CSR 139- Luxury, Uncompromised (Completed, Winner Announced!)

My thoughts on this set of eliminations:

In a hypercar such immense power would be strongly recommended, but in a GT? Not so much.

With service costs as a priority in this round (though not as much as, say, sportiness), fitting carbon ceramic brakes on either axle (or even worse, both) is tantamount to financial suicide:

I found a workaround by using cast-iron vented discs of a sufficiently large diameter and with enough pistons per caliper to provide the desired amount of braking force. On top of that, I set the brake cooling level to just the right amount to avoid excessive (or better still, any) sportiness fade. However, I still wish that carbon ceramic brakes would be buffed in the next update so they don’t increase service costs (compared to equivalent cast-iron vented discs) as much as they do now.

In AWD cars with transversely mounted engines, it often makes sense to skew the power distribution to the front for stability. With a longitudinally mounted engine, however, this is not ideal, since it often compromises traction and thereby wastes power.

In the 90s and 00s, there were quite a few real-life engines with 5v DOHC heads, but there haven’t been any since 2006, so it makes sense to eliminate any and all entries so equipped. Another disadvantage of 5v setups is that you cannot combine them with VVL if you want to use the latter.

Quite right. Cast internals simply can’t withstand as much torque (or as many revs, for that matter) as an equivalent forged or CNC-milled item.

For reference, here is an example of an engine (a 3.0L I6) with a low-pressure turbo (0.5 bar of boost):

Not a lot of lag, and hence more comfort and drivability, but not as much power for its displacement. It is more effficient, though, and has a wide power band.

And for comparison’s sake, here is the same engine with a high-pressure turbo setup (1.6 bar):

As I have previously stated, a high-pressure turbo yields more power for a given displacement, but also more lag - in this case a whole 1300 rpm later - and with a stronger kick, thereby reducing comfort, drivability and efficiency. The power band is also narrower.

I have to agree on this one - all other things being equal, a 60-degree V8 is less smooth than one with a 90-degree bank angle, and also has a higher center of gravity. However, it does not take up as much horizontal space.

That leaves just 18 cars for David to choose from - even after separating the duds from the good 'uns, he may have his work cut out for him, but I’m sure he’ll make the right choice eventually.

I think the problem is with the way that turbos work in Automation in general, it’s basically 80s turbo technology. The only way you’re gonna get a turbo engine that’s not “laggy” (aka kicks in anywhere near 2000RPM or earlier like real life cars) is to either go really high displacement for the amount of cylinders you’ve got, or run a very low boost setup. Both of these methods work but aren’t very realistic. Twin-scroll turbos, Variable Geometry turbos or the option to have one small and one large turbo on the same engine would be nice additions to the game, but I don’t know if they’ll ever be added.

4 Likes

I still managed to push 653hp from the 5.2L V10 TT with a boost of less than half the BMW M8’s engine produces (mine being 8.38psi compared to 17psi+) but if low boost is min maxing it can’t be helped and I will remember for next time.

4 Likes

Ah, i knew some of my cost conscious choices would have come back to haunt me. To fit all i had to fit in the car for the price point, i had to make some sacrifices.

Viscous diffs might be strange at first, but they work pretty well in AWD systems, and at 550 hp, a more expensive geared system was simply overkill. Same for the cast crank, both hp and torque aren’t exactly stellar. It’s an unusual choice, i totally agree, and i can see why it turned David down.

I’m happy with making It this far on my first CSR, was a fun run! Thanks for hosting it!

2 Likes

Warning - turned out a bit long.

