Authié et Dallier

Authié et Dallier is a belgian low series manufacturer of mostly exclusive sports cars, more info is coming when I bother to write something up, which, as you know, can take some time… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

1984 AUTHIÉ ET DALLIER 6/26 COUPÉ

With the introduction of the 1984 6/26, many purists were fearing that the brand was becoming too mainstream. Truth is, the almost bankrupt manufacturer needed something that was more of a volume seller in a market that had taken a hit from, for example, the energy crisis and evolving safety and emissions regulations that had plagued the 70s.

To lower the price somewhat, the 6/26 was the first model from the belgian manufacturer that featured some panels made of steel instead of the all aluminium bodies of all its predecessors.

Of course, “mainstream” should be taken in its context. Of course the 6/26 featured some rather advanced technology, like double wishbone suspension and vented disc brakes all around, as well as an interior where 4 people could ride surrounded by the finest leather and woodwork.

The 2.1 litre V6 was more or less half of an A&D V12, featuring an all aluminium construction with 18 valve SOHC heads. Two turbochargers bumped up the power output to 227 hp, meaning that the car accelerated to 100 km/h from a standstill in 5 seconds and kept accelerating until it reached 264 km/h.

Meaty sports compound tyres on genuine split wheels (albeit the centre lug nut was only a fake hubcap) topped everything off and was probably contributing to the great cornering abilities of the car.

When production ended in 1997, it had succeeded with its task, bumping up the sales volumes for a manufacturer that was encountering rough times.

12 Likes

This brings to mind a Belgian equivalent of the Maserati Biturbo (and, by extension, the AM336 Ghibli, as well as the V8-powered Shamal and 4th-gen Quattroporte, all of which were built on the same platform), albeit better executed. From what I’ve seen, it’s built on the smallest of the '78 W124-esque body sets (with a 2.55m wheelbase) - and it’s one of the better uses of that particular body set in that size.

Correct, it’s that body! :slight_smile:

And yeah, I aimed for a Biturbo competitor so seems like I have succeeded then.

2005 AUTHIÉ ET DALLIER 8/30 SEDAN

Even though the car pictured is a 2005 model, the 8/30 sedan was introduced in 2003.

At its release, it was not a direct successor to the outgoing 6/27 sedan. Instead, this was the return to the large luxury sedan segment for the company, after some years of hiatus.

Instead of the steel/alu panels that the 6/27 (and its predecessor, the 6/26 sedan) used, the 8/30 had all aluminium body panels (albeit with a steel structure), something that the brand puritans appreciated.

The engine was a 4.2 litre naturally aspirated V8 with a power output of 376 hp. That meant that with the 6 speed dual clutch transmission introduced for the 2005 model year, the car could accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 4.6 seconds, and had a top speed of 335 km/h.

A torsen differential and meaty 285 rear tyres helped to put all the power down to the ground. Vented discs filling up all the space in its large for the era 19 inch rims helped the car stop on a dime.

As usual for the brand, the car featured an interior with very nice woodwork and leather. Very few modern gizmos were missing, things like SatNav was standard equipment from the factory.

The 8/30 sedan was built until the 2012 model year.

9 Likes

Maserati: hold my frizzante

I can’t quite figure out the logic behind those X/YY designations - is YY just a consecutive project number or sth like that? X is cylinders, clearly, but the second part…

Those mirrors are a really nice detail, adding to the refined, dynamic vibe of the car. I like the complexity of the logo too, could we get a closer look at it?

3 Likes

It reminds me of the Quattroporte V - in fact, the best way to describe A&D as a whole is as a Belgian equivalent of Maserati. As for body choice, I’m assuming it was built on one of the '88 Indicator body sets - specifically, one of the larger ones (2.85m wheelbase or larger) - it’s too rounded for me to presume otherwise.

2 Likes

I just went simple. Number of cylinders / wheelbase rounded in decimeters :laughing:

2 Likes

For the 8/30, that means a V8 and a 3.0m wheelbase - the same size I used for the Ventnor V12.

Yep, so you were right about the body but it was the even larger variation.

