CSR 162 - Sunset Sporting (FINISHED, Winner Announced!)

Previous Round
CSR Rules

CSR162 - Sunset Sporting

by @vero94773 and @Kyorg

Los Angeles, California, July 2005

Tim Richards is an aspiring screenwriter, working in TV in the land where stars are born; Los Angeles. After a lucky break, Tim recived his first opportunity to bring one of his scripts to life, and with that came a substantial check, and he’s decided it’s time to step up from his ratty old economy car to something more fitting for his new position; a brand-new, shiny sports car.

With that in mind, Tim finally feels that it’s time to be a little flashy, and wants a car with exceptional styling, thrilling performance, some comfort and the luxury that he has worked so hard to earn.

Rules

• Trim/Variant Year - 2005

• $40,000 autobucks maximum.

• No negative quality allowed.

• 2 door coupe or convertible (sedan based coupes are also allowed, and there will be a multiplier for convertibles to help lessen the stats gap between them and coupes.)

• Wheelbase between 2.3 to 2.8m, standard rounding rules apply.

• At least 2 seats.

• At least standard 90s safety.

• Radial tires are required, and must end in 5. Race tires are not allowed.

• a 3-way catalytic converter (either kind) and at least one muffler is required.

• 95 RON/91 AKI fuel maximum. You may use a lower grade fuel, though it offers no benefit.

• 50 loudness maximum.

• No V16s, no race parts.

• Your car must achieve WES 9 or better.

• Interiors are not required.

• Legacy car bodies (it should say “Legacy Car Bodies” in the mod name) are not allowed.

Techpool

All entrants are allowed 55M in total techpool budget, with a minimum of 0. This is the sum of the car and engine total cost techpool values, as shown in the above screenshot.

If you’ve had trouble with techpool exporting incorrectly in the past, you may include a screenshot of your techpool values in the same DM as your submission- I will then compare the in-game numbers to the numbers listed in the screenshot, and will edit them if necessary. However, if you do not send a screenshot of your techpool values and they end up incorrect- or if the values in your included screenshot are also wrong, you will be binned.

Negative techpool is not allowed.

Styling Guide

• All cars must look road legal; as in they should have headlights and taillights, turn signals, wipers, etc etc. In short, it should look like a car that could feasibly exist - a good looking one at that as per the priorities in the next section.

• Advanced trim settings are allowed- however, you are not allowed to make the car look like something that it isn’t using them.

Priorities

:star: :star: :star:

Design

In Tim’s line of work, first impressions are everything. As such, design is of upmost importance. It should make a statement, and be breathtaking from a first glance.

Performance/Sportiness

Tim of course hasn’t forgotten the real reason you buy a sports car- because they’re exciting to drive. It shouldn’t be Prius slow, but it also shouldn’t be Veyron fast. I will also be judging more than just the numerical sportiness stat- I will be looking at the actual performance figures (0-60, 1/4 mile, cornering grip, etc) as well. I should also mention, Kyorg and I aren’t looking for street-legal race cars, thinly veiled GT3s, etc etc.

Drivability

As this new sports car will become Tim’s primary mode of transportation, it should be reasonably easy to drive, whether it be in deadlocked traffic, or up in the twisty canyon roads.

Prestige

Part of owning a sports car is the cache that comes with it, and the feeling of knowing that you made it. This is something Tim desires and expects out of a car like this.

Realism

OOC- Put simply, there were many ways to skin a cat so to speak when it came to performance and sports cars at this moment in time. You had things like the 350Z and RX-8 that represented performance on somewhat of a budget, but you also had things like the Corvette and Boxster that represented the blending of a more premium experience with the highs of a performance vehicle. That being said, if I see engineering that comes totally out of left field, like a twin-turbocharged V12 in a ladder framed convertible with solid axles, I’ll bin it unashamedly. I implore you to research information on relevant vehicles, and take risks that make sense, but keep in mind that all results are final, and I will not change them because the risks you took didn’t pan out.

:star: :star:

Comfort

Tim knows that comfort isn’t an area that sports cars are particularly well known for excelling, but seeing as it will be his primary vehicle, he doesn’t want it to feel like he’s riding on a rock tumbler in an earthquake.