Mmmkay, barren rear… Yeah, maybe somewhat. Not enough for my sometimes minimalistic taste to notice in… a year, I’ve had this car mostly done? I hoped that the design would save me, but oh well. And errant vents do line up at one point, and were meant to be more interesting than a single gaping hole :wink:

As for the engineering… I should’ve left the carbon ceramics untouched :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The engine, you might be surprised, is a victim of… my realism - it’s a 60° because it’s a part of a modular family of V6s, V8s and V12s (and hey, there was the Volvo-Yamaha V8), and the laggy turbo is the only way before the revamp to get realistic numbers in modern performance turbo engines - and I always care more for those than those terrible curves, as they affect the whole car far more. While I get why you eliminated both laggy high pressure turbos and unrealistic low pressure ones, I feel like by that you’ve put the turbo engines at a serious disadvantage, as we had to hit that - I guess - narrow spot of low lag with high pressure (basically an I6 or a V12). And in 2020 turbos are almost everywhere. 14 cars had some issue with the turbo as one of the elimination factors, of the 51 entries that weren’t binned right away and of… how many turbos in total? I know that turbo tuning isn’t easy but that seems like a bit too much focus IMO. And no, at this point it’s not my car’s defence, as the only way that turbo could be accepted is my way - to ignore half of the curve, which is unlikely in a challenge :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Your design as a whole was really rather well done, most of my major complaints were more nitpicks than anything else.

As for engineering, I question the 60* V8 because it’s just not done in 2020. Even then, it put you at a bit of a disadvantage, as 60* V8s are inherently less balanced than a 90* V8 and therefore aren’t as smooth, which affects comfort. But alas, it’s your lore, which outside of a competition I’m in no place to question. As for turbos, yeah, I was maybe a bit too picky in terms of lag upon retrospect. That said, plenty of turbocharged cars moved into the semifinals, and had what I would consider “good for Automation” levels of lag. I do get what you were going for in terms of your turbo tuning, however it just didn’t translate well.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know it’s less smooth, but still better than a V6, so that’s why I accept it. Also it’s one of those details that I consider minor enough to be realistic even when not currently done IRL. Or like B6 in the front - no brand does it currently, but it has been done and there could be reasons for that. But I admit, it’s a quirk that I like for the sake of being quirky.

2 Likes

To be totally fair, judging turbo set ups on automation tech is a bit of a nightmare. Current turbos in Automation are also very limiting for lower displacement units in terms of lag.

I think the judgment could have been more liberal (having a 3.5/4k turbo spool in a 10k max rev engine Is not as detrimental as in a 7.5k max rev car), but it’s not as wrong to set the bar lower, especially if the car might be used in cities or trafficked roads on the regular.

That said, going bigger than 5.5 liters and slapping turbos on the engine is a little cheesy under the current system imho, so i’m rooting for any N/A or small-ish turbocharged competitor left in the field

4 Likes

Agreed. That’s why so many cars got binned for having too much lag, or too little boost.

In cheaper, less powerful cars, a viscous LSD may actually be a good idea, but I reckon 550 horsepower is too much for a viscous diff to cope with (even with AWD), and in this day and age, an electric LSD is preferable if you can afford to use it. Besides, cast internals are not strong enough for use in engines with such high power outputs.

I might agree on the VLSD (even tought i personally think is doable for it to cope with high power loads in AWD, but it’s still not efficient), and even tought electric LSD was way out of the final price i wanted, i would have done better to settle on geared as minimum.

I’m not so convinced on the cast crank. There are small blocks out there doing 500+ hp on cast cranks, and doing 550 with a 4.0 liter on an automatic is definitively doable, especially as torque isn’t even that high. Then again, i totally understand why that would turn a potential buyer off, and i agree with the judgment on that. After all in those market segments even the tinyest detail makes the difference, let alone a pretty big one like the crank construction.

2 Likes

CSR 139- Part 3- Semifinals

aaron

Auxio SV450- @Aaron.W
First up out of David’s “top contenders” list is the Auxio SV450. David liked the sharp, modern design, and upon reading some reviews and owner forums, found that the Auxio is well balanced, with a sporty but still compliant suspension setup, and is fairly well built. Seeing no reason to cross it off his list, he reserves a test drive.
(End result- moves to finals. The Auxio has a fairly handsome design, and is very well tuned, hitting good marks in some of the most important areas. Well done.)

