Automation Team Challenge 3: Gasmean Luxury Expo 1973 [JUDGING IN PROGRESS]

Teams have been assigned, but if an existing team wants to add you, that’s fine by me.

from rule:

• No functional aero unless you choose aerodynamic techpool (see below). If so, the front and rear of the car are each limited to one wing, or two spoilers or lips.

I not choice areo techpool, so no areo fixture allow. But is undertray allow?

Yes, all available undertrays are allowed.

ty

Question, can I fly solo on this? Aka, work on all three categories by myself?

Not really the point of this challenge, but I generally allow what doesn’t have a specific reason not to be. I’ll leave it to participants to decide.

Will we allow a late soloist?

• Sure, why not?
  • No.
0 voters
1 Like

I wound when deadline?

“Team 8” is now “Team frog”
All will be revealed later…

2 Likes

BTW @moroza - What’s the intent of this rule, as there’s no way of modifying the idle speed of the engine?

Idle speed is a function of camshaft profile and balance mass, primarily. While I complain about this clunky system and would prefer direct control of idle speed, the rules rely on it to keep engine powerbands realistically civilized. Without the limit, you could crank up the cam profile, zero out the balance mass, throw a bunch of quality at what’s left and end up with a screamer race motor as glorious as it would be unrealistic. At least until VVL comes along.

3 Likes

I’m aware of a few works in progress, and would gladly wait for high-quality entries. The whole thing is extended by two weeks with further extensions possible as needed. The new deadline is 14 September and isn’t strict in any case.

9 Likes

Just to be sure, does this refer to the engine family tab, or the top end tab?

I take that to mean “if you use one wing with the aero techpool specialty, you cannot add any other functional aero fixtures; alternatively, you can have two spoilers, two lips, or one of each.”

My bad; I somehow missed getting notified about your reply.

Valvetrain refers to the top end tab.

No, if you choose aero techpool, each end may have either one wing or two of the other types of aero. Wing front and wing rear, wing front and two lips rear, wing rear with lip and spoiler front… all good provided you choose aero techpool (or more precisely, don’t choose two other categories).

How’s everyone doing? Current deadline ends in two days. Are yall on track to be ready by then, or do we need an extension?

2 Likes

Our car is done, I just have to check for any rule breaks

A quick check because I didn’t see it in the rules - are we supposed to post photos / an advert as well? :slight_smile:

I’ve completed the engineering on my end and am now waiting for its interior and exterior aesthetics to be finalized.

Encouraged, especially if there’s something unusual to explain, but not required.

I wouldn’t argue with an extra 24 hours but I’m probably the only one so I can make it work

2 Likes

I likely won’t get around to looking at anything til the weekend’s over. Deadline is nominally the 15th, and not strict anyway.

1973 LUMIERE ALPHECCA CONCEPT

Engineered by @Vento
Styling by @nvisionluminous
Interior by @Knugcab

After a long history as a carosserie, Lumiere was looking into partners for building vehicles under their own name during the mid 60s. One of the results was the Alphecca concept car, presented at the 1973 Gasmean Luxury expo. It was actually a three way collaboration. While the mechanics were taken from Clari, the sleek Alphecca designed body actually featured an interior styled by LMJ design.

That might sound like some form of hash, but nothing could be further from the truth. Most obvious was maybe the beautiful bodywork, but it wasn’t exactly draped over some VW Beetle floorpan. The engine was Clari’s first quad cam, quad valve V12, putting out a mind blowing 520 hp. Combined with all wheel drive and all around double wishbone suspension it was a state of the art driving machine for its era. And while the handcrafted interior by LMJ design might have looked conservative at a first glance, it featured some new ideas, like the seatbelts integrated to the seats for an unobstructed view all around, and greater comfort and safety. Of course the materials were very well choosen, the finest leather combined with ebony wood, and gold anodized trim to match the exterior.

11 Likes