CSR 137: Life after (V8) Falcodore (Completed - Results posted)

Regarding the issue of peak power being on (or too close to) the redline, this bit of advice from CSR 123 should prove useful:

In addition, what “redesign your engine” meant was “Don’t make the engine stroke too long for the type of internals you wish to use”.

4 Likes

Small request, but can you add images to your judging? It really helps us to know what car is being referred to

6 Likes

He’s going to for the finals, I think. 35ish reviews all with images would take up a lot of space.

2 Likes

not if you just copy paste images that were already posted here

That’s exactly what I was planning. I even took a photo showing all 10 finalists at once.

As a side note, almost all of the entries I received had over 400 horsepower (with many having over 500), and given that the FG X XR8 and VF Series II SS also had >400 bhp, that’s where I drew the line - anything less powerful would have most likely struggled to stay competitive.

5 Likes

yes do this please I only have so much brain to work with

Going for cast iron block and head just to be able to colour it bit me in the ass. Well, had a good run nevertheless. GGs to the ones who made it.

A cast-iron block and/or heads don’t just add weight, they also increase emissions. They may be cheaper, for sure, and the former can even be recolored, but they become less useful in later years, as alloy equivalents become more reliable.

1 Like

Who needs VVT when you got VVL

I feel like this is a nod to my exactly 400.2hp motor lmao; 5.6 might not have been enough displacement

3 Likes

6.2 LS3 in the Commodore SSV Redline made around 406 hp. In the Corvettes they made around 426.

2 Likes

To clarify, they are not one and the same: VVL (variable valve lift) allows you to set two different cam profiles (one for low RPM and one for high RPM, with the former setting being the lower of the two), while VVT (variable valve timing) constantly adjusts the valve opening and closing intervals for improved power and efficiency. In 2018, VVT is virtually a must-have (even OHV engines can have it) given its benefits, although VVL (on 2v and 4v SOHC/DOHC engines) is optional.

1 Like

As said, I only did it for the colouring of the block. No wonder my emission scoring is so high, compared to some builds in the challenge. Thanks for the advice.
I could have gone with other block types and still fit the budget but it is what it is. Good challenge, great experience for me once again.

Since we are discussing details, I am curious what classifies the Hanno suspension as weird? Was it the sway bar delete, or something about the alignment?

Also, you guys seem to like my hybrid car inspiration (or at least the joke), the S400 was the Lexus ATS-V.

3 Likes

The weird bit about the Hanno’s suspension was that the front spring rates were much stiffer than those at the rear, which causes understeer. Even so, the steering graph below somehow shows a bias towards oversteer - something that is never desirable or advisable even in high-performance cars such as this.

It’s deceptive in this case because an oversteer bias won’t appear as a suggestion or warning until the sportiness drops below 99.5%.

1 Like

rwd moment

Why exactly? Now I feel confused about that graph… I thought that mild oversteer tendency was sth that would feel more exciting - of course within the limits of being controllable.

3 Likes

Interesting, probably an artifact of the engine and weight affecting the overall distribution. I don’t focus too much on the actual rates, just the damping rates. I appreciate the feedback, getting that perfect steering rate in a RWD is still fairly illusive for me. Especially when coupled with higher power, I generally just accept slight oversteer like this has.

2 Likes

would it be ok if i posted a car that i designed to fit the rules of this challenge but not necessarily for judging?

CSR 137 Reviews, Part 3: Top 10 Shootout

19CB0A4842814EBEB96D0B24EB195714

Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit, September 2018

Having made up his mind about a shortlist of 10 cars that fulfilled his wishes, Tim drove all the way from Brisbane to Bathurst in his dual-cab ute. When he arrived at the circuit, he was surprised to find out that it had been reserved specifically for him, for the purpose of test driving all 10 cars from Tim’s shortlist. As he made his way to the paddock, his jaw hit the floor.

There are just 10 cars in the shortlist… Which one is Tim going to buy?

“Strewth!” he exclaimed as he came upon one example each of all 10 cars on his shortlist. “The muscle sedan hasn’t died out, it’s gone overseas!” It was early in the morning, so he decided to get on with the test drives immediately… by trying out each car on some nearby back roads before doing a single flying lap from a standing start. After several hours of testing on road and track, his verdicts on each of the cars were as follows:

@Watermelon3878 - Sydney Redback Sedan Panorama Edition
Lap time: 2 minutes 31.49 seconds

“In true Aussie style, the Redback is built like a bank vault, especially on the inside, but it drives like a proper sports car weighing a half-ton less. Despite being the least powerful car here, it feels like a real living, breathing animal on track, mainly due to how its mechanicals were set up, but the trade-off is a rough ride, a very loud exhaust note and an unquenchable thirst for 98 RON super unleaded. It still appeals to the teenaged hoon in me, though, but as it is, I’m not sure if I could countenance its compromises on a daily basis, especially with a wife and two kids on board.”