yurimacs

RetroniX Velos GT- @yurimacs
Next on David’s list is the Velos GT. Taken with it’s modern, shaped design David liked it. However, he didn’t feel the rear was as strong as the front. After reading up on the Velos, he found that it wasn’t as sporty as it’s rivals, and wasn’t as solidly built as some of them either.
(End result- eliminated. The low sportiness really killed your chances here, and it feels like you focused too much on comfort, to a point that it was detrimental. So despite the high stats in every other department, it fell a little flat. That said, design was solid besides the somewhat underdone rear. Strong showing, nevertheless.)

tsundere

Cascina Glicine GTB- @Tsundere-kun
Next up on David’s list was the Glicine GTB, a very modern and well-designed GT. After doing some research, he found that it was equally sporty and comfortable, without trading in it’s compliant demeanor. It was also well priced too, something else he was a fan of. Seeing no reason to cross it off either, he reserves a test drive.
(End result- moves to finals. Very well designed and well tuned, while being an excellent value option. Very strong showing.)

ezdmn

Mondo E2 Altair- @Ezdmn
Next up was the E2 Altair, another exceptionally well design GT, with David being especially taken with the rear. Owner reports also had glowing things to say about the car, saying it an exceptionally easy to drive car, while still maintaining a sporty character. The only downsides reported is that it’s not as solidly built as some of it’s competitors, and that it’s somewhat expensive to service. Despite that, David’s interested and reserves a test drive.
(End result- moves to finals. Overall, the Altair was solid. Top tier tuning, top tier design. The only things that are a bit questionable is the slightly lower reliability and higher service costs, but it more than makes up for it. Well done.)

Turból Verux V12- @donutsnail/@Lazar
Next on David’s list is the Verux V12, with a sharp exterior design that draws David’s eye. Upon reading some reviews, he also found that it’s very easy to drive, quite sporty, and feels more prestigious than some of the other cars on his list. Intrigued, David books a test drive.
(End result- moves to finals. It’s exceptionally well designed, and hits some exceptionally high marks in key areas. Very, very well done.)

cherry

Avory Anno Ispirato “Coach”- @On3CherryShake
Next on David’s list is the Anno Ispirato. David liked the design for the most part, but felt that the headlights were a tiny bit disconnected from the rest of the front design. After reading some reviews, he found that the Anno wasn’t the sportiest, and had well below average safety compared to some of it’s competition. Disappointed, David crosses it off of his list.
(End result- eliminated. Overall it was solid, though the low sportiness and second lowest safety did you in, not to mention average stats elsewhere. That said, the design was pretty solid, though the headlights were a bit disconnected in the front in my opinion. Strong showing.)

Sendo GT-Sport- @SpeedyBoi/@Falling_Comet/@Urke101/@variationofvariables
Next on David’s list was the Sendo GT-Sport, a handsome looking thing, with sleek headlights wrapping into the body work, and a muscular but classical appearance David appreciated. After reading up on the GT-Sport, he found that it was easy to drive, comfortable, but maybe a bit less sporty than he would have liked, but it more than made up for it elsewhere. Intrigued, he scheduled a test drive.
(End result- moves to finals. All around, another really solid entry. It hits high marks in many of the most important areas, albeit it’s a bit less sporty than some of the other cars here, but as I said it makes up for it. The design was also very well done in my opinion, with the sweeping DRLs and aggressive shaping being high points. Extremely strong showing.)

also y'all need to go outside more often

steak

Grifone Corricella S+ - @Boiled_Steak
Next up was the Corricella S+. David liked the design, with an aggressive but simple front end, and equally nice rear. After reading some reviews, he found that the Corricella wasn’t the most comfortable, and was very average in comparison to other cars in its segment. Disinterested, David closed the page.
(End result- eliminated. While the design was good, you had the second lowest comfort out of all of the semifinalists, and rather average stats, with only a minor advantage over some cars in prestige. Not a bad showing though.)

portalkat

Aether Renarde GTS- @Portalkat42
Next was the Renarde GTS. David liked it’s bulkier and sweeping design, and thought the rear end was a particular high point. After reading up on the Renarde GTS, he found that it was a bit too expensive for what it offered in comparison to the competition, and was quite expensive to service in comparison to other cars in it’s segment. Unfortunately, David didn’t see much reason to keep it on his list.
(End result- eliminated. Not a bad car overall, but average comfort, prestige and safety did you in, as did the highest service costs out of all the semifinalists. I also thought it was quite expensive for what it offered, and for those reasons it’s out. Good showing though.)

