Automation Beginners League - season 82/83 drawing to an end!

I think it would make the field closer together than now. So the unskilled one can focus one the car setup and have a still usable engine.

One thing i thought about with this rule,
if one competitor want to use the engine, they had to say that before they get the Data of the engine, because if not it would easy for them to build the engine under their name and tune it.

So if you say you want to use the engine , you had to use it.
If you want to try if it fit you body you can get a mule (engine with complete useless tune but the same size)

So i fittet the engine’s in the dagger gt+ and run at the att

0.38s difference with the fitting gearing at the ATT but the manufakturer typ is 100 bucks more expensive, so i set the qualty at the gearbox by 2 at the free to use engine, if you can use a qualty slider more at the tyres it will be less

forgot to set the cooling lower

so the difference is only 0,31s

2 Likes

Everybody should build their own cars and engines in my opinion. I would not want to see a zip of my car in the top 3 post, but to maybe point out the pros (like what they did that give them the edge) of top 3 cars would be good.

1 Like

Yes, we will not be having a car sharing part of the challenge as it’s difficult to learn when things are simply delivered on a silver platter. What matters in building a quick racecar is the choices you make to reach certain numbers and whether you can provide reasoning for the choices you make.

1 Like

I’ve been playing around with turbos, and to me it seems that they are generally worse than NA engines for the same horsepower.

That might just be for me, but it seems like turbo engines might need a higher max hp to be competitive with NA engines at this point.

Yeah i am with you, i can build good cars with nice 0-100 and 80-120 times, but at the track they suck. THE AR Ratio is tricky i think. a smal turbine with a 1.4 AR gieves you an awesome dyna stat but is worse at track times.

Welcome back to the ABL, it’s time to move on to a whole, fascinating and fresh new round 4, it’s:
#1976/1977!

So yes, we’re taking it easy this round, starting off with just a power-to-weight limit!
##Rules

• Maximum tyre width 245 mm
  • Any undertrays allowed
  • Maximum cost is $17000 at 0% markup
  • Minimum weight 1000kg/2205lbs
  • Again, they need to run on Regular fuel (91 RON/87 AKI)
  • Advanced safety required
  • Maximum one lip, no wings
    ##Banned stuff
  • Negative quality sliders
  • V12s
  • LMP and other endurance style bodies
    ##Engines
  • Maximum 380 horsepower/283 kW
  • Minimum 25 reliability
  • At least one baffled muffler

##Winners punishment
@airjordan, @koolkei and @Newtonmeter you have to make do with a maximum of 340hp/254kW :imp:

##Don’t forget to read the OP for the constant rules!
(eg minimum cooling required, headlights+taillights+handles required, etc)

##Tracks

##Deadline
You have until the 24th of February at 23:59CET to enter your cars.
Send in your cars to @frankNStein. Please do give a warm welcome to our new racemaster, Nomade has “stepped down” to take on the duties of the writer.
As you already know, cars should be named like this:

> Model: ABL76/77 - Username > Trim : Brand (optional) - Model - Trim (optional) > Family: ABL76/77 - Username > Trim: Engine Name - Trim (optional)

Let’s hold one day to discuss and finalize the rule set, and scrutineering begins on the 25th.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. As always, feedback on the ruleset, the presentation, the layout, anything is welcome.
Have fun, and wish you all the best of luck! :grin:

6 Likes

Advanced safety? Jeeez it’s racing, calm down :wink: other than that it looks good, I think the penalty is nicely judged.

EDIT: are aero sliders allowed?

2 Likes

i have a car ready, but i’ve gone VERY french

Yeah keep it simple thats sounds lovely.
So every engine Konfiguration is allowrd now?

I think the penalty is fair but my plan using a van is really tricky now but i will try it. The goal is not to be the slowest guy on the track .

you can do whatever you want with any sliders as long as the car is under 17 grand all in :innocent:

Everything except V12s, yes.

V6’s are limited to SOHC 3 valve?

No more valvetrain limitations.

3 Likes

Yaaay, PZS coupe’s V… erm… I mean 1.1 I4, will be updated to DOHC! And 4 valves per cylinder! :smile:

Just entered my car, not sure when I’d get a chance to build after today so here’s hoping the rules stay firm.
She’s called the widowmaker, and she produces… “some”… torque

5 Likes

The tracks will be decided in about an hour, are you guys finding the rules alright?

yes. also, my car is right over the min weight and right under the max power.

1 Like

Hmm so I guess we can tighten the rules next round a bit more then :grin:

I happened to read this thread the other day and took a quick look at this (with that same body of course).

Turns out there is such a thing as too much torque. :disappointed: With the same engine block and power being equal at 340hp, 600 torques was faster around ATT than 725 torques. Granted they were also like 3kg of weight apart but I doubt that made a significant difference.

The rules look good, I think. It seems likely rear/mid engined cars will dominate, especially with high power on narrow tires (and doubly so with no drivability limit), and they can be a pain in the backside for anyone to tune let alone a newbie. Might want to consider trying front engine only in a future round if that does happen.

Don’t know if I’ll have time to finish anything worth entering, but might come along to play at some point.

2 Likes

I found 680-700 torques before 3000rpms was a happy zone with a 4 speed to stretch it out a bit

2 Likes

That’s part of why I suggested FR only and a few other things earlier.

I think we’re going to see a lot of V8 DOHC with NA and injection