Reliability

Again, Tim knows that reliability is also an area where sports cars may suffer, so while he doesn’t expect it to be trouble-free all the time, he doesn’t want a car that’s always in the shop either.

Safety

As this will be Tim’s main car, he wants something that feels solid and secure, particularly in the urban jungle that is downtown LA.

:star:

Service Costs

While Tim knows that a sports car will never be cheap to service, he doesn’t want to pay out the nose for a simple service either.

Value

Tim is okay spending all of his money, but if two cars offer the same benefits but one is cheaper, he will likely lean towards the cheaper offering.

Practicality

Tim doesn’t haul a lot of stuff or people, so he doesn’t need a particularly practical car.

Fuel Economy

Tim isn’t too concerned with how efficient his new car is, but with fuel prices being what they are, he doesn’t want something getting single digit MPGs either.

Do note- just because a stat is not listed amongst these priorities, doesn’t mean that you should totally ignore those other stats either. As the field thins out and the competition gets tighter, these stats may be the deciding factor in what car moves forward, and what car gets eliminated.

Inspirations

Porsche Boxster

Audi TT 3.2

Mercedes-Benz SLK

Porsche 911 Carrera

BMW Z4

BMW 6-Series

Jaguar XK

Infiniti G35 Coupe

Mercedes-Benz CL-Class

Chevrolet Corvette

Submissions

• Submissions will open on Monday, June 17th, 2024 at 11:59pm PST. Submissions sent before submissions officially open will not be accepted.
  • Submissions will then close exactly 1 month later, on Wednesday, July 17th, 2024 at 11:59pm PST.
  • The naming scheme is CSR162- (your username here) for the car model and engine family boxes. Trim and variant are free.
  • To submit, please post an ad containing at least one picture of your car here in the challenge thread and DM your .car file (and optionally a screenshot of your techpool distribution) to me (@vero94773) or @Kyorg over the forums only. Submissions over Discord will not be accepted. Ads in the thread may be posted up to 12 hours after submissions close.

Changelog

• Clarified the safety rule.

• Revised the submission instructions.

• Increased the maximum price cap from $36,000 to $40,000.

• Added a note about a multiplier to help lessen the gap in stats between coupes and convertibles.

• Clarified the minimum techpool.

• Increased total techpool budget from 55M to 65M. Techpool has been restored to its original 55M maximum after further discussion.

• Further clarified performance expectations.

22 Likes

So the at least 1 picture post can be separate from the ad post?

2 Likes

no, the one picture and the ad would be the same.

Then the “then” from the text I quoted is a bit confusing (submitting the car after the ad which can be submitted 12 hours after the deadline?)
Perhaps a slightly convoluted way to write it out could also be just:
“You need to submit:
-.Car file and optionally TP via discourse until deadline
-Ad containing at least one picture until 12 hours past the deadline”

Yes this is all nitpicking, but I feel like it isn’t a hard improvement to make

i’ve revised it to be more clear, but ultimately i don’t feel as if my phrasing was different from any other CSR.

Yeah it’s fine

just a heads up for everyone- submissions haven’t officially opened, but please re-read the brief again as the maximum price cap has changed from $36,000 to $40,000.

Convertibles will generally take a statistical hit compared to their coupe equivalents, so how should they be buffed? An equivalency multiplier (probably 1.02x to 1.1x depending on convertible type) could be considered.

Kyorg and i have discussed it, and we do plan to add a multiplier in some capacity.

Drivability will be a 3-star (i.e. major) judging criterion, but with manual transmissions yielding inferior drivability to any form of automatic transmission (especially an advanced one), I’m expecting Tim to just take the hit. However, the sportiness penalty for even an advanced automatic transmission may not be acceptable, although something with an auto manual or dual-clutch gearbox could yet tickle his fancy.

And on top of that, there should be a maximum loudness value of somewhere between 55 to 60, to accommodate entries whose engines have performance intakes.

On that note, I’m torn between the small, lightweight, mid-engined approach, and the lure of a bigger, brawnier FR alternative - I’ll just go with the one that holds the most promise.

And with exterior styling also being a 3-star judging criterion, I’m assuming Tim will take any exterior color as long as it suit’s the car’s overall appearance - although there are a few (such as neon pink or cyan) he will hardly even consider touching with a 10-foot pole (or driveshaft), regardless of what kind of car it’s applied to.