delter

Seikatsu GR50 HF8 G-Tune- @Tzuyu_main/@chiefzach2018
Next up on David’s list was the Seikatsu GR50. He liked the muscular and sporty design, though he found the rear a bit simple. After reading some owner reports, David found that the GR50 was exceptionally reliable, though it wasn’t quite as safe as some of it’s competitors. Reading on, however, he found that it was nice to drive, plenty sporty and comfortable, and very cheap to service in comparison to other cars in it’s segment. Intrigued, he booked a test drive.
(End result- moves to finals. Very well designed, though I felt the rear let the front down a bit. In terms of engineering, it was very good, having the highest overall reliability of all cars submitted, and good scores in key areas, not to mention the some of the lowest service costs. Very well done.)

sayokin

Delphus Crusader “Manta Ray”- @SayokiN
Next on the list was the Crusader. The most affordable car on David’s list, he liked the aggressive design, but thought the larger wheels made it look a tiny bit cartoon-y. Upon reading some owner reviews, David found that the Crusader was relatively well built, with a balanced suspension tune that offers good drivability, comfort and sportiness without many compromises. The only sore spot that David found was that the Crusader was on the slightly more expensive side of things when it came to servicing costs. Seeing no immediate reason to discount it, David schedules a test drive.
(End result- moves to finals. Relatively well designed, though I thought the 22s you put on it were a bit too big and made it look a tad cartoon-like. It was also well-tuned and engineered, hitting decently high scores in some key areas. The only small problem I had is that it leans towards the expensive side when it comes to service costs, but it’s still not bad. Very well done.)

arm

T3K Vision GT10- @ARM_Tune
Next on David’s list is the Vision GT10. While not an immediate fan of it’s design, with slightly small headlights and a slightly too simple rear for his tastes, David overall liked it. Upon reading some reviews however, David found that it wasn’t the easiest to drive, and was a tiny bit average in comparison to other cars in it’s segment. Unceremoniously, David crossed the GT10 off his list.
(End result- eliminated. While the design was generally fine, I felt the front was bit out of proportion, with small lights, and large everything else. I also wasn’t the biggest fan of the rear, but it wasn’t bad. However, you had the lowest drivability out of all of the semifinalists, and just average scores in other key areas. Not that bad overall though, just not enough in the end.)

Tristella Halcyon- @Xepy
Next on David’s list was the Halcyon. David liked the design, with it’s stunning yellow paint, sharp front and well designed rear, but thought that the general shape was a tad dated. Upon reading some owner reports and reviews, he found that while it was very sporty and easy to drive, it wasn’t the most comfortable, and it had the lowest safety out of all cars in it’s segment. Disappointed, David crossed it off his list.
(End result- eliminated. While you had really good drivability and by far the highest sportiness, it had below average comfort, the lowest safety of all cars submitted, and you were average elsewhere. The design too was generally pretty good, but using the 360 body inherently dated your car a bit. Not a bad showing though.)

chips

CMW ZS600- @MrChips
Next up was the CMW ZS600. David generally liked it’s design, though he thought the wider stance made it look a bit too blocky. After reading some reviews and owner reports, David found that the ZS600, while easy to drive and quite comfortable, it wasn’t the sportiest. He also found that it was a tad expensive to service as well. Disappointed, David crossed the ZS600 off his list.
(End result- eliminated. Overall it was a decent all around car, but it had the second lowest sportiness of all the semifinalists, and well above average service costs. The design was decent, but the widened stance made it feel a bit too blocky for my tastes. However, it was extremely safe, and offered slightly above average prestige. The sportiness just sunk you here. Good job all around though.)

