Automation Collaborative Design Challenge

VENI · VEDI · VICI

@On3CherryShake · @titleguy1 · @yangx2

OUR INVERSE AMPERSAND LOGO REPRESENTS THE UNION OF 3 COMPANIES, RIDING THE WAVE OF INNOVATION, TO A COMPLEX MATHEMATICAL CONCLUSION.

EXPERIENCE A REVOLUTION

There has never been a luxury sedan quite like this. The Cambria Socair is sculpture on wheels, brought to life through pure comfort and power.

ART IN MOTION

Propel yourself in the pure thrust of a 3.5 liter turbocharged inline 6. 410 horsepower, an 8-speed transmission, and all-wheel drive equate to secure driving, even in the most dire of situations.

INTENSITY OF DESIGN

The child of the world's best designers - and not just automotive ones. Architects, interior designers, sculptors, and more were all employed to make art the central focus of the Socair. We looked to the sky for inspiration, with fighter jet and aeronautics taking center stage for our design.

Flowing like the Niagara Falls, the form of the front grille emulates the human body. Extruding from the clamshell hood, it reaches a peak near the top before sinking back into a relaxed shape at the bottom, creating a satisfying visual conclusion.

Flanked by flying buttresses, the side profile of the Socair possesses the most architectural influence on the body. These carefully crafted buttresses help funnel air through to the rear, reducing drag and increasing visual drama.

IMMERSE YOURSELF

Cambria selected the absolute finest hides and synthetic materials to construct the interior of the Socair. Leather sourced from Italy, sustainably sourced wood grains, and an airy cabin atmosphere synthesize an Eden to cosset yourself from the worries of life.

Here’s how our founders would spec their Socair.

"Honghu CEO Lixue Jiang is the embodiment of extravagance. His eye for class and opulence mixed together in a harmonius Feng Shui treats the Socair with a dark metallic blue and a flashy black and brown interior, unleashing both the luxury aircraft and fighter jet the Cambria Unius Sociar follows the footsteps of"

”Where we come from, the pinnacle of luxury is in a classy and reserved taste that can be met by no other. The current CEO of Farox and rigorous entrepreneur, Eric Moore, remembers his roots with a jet-black metalflake exterior and matte chromed wheels and trim. Inside lies Ebony wood inlay trim, and diamond-quilted mocha hide contrasted with hues of silver and black accents.”

"Rigore CFO Gabriel Kayne lives for the edge of design. His specification is high fashion and avant-garde, with a deep crystal red "Ruby Ember" exterior. The interior is swathed with contrasting white and blue leather for maximum style."

GALLERY

36 Likes

2020 Aether 17/2

Portalkat42, Olivier, and ChildishSinn

(Pronounced 17 dash 2)

The 2020 Aether 17/2 is the continuation of over a century of French luxury design and engineering. This high luxury sportback sedan distills down the 3 essential features Aether is known for: lightness, comfort, and speed. The 17/2's all aluminuim construction makes the first feature abundantly clear. Despite being almost 5 meters long, the 17/2 weighs just under 5000 lbs. This is with an an active awd system, highly optioned and opulent interior, and hydropneumatic suspension. It also helps offset the weight of the massive 8.5 L V12 that gives the car it's name. Power wise the behemoth of an engine is pumping out just under 630 hp, with a torque band that lets the 17/2 cruise unfettered and unstressed in normal driving. Kick the accelerator however, and it'll rocket you to 60 in 4.1 seconds and finally run out of puff at a staggering 220 mph. All that go comes at a price however, with a combined MPG of 15.9. Not something to worry about too much if you can afford this land bound fighter jet.

With the lightness and speed covered by the drivetrain and chassis of the 17/2, the comfort and precision craftsmanship Aether is known for is expertly displayed in the interior and suspension.