After some deliberation, Tim decides the Redback isn’t for him. It’s simply too hard-edged for use as a daily driver, is the most expensive top-10 car to service and drinks super unleaded. It was a lot of fun to drive, though, especially on track, and is the second cheapest of the top 10 entries, as well as being the second most reliable.

@vero94773 - Einhoff Icarus GTS
Lap time: 2 minutes 31.9 seconds

“This is the first turbo car of the bunch, and also the first one with AWD. It’s got a dual-clutch 'box instead of a manual, but don’t let that fool you; it’s just as much fun as the Redback, and a better everyday proposition overall thanks to its more comfortable ride and plush interior. Unfortunately, the Icarus exhibits significant body roll under hard cornering, and it isn’t the most reliable car of its kind by a long shot either. Also, the weird torque curve is not exactly to my liking - maybe the turbo tune is to blame. I really wanted to like this car more, but as it stands, there are better choices.”

The Icarus GTS doesn’t make the cut either. Excessive body roll and an inconsistent torque curve condemn it to also-ran status; the fact that it’s the heaviest and most expensive car here doesn’t help. It is, however, one of the most comfortable cars here, and is not only the safest, but also the most practical of the top 10 entries.

@donutsnail - Turból j4 SAV 6.6 CS
Lap time: 2 minutes 27.06 seconds

“Incredible! This American muscle sedan is rolling proof that four-door supercars really do exist. The suspension tune, active aero, brakes, engine and gearing leave me in no doubt that this is a seriously focused machine. This makes it an absolute beast on track, and yet surprisingly, it also works very well on the road. I would have liked a set of freer-flowing exhaust headers, but it’s not an absolute must, given that it’s already fast enough from the factory. The interior is nice, though not as good as the Redback or Icarus. Overall, this is an awe-inspiring machine - I’ll go back to it later.”

The j4 SAV makes the cut with ease.

@Vena.Sera423 and @66mazda - RCN Pursuit DB AUDM
Lap time: 2 minutes 35.22 seconds

“Just because the Pursuit is the slowest car around the Mountain doesn’t mean it’s the worst - far from it, in fact. The rest of the car is so well-sorted that it’s almost as much fun as the Redback, but it’s a better choice for the daily grind thanks to a supple ride. The smooth power delivery, especially in the mid-range, makes it feel more manageable when you put your foot down. It also runs the Redback close in terms of reliability, which should give me more peace of mind if I were to end up owning one. In short, the Pursuit is another candidate for street-legal King of the Mountain.”

The RCN Pursuit DB also makes the cut.

@Boiled_Steak - Aria Bulldog GTX
Lap time: 2 minutes 30.44 seconds

“As the only two-door coupe in the Top 10 shootout, and consequently the least practical car as well, the Bulldog had better live up to its name and styling with a superior driving experience - and it certainly delivers. Despite only having medium compound tires, and less than 500 horsepower it ended up being the third-fastest car around the track, although it was the most challenging to drive. It also lacks some of the more advanced safety features found on some of the other cars, but then again, you buy a coupe over a sedan with your heart, not your head - so this one stays, for now.”

After a brief period of hesitation, the Aria Bulldog GTX also makes the cut.

@Aruna and @kookie - Arion Shoebill 545TI
Lap time: 2 minutes 31.19 seconds

“As the only British car in the top 10 (and one of only a few Europeans here), the Shoebill delivers a classy feel that’s unlike most of the other cars here. Like the Aria, it also runs on all-season tires, but the Shoebill makes good use of them thanks to artful suspension tuning on behalf of Arion’s engineers - they know how to make its air suspension a worthwhile fitment. Individual throttle bodies for the engine, combined with lightweight carbon-shelled front seats, make it feel very much the driver’s car that it is. The payoff is a somewhat firm ride, but otherwise, this is a true contender.”

The Arion Shoebill makes the cut despite objections from Tim’s wife - which he soon overrules.

@Aaron.W - Tanaka Crezta 5.0S
Lap time: 2 minutes 33.94 seconds

“Tanaka have a reputation as Japan’s premier car manufacturer, and on first impressions, the Crezta goes a long way to upholding it. As on the Arion, carbon-shelled bucket seats lend it a sporty air that somehow meshes with the premium positioning of the Crezta range as a whole. It may lean more towards comfort than sportiness, what with its narrow tires and soft suspension, but that doesn’t mean it’s a dull drive. In the real world, it won my head over with a comfortable ride, even on rough surfaces. Sadly, in erring too much on the side of civility, the Crezta just falls short.”

After a brief period of deliberation, the Crezta does not make the cut. With its soft suspension, it’s actually too comfort-oriented, despite what the sporty interior suggests, and as it turns out, the Crezta could use even more power: a longer stroke, combined with stronger internals, would have put it closer to the front of the pack.

