CSR 137: Life after (V8) Falcodore (Completed - Results posted)

I appreciate that. Thank-you for explaining how the names go the way you did. I copied that to my computer for future reference.

Ineligibility issues aside, I found your car to be one of the ugliest in the whole field. That would have been the other reason it wouldn’t have made the cut. And stay tuned for CSR 138 - it will eventually arrive shortly after the conclusion of this round.

I found it to be heavily min-maxed, with an old, outdated engine family (an all-iron OHV inline six with a turbo strapped to it) and styling that wouldn’t have kept the client interested in it for very long.

And regarding that cooling factor debacle:

I was referring to the engine cooling slider in the trim design section, under the aerodynamics tab. It determines how much air the engine receives for cooling - decrease it and you sacrifice reliability for top speed and fuel economy; increase it and you get the exact opposite effect.

As for @DuceTheTruth100’s ET violation:

It was the engine, not trim, ET that exceeded the limit. Even without that violation, and his failure to follow the naming scheme, it’s unlikely that it would have made it to the final round of judging either - mainly because it didn’t look good enough.

5 Likes

I honestly just ran out of time in the end, as well as I just stopped working on it and started doing other things. I’ll end up just making this car later without the competition in mind.

2 Likes

So how many entries are left factoring out the instabins?

35 or so, but I am planning on reserving no more than ten spots in the final round of judging.

9 Likes

CSR 137 Reviews Part 2: The Ones That Got Away… Or Not

Even with a large number of ineligible vehicles being struck off Tim’s wishlist, there were still plenty that met his requirements. Here is what he had to say about them:

@replaY - Jedamo Yuno GT
“This Japanese sports sedan (or should that be liftback) looks the part for sure, but I’ve heard stories of road testers complaining of excess oversteer (even with its fancy active suspension and AWD), and the infotainment system is too downmarket for a car of this type. The last thing I want is a deathtrap, and for all the tech it’s packing, this car might as well be one considering how unruly it is.” (Not considered)

@interior - Schnell M50
“It’s no looker on the outside, feels below par on the inside, and what’s this under the hood? An iron-block DOHC 32v V8 with no VVT? This is a minmax-fest, and in the real world, min-maxing won’t get you anywhere. Combined with numb electric steering, this is definitely one car I won’t be seen dead in, under any circumstances.” (not considered)

@Marcus_gt500 - SEAB Amethist SSS
“This Brazilian import is cheap, for a reason. A coil-sprung live axle (hence the rough ride), excessive brake fade (partly due to having solid rear discs), narrow all-season (medium compound) tires that don’t have enough grip, and a cast-iron engine block… At least it doesn’t look too bad, but there are shades of min-maxing, and the result is too half-baked to be competitive.” (not considered).

@Watermelon3878 - Sydney Redback Sedan Panorama Edition
“Holy smokes, this one might actually come closest to the dearly departed VF Commodore SS! Big atmo pushrod V8 up front, well-sorted ride and handling (even if the former is a touch firm), great brakes, lots of grunt, all for a relatively modest outlay… What’s not to like? OK, so its engine requires super unleaded, but considering its smooth power delivery, I can live with that. I’ll keep an eye out on this one for sure.” (Considered)

@vero94773 - Einhoff Icarus GTS
“Another V8 sedan, but this one’s turbo and AWD. It’s a comfy little thing, although it rolls around a bit in the corners, and the power delivery could be better. That said, it’s still a worthwhile proposition, especially for everyday use, and it looks the part as well. It’s closer to the top of my budget than the Redback, but I think it might be worth it.” (considered)

@donutsnail - Turból j4 SAV 6.6CS
“Phwoar! This thing has panache for days, and backs that up with an atmo V8 sending its thrust to the rear wheels. It handles well, too, which is just as well considering that it’s also close to my budget cap. The interior is also befitting of a car of this price. My only complaint is that the engine could use some long tubular headers instead of short cast items for even more power, but the rest of the car is more than good enough to compensate. In short, this is an immensely compelling package.” (considered)

@Knugcab - IP Celestia 3100 GTX
“There’s a saying in aviation that if it looks right, then it is right. Unfortunately, the Celestia doesn’t, so it isn’t. Let’s see: Excessive oversteer, a floaty ride, outdated journal bearing turbos… Even at its low price, all those problems, combined with awkward styling, mean that this car is not one I would even want to look at, let alone drive and own.” (not considered).

