CSR 142: A Place in My Heart (Finished)

And if he isn’t?

Are you gonna help him get better or just continue to laugh at him?

10 Likes

both-is-good-both

8 Likes

600 nm? The test didn’t say that I had to build some kind of beast, so I optimized the car as much as possible to increase my chances of winning.
And just because my car isn’t very good, that doesn’t mean I can’t build a better one. And no, I’m not a troll, so you won’t get that kind of fun reaction from me, no matter how much you wait.
Let’s wait for VenaSera to finally come to California and determine the long-awaited results.

I think in PM I will give him advices if he wants to!

Hidden pile of words

When I started, I was not used to car building and I did mistakes. I’ve been softly publicly shamed so I corrected some stuff.

But sometimes you have to compare and see if your build makes sense.

I mean a few oddities is alright but do not push limits!

66mazda gives his time to judge this challenge, if every people sends nonsense builds he will need a good sense of humour to not feel disrespected.

A first advice for you @kalan, if the theme is a luxury car try to have a 200+ score on this demographic to give you a solid base!

Then, some of the solutions you used could have been correct in isolation to each other, I think about ladder chassis or V8 or turbo small unit but you did counter-productive choices!

To finish, being a bit shaken hasn’t done wrong to anyone, I am not expecting you to play any role but to present something where you’ve put a bit of reflexion in. You’re not De Coubertin, if you enter a challenge it’s because you expect to win or getting a good position at least don’t you?

All of us expect you to build a better car so we can have fun with you not of you! Close battles are always more fun than leaving every one in the dust.

I’ll make a confidence, I do not expect mine to get any laurels in this challenge and having made fun of your build puts me in the spot lights so I expect the judges not to be tender with me :rofl: BUT I always follow my convictions about building a car while following what’s been done in real life.

By the way my reaction was matching your level of making a fool of 66mazda concerning its delay of judging compared to your entry. We all have a life outside the internet.

About the 600Nm, it’s a by-product. I always try to go for 100Nm/L as low as possible in the rev range

3 Likes

btw probably could use a 5+speed automatic for a luxury car

spend some time to make one of my own, and i got double the hp with some simple tuning

edit:

i am not joking, i tripled the hp, yes, 3 times the horsepower. now it only have some turbo lag and bad fuel economy

1 Like

it’s not that hard to make one, i only spend like 14mins on the engine
you probably could do even better

btw, I don’t get why use only 91 ron when the rules said you could use 95 ron

so come on, I know you can do better than 128.3hp with this engine.

use low frction cast if u want some more fuel eco, use ball bearing too if u use turbo, vvt could help too, and use vvl, it could save your engine a lot, both in eco and hp, using a different fuel type wouldn’t affect the cost too, if u are using 4v per cylinder, use DOHC instead of SOHC

1 Like

As usual, I’m very much willing to help with the engineering if anyone needs it - I’ve spent probably the majority of the time with this game by playing with that, especially engine tuning. All it takes is asking by PM if you want :slight_smile: @kalan

But, there’s a note to be made about CSR - it’s probably the most competitive challenge here, and thus hosts (and others) usually expect pretty high level of everything. If one enters anything short of the best you can find on the forum, then unfavourable judging is to be expected.
In short - CSR is “Automation Challenge: Prepare to Die Edition” :wink:

7 Likes

I remember my first CSR.

smh…all bad lol.

3 Likes

These are mostly excerpts from the conversation Jason had with his mechanic, who also works for a TV show that reviews new cars.

CSR142 Part 2

Tier 3 Mechanic’s Rejection bins, part 1

“Anyways, moving on from that disaster scam…”

Deleu-Mathers 1610 V8

ezgif.com-gif-maker

@Asami

“The car cannot decide whether it wants to be a drag special or a luxury cruiser. However, for the latter, which we request, you have to be able to turn. Neither the numb steering nor its questionable dynamics give a good impression. It also lacks dual frontal airbags, and I think it’s reasonable to expect that a car of this price range would have them. Oh and I absolutely think they are a nightmare to work on”

Verdict: Tier 3 bin.

Leighton Chronos aLX

74c34072018c88b5372d6231bcc376d7b965fc69_2_690x388

@Fayeding_Spray

“This car looks like a grandpa in reading glasses, and looks about that it has been designed by one. That’s not where the similarities end… take speed for example. Its outdated 3L V6 is woefully outgunned by the competition’s V8s and V12s. It also does not have dual frontal airbags. This is definitely not the car for you, as it’s way too soft. Also, I know you’re not cheap for the sake of it.”

Altra XCv 3.6 Air-Ride

adf73b6a32c35c06dd304ee6572de4bf9f9aeffa_2_690x388

@Hilbert

“You know, sometimes I wonder where you get your car advice from. Isn’t this a bit too mainstream for the segment? Regardless of that, I think it’s a reasonably competitive car if you can get above its sloppy handling and grabby brakes, neither of which you’ll like. At least it’s built reasonably well, with a reasonably punchy engine and good appointments, even if parts are a bit hard to come by. Still not sure if air suspension is really necessary.”