The 17/2 envelopes it’s occupants in finely stitched leather, sculpted wood, and smooth brushed aluminium. As pictured, the interior is a two tone split of Cumbrian Green and Portland hides, accented with tiger’s eye maple veneers as well as an obsidian black resin band underneath them. The exterior is finished in Deep Emerald Forrest Metalic. The sculpted seats are reminiscent of those found in high end planes (harkening back to Aether’s aviation roots), with both heating and cooling and active back support that, in conjunction with the suspension, helps predict and absorb road bumps. While the interior may look slightly spartan on first glance, there are multiple storage compartments that open with just the touch of your finger. There’s even a chilled compartment between in the rear seats for your bottles of Asti Spumanti. The triple gauges in the center of the dash slide away to reveal an infotainment screen, who’s info can also be displayed on the sides of the digital gauge cluster. The infotainment screens in the rear of the front seats also fold away for those who prefer to watch the scenery go by in uninterrupted comfort(Though why you’d ever want to give up the driver’s seat is beyond me).

While you’re enveloped in the supportive seats of the 17/2, it’s hydropneumatic suspension is also working overtime to keep your ride nice and level. Aether has been perfecting this system for the past 90 or so years, so it sucks up the bumps of the cobblestone streets of Paris with ease. New to the formula with this edition is a rear wheel steer system that turns the lengthy 17/2 into what feels more akin to a slightly long midsize sedan. The 20 in aluminium alloy rims may seem slightly small for a small for a car of this size, but that extra sidewall provides some extra cushion and pliancy to the ride that cars with larger rims tend to lack.

Overall the 2020 Aether 17/2 provides more than the whole package at this $100k price point. Supercar scaring speeds, private jet style comfort, and uniquely sleek styling make the 17/2 a luxury saloon you’ll never want to get out of.

13 Likes

This post is not designed to be viewed in the forum, please click the image below to expand.

Gallery of regular sized images.

By @MagikarpDrowned @ProfessorP3PP3R @Riley (Team 2)

24 Likes

FINEST ENGINEERING EXCELLENCE FROM SENDO
by @Falling_Comet @That-S-cop @Tzuyu_main

REGIAE OPULANTE
Grand opulence only experienced from a Sendo.
Exquisite special stitch leather seats, high-fidelity polished silvers, and only the finest hand-picked maple veneers will ever rest on the beautiful throne of the Royal Harekaze.

INTERIMO ADAPARE
Blessing from the gods have brought incredible quietness and comfort from the top-of-the-line.
Reign and glory. Comfort and opulence. Power and Torque. Not just any refined engine, but a highly refined Sendo engine rests within the Royal Harekaze's hull.

SUPREMA APICEM
Polishing acceleration beyond flattering.
The transmission in the Royal Harekaze meets a standard no other vehicle on the road could possibly compare to. Flatteringly simple as that.

AMENO
Yonder above the definition of easy.
Assists, airbags, and countermeasures all meet up within this technologically advanced regimental to form one incredibly safe package. From lane keep assists, autopilot controls, and a plethora more equipment, the Royal Harekaze shines above all.

OPULENCE BEYOND WORDS
FEELING UNDESCRIBABLE THROUGH FONT
DESIRES UNABLE TO BE WITHHELD
CLIMAXES APPENDED

THE DEFINITION OF ROYALTY

SENDO ROYAL HAREKAZE

27 Likes

SPORT DRIVEN OPULENCE FROM A SENDO
by @Aruna @66mazda @variationofvariables

SPORTING SIVE LUXURIAE
Unfathomably sporty, while retaining the essential aspects of a luxury vehicle.
From its diamond-stitch alcantara seat patterns, red interior accents, and subtle hints of lightweight carbon fibre, no doubt the Esidisi GT has the benefits of luxury sporting.

OMA NARE IMPERAVI
Command and conquer.
The Esidisi GT's driver's spot maintains a delicate balance of reachability and spaciousness. An airy feeling within the cabin gives delightful spaciousness and the tightness enhances the harmony between the driver and the vehicle.

SUMMAM POTESTATEM
Unbelievable to the point of flattery.
The 4.5-litre V8 living within this highly refined sportsmachine could no doubt be a hazard to those that challenge it. Great smooth power and torque unrivaled by other vehicles within its class.

