Automation Beginners League - season 82/83 drawing to an end!

Just wondering @HowlerAutomotive was that a joke design or what? The other cars I’ve seen by you look just fine, what happened here? :joy:

2 Likes

Dont drink and design, kids.

6 Likes

also, don’t huff paint and build an engine. or 86bhp will happen.

1 Like

Looking at the stats and configs - I might have an actual chance to win it, yay! :smile:

1 Like

Looking at the entry list, it seems that some of the hot hatches here look odd, to say the least, but most of them have plenty of power, and that’s what matters most!

1 Like

I’ve got three car companies going at this point.

Howler is very sporty and premium-premium. Comfort tends to be secondary to speed. I generally make those when the brief is a perfect match or I expect I’ll be able to polish a sportscar to the limit of its track performance. They generally look very aggressive and modern.

Gnoo is generally more affordable and economical, with a comfier suspension setup. There have been premium and sporty models in there too, so some could probably give the Howlers a run for their money. Sometimes I go for a Gnoo just because the design language is simpler, so I don’t have to come up with new and interesting rear lights or something.

Crawlingtons are custom small series abominations, made out of an auto manufacturing shed in Butte, UK. They are known and dreaded in luxury and performance circles because the vehicles look like ass and go like stink. The trademark cross-eyed front lights ensure that anyone who values their sanity will make room upon seeing one in the rear view mirror.

Other Crawlingtons of note:

My original car for this round was a Gnoo on the CRX body. But the body for the revised car (which was submitted) allowed for much smaller wheels, which in these cars was absolutely crucial for the best performance.
So I lifted the Gnux Capacitor powerplant from the Gnoo into the yellow box and made it a little cheaper to squeeze in another quality point to tires. The engine had made a nice round too hunnert hohrspahr in the original tune, but as FrankNSTein has already stated, 199hp in the Crawlington.
With the tiny little wheels the car looked so stupid that I couldn’t bring myself to ravage either of the two serious automakers with it, especially when I have a well established ugly motor vehicle brand on the shelf.
As discussed, the car did the ATT in 2:16.30-ish in the tune I submitted (and could have done 2:15.0 if specifically geared for ATT).

5 Likes

Even though I did a bad figure under the bonnet I’m glad to have participated is still an experience to correct future mistakes

4 Likes

when will the next round begin

In a few days, probably by the end of next week.

Results for this round will be released soon :wink:

7 Likes

Beginners Course

Here we are at the first race of 1980! We are starting with the official race of the ABL, the Beginners Course!

The cars are aligned and ready to start. And they go!
What a surprise, the Crawlington Gravyboat take the lead, leaving everyone behind! Almost 1s behind is the Smooth Dart, trying to get away from the Komodo.
The cars are really close here with differences of .15s to .01s, making this one a really competitive track where every milisencond matter!
One of the most incredible battles was between the Centauri Neutrino and the Royal Legacy, with a difference of only .01s!

So this are the oficial finishing position:

SPG 1/2mile

Now it’s time for the american racing style, where brute force matters the most: the drag racing!
And the cars went to the track, two at a time.

Wow, again the Crawlington surprisingle takes the 1st position! Two in a roll!
Next in line is the Royal Legacy, making up for the not so good result of the last race and in 3rd is the Centauri Neutrino, again in a fight with the Legacy.
The best battle was between the ‘Lil Beefcake’ and the F0XV6iR, with only .02s of difference.

Brands Hatch Indy

England, the raining country, except that this time isn’t raining.
And the Crawlington get the lead… again. It’s starting to annoy me, will they win every race?
Almost 1s behind we have the Smooth back, followed by the Komodo. Actually the finishing positions are the exact same as the Beginners Course, really interesting.

And that’s the results of the 1980 part of the championship:

11 Likes

The Eruption seems to hold up pretty good against the other speedfreaks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Man that’s some intense fighting for mid pack, the 4th-8th places are really neck and neck!

Edit @Newtonmeter oh damn, just added the times, you’re only .01 seconds faster than me in total time after the first three races!

Just as I predicted, this battle of the front-drivers is as intense as any previous season of the ABL was… I can only wonder what subsequent seasons will bring!

Winning… Yeah, whatever the config, I’m just lame when it comes to making anything other than a supercar fast on the track :smiley: At least not that lame this time.

always the podium. never the pole… well. i guess it could be worse

Daaaamn howler is kicking some ass… Very nice very nice

Guys is it possible to get some * next to people with extra penalty?

6 Likes

FTi would like us to remove ALL documentation that says that they were involved in this, in their own words, “damned travesty!”

6 Likes

What a shame for the King…This does not go well…

@nialloftara SOOOOO close :slight_smile:

Wow from 4 to 8 this is really close, hopt to climb up the Scoreing bord to the top half

Is with sadness that I must announce my leaving of the ABL as a organizer. My real life is having great changes for me, but unfortunately this changes are taking my time.

So, things being as they are, Ram and Frank are searching for a new writer. Anyone who may be interested, please send any of them a PM.

It was a great time reviewing these cars, I would like to say my thanks to you all for enduring my writing and lack of creativity. But I’ll try to stay here, but as a player this time.

12 Likes

Pikes Peak

Pikes Peak, the most know hillclimbing track at the world! It’s a very challenging and trick track.
The cars left one at a time, taking more than 10min to finish the track.
The Crawlington take the win again, what performance they are having!
Smooth is the next one, but almost 8s behind! Apartently ugly cars are fast!
The PZS Little Wampir is the 3rd, really close to the Smooth, only .35s behind.
We were leaving the place already when someone suddenly remembered that the SAF IBLA was still taking in track, with a finishing time of high 13min.

Thunderhill Raceway Park

And we’re back to the USA, but this time for an actual race!
Once again the our uglyness are at the front, Crawlington lead with Smooth Dart following two entire seconds behind and the Komodo once again close in 3rd.

Suzuka Circuit

We already visit the North America and the Europe, now we are in Asia, more specifically in Japan!
It’s Suzuka Circuit for you!
And for the first time at the ABL history of 10 years we have one car that won each and every race of a season, the Crawlington Gravyboat OPAF! Congratulations, Howler Automotive!
Almost 2s behind again we have the Smooth Dart, followed by the PZS, taking Komodo position again.

1981 results

And this are the results of this year:

And the final results of the championship:

writings by @Nomade0013

7 Likes