Sovaine Athena LSE

@Sovaine

“For something named after the goddess of wisdom, there are too many unwise choices. Namely, the poorly tuned turbocharged V6 engine that is unusually prone to failure, ineffective brakes, numb steering, and poorly matched tires. Also, it’s just plain overpriced for what you get, a smattering of parts that sound good by themselves but aren’t integrated together well. Wise to not buy this piece of junk.”

IP Icarus 3000 GLT

cf17588d5839ab71ea63fd74c2082dc04da83291_2_690x388

@Knugcab

“Just like its namesake, this car has a tendency to fail under heat. In the myths, it was the wings, here it is the brakes. You gonna go crashing down either way, along with your wallet. Oh, and the turbo V6 engine spools longer than a crane winch, and still likes to throw faults quite often. No thanks. It had so much potential, but could never go the last mile. Also they’re prone to disintegrating, which is a bit unusual for a Swedish car.”

Frogeye Scorpio 24V

9ba595ff02b5c483f4f4707b7e74d853d7c007e3_2_690x388

@conan

“If, and only if, you can get past the styling, this is actually a solid contender. It’s reasonably comfortable, powerful, and composed, and they hold up well in the real world. That V8’s bank angle raised quite a few eyebrows here though when we first tested it, we thought they were trying to save costs by sharing it across several different cars. Though I think overall braking is poor and judging from your reaction, that’s enough to drag it out of your recommendation list. Well, that’s a shame… Still you should try it out.”

Verdict: Moves on

Deer And Hunt Tines Grand Baltimore MKII

172c41dd26970b48787463d3832f2d1d311a55dd_2_512x499

@Mikonp7

“This car is well out of place here, and for all the bad reasons. While a reasonably stout body-on-frame construction and solid rear axle aren’t anything to scoff at by themselves, they put it at a major disadvantage compared to the competition, especially in the areas of performance and comfort. Despite its simple construction, its reliability isn’t mythical, and several more modern cars have proven to be superior in that regard. Fortunately, they’re reasonably well built. However…its safety record is among the worst of all new cars sold here, not having the latest suite of safety features hurts it heavily. Also, being a larger car does bring its own share of higher servicing costs too. One thing I heard about the Grand Baltimore was that Deer and Hunt were forced to severely detune the massive 6.5L V10 engine to meet emissions standards. Still, that doesn’t take away from its personality as a laid-back cruiser, after all, 290 hp isn’t the worst, especially when you got this much low-end torque. But then again, you’re not exactly looking for a cruiser this laid back right?”

Quezon Laguna VST

@variationofvariables

“The Filipinos really know how to make a pretty car, and there is no doubt that the Laguna will feel right at home among upscale cars. Unfortunately, it masks the fatal flaw of steel panels, which means that durability is going to be a major issue, even if quality compares favorably to the Japanese. Still, the idea of a watered-down sports sedan is very tantalizing indeed, and it comes with the latest technologies, such as a trick AWD system that can modulate power depending on the driving conditions and optional 4-wheel steering. But this might actually be a bit too sporty for your tastes, though I think it nails a good balance of performance and luxury. Hell, it comes with expensive performance rubber, an expense that you wouldn’t really appreciate anyways. Maybe a better expense would be a full suite of safety features. The 276hp twin-turbocharged V6 is about as good as you can get, but will always be at a major disadvantage when compared to a V8.”

Kerberos D443

a18a1741ae5e5da9be5e568c33bf20cea0a666b2_2_690x388

@nightwave

“Again, like the Quezon, this one attempts to inject a bit more fizz into your daily commute, though I reckon it injects way too much fuel into its 284hp 4.3L V8 engine. In all honestly, there isn’t anything inherently wrong with it, if you gloss over the lack of common safety features and the abysmal, barely road-legal brakes. On the plus side, servicing it won’t burn your wallet completely, even if it comes with pricey sports tires as standard, and build quality is pretty good. My personal opinion? It’s too compromised as a sports sedan and makes some mistakes as a luxury sedan. Pass.”

Stilesi 6L

71f27f91870d5ea8f4b327ddedbdfdfe2cd8bad7_2_690x388

@lotto77

“These things are surprisingly pleasant to be in, though I question if you’d want to drive this thing for long. The setup chosen for the tires and brakes can only be described as…wack, grabby, and out of balance. Also, there’s a reason Michelin TRX tires have long gone out of fashion. I continue to believe that hydropneumatic suspensions and other similar systems are an unnecessary cost and that aluminum bodies will be hell to repair.”

Alba SS7 3.2 T6

59873a727699836366868e39747c63e4c1942d48_2_690x388

@TheLapTopX20

“This car has a few peculiarities, including a well-tuned 254hp 3.2L turbocharged inline 6, an unusual AWD system, and terrible brakes. Regarding that AWD system, I’m not even sure how Alba managed to get that power distribution, and my impression was that it gave it a sluggish, front-heavy feeling. Also, the ride is a bit jarring for a luxury car. Would not recommend.”