@Falling_Comet and @variationofvariables - Sendo Palire GT
Lap time: 2 minutes 33.94 seconds

“One look at the Palire GT leaves you in no doubt that it lives up to its billing as a four-door grand tourer. Despite coming with all-season tires and a long-geared 8-speed automatic gearbox as standard, the Palire is also sportier than you think - with normal aspiration and individual throttle bodies for each cylinder, it feels livelier than many of the other cars here. The brakes are very strong; in fact, they may be overkill except for track work. It’s also the most comfortable car here, but it trails the pack in safety and reliability. Nevertheless, the Palire GT manages to hold its own.”

Tim is torn about whether or not to put the Palire GT through, but he eventually decides not to do so. The various sporty touches on the inside are at odds with its torque-converter automatic gearbox, and it also has the lowest safety and reliability ratings of the top 10 cars. However, it has the highest comfort and drivability ratings among them, and is also cheap to service.

@Urke101 and @Tzuyu_main - Fukorami Imper KHO V8
Lap time: 2 minutes 33.54 seconds

“Compared to the previous two cars, the Imper has a more overtly sporting demeanor, although the exterior styling doesn’t really suggest that. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, though, and the Imper drives like a sports sedan should. Everything has been engineered to provide a thrilling driving experience; even so, I have some reservations. Considering its mild state of tune, the engine receives more cooling area than is necessary, and the torque curve falls away near the top end. Nevertheless, the Imper is a competent entry, just not a leading one.”

The Imper misses out, but only just. Excessive engine cooling is actually detrimental, since it reduces fuel economy and top speed without significant reliability benefit, and there is little space between the power peak and the redline. The Imper mostly got away with it, though, thanks to its dynamic prowess. Others were still better in that regard, though, and so the Imper just fell short.

@hipiracing - Amalia Ardey Limousine P-Line UVTDA
Lap time: 2 minutes 29.79 seconds

“This is the last car in the Top 10 shootout, and one of only two to have AWD, the other being the Icarus. Don’t let its smaller size fool you, though; it’s not lacking in power, and is just as much fun as the bigger cars. It’s also the second-fastest car around the mountain. However, it exhibits more understeer than any of them, and I’m not sure if my family can cope with having a smaller car relative to the opposition. Then again, a smaller car takes up less space, making it easier to place on the road. I never thought I would be considering an AWD car, but this one barely squeaks in.”

The Amalia Ardey makes the cut, after a fashion.

Decision Time

Of the 10 cars that had qualified for the top 10 shootout, only five remained. After a heated discussion with his wife and children that lasted until 3:00 pm in the afternoon, Tim eventually agreed to the following finishing order:

• 5th: The Amalia Ardey barely squeaks into the top 5 by virtue of being the only AWD entry to challenge the RWD big boys in terms of lap times. However, it had a few minor shortcomings (such as pronounced body roll) that kept it from threatening the podium.

• 4th: The Aria Bulldog GTX just misses out on a podium spot. As the only two-door car in the top 10, it managed to stay competitive in terms of dynamics, but had the lowest practicality and drivability scores of all the finalists.

• 3rd: The Arion Shoebill 545TI claims the bronze medal on account of having one of the best (if not the best) exterior designs of the lot. However, its suspension is a tad firm, and considering its straight-line pace, it deserves proper high-performance rubber, service costs be damned.

• 2nd: The RCN Pursuit DB earns a well-deserved second place by being the closest thing to a spiritual successor to the VF Commodore SS, even more so than the Redback. It is the cheapest car to buy and maintain; however, it ranked last for comfort and its lap time was the slowest out of all 10 finalists.

• 1st: With its outstanding performance, panache-filled styling, and lack of major deficiencies in any other key areas, the Turból j4 SAV 6.6 CS takes the top spot, to absolutely nobody’s surprise. The fact that it was the only car in the top 10 to accept regular unleaded petrol only sweetened the deal. Given the fact that it was the second most expensive car here, the j4 had to justify its pricing with an excellent all-around showing - and it did so easily.

Epilogue

With his mind made up, he decided to make a call to the closest Turból dealership to his house, to see if they had any examples of the j4 SAV 6.6 in stock. As expected, they had several - Tim ordered his in Orion Blue with a six-speed manual gearbox, just as he’d promised. The next day, he drove back to Brisbane with his family in tow to collect his new car… and the rest is history. Besides, if he wanted even more performance, he could always turn to the aftermarket and source a set of suitable parts to fulfill his desires. He still owns the j4 to this day, and he and his family most definitely couldn’t be any happier about it.

Here’s one last shot Tim driving off into the sunset in his brand-new Turból j4 SAV 6.6 CS, knowing that this is a car he will remember for the rest of his life - for all the right reasons.

Congratulations to donutsnail for winning CSR 137!

As for the other finalists, the finishing order is as follows:

2nd: Vena.Sera423 and 66mazda
3rd: Aruna
4th: Boiled_Steak
5th: hipiracing
6th: Falling_Comet and variationofvariables
7th: Watermelon3878
8th: Urke1010 and Tzuyu_Main
9th: Aaron.W
10th: vero94773

Many thanks to all who participated for making this CSR as fun as it was, and also for providing some helpful feedback that made my rule set more viable. I hope you all enjoyed it, and I certainly did as well.

19 Likes