DIMERE MANTIRO
Manueverability blessings from goddesses.
The suspension within the Esidisi GT has been refined on famed circuits around the world. Ease of manueverability at the limit is greatly refined by complex active suspension geometry work performed by only the greatest of mechanical engineers derived of motorsports work.

LUXURY SPORTING HERITAGE

SENDO ESIDISI GT

28 Likes

Ok, yet another update… After a recent poll on the ACDC discord, the idea of a community poll for judging future ACDC entries has proven to be wildly unpopular. This raises the question: Should the current ACDC use a poll, or just skip the poll? I will be willing to perform a CSR-style writeup for each car, and judge everything. This will end up with a quicker turnaround, and get us onto the next round quicker. I will still rely on the same criteria and considerations as stated before.

With this in mind… Does anyone have a strong objection to changing the assessment method? I understand that it’s a little dicey to change after submissions close.

4 Likes

I didn’t know that option meant a community poll, but it works for me (considering I didn’t participate).

Aesthetics poll would work, but that’s about the limits for public polls.

1 Like

“Is anyone there?”

I’ve had a busy week. I’ll be posting engine reviews soon, and then moving onto chassis stuff.

Edit: Engine reviews will be delayed. I’ve been at a potential COVID-19 exposure site, so I need to get tested - no symptoms, but it’s for the best. That’s going to eat some time, and is a lot of stress as well.

6 Likes

ENGINE REVIEWS

Sorry for the delay, all. Reviews have taken a biiiiit longer than expected to get out, due to some IRL issues. I have completed the engine reviews, and I am going to push those out today. The rest of the reviews are still forthcoming. This is a bit of a barebones post, because I just want to get these engine reviews out.

General Overview
So, many of the cars have gone with a rather similar engine formula. Lots of people have used V-engines, with large numbers of cylinders. Lots of people have used Direct Injection, and Turbochargers. The elephant in the room is Octane. I did not set a required octane - a mistake on my part. Fortunately, all but three entries have used 95 Octane. The three entries to use 98 will have it noted but will not be penalised. Without further ado, let’s get into specifics. Please note that engines are not ordered from worst to best within their categories - it’s just a random order.

Part One: Interesting, but not to my liking.
There are two entries who did something rather interesting. Unfortunately, interesting does not always mean good…

Team 13 - Aether 8.5L V12
An 8.5L, Naturally Aspirated V12 using Multi-Point Injection is an unconventional choice. Unfortunately, this engine also shows why it’s not a common choice. It is the least efficient and loudest engine. One of the core benefits of a naturally aspirated engine fails to fully appear as well, with two other engines having a better response. The engine is smooth, but not quite as smooth as the other two V12s. With no VVL either, the engine has a clear peak-trough torque and power curve. It is the most powerful, but not by much - and when that power and torque comes only at a certain RPM, it’s losing out to its turbocharged competition.

Team 5 - AMP Saturn 2700
From the largest engine to the smallest now… The AMP Saturn 2700, a 2.7 Liter V6. The engine hurts for efficiency, and is exceptionally rough. Otherwise, it’s fairly, uh, average? Decent reliability, decently quiet. The turbo lags a little, but it’s not alone in that. It’s one of the quietest engines, but there’s thin margins there. The turbo comes in a little late, but the decent redline is able to keep it sensible. It’s a very light, very cheap engine… and therein lies the issue. This feels like an engine for a premium sedan (and the entry feels like a premium sedan rather than a luxury one). This is an engine for a different challenge, in my opinion. It’s a let-down for “Make a 100k luxury car”.

Part Two: Same Same, But Different
These two engines are, coincidentally, V8s. They share a fair few, uh, issues together inherent to the design.

Team 10 - VTRI-50T-8CS
The first of our V8s, and the first car running 98 Octane Fuel. On the surface, it looks pretty good - nice and efficient, super reliable, and nicely responsive. The torque band is exceptionally flat and smooth. Unfortunately, there are a few issues. The V8 runs pretty rough, and the service costs are a bit high. Worst of all, the engine is somewhat difficult to drive. The turbo spools at 3000 - not exceptional - but the redline has been set at 6000. Having such a low redline really hamstrings the driving experience. The performance intakes are a little bit odd, as well.

