CSR 142: A Place in My Heart (Finished)

I’m not exactly sure how any car from 1995 could exceed the maximum trim emissions limit with a 3-way converter. I suspect it may have been due to a poorly tuned engine, probably with an overly rich air/fuel ratio. Besides, an iron block (which is heavier, cheaper and more reliable than an equivalent one made of aluminum) yields higher engine emissions.

1 Like

That’s probably it. I bet it also has to do with the use of a giant V10.

When the design was nearing it’s final stage, trim emissions were around 370. My mistake was that I didn’t look at it at the final stage, even though I had only made what I thought were minor adjustments.

Though I never really expected it to be competitive anyway. Can’t wait to see how the rest of this goes on! (:

Edit: just got a chance to look at what my emissions are now: 401.8.

W.H.Y.

1 Like

My beast exceeded the damn thing. Had to retune everything to get it below 400

3 Likes

Based on my test builds I was honestly surprised that people had trouble with the emissions limits.

1 Like

Yeah Iron block may have fucked me over, and I fully glanced over the rule for trim emissions.

I ran a quite outdated iron block V6 and that didn’t seem to ruin emissions for me though…

My initial tune made like 600 trim emissions with a high-flow 3-way cat. I had to lean it all the way out and switch to hypereutectic cast pistons. I went from around 300 to 260 horsepower. I later ended up making some changes so that I ended up with regular cast pistons instead though.

1 Like

Wait why use regular cast pistons? Standard forged pistons simultaneously reduce the emissions and give you about 1 RON of extra octane to use

Maybe I was doing something stupid but I didn’t notice any trim emissions benefit from forged pistons. I also had used every 0.1 of engine ET available on quality for stuff like fuel and exhaust so I decided to stick with it rather than take advantage of the extra octane.

Edit: You know what, in retrospect, I actually ended up going with Low Friction Cast, I just forgot. So, I chose something slightly better than 60’s tech.

Hypereutectic cast pistons yield lower emissions compared to other piston types, but low-friction cast pistons (available from 1991 onwards) give the biggest improvement in fuel economy, at the expense of strength. That’s why I went with LFC pistons instead of HEC after realizing that by doing so, I would gain 5 or so US mpg without losing too much performance (or increasing emissions too much).

3 Likes

LFC is a very trolly upgrade. I could have easily tacked 4 mpg onto my car in that manner, but HEC is more realistic and also suppresses noise.

2 Likes

Looks like 66mazda got stuck, it turned out to be a titanic job for him.
By the way, don’t forget that cars are judged not by design, but by certain parameters, as you said.
You don’t have to test every car.
According to the above rules, 40 cars were to be evaluated in 4 days and shown as a result on 10/31/2021.

I mean, he did check all 40 cars to make sure they’re not breaking the rules.

Chill, we’ll get the full writeup when it’s ready.

10 Likes

Hey now, these aren’t the 15-fixture cars they were judging when those rules were written. Mazda is simply writing some reviews and balancing that task with his own real-life tasks.

If you want to ask for a progress report or update on how the reviews are coming along, please do so in a less passive-aggressive manner.

4 Likes

Just be patient and stop being a damn pansy for Christ’s sake.
Sound’s like my ex-girlfriend assuming everything when things aren’t to what you expect.
And from what I know, reviews are coming along, says he’ll finish writing them up today or tomorrow. Updates are expected this weekend. Also I’m spending 10-12 hour days 6 days a week, 300ft up a damn Wind Turbine Generator installing ground cables in blades. My PC is in California while I’m in Missouri. We involved an extra helper to help with the judging and reviews while I’m away.
I recently did buy a new laptop to try helping the boys out when I have the time to do so.

5 Likes

Can we all just calm down and not resort to name calling please? Mazda has promised not to repeat history, so we have to give him the benefit of doubt. So far judging is being stretched out a bit compared to the strictest of CSR rules, but nothing egregious yet, so we can still remain optimistic to a positive resolution of the challenge. But, given Mazda’s history, the mod team has promised to keep an eye on things and invoke CSR rules if and when necessary to make the round end through a community vote. We are not there yet.

So for people impatient, rest assured that the situation is being monitored, and nagging is counter productive. If things go awry, it will be dealt with.

For people involved in judging, please accept that there is a well-documented history, and help with dispelling people’s justified concern instead of name calling and indignation.

Just my two cents… and from now I’ll take my own advice that I have for all bystanders, and will remain a bystander, and not derail the thread further.

14 Likes

CSR142 Part 2

Tier 3 Mechanic’s Rejection bins, part 1 prequel

Random garage in California
10am

“Hey Jason! I heard you were looking to get a bigger car?” remarked the mechanic as Jason parked his Kaizen FC22 in the garage.

“Hi Thomas,” responded Jason. “I am indeed in the market for a new car? I thought I would stop by for your opinions.”

“Sure thing!”

Blue Star 111

03f6ab8048d547a3144f0e9b8220cf12e99c1852_2_690x388

@kalan

“You know the story of Blue Star right? Well, after a short-seller released a very damaging report on his company, the feds did an investigation on their own and have just charged the founder with securities fraud. The SEC also filed its own civil charges against him too. Blue Star had a promise of building a more sustainable and affordable “luxury car” for the future, whatever that is. Anyways, what the government alleges is that he deliberately misled investors into believing that their first car, the Blue Star 111, was entering production soon when he knew well that the project had barely made any progress past the brainstorming stage. In addition, the several prototypes he exhibited at the major auto shows to prove his progress was discovered to be merely “show cars,” barely functional and cobbled from donor cars with a smattering of parts. For example, they had two salvaged Suzuki 1.1L motorcycle engines welded together and jury-rigged to a single-overhead-cam valvetrain and two turbochargers just for the sake of it, and a junk 4-speed manual transmission that didn’t even work. Anyways, once the investors, many of who had no prior trading experience, knew of the disaster that befell them, it was too late. Some of them claim that they lost entire retirement savings because of this scheme.”

“oh dear…”

Note

“it turned out to be a titanic job for him”

Get the “titanic job” of submitting a proper car to CSR done right, and then we can talk.
But you got the “titanic job” of making such a bad car done so right, so nice job I guess?

This car was so bad that I could not justify it existing in the actual marketplace, and thus had to create a special dishonorable mention post for this. I honestly don’t even know where to start from this, as all of the fundamental components were just done wrong…for example, all steel body on frame construction, overly stiff suspension, and cheap corner-cutting in areas like brakes and safety. But what really drove me crazy was the engine…a 2.2L SOHC 32 valve 60 degree V8, bolted to two turbochargers, and running a super leaned out 86 AKI air-fuel mixture. Output? 128.3 hp and 134.8 lbft. Oh and it cuts off at 5k RPM cause the creator felt like it.

bruh

next section coming asap

Auxio AQ500 by @Aaron.W (the black car)

22 Likes

lmao 2.2L v8 making only128.3hp?
damn that’s pretty hard to get that little hp from a turboed v8

10 Likes

Some serious dedication/s

4 Likes

Even a 2.2 NA inline 4 would’ve done better!! LMAO!!!

On mine I’ve used turbo for torque and fuel efficiency so my peak power isn’t great but I’ve got 100Nm/L of torque from 1700rpm and I peak at 600Nm at 3500rpm and I’m close to 27% of fuel efficiency!!

Please @kalan,your car is so bad, tell us you’re a troll!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: