Cool Wall 5: High Proof [DONE]

I meant in regards to power steering, not room…

2 Likes

COOL WALL UPDATE!

Thing’s looking like a stalagmite or something.

Also, note that we have had a Cool Wall reconsideration - the Chevrolet SSR has been moved from low cool into low uncool. This is an exceptional case; I do not plan to move any other cars on the wall, so please do not be concerned about that.

9 Likes

Looks like approaching a Gaussian bell curve, as it should.

Would the exceptional reassignment not warrant an exceptional explanation?

2 Likes

I was exceptionally tired when placing that group of cars and forgot about one of Sam’s negative coolness factors. Ergo, there is something about that car that makes it uncool that I failed to consider.

3 Likes

Submission 4: Mercedes E60 AMG 3-door

3 Likes

I’m just trying to figure out the common thread between a Plymouth Cuda and a 1978 Toyota Celica. Kinda wondering what would happen if I combined them lol.

Well, the Celica was basically the Japanese muscle car interpretation, I guess it would not be THAT weird results in the end…

Maybe a “what if” the Barracuda had gotten a new generation after 1974, somewhat downsized, somewhat more “sport” than muscle, a bit more modern… Just like the Mustang II and Monza were supposed to also take a bit of the market occupied by for example Celica and Capri…

Just thinking out loud now, and no, I won’t do anything like that for CW so feel free to steal the ideas. :wink:

4 Likes

Style, I’d say. Note that functionally similar Corvettes are all over the place, while 60’s and 70’s performance cars - mostly but not entirely muscle - dominate the right end.

Even in that otherwise disagreeable color, that Sandman is single-digit Kelvins in my book on my wall. More photos and background for anyone else who’s never heard of these before: Holden Sandman review

The most popular options are mag wheels, V8 engines, mattresses and sunroofs.

Speaking of… is color of the provided example taken into account in rankings?

2 Likes

StalaCtite - grows from the Ceiling
StalaGmite - grows from the Ground

:wink:

8 Likes

Flip it on its head then genius

2 Likes

Do the Stutz and Volga correctly imply that retro bodies are ok?

3 Likes

1984 LVC LS50

Because sometimes you need to bring a supercar to a sports car fight.

Extra pics

5 Likes

omg hiiiiiiiiiiii :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

luxury car :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

very nice

omg yellow :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: wow :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

weew :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

more yelew

interior :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: he is poorly made :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

he is pink roof :open_mouth::open_mouth: wouwe qw

omg wowe :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth: now is black roof :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

group phote :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: wowe

pictures from the design room

this car was pain :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

he is big in fixture :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

ok bye :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
‎‎‎

16 Likes

Can I have one with eyelashes over the lights please :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Submission 1: 1990 Acura NSX

Submission 2: 1984 Audi Sport Quattro

Submission 3: 1989 Maserati Biturbo

Submission 4: 1987 Toyota Supra A70

Submission 5: 1974 Fiat X1/9

2 Likes

I doubt the Oklahoma DMV will accept as an excuse for no cats that they were stolen off of it in a seedy back alley somewhere…

That thing has solid Überholprestige, by the way.

Arion Aquila 8C Pursuit '70

A USDM-focused muscle car with regal and refined British underpinnings.

Shown in Racing Red w/ Dark Black bonnet/stripes & Black vinyl roof

Released in 1970 the special trim Arion Aquila 8C Pursuit is a mean muscle car with European technical advancements. Arion wanted to break into the American market strongly with their Aquila, and looked to forming relations with Canadian Motors: a much larger marque already well-known in the states to make it easier to gain a hold on the market.

Previously Arion hand-crafted their bodies, but leaning towards more mass-production, they advanced with techniques of clay-sculpting from Canadian Motors, allowing them to speed up production and reduce overhead costs on this project and future ones.

The Aquila 8C Pursuit comes with a 5 litre V8 with DOHC 4 valve per cylinder and mechanical fuel injection making it one of the most advanced engines of the time period, it produces 337hp enabling the car to reach a blistering 170mph and 0-60 time of 4.7s.

Arion didn’t cheap out on elsewhere over the car, maintaining their aero underbody, full disk brakes, hydraulic steering and advanced safety as well as the premium interior. The mass production was built by and for Americans, and sold in Canadian Motor dealerships under their name but branded as Arion.

Arion Automotive

Collaboration with @benjamintamilia

18 Likes

You’re right. The LS50 has the presence of a great white shark in a lake full of minnows.

Also, I tried out a few other ideas (most of them being front-engined, rear-drive coupes from the '90s) before settling on a mid-engined '80s supercar, with all its attendant pros and cons. Certainly it’s a lot less practical and reliable, as well as being more expensive to buy, run, and service, but its performance stats (186mph top speed, 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, 1.08g on a 200m skidpad, and a 60-0 mph braking distance of 33.3m) would have put it in the top flight back in the day, thanks to its 5-liter, all-alloy, quad-cam, 48-valve V12 developing a heady 430 horsepower and 358 lb-ft of torque. Besides, such exotic machinery is far rarer in the Heartland than it is on the West or East Coast.

Wait a minute, is the 02’ Alfa Romeo Brera S on the wall representing the one-off Geneva concept car, or the actual production version?

Or the limted-run special from 2008, which is the only version actually called the “Brera S” from what I can tell?

That specific car was built on the longitudinally-engined platform of the contemporary Maserati Coupe/4200GT and shared its F136 V8 - the actual production car had a transversely-mounted I4 or V6 driving either the front wheels, or all four in Q4 trim.