’s striking look comes striking performance. Véronique does not look like a race car, but she’s a real sleeper now.

To keep the authentic R5 vibe, we actually kept the original engine… but rebuilt most of it with performance parts and a nearly 17 PSI turbo under the bonnet. This gives Véro 175hp, a top speed of 250km/h and a 0 to 100 acceleration of around 7 seconds! All using the original, but heavily retuned 4-speed manual transmission, now coupled with an electric-assist LSD.

The dinky little Renault tires were removed and replaced with beefier tires both for performance on and off road, fully using the extra fender room. Meanwhile, the steering assist and traction aids were fully modernized.

The biggest change however is the suspension system - stolen from Renault’s rival, a DW/Multi-link system with hydropneumatic spring control were swapped in for maximum comfort and performance.

Véronique will now surprise many unsuspecting drivers.

Offroad

Multiple elements were added to make Véronique a bit more adventurous - an offroad skidray was added, as well as a specially made semi-active sway-bar. Coupled with the new suspension system and much higher stance, you are able to easily explore off the beaten track with her now, for a quick wilderness adventure - with it’s performance, you be there early and back before dark.

While not a rock crawler by any stretch, you will never have to fear being stuck somewhere… if you stay on the trails.

Interior and comfort

Now, step inside the completely rebuilt interior. Plush and stylish, the hand made interior bring luxury to the R5. The console elements were replace, but we kept the original shape and inspiration of the dashboard, but with sleeker, modern components.

Véronique is a two-seater now, but the huge trunk is easily accessible and can fit a lot more than before whenever you need it. The modern and fully equipped infotainment system is top of the line, and every amenities are available.

Final words

Wtih mixes of old and modern, luxury and quirky, aviation and comfort, sportiness and all-terrain, Véronique is now the perfect companion - it was important for MTL to retain her original soul and remain authentic, but make it your own as well.

She can work her magic on the tarmac, around the track or in the wilderness - you will never be far from some quick adventures.

All components used will be of the highest quality and trips to the garage should be few and far between. For a weekend driver, it also won’t break the bank.

We hope this proposal meets your expectations of a restomod. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Cordialement,
The Team at MTL Customs & Tuning

9 Likes

Mons Customs with Mons Racing

introducing

Renault R5 TL

Dear Luc,

Please accept this letter as our formal offer to restomod your beloved '82 Renault R5 TL “Veronique”. We have read with curiosity your and your family’s life story intertwined with this iconic car. We have taken a tasteful approach to restomodding your R5, keeping most original components and only changing ones that were necessary to achieve our goal to make this a fun and comfortable car suited to the needs of the 21st century.

THE CAR

Mechanical

For this build we have opted to retain the original engine, but have added a turbo to increase its power output nearly four-fold. With this new power the car will have no problem keeping up with modern traffic, and even add a little playful sportiness to the package. We have kept the drivetrain original as well with the front-wheel drive and manual 4-speed gearbox. Aside from the added power, this car will still feel like the car you knew.

The one area where the car did receive major upgrades is the suspension. The R5 has a full rebuild and replacement to a modern double-wishbone front and multi-link rear suspension and active components. With these upgrades you now have a much more comfortable and also more planted, sporty ride.

Styling

Although still easily recognizable as an R5, we did opt to upgrade the visuals of the car. First you’ll probably notice our proprietary Bluebird Eggshell paint, which is subtle, distinct, and adds some interest to the car. On the front we changed the headlight assembly to a sleeker modern unit with integrated indicator and DRLs, removed the superfluous grille, and altered the lower indicators into fog lights. On the side we add middle and lower body protection strips in the new RB Dark Blue colour that matches the front and rear bumpers. On the rear we replaced the entire light housings and vents with sleek LED rear lights and indicators, and a much more subtle vent that retains the original car’s air flow functionality. Additionally, we cut a large sunroof into the roof for those hot days on the Riviera, and mounted modern sporty rims.

Interior

The inside is perhaps where you will notice the most change to your stock R5. We have completely replaced the interior with the best of the best that can be had in 2020. A completely new hand-made interior is still reminiscent of the original interior - especially the authentic steering wheel - but it does hide a state-of-the-art luxurious HUD and electronics. The colour scheme for the interior is RB Dark Blue and Grey. Most surfaces are RB Dark Blue leather wrapped and have RB Dark Blue chrome accents. The seats and door panels are also RB Dark Blue leather with perforated grey leather insets.

In conclusion, we have aimed to stay true and authentic to the R5, while infusing some modern aesthetics and engineering features. The car is meant to be a fun driver with a little bit of pep on the highway and around the twisties. Luc, we hope you find our proposal intriguing, and we at Mons Customs look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Mons Customs

8 Likes