@Petakabras - Cabrera Boreas V8
“Even in bright yellow, this thing looks decent, but like the Yuno, this car has a chronic oversteer problem. It’s crying out for a set of better headers, but power alone won’t solve this car’s problems. At least it can accept regular unleaded, but all things considered, the Boreas is just too unruly for my tastes.” (not considered)

@HighOctaneLove - Bogliq Bloq 160ES
“Hideous. This oversized, overweight monstrosity is not only underpowered, but also lags behind the opposition in many other key aspects. Extreme body roll, an open rear diff where you’d expect an LSD, and a sat-nav system from 10 years ago instead of proper infotainment… Those are some of the problems it has, and to top it off, its sheer size makes it more difficult to drive than it should be. I wouldn’t recommend this car to anyone, ever.” (not considered).

@ImKaeR - Pegasus Type-0 GT
“Finally, a proper 2-door coupe! Problem is, it’s not as much of a looker on the outside as I’d hoped, especially in dark grey. At least it’s competitive with the others performance-wise, but it gets worse on the inside - the infotainment system is cheap and nasty, and therefore unfitting for what is ostensibly meant to be a premium product. So as it stands, the Pegasus gets the thumbs down from me.” (not considered)

@nightwave - Ibis RedTail GT8
“What on Earth is this? A half-assed copy of an American muscle car, only larger? Actually, its stats are decent enough, but in a two-door car, five seats are usually one too many - I would have preferred four. It’s got a petrol drinking habit as well, and with such haphazard exterior styling, I have to pass on this one.” (not considered)

@mart1n2005 - Dàfēng Leap 4.7TT
“What’s a Dàfēng anyway? Is it Chinese? Whatever, this is sharp-looking stuff, and it has a premium interior to match, and despite some body roll and running on medium compound tires, it still performs well. Unfortunately, the redline is a bit too close to the power peak for my liking, which blunts the engine’s sizable performance potential. I really wanted to keep this car in contention, but I sadly I can’t.” (not considered).

@theview - Huron Alberta GT
“Those cocky Canucks claim that the Alberta GT is Canada’s finest sports sedan, and it certainly looks like it. However, like the Leap, it too has an engine whose redline is too close to the power peak. Also, its sat-nav system is outdated and a poor substitute for a proper infotainment suite. The result is yet another car I liked at first glance, but regrettably had to pass on due to one or two fatal flaws.” (not considered)

@66mazda and @Vena.Sera423 - RCN Pursuit DB
“Seriously, just look at this thing!” I could imagine myself rocking up to Summernats in one of these and not feel out of place. This is a proper old-school muscle car under the hood - rear-drive, 6-speed manual 'box, big atmo pushrod V8 - and yet it still feels great on the inside, to the point that it would make a great everyday proposition (although the ride could be a wee bit softer). In short, this is a very well-rounded proposition - one that’s too tempting to pass up." (considered)

@Boiled_Steak - Aria Bulldog GTX
“Wow! This is an absolute stunner, especially in bright yellow, and from what I’ve heard, it drives just as good as it looks. However, I would prefer some stickier rubber instead of all-season medium compound tires, but that is pretty much my only complaint about it. The only way for me to be sure about the Bulldog is to give it a test drive. (considered)”

@EnCR - Avantii Panthera
“On the outside, the Panthera looks like a boy racer’s dream, which satisfies the teenager in me. However, its road manners are quite unruly - road testers complained of excessive oversteer (probably due to the rear tires not being wide enough relative to the fronts) and a wonky aero balance that makes more downforce at the front than in the back. And why does it have a removable targa top when a fixed roof would be more appropriate? It only adds weight, as does the third rear seat, and so I am not taking this bright orange mess.” (not considered)

@Texaslav - Arlington Bearcat SR
“Not too sure about the styling, and the body and paint quality appears substandard. At least it performs well enough… Hold on, why on Earth does it have an obsolete satnav system that was state-of-the-art… A decade ago??? Using outdated technology isn’t going to do you any favours in this cutthroat market sector, which is why there is sadly no place for this car on my wishlist.” (not considered)

@Aruna and @kookie - Arion Shoebill 545TI
“Those Pommy boffins at Arion know how to make a good-looking car, and the Shoebill is no exception. There does not seem to be much wrong with it on the inside either (especially in terms of build quality). Performance-wise, this car more than lives up to expectations, not just in a straight line but also in the corners, despite only having all-season tires. It could be a bit more comfortable, but it’s still a formidable force to be reckoned with.” (considered)

@HelloHi - Voodoo Caldera 1100
“As its name suggests, the Caldera has - wait for it - 1100 horsepower. The reality of having this much grunt is far worse than the idea, though, especially with a power peak that sits on the redline, and the overly wide gears don’t help much either. In fact, I’m not sure if I can cope with that much power on a daily basis, so this one’s out.” (not considered)

@AndiD - Mara Kavaler AMM Performance M
“It looks awful (not very period-accurate either), drives awful (redline on power peak, cheap, weak cast internals) and feels awful (basic infotainment in what is meant to be a premium car? Seriously, what were they thinking?). There’s no way anyone should ever want to aspire to even driving one of these, let alone owning one - no wonder I don’t want it.” (not considered)