mazda

Kaizen SCP58s- @66mazda
Next on David’s list is the Kaizen SCP58s. David liked the design, with it’s muscular and aggressive appearance. After reading some owner reports and some reviews, David found that the SCP58s wasn’t particularly sporty, and was just average when it came to comfort, and overall feel. With that, David crossed it off his list.
(End result- eliminated. Much like the CMW, you had an overall decent car, however you had the lowest sportiness out of all of the finalists, and were average when it came to comfort and prestige. You did, however, have the second lowest service costs out of all the semifinalists, so good job there. Design was also a particular high point, but like the CMW, low sportiness is what did you in the worst. All around a decent job.)

critical

Joyeux Vivre Rapide- @CriticalSet9849
Next was the Vivre Rapide. David liked it’s design for the most part, but felt the front was a bit strange. Not discounting it entirely, David read up on the Vivre. After reading some reviews, David found that the Joyeux was very easy to drive, as well as being decently sporty and comfortable too, with no major faults that he could find. Seeing no immediate reason to cross it off, David booked a test drive.
(End result- finals. A really well tuned entry that for the most part had a good design, with some clever fixture usage. It also offers a decent value with it’s low purchase price, and below average service costs. Well done.)

Hinode Phoenix- @S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T
Second to last on David’s list was the Phoenix. David liked it’s design, with the sharp and angular front being a particular high point. Upon reading some reviews and owner reports, he found that the Phoenix was quite expensive to service, and wasn’t the most comfortable either. Reviews also pointed out that it felt of average quality compared to some of it’s competition, and it wasn’t the easiest to drive. Disappointed, David crossed it off his list.
(End result- eliminated. While the design was very good, your car was solidly average in most of the more important places, and was the second most expensive car to service out of the semifinalists. For the most part it was good, just simply outmatched against some of the other cars. Strong showing though.)

AMB GX260- @EnCR
Last up was the GX260. David for the most part liked the design, but felt the front was a bit too busy for his tastes. After reading up on the GX260, however, he found that it was very uncomfortable, a bit too expensive to service, and quite thirsty at the fuel pump. He also found that safety was a bit below average, and it didn’t feel particularly premium either. With that, David crossed it off his list.
(End result- eliminated. You had the lowest comfort out of all the semifinalists, and were very average elsewhere. You also had the third highest service costs, and the worst fuel efficiency of all the semifinalists. All around not bad, but like the Hinode, you were simply outmatched.)

Finalists:
@Aaron.W
@Tsundere-kun
@Ezdmn
@donutsnail and @Lazar
@Tzuyu_main and @chiefzach2018
@SayokiN
@CriticalSet9849
@SpeedyBoi/@Falling_Comet/@Urke101/@variationofvariables

34 Likes

CSR 139- Phase 4- Finals

After a few long days of narrowing down what car he most wanted, David arose from bed, ready to test out his top 8, and take one home. He got out of bed, cleaned himself up and quickly made himself some breakfast. Checking the time, he saw that it was almost time for his first test drive, so he grabbed his keys and mask, and headed out to the first dealership…

Test Drive 1- Auxio SV450

Arriving at the Auxio dealership at 8:30AM sharp, David was greeted by a smartly dressed salesman, who walked him over to the SV450. Up close, David was immediately taken with it’s stunning Deep Ocean paint. The salesman told David about the SV450’s smooth V8 powertrain, drawing his interest more. Climbing into the SV450’s spacious interior, He took notice of the beautifully crafter interior, with rich brown Nappa leather on every surface, and the thick flat-bottomed steering wheel flowing through his hands beautifully. He also enjoyed how the sport bucket seats cradled him.

Getting out onto the pavement, David was impressed almost immediately, with the Auxio reaching 60 in a blistering 4 seconds flat, the large tires digging into the ground. He listened as the salesperson went on about the rear biased AWD system, which he felt as he cornered hard around the streets near the dealership, experiencing the lightning-fast shifts of the SV450’s twin-clutch gearbox and its cool metal paddles, and the thick bolstering of the sport buckets holding him in. The sound of the V8 approaching its 8,900 RPM redline drew him in, with a sound like no other.

