Ascot Automotive Appreciation Archives

Just a thread to share any and all cars I make under the moniker of ‘Ascot Automotive’

Background Lore: Founded in the early 1920s by the company namesake Gerald Ascot, Ascot Automotive aimed to help create affordable transport for his surrounding area in Ellisbury, Gasmea. Having a family and personal military history, he chose to name his first model the Ascot Commander in a tradition of naming that continues though the lineup to this day.

During the swinging sixties, A.A were in dire need to update their full size offering to keep in the sphere of current buyers taste. After much R&D, the Ascot Renegade was released to the world in late 1963.

For the frugally minded, or the fleet buyer, the Renegade 260 is seen as the entry level model for the line up. Featuring a 160 hp I6, rugged interior and solid construction, the 260 will be the starting point for any and all Renegade models.

For the more upmarket clientele, the Renegade 360 offers a larger 200 HP engine, more refined interior and chrome detailing and a vinyl roof to accentuate the body.

And for the performance junkies, the ultimate 460S. The largest engine offering from A.A making a impressive 320 HP, along with performance spec suspension, brakes and rear axle, this top dog shows that A.A is ready to enter the recently coined ‘Muscle Car’ segment with excess and comfort

2 Likes

During the mid to late 70s A.A had attemped to enter into the export markets with some… less than stellar entries. Realising their shortcomings, they made agreements with a Fruinian car maker to ‘borrow’ their small car expertise. So in 1982, the Ascot Janissary was shown to the world.

The entry level ES 1.6 features an all aluminium 1.6L Inline 4 with a sophisticated Single Point Fuel Injection system, a dependable and economy tuned 5 speed manual, simple but comfortable two tone cloth interior and stylish wheel covers mark the true first step out of being exclusively a Gasmean first company.

3 Likes

The Janissary is built on the Commoner body set (specifically, one of the smaller ones), but considering that it came out in 1982, two years before the Commoner sets would normally be unlocked, I’m assuming you used some tech pool points to use it so soon.

I did, yes. The Janissary was built for the QFC15 so it did use techpool for it.

Only 2 years after the release of the Renegade, A.A noticed a trend of these compact sports coupes, also known as ‘Pony Cars’, they decided they needed to keep up with the Jones’ as it were.

Thus the Ascot Cavalry 310S was introduced for 1965, by shoehorning a 190 HP V8 underneath the minuscule hood, and sticking similar performance upgrades as the Renegade such as beefier brakes and suspension, and a Limited Slip Diff.

And for the more, ahem, boring needs, the 135 provides an adequate 4 cylinder based off of A.A’s venerable inline 6 motors, and more affordable yet still comfortable interior.

(Not sure if an I4 would be that common in a mid 60s US car, but the I6 wouldn’t fit so I made a compromise)

2 Likes

USDM inline 4 became popular in the early 70s in cars like Pinto and Vega, however, there is nothing wrong in being a trendsetter.

2 Likes

Maybe I can tilt it 45 degrees and claim that it’s half a V8 even though the cylinder dimensions more closely match the Inline 6s I have made.

Before the Janissary in the early 80s, A.A had before attemped to get into the newly growing ‘hot hatch’ trend happening across the borders in Fruinia. Rather than making an all new, small and highly advanced 4 cylinder engine to go into this model, they opted to take the existing I4 from the Cavalry, tweak it to run on the more readily available Unleaded fuel and created this:

The 1972 Ascot Grenadier SX 2.2 was the hottest model offered in this Furinian intended model, making an ‘impressive’ 93 HP and well into the triple digits for the torque figures, as well as a more plush interior, as well as heavy duty sports suspension, brakes, and Limited Slip Diff borrowed from the Cavalry.

But for the everyman, there was a smaller 110 CI 4 cylinder that powered the 5 door SE 1.8, a smoother 3 speed gearbox and comfortable, hard wearing interior.

Edit: Fun fact, this car is envisioned as having a heavily shortened Cavalry underpinings. So this is Rear Wheel Drive, with a solid rear axle and leaf springs and a ladder chassis.

2 Likes

And there was indeed 4 cylinders available, the half-V8 in the Pontiac Tempest and the 4 cylnder in the Chevy Nova springs to mind.

(This next vehicle has yet to be named, so if anyone has any name suggestions based on the small bit of lore I added in the initial thread post, then I am happy to accept them Thanks to @Knugcap for the name suggestion)

After a few… less than favourable situations, A.A had found a need to compete with the ever favourable family wagon segment, but to also find something that could be seen as new, trendy and cutting edge. They had seen that more youth were looking for bigger truck based vans but needed it to be small enough to be used in more everyday situations. And so, they came up for an early eighties release of this: The 1978 Ascot Dragoon

Powered by an updated variant of the 135 CI OHV I4, the ES 2.2 is now retrofitted with an early version of Single Point Fuel Injection, as well as the pesky mandated Catalytic Converter, making a cruisy 90 HP going to the front wheels. The interior will seat 8 in grand comfort while also offering ample grocery hauling capabilities.

If however you need a bit more style and power, the MS 3.4 has got what you need. Sporting some two tone alloy wheels this beast packs a 210 CI V6 sporting the same SPFI system as it’s smaller brother but offering 140 hp to the front wheels, as well as more upmarket and comfortable seating for all 8 family members.

2 Likes

Dragoon?

Ascot Dragoon. I like it, has a nice ring to it. Like Chupacabra, or Warthog, but definitely not Puma

As A.A started to near the turn of the millennium, they saw the need to give the consumers a glimpse into what the 21st century would mean to Ascot. In an attempt of showing their forward thinking, they released for the 1998 model year the Ascot Carabinier

Sporting the latest generation of A.As fabled V8 engines, this 335 CI all aluminium variant makes a smooth 290 hp, propelling the car up past 180 MPH via a 6 speed manual to the thicc 275 mm rear tires. It also features the most up to date interior appointments to wow and impress prospected clientele.

2 Likes

grrrrrrrrrr… braiiiiiiiiins

Reviving this, cause… why not.

In a bold move that no other car company have ever done, A.A has revived an old nameplate in a more modern, albeit undeserving model. First launched in 2013, the newly facelifted Ascot Cavalry STX for 2018 is shown with the companies EconTec line of alloy block featuring dual overhead cams and four valves per cylinder, and a recently added direct fuel injection paired with a turbocharger to deliver performance power similar to n/a engines twice it’s size. This particular model features the 1.5T engine, with an optional 2.0T also available.

2 Likes