Here is the badge up closer BTW.

3 Likes

1963-70 AUTHIÉ ET DALLIER 8/25 GT

In 1963, the 8/25 GT was introduced. A milestone in more than one way.

To start with, it was the first model to feature the new, all aluminium SOHC V8. The gap between the inline sixes and the V12 powering the more exclusive models was now filled. The V8 in this first iteration, with four DCOE carbs, had a displacement of 3.2 litres and a power output of 214 hp. In this sub 1 tonne car, that was enough to reach 100 km/h in 5.2 seconds. Top speed was almost 255 km/h. Fast for 1963, indeed.

Also new was 4 wheel independent suspension and 4 wheel disc brakes. You could also option it with magnesium wheels instead of the more classic wire wheels. (Later models ditched them both in favour of alloy wheels).

Of course, the traditional values were not forgotten. The all aluminium body was there, so was the exclusive leather interior with contoured bucket seats. This vehicle was after all by no means an attempt to cheapen the brand.

Being able to find its niche, the 8/25 GT managed to keep A&D breathing throughout the 60s, with the last examples being sold in 1970. The production figures stayed quite high for being one of the sports cars from the brand.

(OOC: QFC build and no time to make an interior, will probably throw one in later)

4 Likes

1957-63 AUTHIÉ ET DALLIER 6/26 GT 2+2

After world war 2, even though being a low series manufacturer, A&D had to concentrate on building their somewhat cheaper, simpler sports cars, and their luxury sedans. The 6/26 GT, introduced in 1957, was the first attempt to get back to the territory of top notch sports/GT cars.

The engine was all new, a SOHC inline six trying to bridge the gap between the small pushrod six with its roots before the war, and the V12 powering the larger models. A 202 hp power output meant that the performance was good for its era, 0-100 was done in 6.9 seconds and it had a top speed of just over 222 km/h.

As usual for an A&D back then, the sleek body was hand crafted and made entirely out of aluminium.

The chassis was still a ladder frame, and the rear axle was a coil sprung solid one. Some modernities, though, was the introduction of front disc brakes and radial tyres, both a first for the brand. Also, it featured rack and pinion steering.

The gearbox? It was, of course, a 4 speed manual.

On the inside, it did not disappoint. It was hand crafted and used the finest leather and wood you could find.

(OOC: Yes, I see now that I should probably remove the built in window cranks from the doorcards and place them somewhere else… :smiley: )

If you opted for the 2+2 model (like this one) it could also be somewhat practical!

The 6/26 GT was produced until 1963, when it was replaced by the 8/25 GT.

6 Likes

1970-78 AUTHIÉ ET DALLIER 8/28 Q.P.

Fast and luxurious sedans had been a specialty for the brand since forever. The 1970 8/28 Q.P. was no exception.

It took the V8 from the 8/25 GT and enlarged the displacement to 3.5 litres. Later examples, with a Bosch K-Jetronic injection system, had a power output of 233 hp. The surprisingly low weight made the car more or less a rocket for its era. The top speed was just a hair below 250 km/h and the 0-100 sprint was done in 5.6 seconds.

With independent suspension all around, as well as vented disc brakes, the chassis was more than good enough to keep up with the resources under the hood. Some people saw the spoilers on the later examples as a bit too “kitschy”, but they gave the high speed stability some much needed help.

Like its predecessors, the 8/28 Q.P. was all hand made, from the sleek aluminium body to the leather interior.

Of course, the interior used top notch quality wood and leather, as well as almost any creature comfort one could ask for in the 70s.

The 8/28 Q.P. was built until the 1978 model year.

4 Likes

Have you thought about what car the Belgian monarchs would be driving in this universe? Is an off-the-shelf A&D good enough for them or might the company have built a special royal limousine? At least I’d assume they’d buy domestic like the governments of most countries with a carmaker and that there’s no competing Belgian luxury brand in your lore.

Good question! I don’t really have any planned lore for this brand, I build whatever will fit at the moment, so some royal limousines could as well fit in, should really consider that, thanks!

oh man, i am simply in love with that rear end.

keep it up! (: