Basic Sports Car Competition

Hey all, I’m fairly new to automation, got a couple months in, and very new to the forum. I decided in order to kick my butt in gear to host a very basic competition, hope some of y’all will enjoy this. Minimal rules for maximum inclusivity.

1. Monday - January 16th - 1989 An announcement has been sent out to the automotive manufacturers of the world. Ulsan Motor Corporation has challenged companies across the world to bring a sporty compact coupe to compete with the Uslan Streetfighter, debuting in 1990 as a reaction to the 1988 Hyundai Scoupe.

Rules -
Techpool - 0
Vehicle Year - 1986-1990 (Model and Trim)
Engine Year - 1990 or earlier (Model and Trim)
Body Style - Coupe or Convertible
Layout - FF or FR only
Engine - Maximum 6 Cylinders, Maximum 2.5 Liters Displacement
Turbos - Allowed only on 5 Cylinder Engines or Less
Transmission - Manual Only
Fuel - Leaded - 92, 98 RON, Unleaded - 85, 91, 95 RON
Economy - Minimum 16 MPG (United States)
Undertray -
Materials - keep it reasonable
Price Cap - 27,000
Engineering Time - Max 130 based on suggestions
Quality - No Necessary Range, Maximum +/- 5 on slider

Judging Categories Looks / 10 (Subjective)
Fun Factor / 10 (Subjective)
Acceleration / 10 (Compared to Streetfighter Turbo at 5)
Top Speed / 10
(Compared to Streetfighter Turbo at 5)
Handling / 10 (Compared to Streetfighter Turbo at 5)
Braking / 10 (Compared to Streetfighter Turbo at 5)
Safety / 10 (Compared to Streetfighter Turbo at 5)
Jump / 5 (this is basically free points to round it out to 75.)

Total Maximum Points - 75 Bonus Points - +5 for using Unleaded Gasoline +2 for lore Total Maximum Points with Bonus - 82 (edited)

1. [10:48 AM]

Start Date - Nov 18th | 0030 EST [0530 GMT] End Date - Dec 31st | 1200 EST [1700 GMT]

Please submit via DM to myself along with a lore blurb if you’d like.

Stats on the Ulsan Streetfighter will be placed below this message on Nov 18th.

For Submissions, please use your forum name as the model name and the full car name as the trim name.

Thanks for the comments everyone :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There’s no price cap - around $25k should be appropriate. At any rate, I’m assuming the entries should be sent to you via DM.

And what about the stats of the Ulsan we are supposed to use as a benchmark? It would be a good idea to show us those.

Thank you for your comment. I’ll add a price gap in and a note about submission.

The stats of this vehicle should go up sometime tomorrow.

Are we having tech pool allocations or all set to 0?

Regarding the rule set for this challenge:

As stated in the OP, all tech pool sliders must be set to 0.

Is this for trim year, or for model year?

Does this only apply to variant year, or to both family and variant?

Also, are there any engineering time limits for engine and/or trim? I’m suggesting a maximum of 120 for engines (to account for the increase in ET when using different materials for the block and head) and 110 for the trim.

In other words: “None” is the only option for undertrays we can use.

I would also suggest a maximum seating capacity of 4 full-size seats (2 each in the front and rear rows), but this challenge should also be open to entries with 2+2 and even 2-seater configurations.

As for safety, I’d recommend standard 80s would be the bare minimum, although advanced safety (either 80s or 90s) would be preferred.

What exactly is meant by this?

I take that to mean “92 or 98 RON leaded, or 85, 91, 95 or 98 RON unleaded”.

And as for an appropriate naming scheme, I’d suggest “BSCC - (your forum user name)” for both model and family names.

Hello there, already the first part sounds nice.

Minimal rules for maximum inclusivity.

As I am having a fitting car in my lore, I consider entering and therefore I’d like to take part in the rule discussion.

As stated in the OP, all tech pool sliders must be set to 0.

Why can’t we just stick with the default +5 settings? Manually putting it to zero is always an extra work that some entrants will surely overlook.

Also, are there any engineering time limits for engine and/or trim? I’m suggesting a maximum of 120 for engines (to account for the increase in ET when using different materials for the block and head) and 110 for the trim.

I second that. We are talking about Hyundai competitors here, and there is no point in sending in an over-engineered rocketscience car.

Undertray - No

Why? At least partly clad was not THAT uncommon for sports cars in the late 80s.

I would also suggest a maximum seating capacity of 4 full-size seats (2 each in the front and rear rows), but this challenge should also be open to entries with 2+2 and even 2-seater configurations.

I mostly agree. As a Hyundai Scoupe was the referece, a pure 2-seater would maybe not what the host is looking for. Four full seats or a 2+2 are more what’s desired.