@Aaron.W - Tanaka Crezta 5.0S
“This car is a much better-looking proposition than the previous one, and so much better to drive. Its ride and handling are skewed a bit more towards comfort than most of its rivals, but it should still hold its own during the test drive - which is why I’m planning one later on, especially since it has the power to match its looks.” (considered)

@HybridTronny - Steurmann 550R
“It looks like a German super sedan should, so with an atmo V10 under its hood, it ought to drive like one, right? Well, not in this case - there’s too much oversteer, and the level of body roll is at odds with the taut ride. I wouldn’t bother with this one, which is a huge shame, given how good it looks on the outside.” (not considered)

@Urke101 and @Tzuyu_main - Fukorami Imper KHO V8
“This is very much like the Crezta in that it’s a Far Eastern sports sedan that can hang with the best Western equivalents. Unlike the Crezta, however, its ride and handling balance is biased more towards sportiness. It’s actually a tad stiff for rough tarmac, but even so, it still measures up to the opposition in terms of performance - so I could fancy a spin in one of these.” (considered)

@karhgath - Regal BES V8 Octane
“I’m not too keen on the looks of this one, but it should still be better to drive nonetheless. There is, however, one thing that bugs me: Why fit solid, rather than vented, rear disc brakes on a high-performance car? It makes fade much more likely, and even though Regal have kept this to a minimum, I wouldn’t take the chance - I could also find better-looking cars in this class for similar money.” (not considered)

@Falling_Comet and @variationofvariables - Sendo Palire GT
“The Palire is rolling proof that Sendo has been one of the best manufacturers of grand tourers for the past three decades. It looks ace, and drives ace, even with all-season tires and an automatic gearbox. I’m definitely keeping the pretty Palire on my shortlist, for now.” (considered)

@jvs1rox - Slinger Clarkson R
“Apart from the metallic blue paint job, this thing simply does not look right. At all. It’s definitely not something I would want to stare at, even from a mile away. The low-rent infotainment system doesn’t help, either, and there are even reports of owners experiencing con-rod failures due to the redline being set too high. All in all, this car is not worth my time.” (not considered)

@chichicoofisial - Domingo AUBRS
“Another car with boy-racer-ish styling, but the dull gray paintwork seems out of place for such an extroverted machine. The wheel arch extensions seem cartoonishly exaggerated to me, but that’s not its only problem. The real deal-breaker is an AWD system that, for some odd reason, is front-biased, not rear-biased. It makes it feel like a front-driver, and since I don’t want that, it also gets a thumbs down from me.” (not considered)

@S31 - MAHG Sigma Rapide
“What on Earth is this thing? It’s like the rear end of a Peugeot 508 was somehow mated to the nose of a Lexus RX, which is jarring to say the least, and the redline sits on the power peak (the mid-range torque hole and weak, cheap cast internals don’t help either). It’s so odd, I don’t want to talk very much about it again.” (not considered)

@Mikonp7 - Deer and Hunt Goonie RoadSport Sedan
“I’m struggling to find good things to say about it. The torque curve is all wrong, the styling is off-putting, the tires are too narrow and don’t offer enough grip, and it’s way off the mark stats-wise. No wonder I won’t give this car a second look - or thought for that matter.” (not considered)

@Tsundere-kun - Yamaguchi FC6
“Another one of those striking Far Eastern designs… Wait, this one has two doors, not four! It corners like a dream, despite having all-season tires, and it’s a dream to live with. Unfortunately, with a redline way too close to the power peak, I must regrettably pass on this concept car made real in favor of something else.” (not considered)

@Quneitra - Munot SM85 Meteor
“This Swiss beast has plenty of presence on the road, and has the power and handling to match. Unfortunately, the power peak sits on the redline - a symptom of an overly aggressive cam profile combined with a very undersquare engine. This limits its potential so much that I won’t give it a second look.” (not considered)

@Arn38fr - LACAM Ornon 570LMR
“It’s a delightful-looking French thing, and LACAM claims it’s even better to drive than I thought it would be. Build quality is only average, however, and the redline, while not exactly on the power peak, is still too close to it for my liking. Also, the engine is outdated and in need of a major refresh. In the end, it’s a case of close, but no cigar for this one.” (not considered)

Side note: I almost forgot about @Arn38fr’s entry, and only now do I realize that its variant year was not set to 2018 as per the rules. So that makes a total of 19 instabins.