Ecyor Sllor Sechs

e18ed947acf3df12e90019160c46984d34e9299f_2_690x388

@MrdjaNikolen

“Honestly there’s a reason you never ever see these things. It looks like an RC car from Best Buy and is about as reliable as one. With a good array of modern technology (except the safety of course…), this is a good lesson on something that looks good on paper but is absolutely pathetic in real life. Just look at the “powerful” and poorly set up engine that will never be able to use its full 316hp ever, and the aluminum body panels that will be extraordinarily hard to repair.”

MAHG Sigma Prestige 4 GT

67ba1bfe63769e73d419b9a956b9c5c4de6929a5_2_690x388

@S31

“Honestly quite incredible that MAHG found it fitting to get a literal truck engine, turbocharge it, and shoehorn it in the front of a passenger car. Sure, with 5 liters and 361 hp under your command, having a wide powerband is nice, and having AWD helps it consistently pull away from the line in a hurry. But its immense weight, combined with the haphazard tuning of the AWD system completely wrecks the handling dynamics and braking by completely overloading the front tires and brakes. They’re an absolute pain to work on, cause you can access nothing, and you can get better features for its high price, including a but not limited to a V8 engine and dual frontal airbags. Not even MAHG’s complicated suspension design can compensate for the sheer lack of composure. On the other hand, they’re among the best-built cars sold here.”

AT-Stellar

@T0M

"Oh, these things. They just issued a recall for improperly manufactured pistons. But even if we get over that, it’s not a good value for money, even if it has a powerful 341hp 4L V10 that offers good all-around performance. It lacks features that one might expect for this kind of car, such as dual frontal airbags, yet it slathers on things I see as unnecessary, such as hydropneumatic suspension, Michelin TRX tires, and electric power steering. "

Wells

666fceda53200b608bb9f7398aec023d3dabedd0_2_690x388

@DuceTheTruth100

“They must really be proud of this car to call it the Wells. Well, I think they need to reconsider that thought. First, the engine, while reasonably good, runs a bit too rich for its own good. Second, it’s not entirely the most pleasant car to be in. For example, the brakes are far too grabby yet offer terrible performance, I’m not a fan of its steering system, and it has a suspension that really likes to transmit small bumps to the interior. It’s a good effort, but I know there are much better cars out there.”

Kaufmann Gestalt 380

@Xepy

“As always, you can count on the legendary Kaufmann brand to deliver almost the ideal car. The Gestalt 380 ranks among the most competitive cars in its class, featuring a bulletproof, well-engineered combination of sturdiness, performance, and luxury. Even the cost of buying and maintaining it is reasonable. The reason I said almost in the beginning, was that I don’t think the brakes will work at all under your pretty aggressive driving. But it’s still something that you should try for yourself. Also, I would be lying if I said that I was the biggest fan of their new styling.”

Verdict: Moves on.

Quadra Intruder SC2

3c62f80414ef096f362390978038f22b25eed5da_2_690x388

@ARM_Tune

“A well-engineered, expertly built, and traditional American car on fat tires. Everything, from its 261hp 4.5L V8, well-calibrated transmission and suspension, and good interior appointments is integrated well together to create a compelling package that, at below $40,000, is a cracking value for money.”

Verdict: Moves on.

22 Likes

I agree that the V6 is an unreliable unit but did the export screw up the brakes in some way? When looking at the car now, it has 0% driveability/utility brake fade and 0.9% sportiness, it doesn’t really feel like a disaster to me? :thinking:

3 Likes

So the brakes weren’t exactly the “big problem” with your car. But I thought it would be fun if we tied it with the name stuff and all, and they were problematic enough so.
Your engine was the much bigger problem

4 Likes

imo i guess it were more beneficial for me to use a v12? Only if I had hyperutetic? Pistons, it would be less mankier in emissions… tried getting it to the poor mans phantom even though it was barely competitive

2 Likes

Damn that was harder than i thought, didn’t expect getting binned that early

Ig i need more safety for the next time

Yeah, I think brakes are one of my consistent weak points. Back to the drawing board.

wait a min, only 3 cars makes it though the first round?

no, we’re only halfway through the first round

Huh, of all the things that I thought would get me binned, the brakes certainly weren’t one of them. Not entirely sure where the grabby brakes came from but maybe that’s down to me reading the pad type slider wrong :confused: Wack is certainly right though lmao, looking back at it I somehow managed to make the rear brakes a touch larger than the fronts. Also not totally sure what was wrong with the tyres but y’know, learning experience and all that.

Ah well fair cop, at least it wasn’t an instabin like I thought it’d be!

3 Likes

Even months later, the bin streak continues hell yeah.

Dope write up :100: :100: :100:, I appreciate the feedback.