Classic Race and Luxury Car Materials and Parts

Could hand-built magnesium bodies, aluminum chassis, and classic Formula One race car bodies be an option for vehicles in later versions of the simulation? Magnesium car bodies may not be the best idea from a safety standpoint, but they were historically used by race vehicles. Hand-built aluminum chassis such as the superleggera type were used in both race cars and high end performance vehicles, and the V-12 and V-16 would be very much at home in them.

What will make it into the game are various space frame chassis, which are more tailored towards sports and race cars. The most futuristic chassis will be the carbon fiber space frame.

Keep in mind though, that the game is about factory cars and focuses on cars that have been mass-produced, not some one-off models or racecars. The same goes for the technologies used in these cars.

Will there be minimalist body designs akin to the Caterham and Atom?

There were a few production vehicles with the racing style bodies and materials in the 1950s, but they were quite few in number.

[quote=“DeltaForce”]

Will there be minimalist body designs akin to the Caterham and Atom?

There were a few production vehicles with the racing style bodies and materials in the 1950s, but they were quite few in number.[/quote]

I’d say that there won’t be any official bodies for Caterham or Atom style replicas (same reason F1 racecar bodies aren’t being made) but the modding community may be able to knock something up, maybe… :confused: I think the lack of volume for magnesium bodied road cars speaks for itself as to whether it’ll be included! (That is to say, very unlikely) Maybe a DLC about racing may be able to fulfill all these needs :slight_smile:

Exactly this is why it probably won’t make it into the game.
Killrob once made a video for Automation with a lot of frequent asked questions. In that video, he didn’t state this question specifically, but he explained to other questions that when its not mass-used, it won’t probably make it into the game.

Let me give you one “small” example;

Diesel engines. How big of a chance would you guess they have to make it ingame at this point? The majority will probably say (just like me before the video) over 80%.
Killrob took the marketshare statistics on Diesels and did some calculations with it on the go in the video. It proves they had a total marketshare over the years of under 10%. (Can’t recall the actual number)
Thats far too low to even consider at this point. But because of the bigger marketshare it has created over the last 20-30 years, Diesels will definetly come with DLC. (If the game proves to be succesful!)

As for the things you spoke about, those will probably be modded in by the community at some point, and when good enough, adapted by the developers probably.

Then again, adding diesel engines in would require a lot of artwork, clusterf*** of balancing, a ton of descriptions. Magnesium body panels, on the other hand, would require no artwork, one description, and some balancing to ensure they have right stats. I mean, there are few vehicles that have race intakes, but they are in anyways, because they are kinda quick to add. I’d say no to pure race bodies, but the materials are worth a consideration, I’d think.

Compared to the work diesels come with, I think diesels adds so much to the total gameplay value.
You can choose to focus on complete different market areas and a total different way of playing the game with only diesels for example.

Yes, the panels are easy, just like the race exhaust, but by no means would it compare to the influence of a diesel engine in the game.
I still agree though that when things can be added easily and do add to the gameplay value, it’s worth it.

[quote=“WizzyThaMan”]
Diesel engines. How big of a chance would you guess they have to make it ingame at this point? The majority will probably say (just like me before the video) over 80%.
Killrob took the marketshare statistics on Diesels and did some calculations with it on the go in the video. It proves they had a total marketshare over the years of under 10%. (Can’t recall the actual number.[/quote]

I watched the video and generally agree the stats. I would still like to add that this is a game and maybe you could alter the numbers compared to real world. If you would invest heavily on the diesels maybe the numbers could be something else…

Actually, yes this is a game, but when its not vastly used, would it be worth investing so much time effort and money in? Thats the question you need to ask. The number is not the one to be represented inside the game, but more likely to be a percentage on how much it’s used in the real world and if its worth it all to add it to the game.

Ofcourse when they make it ingame and you can dominate the market with your diesels, thats part of the gameplay.
Thats the whole point of the game, many ways to achieve your goal!