Pulling back into the dealership lot, David was very impressed with the Auxio. He parked the SV450, handed the salesman back the keys, and headed out for his next test drive.

Test Drive 2- Turból Verux V12

Arriving at the Turból dealership at 9:45, he was greeted by the young saleswoman, who walked David over to the ZZ Racing Yellow Verux he reserved. Walking around the exterior, that the saleswoman said was designed by EFI, David was even more struck by the sharp headlights and aggressively shaped rear than he was in pictures. Climbing into the interior, he was greeted by a high-tech environment, wrapped in black quilted leather, and trimmed with pieces of glossy carbon fiber. Powering on the Verux, he heard the naturally aspirated V12 roar to life.

Turning out onto the roads surrounding the Turból dealership, David felt the Verux grab onto the asphalt immediately, thanks to the advanced AWD system the sales woman mentioned. Firing the car into the next gear with the aluminum paddles mounted on the wheel, David was thrusted into his seat, the carbon fiber trimmed buckets holding him in place. Going around a corner, he felt the Verux stay stable and controlled, even at the limit, thanks to the exceptionally tuned variable air suspension. The sound of the V12 howling, coming to life the harder David pushed it, was a fantastic experience.

Pulling back into the Turból dealership, David has a mile long smile on his face, truly impressed with the experience the Verux offered. Handing the leather-wrapped keyfob back to the saleswoman, he was ready to head to his next text drive.

Test Drive 3- Sendo GT-Sport

Arriving at the Sendo showroom at 10:20, the professionally dressed salesman walked David over to the Dark Grey GT-Sport he reserved. Taken with the front desing, and loving the rear with it’s interwoven elements, David was impressed. Climbing into the exceptionally put together interior, the first thing that drew David’s eye was the tourbillon timepiece, situated in the center stack. Putting his hands around the black leather steering wheel, David brought the GT-Sport to life, the sound of it’s turbocharged V12 coming alive beneath him.

Pulling the Sendo onto the road, David noticed it’s weight in his hands. Once he got it going, that fell away. While it didn’t feel as fun to drive as the Verux or the SV450, the GT-Sport was more than making up for it by being supremely easy to drive, and very comfortable. Tapping up on the paddles, David felt a slight hesitation from the more comfort oriented automatic gearbox, something the other cars he tested lacked. However, in corners the GT-Sport’s active suspension and AWD system kept up with it well, making it feel more nimble. The sound of the turbo 12 was nice, if a bit muted for David’s tastes.

Pulling back into the parking lot of the Sendo showroom, David was overall impressed with the GT-Sport, but wasn’t sure if it was right for him. Not wanting to choose too early, David handed the keys back to the salesman, and went to the next test drive.

Test Drive 4- Seikatsu GR50 G-Tune

Arriving at the Seikatsu dealership at 11:15, a sharply dressed salesperson walked David over to the Quartz Vantablack GR50 he reserved. Liking the aggressive front fascia, David put a smile on. Walking around to the back, David thought it was nice, but not as good as the front. Climbing into the interior, greeted by a leather and Alcantara cockpit, trimmed with bits of polished aluminum, David was impressed with what he saw. The salesperson also mentioned that the Seikatsu is the most reliable car in it’s class, something he picked up on, with every touch surface feeling rock solid. Pressing the metal start button, he heard the V8 roar to life, and took it out to the streets.

Pulling out onto the road, David felt the rear of the car give a little, due to the heavily rear-biased AWD system. Tapping the aluminum paddle into the next gear, David felt the large V8 come to life, hollering all the way up to it’s 7,800rpm redline, with it feeling exceptionally responsive. Pushing the GR50 around a corner, David felt how light it was and the well-tuned active suspension system kept the car remarkably well controlled, putting a smile on David’s face. Overall impressed with the driving dynamics, David liked it, but thought it was a tiny bit too firm over bumpy roads.

Pulling back into the dealership, David came away mostly impressed with the Seikatsu. Looking at the time, he handed the key back to the salesperson, and went off.

Being a bit after noon, David stopped to get some lunch before his next test drive. So far he had liked everything that he’d driven, but still wasn’t quite sure if any were right for him.