Team 8 - Marculus 4SS6R4
The Marculus is another V8 with Performance intakes and, while it has a sensible redline, it still has its issues. It’s among the worst for reliability. Like the VTRI, it is fairly rough. The engine is loud as well, which hurts for luxury. The stats seem more like a performance engine than a luxury one, in all honesty.

Part Three: The Usual
So, a lot of these engines all exhibit similar characteristics. I consider these “the standard”, and I am reviewing them all as one. They are: Team 2 - Huron NGV10; Team 4 - Tristella VBR57BTN2; Team 11 - YJ50-PKHS; and Team 12 - Recanna CR5500 VersionKapati 55-10V.

There really, really isn’t much to separate these cars. The YJ is a V12, and thus has higher smoothness than the other three (which are V10s). The YJ is also much, much quieter somehow. They all have really similar efficiency and reliability. The Tristella is more responsive than the other three, and service costs are pretty homogenous. Ultimately, the biggest element holding these back from the very top is their torque curves. All of them have odd bumps and rough elements, while the top category is amazingly flat. That said, they are all really well engineered, and you should all be proud.

Part Three Point Five: Unconventional, but in the best way
Team 1 - Cambria Unius Harmony i6 Platform
The Cambria Unius is a rather genius piece of engineering. It is a somewhat diminuitive inline six, unlike all the other V-engines. Unlike our other 6-cylinder, however, this is an engine that gives everything you want. Great efficiency, nice smoothness, good reliability and pretty low noise. It has one of the laggy turbos, but that is honestly not too egregious. The simpler engine comes with reduced running costs too, and the engine is nice and flat. The one drawback is the power - it is down by quite a bit, probably due to its smaller size. This is honestly my second favourite, narrowly beating out the engines above.

Part Four: My Favourite Things
Team Six - LS60
So, let’s just get this out of the way - it’s a 98 Octane engine. Despite that, it probably comes in cheaper to run than the 95 Octane engines. Why? Because it uses low-friction cast. This is the most efficient engine, by a long stretch… And there are really no compromises made here. You get plenty of power and torque, the most responsive of all the engines, great reliability, V12 smoothness and the flattest torque curve I have seen in a long time. The turbo spools earlier than any other, giving at least 700 Nm of torque from 2100RPM all the way up to 5000RPM. It suffers in terms of weight and service costs, but those are not major concerns for a luxury car. To summarise, the LS-60 is my favourite luxury car engine in the challenge,

6 Likes

With these engine reviews out, I have a followup question. Do people want to see a full, detailed review process considering all elements, with stages for aesthetics, chassis or overall, or do people just want to see a quick set of reviews so we can get on to the next challenge? EDIT TO CLARIFY: When I say “quick reviews”, I mean “not going into painstaking detail”, not “just a list of results”.

• Quick Reviews
  • Full Reviews

0 voters

1 Like

With a 2:1 ratio, and following a hectic week, I will be doing full reviews. I have hosting duties on ARM which will delay slightly, but Stage 2 and 3 reviews will be coming soon.

5 Likes

Scratch that a little - I am feeling under the weather and cannot do full reviews. I can’t string together the focus. Sorry all, I am just going to push something out because I can - these reviews have gone on long enough. So, let’s do our more basic reviews. As before, teams are not ordered within categories.

THE BIN

Team 8 - Sendo Esidisi GT by @66mazda @Aruna and @variationofvariables
This is a sporty car. It has a sporty engine, and sporty styling. It is the sportiest entry in the competition. It is also the least comfortable. It’s a great car, sure… But it’s a sporty Sendo, not a luxurious one.

Team 5 - Keinrui F31 2.7 by @Executive @Maxbombe @Elizipeazie and @Reizei
It’s a nice car, overall. As noted in engine reviews, however, it doesn’t really scream luxury. At 60 thousand, it’s lacking in prestige and comfort compared to its more expensive competition. It just doesn’t get there.

Team 10 - Voltari Autchere by @vero94773 @yurimacs @Fabelhaftigkeit @kookie

When they say “crumple zone”, I don’t think they mean this. I am not sure if something broke here, but it’s in your promo shots too. The chassis is good, but not quite top either.