I take that to mean “92 or 98 RON leaded, or 85, 91, 95 or 98 RON unleaded”.

Leaded gasoline in 1990? No way. US had it already in the 70s, and here in EU it was widely available from 1986 on. I remember that my '84 Audi was delivered with the converter in the trunk, because mounting it from the factory would have limited the range as there was not enough unleaded. When I switched to a 87 Mitsubishi, this was no longer a concern.

Techpool means you just unlock newer technology earlier. Setting the techpool to 0 tales roughly 30 seconds. If that’s too big of a problem to someone, I don’t think they should be entering a challenge.

2 Likes

No need for salt (however in comparison to the time needed to build a good car, you are actually right about the extra work not being that difficult).
I just think that it would be more practical for everyone to stick to default game values. However, this is only my opinion and I take whatever the host decides in the end.

2 Likes

I’m not salty, I just sound salty.

Thank you for the feedback, it is really appreciated as I’ve only competed in 1 challenge and this is the first I’ve tried organizing. I will continue updating the post to fit in specific gas types and a naming convention as well as ET’s.

As for the Jump, to clarify, It’s just a fun little add on to see them fly… it’s basically free points xD

So for the undertray I just set that for simplicity, I’ll open it up for the bare minimum tho.
And for gas being leaded or unleaded options, this is being that, at least in the US, leaded gas wasn’t officially out of the game until the mid 90s and I just wanted to give people an option to use leaded gas for the additional performance at a hit to points (or rather, not extra points) for using the older style of fuel.

My current best fitting car is the 1985 Globus Bravura LT, but it’s a little old for a 1990 contest. I’ll send a successor in when it’s ready, but the older model might be a good inspiration for others what type of car could fit here.

1 Like

A quick googling, a list of 6 countries can be found still using leaded in 2017, including North Korea, who, amazingly enough share a border with South Korea, the home of Hyundai.:nerd_face:
Further self-ejmacating says South Korea banned lead in '92.

In this case 2.5L refers to 2500cc of displacement at most.

Anyway, the stats for the Ulsan Streetfighter should be posted by now.

And on top of that, will a detailed interior be judged or even required? I don’t think so.

Introducing the 1990 AMC Pacer model range - the traditional Pacer 2 door hatch, the Pacer X 4 door AWD hatch, the Pacer S coupe and Pacer Cabrio convertible.

1990 Pacer Cabrio

We’re focusing on the new Pacer Cabrio here. Like all 1990 Pacers and Pacers of old, the 1990 Pacer features a “full-size” compact theme with rear wheel drive and straight 6 power. The large-for-the-class 2.5L straight 6 engine makes a stout 140hp, giving the convertible a decent 8.7 second 0-60mph time, and a top speed of 135mph. All for the low price of $22,600.

This is the coupe - realized it’s not in the group shot above. Competition entry is the Cabrio above thought. Was going to enter the hatch as it’s a coupe according to the game, but felt a traditional coupe fit the theme better.

5 Likes

If AMC had survived into the 1990s instead of being gobbled up by Chrysler (and its platforms used for launching the short-lived Eagle brand), this is what the Pacer would have looked like.

2 Likes

New for 1988, Yajima Motor Corporation is proud to unveil the new sports model to it’s Cyrus lineup: The 140S.

Featuring a new 16 valve head on it’s trusted 4 cylinder engine, this pocket rocket will scream to 60 mph in a brisk 7.5 seconds and up to a top speed of 230 km/h, all while delivering up to 26 mpg for the environmentally minded sportscar fans.

There’s only one name for you: Yajima, Excellence through Innovation.

3 Likes

1990 Globus Bravura LT

Since 1985, the Bravura LT offers affordable sportiness in a family-suiting two-door. The second generation offers more interior space and additional seven horsepower.
Rumors say, a faster RT variant with a turbocharger will follow as well. Stay tuned.

3 Likes

1990 FMC Sidewinder

A comfortable, sporty RWD 2+2 coupe with a SOHC 2.3L I5 under the hood.

This one is equipped with the Turbo trim. That drops the compression, adds in a modest turbo, and comes mandatory with a 5-speed manual and limited slip.

The I5 features forged internals and lofty redline of 7200RPM, though peak power of 245HP on the Turbo model ends up at around 6400 RPM.

26,500 with the Premium trimmed Turbo package, as shown here in Barb Champagne Metallic.

4 Likes

What are the stats of the Streetfighter? They would be helpful since they should be posted since November 18.
Otherwise I would build similar specs to Lanson… currently 205 horsepower, much less compared to the FMC right now.

3 Likes