@RAZR - Manda Fantom GTS
“A relatively clean, simple design on the outside, but the promising driving experience is ultimately undone by excessive brake fade and body roll. Also, a cast-iron engine block is considered min-maxing in this day and age, and adds too much weight in a high-performance application such as this one. No wonder I’m passing this one up.” (not considered)

@mcp928 and @mat1476 - Hanno S400 R-Spec
“This is a looker for sure… Hold on a second? This has a luxury interior? It’s actually too plush for my tastes. Also, the safety is a bit sub-standard, and the engine is underpowered in this company. I won’t be taking a look at this one again, especially with its weird suspension tune.” (not considered)

OOC: @mcp928 and @mat1476’s car was another instabin that I missed, so that makes 20 in total.

@Xepy - Kaufmann Gestalt R-Sport
“On the outside, the Gestalt is a drool-worthy vehicle worthy of a bedroom wall poster. On the inside, however, it’s a different story: although it has a premium interior befitting its price, the infotainment system is barely any better than what a small family hatchback has. There are also concerns about substandard safety equipment, and these are faults that its excellent performance can’t fully negate, so unfortunately, the Gestalt barely misses the cut.” (not considered)

@hipiracing - Amalia Ardey Limousine P-Line UVTDA
“It’s a mouthful of a name, for sure, but it doesn’t seem like I could go far wrong with one of these. Body roll is a bit on the high side, but otherwise, performance and handling are more than sufficiently competitive with the class leaders, and it has the plush interior to match its striking looks - this is definitely a contender.” (considered)

@vouge - Tevian Telambra TR
“Another one of those cars that turns out to be just another pretty face upon closer inspection. It looks great from every angle, but the overly close gearing leads to excessive wheelspin, leading to a lot of wasted power. Speaking of which, the redline is once again uncomfortably close to the power peak, which means that this handsome contender ultimately falls short.” (not considered)

@Kyorg - Tiburon Torino
“With an exterior that reminds me of a big, fat, bright red pig, I’m definitely going to be sneered at if I buy one of these. Also, low-friction cast pistons mixed with forged crank and conrods is a bad idea. Overall, this is simply too ugly and underdone for me - or anyone with any sense of taste, for that matter.” (not considered)

Congratulations to @Watermelon3878, @vero94773, @donutsnail, @66mazda and @Vena.Sera423, @Boiled_Steak, @Aruna and @kookie, @Falling_Comet and @variationofvariables, @Aaron.W, @Urke101 and @Tzuyu_main, and @hipiracing for making it to the final stage of CSR 137!

Expect a winner to be crowned shortly.

21 Likes

That was a good one. Surely min-maxing wont get you anywhere but i kind of forced it to go into the limitations. Knew i was gonna get binned. I Hope everyone on the final stage gets a nice description

Abg:
“imma trim it down to no more than 10 cars”

also Abg:
has 14 cars in the finals

3 Likes

hi
Four of them were collabs

2 Likes

my car wasnt oversteering?

2 Likes

Good titles for the top 10
This is going to be a good fight indeed.

2 Likes

ermmm

whoops

3 Likes

I modified the engine the day before and I forgot to set engine to 2018… :scream:

Very fair binning ngl, what specifically was wrong with the design, I tried to make the back look Quattroporte-esque and went for something new-BMW/Audi-like in the front. Feedback would be very helpful. I’ll keep in mind to keep the conrod pressure down to 0 in the future. I figured 6 would be acceptable haha

AEugh, I really should have picked infotainment. I would have have price and ET to spare, too. Welp, best of luck to those considered and see you in 138 ig

Ah damn, well I’m glad at least the rest of the car was solid. Good luck to the finalists!

I’m not surprised… I suck at both designing and engineering anything post 2006-ish… :rofl:

Same

When I looked at your entry, I found it to be a mess, as if it had been hit by a shotgun filled with random fixtures. That alone would have been grounds for the client to pass it up.

And regarding the interior/infotainment mismatches that caused a lot of bins: For ~$60k AMU, you’d expect a car of the era, size and class this round is themed around to have both a premium interior and infotainment system. Also, a simple sat-nav system won’t cut it in this day and age; it does not have the more advanced functionality of a true infotainment suite.

As for what I called “chronic oversteer syndrome”: If a car tends to oversteer, then it’s because the front tires have more grip than the rear tires. You can reduce oversteer by:

• Fitting wider rear tires and/or narrower front tires
  • Increasing rear camber angle and/or decreasing front camber angle
  • Increasing rear downforce and/or reducing front downforce
  • Installing a stiffer sway bar at the front than at the rear

Be warned, though, that the first two of these methods will increase service costs, so use them in moderation.

3 Likes

If I may butt in: If anybody is using the suspension presets (The Normal and Sports in particular) they will have a serious amount of negative camber on both axles, that is, unless they are solid axles. So working with camber, and even tuning it towards understeer, may in fact reduce suspension service costs; If I remember correctly the -0.3 to 0.3 range on either axle comes with no penalty.

4 Likes