Team 13 - @Portalkat42 Olivier and ChildishSin
This car makes use of a massive V12, and a Glued Aluminium chassis. Unfortunately, it also has rather high fuel consumption, high emissions and low safety, but doesn’t make up for it with any real advantages. It just gets outclassed by the modern turbos, and I am not a fan of the front-end design either.

6 Likes

CLOSE, BUT NO CIGAR

These are all the cars that did well, but had something holding them back.

Team 12 - Recanna CR55 P-Line by @Fayeding_Spray @chichicoofisial and @Urke101
This is one of the cheaper cars, at 77500 Autobucks. However, it also lacks the comfort and prestige of some of the more expensive cars, and lags behind for drivability. Having said that, it does absolutely look the part. Perhaps a slightly more expensive interior would have done better.

Team 2 - Huron Entourage by @Riley @ProfessorP3PP3R and @MagikarpDrowned
Like the Recanna, the Huron is relatively cheap - just 82700. It is far more drivable than the Recanna, but there’s not much else being gained besides a little extra comfort. These are both good cars, make no mistake - they just don’t quite deliver the same high standard as the more expensive ones.

EQUAL THIRD

Coming in equal third place, we have...

Team 11 - Sendo Royal Harekaze by @Falling_Comet @That-S-cop and @Tzuyu_main
The second Sendo in the challenge, and the more stately of the two. This sendo is much, much more luxurious prestigious than its sports-oriented cousin. With a stately, detailed design and plenty of safety, this is a very nice car - even if it uses all the budget. Unfortunately, the top two just edge it out.

Team 1 - Cambria Unius Socair by @yangx2 @titleguy1 and @On3CherryShake
This is a great car, and I love the approach you guys took. Unfortunately, there is one significant issue, There seems to be a couple of oddly crumpled spots, and I am not a huge fan of the way that the headlights wrap around. Somehow, despite the smaller engine and a six thousand dollar lower price tag, it is as prestigious as the Sendo and the second placed car, and just a little more comfortable to boot - but those little details just knock it down a notch.

SECOND PLACE

Coming in second, we have...

Team 4 - Arkae Concorde by @Boiled_Steak @CorsicaUnknown @Lazar and @Xepy
The Arkae is just shy of our budget, at 98600. It is remarkably similar to the Sendo in terms of stats, and has a rather understated (but still luxurious) interior. It wins out thanks to its remarkably increased drivability - at 83, it is the most drivable in the competition. My one dislike is the rather small headlights, but those are not particularly unrealistic.

YOU'RE WINNER!

And the winner, after all this time is…
Team 6 - Bermag GVL60 Unternehmer by @MGR_99 @Ryan93 and @donutsnail
The Bermag had my favourite engine, and it has my favourite chassis too. It stands ahead above the other cars in terms of prestige and comfort, without compromising anywhere else. I am not a huge fan of the visuals - the side profile in particular isn’t too flattering - but the visual issues are honestly minor given everything else.

MOVING FORWARD

First of all, I just want to thank everyone for their patience in all of this. IRL has hit me hard, so I appreciate having the time to handle everything. It is my aim to continue with another round of ACDC; however, I will be making one major change to make sure things move more quickly. The next round will be a co-hosted challenge. If any members of the top 4 teams are especially interested in being part of the hosting team for ACDC2, please send me a message here or on discord. My aim is to have 3-5 hosts; if there are more than that many people interested in hosting, I will prioritise people from higher-performing teams.
22 Likes

so uh… congrats to the winners ig lmfao

Wouldn’t people who aren’t In the challenge be better placed to help you host?

1 Like

The co-hosts for next round will be ineligible to compete.

Hope it’s not too late to post this, but here’s a little extra of the Cambria Socair we made. Voiced by the lovely @On3CherryShake

6 Likes

There are some absolutely beautiful designs in this thread, ESPECIALLY the exterior design of the Cambria Unius Socair…HOLY SH**…thats nice!!! My interior vote is a split between the Cambria and the 17/2…both beautiful designs!!

1 Like