Finally, there should also be limits on body unlock years - Tim won’t want something that looks too outdated, after all.

alright i’m just gonna respond to all of this one at a time;

• as i said in the brief, there were many different directions that companies went in irl at this period of time, including transmission choices, which is why i left it open-ended so people can try whatever works best.

• i tested 8 different cars, a handful had performance intakes and i didn’t have much trouble staying under the limit of 50 loudness.

• there’s no preference for color, people are free to do what they like.

• i’m not setting a specific body unlock year, it’s an unnecessary rule as far as i’m concerned.

4 Likes

I agree with all of that.

Also, this reminds me somewhat of what CSR 152 would have been if the client had been looking for a dedicated (premium) sports car instead of a full-on luxury car with a dash of sportiness on the side.

Submissions Open

CSR 162 is now open for submissions, and the ruleset is locked in. Please be sure to re-read the brief, as there are important changes.

Countdown Timer

4 Likes

In collaboration with 1989 Vauxhall Frontera Fanboy, here it is. the 2005 Vanovo 379 “Fantastisk” V8, the last hurrah for the decade-old A40 platform
i don’t expect this to do well but worth a shot

12 Likes

Am currently building a very… convoluted (lorewise) entry if anyone wants to collab with visuals?

1 Like

'05 AMS Antares 5.0 V8 GT Coupe

Part GT car, part muscle car, all sports car, the Antares combines sleek looks and surprising reliability with stunning performance, from $40,000 AMU.

The Antares’ 5.0-liter all-alloy, naturally aspirated, quad-cam, 32-valve V8 sends a formidable 450 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque (at 6600 and 4600 rpm, respectively) to the rear wheels via a six-speed manual gearbox and helical LSD, yielding a 0-60 mph time of 4.3 seconds and an electronically controlled top speed of 186 mph, while also taking just 12.35 seconds for a standing quarter-mile, and retaining WES 11 compatibility for good measure.

With standard-fit high-performance tires (245/40R19 front, 275/35R19 rear) surrounding 19-inch alloy wheels and large vented slotted disc brakes with ABS, as well as track-tested 4-wheel independent suspension (dual wishbones up front and multilinks at the rear), the Antares can also turn and stop on a dime, needing just 37.5m to stop from 62 mph, while capable of 0.99g on a 200m skidpad, thanks to 50/50 weight distribution front-to-rear.

A sports car need not be uncomfortable or unsafe, however, and to that end, we’ve thrown in a high-quality premium interior (with a wide range of colors and trims), stereo sound system (complete with satnav!), six airbags (2 front, 2 side, and 2 curtain), stability/traction control and adjustable adaptive dampers for various road conditions. So what are you waiting for? Make a dealer appointment for a test drive today - you’ll thank yourself for it!

Interior

Other exterior angles

10 Likes

Hi guys :raising_hand_man:
Here’s my entry for this challenge

Prices starting at 39.500$ :wink:

Hope y’all like it :v:

17 Likes

To Speed and Enjoy in L.A.

The CBL2 by Yamaguchi is not a fancy ride, no.
It is comfortable, fast and reliable. It´s the one doing it all right and not impressing.
Great value, Japanese modesty, but all by being fun to drive and returning no disappointment. Engines availabe are a four cylinder with high possible revolutions, a sporty turbo version of it and a sophisticated flat six. The US spec version has the latter, with a healthy output and perfect smoothness.

Understatement is the way to go. Your Yamaguchi dealer will show you something that won´t impress the neighbour, but instead the one who deserves a pleasant surpise: YOU!

10 Likes

Does anyone want to collab on the styling? I’m really struggling with the rear end of my current build

2005 Hydrion Stryker GT6

After spending the '90s realigning to the wishes of the new corporate owner (and former competitor) Kerberos, Hydrion decided it’s time to take a chance on the sports car market. Borrowing the Kerberos five valve I6 and modifying it to become the Tigershark engine, they’re debuting the engine in the all–new Stryker coupe, with the ads emphasizing the “Fast, with Class” tagline. There’s also talk it’s almost a full second faster around the Dunsfold Aerodrome than a C6 Corvette, despite giving up two cylinders and roughly one hundred horsepower.

10 Likes