Test Drive 5- Mondo E2 Altair

Arriving at the Mondo dealership at 12:45, David met with the well dressed salesman, who took David over to the Brittanium Green E2 Altair that he requested. David was impressed with the E2’s long, low-slung stance and imposing appearance. He particularly liked the rear, with its taillights wrapping up onto the spoiler. Climbing inside, David loved the spacious, Nappa leather and carbon fiber trimmed interior, with deep sports seats cradling him in. Pressing the aluminum start button, the V12 powerplant came to life, and David set off.

Getting out onto the streets, David pressed down on the accelerator, with the E2’s engine roaring it’s way up to the 9,000rpm redline. Thrusted back into his seat, David was impressed with the sheer acceleration of the E2, being the quickest to 60 out of all of the cars he’s driven. Tapping on the carbon paddles, David felt the car slip into the next gear smoothly and quickly. Going around a bend, the E2 kept it’s composure and remained easy to handle, thanks to the compliant AWD system and variable suspension. Impressed with the E2’s dynamics, he set a course back to the dealership.

Pulling back into the dealership, David was thoroughly impressed with the E2. Still wanting to test the rest of the cars, David handed the keys back to the saleswoman and went to the next test drive.

Test Drive 6- Cascina Glicine GTB

Arriving at the Cascina showroom at 1:30, David greeted the well-dressed salesman, who walked him over to the Cascina Light Blue Glicine GTB he requested. David liked the modern and shapely front, and liked the slightly aggressive rear. Climbing into the interior, he’s swaddled in a palace of grey Alcantara and gloss carbon fiber, with a modern flat-bottom steering wheel that holds a set of shift lights in the top portion. Pressing the red wheel-mounted engine starter, the flatplane V8 kicks to life, and David sets off.

Steering out onto the street, the rear-biased AWD lets the rear end of the Glicine kick out a bit. David keeps it well controlled, with the heavily bolstered seats keeping him in place. Pressing on the accelerator, the 540hp powerplant roars to life, screaming up to 8,000rpm with a distinctly Italian sound. Reaching 60 in a blistering 3.2 seconds, David falls for the Glicine’s performance. Grabbing the large carbon paddle and shifting into the next gear felt smooth, even at lower speeds. The active suspension also did its job well, keeping the car planted through tight corners. Impressed, David heads back to the showroom.

Pulling back into the parking lot of the Cascina showroom, David was surprised by the Glicine. Still with a few cars to go, he handed the keys back to the salesman, and went off to his next test drive.

Test Drive 7- Delphus Crusader “Manta Ray”

Arriving at the Delphus dealership at 2:50, David met with the casually dressed saleswoman, who walked him over to the Piranha Red Crusader he reserved. Walking around it, David liked the aggressive front, and was a particular fan of the rear as well. Climbing into the interior, David was greeted by a series of well-made soft touch plastics, quilted black leather and aluminum trim. He also liked the flat-bottom steering wheel, with large aluminum paddles flanking both sides. Pressing the red starter button and putting it into gear, David sets off.

David pulls out on to the road, with a little bit of wheelspin, though the advanced differential kept it in check. Pressing down on the accelerator, the large naturally aspirated V10 comes alive, screaming up to its 7,800rpm redline. Clicking the paddles, the twin-clutch gearbox upshifts quickly and without drama, and makes the engine let out a pleasant burble. Coming around a tight bend, the Crusader keeps its composure, thanks to it’s clever differential and well-tuned suspension. The one sore spot that David found was that the large wheels and narrow sidewall somewhat hurt it’s comfort, but it was still good. Relatively impressed with it’s dynamics, David set off back to the Delphus dealership.

Pulling back into the Delphus dealership, David is impressed with the Crusader, and liked that it was the most affordable thing he tested. Handing back the key, David sets off for his last test drive.

Test Drive 8- Joyeux Vivre Rapide

Arriving at the Joyeux dealership at 3:45, David meets with a professionally dressed salesperson who brings David over to the F40 Red Vivre. David likes its classical front, and appreciates the sharply designed rear. Climbing inside of the Vivre, David is greeted by a high-tech interior with swaths of black quilted leather, bright yellow accents, and aluminum trim. Taking hold of the flat-bottom Alcantara wrapped steering wheel, David presses the starter button, and the large V8 roars to life.

Pulling out onto the road, David kicks the rear end of the Joyeux out a bit, but it still stays remarkably planted. Stepping on the accelerator, he’s thrown into the sport bucket seats, with the car hurtling towards 60 in just 3 seconds, making it the fastest car David has tested. The AWD system and well-tuned active suspension system keep it well planted, and it’s lower weight keeps it very tossable. Much like the other cars he tested, the twin-clutch gearbox shifted quickly and without drama, and was smooth at low speeds too. Overall liking the Vivre’s dynamics, he set a course back to the Joyeux dealership.

Pulling back into the dealership, David likes what the Joyeux has to offer. Handing the keys back to the salesperson, it’s time for him to reflect back on everything he’s tested, and sleep on it.

Arriving back at his apartment after a day of test drives, it’s time for David to decide which of the cars he’s tested he wants the most. He liked each car for different reasons, but in his heart of hearts, he knows that there’s only one for him. Putting a smile on his face, he picks up his phone and calls back one of the dealerships…….

Results

Rankings

1st Place- @donutsnail and @Lazar
2nd Place- @SpeedyBoi/@Falling_Comet/@Urke101/@variationofvariables
3rd Place- @Ezdmn
4th Place (a tie!): @CriticalSet9849 and @Tsundere-kun
5th Place- @Tzuyu_main and @chiefzach2018
6th Place- @Aaron.W
7th Place- @SayokiN

Congratulations to donutsnail and Lazar! This was a really tough competition, and you all made it really hard to choose a winner, but I know David is more than happy with his choice. This was incredibly tight, well done to all the finalists!

Most importantly I want to thank you all for making my first CSR hosting gig a pleasant experience. I know that sometimes there can be a lot of salt with this challenge, but you all made it go really smoothly. Can’t wait to see what next round holds! :eyes:

37 Likes

CSR speedrun RTA WR. An impressive effort from a first-time hoster, great challenge and great effort. GG

14 Likes

For the former, it’s also his fifth win overall (and also the second straight victory in a CSR that he has entered - he was absent from the CSR 138 entry list), so hats off to him.

Quite right. The previous CSR took far longer to complete than anticipated, so it’s nice to see that this one came to a swift and satistying conclusion. Let’s hope the next one raises the bar further in all aspects, regardless of its theme.

2 Likes

Props for such a quick turnaround! Ngl the pace you set caught me out every single time. Quck shots, short burbs… now that’s some OG CSR stuff.

Congrats to donutsnail and lazar for winning David’s heart and wallet. I’ve always found Lazar’s stuff to be so nice and pure and clean cut, and apparently donutsnail hit just the right spot with the tuning as well.

Though I do wanna see how you deem the winner better than the others, since I don’t find the reviews convey enough of a sense of superiority (nor should it, I don’t think the reviews should give it away mid-read). Did you use a spreadsheet system, or did you find the Verux’s stats balanced in just the right way? And what kind of balance was it?

8 Likes

I used a spreadsheet for my scoring, and wrote my judgements based on that, plus what I saw on graphs in Automation in terms of handling and whatnot.

1 Like

That’s the exact same method I used to decide the finishing order in CSR 137, which I hosted - except this time there were only eight finalists instead of ten. I did not expect you to pull off such a quick turnaround, though - going from the end of the submission period to the final results in just 72 hours is something the likes of which we have rarely seen since the Kee era (and even more so since the introduction of later UE4 builds) - and you should be commended for that.

3 Likes

GG’s everyone, can’t wait for CSR 140!

5 Likes

The conclusion of CSR 139 brings us to CSR 140. That leaves us to wonder what shall it be… also, should we have a slogan for CSR?

CSR: The Automation competition where you get binned for silly mistakes until you’ve competed at least 5 times!

9 Likes