Sports/Supercar Design Thread

I decided to give the entire '95 mid-engined LVC range a once-over - it now has three distinct models: the entry-level LS25 (yellow, 275-bhp 2.5L flat-six), the mid-range LS35 (red, 400-bhp 3.5L flat-crank V8), and the LS60 (blue, 500-bhp 4.0L V12).

The LS25 now has an aluminum body (the original fiberglass-bodied version turned out to be too light), and the LS35 is now a completely separate model line, built on an entirely different body set (specifically, the '95 Outrun in MR configuration) and sandwiched between the LS25 and LS60.

If the LS25 is akin to a '90s interpretation of the Dino 206/246, six-cylinder engine and all, the LS35 is roughly equivalent to an F355/360, while the LS60 is more like an F50, but with more retro-futuristic styling reminiscent of sports prototypes of the '60s and '70s, with or without a roof.

As you go up the model range, the redlines increase from a stratospheric 8,500 in the LS25, to a near-orbital 9,000 in the LS35, and finally a frankly outrageous 10,000 in the LS60 (shown here in Spider form). Their specific outputs (in bhp/liter) are 110, 114.286, and 125, respectively.

The reason I made the LS35 into a separate model line is because I realized that there was a huge gap between the LS25 and LS60, and so I created something from scratch (except for the engine) to fill it.

Interior comparison

LS25 (sports interior, standard CD player): Lightweight Alcantara everywhere with carbon-fiber trim - this example has yellow accents to match its pearlescent yellow exterior.

LS35 (premium or sports interior, premium CD player): Genuine leather and metal trim abounds (although customers can specify wood or Alcantara), providing a blend of comfort and functionality - here, it’s a two-tone red and cream color scheme to complement the red exterior.

LS60 (sports interior, premium CD player optional): Even more bare carbon everywhere, accompanied with Alcantara that can be ordered in a contrasting color at customer request.

It’s taken me a while to get all three of them together, but it was definitely worth the time and effort.

5 Likes

Probably the most beautiful 90s supercars i have ever seen. i would order the LS35 with the premium two-tone red and cream interior with alcantara.

1 Like

Sounds just about right to me! It’s a nice well-rounded supercar for its time, straddling the no-man’s-land between the light, compact sports car that is the LS25, and the money-no-object LS60, which is a true top-tier hypercar. As for the spec, all three are available in a very wide variety of exterior and interior colors and finishes, but these three colorways are among my personal favorites.

To give you an analogy, if LVC were Assoluto from Ridge Racer Vita, the LS25, LS35, and LS60 would be equivalent to the Promessa, Bisonte, and Fatalita, respectively. However, the LS60 is what the Fatalita’s closest competitor, the Soldat Raggio/Rauna, would have been had it existed in the 1990s and had more retro-inspired styling. Also, the LS35 is basically my take on a '90s interpretation of what the Raggio’s smaller sibling, the Meltfire, could have looked like. In any case, all three mid-engined LVCs have rounded, thalassic forms that would have fit right in with the design trends of the time.

Just for fun, I cloned the LS60 Spyder to create a fixed-roof Coupe variant, finished in bright gloss red with a red/black interior to honor what the LS25 looked like as originally submitted in QFC44:

More pics

As I’ve mentioned before, the Coupe, with its bubble-like glasshouse looks even more like a '90s interpretation of a '60s sports prototype than the Spider, but the latter, with its detachable soft top, is not that much heavier (by 9-10kg). And creating a Spider variant of the LS60 might encourage me to give the other two mid-engined LVCs the same treatment.

4 Likes

Three of my old supercars.

2 Likes

Rear View
Unfortunately blurry side view

The Koumori Brionac, one of the first cars I ever made in Automation, after I reimagined it from an mid-2000s entry level “sports” car to a mid 90s super.

3 Likes

2005 SVP Ravager

This is what my entry for CSR162 would’ve been if the client, Tim Richards, wanted something more track-focused akin to CSR74 (which I hosted); alas, his preference for a more road-focused offering scuppered that plan:

Built on an all-aluminum body/chassis and powered by a mid-mounted 430-bhp 4.0L normally-aspirated V10 that can rev to 8000 rpm, this track-ready supercar-lite (if such a term existed back then) weighs only 1195kg - enough for a 3.7-second 0-60 mph time and a 210-mph top speed, thanks to a race-inspired aero kit (lip/diffuser with undertray and spoiler) and a close-ratio 6-speed manual gearbox allied to a helical LSD.

Staggered high-performance tires wrapped around 18-inch (or 19-inch forged) alloy wheels help put all that power down, with large vented disc brakes providing fade-free stopping power, and 4-wheel dual-wishbone suspension tuned for a balanced blend of sportiness and comfort yields immense amounts of grip, with or without optional adjustable dampers.

The combination of a mid-mounted V10 and a lime-green exterior were a deliberate choice that reminds me of the CSR74 winner. With a nose reminiscent of the contemporary Ford GT, and an overall shape reminiscent of a shrunken supercar (in a good way!), it resembles a smaller version of something that would’ve been entered in QFC39.

Interior

Inside, customers have a choice of a plush premium interior with high-quality leather or (as shown here) a lighter sports interior trimmed in lightweight fabric, with a premium sound system and sat-nav as the standard in-car entertainment suite.

Customers have a wide variety of exterior and interior colors and finishes to choose from, allowing them to really express their tastes.

It’s a tight squeeze inside, owing to the Ravager’s small size (4.05m long/1.8m wide on a 2.45m wheelbase), but if you can fit inside it, you won’t be disappointed!

Whatever the spec, the Ravager delivers a visceral experience seldom found in most (but thankfully not all) cars from 20 years later.

6 Likes

Makes me happy that even though I am not involved in the automation community much anymore, a bit of my legacy continues in the form of this thread. So pleased to see it still going.

2 Likes

The 2024 Amolina Culebre, the companies first foray into the supercar market in almost 30 years. Please ignore the lack of wing mirrors, I forgot them.

Front view
Rear view

The first Amolina in almost 50 years to not be powered by an Amolina designed and built engine, the Culebre instead gets its power from a 5.1 litre V10 created by taking 2 2.4 litre inline 5’s from a cancelled entry level sports car by Koumori, boring them up to 2.55 and then connecting them with a custom built crankshaft. The resulting V10 hits 533 horsepower at 6800 RPM and drops a grand total of 16 horses on the way to its 8500 RPM redline. This gets the all wheel drive Culebre from 0-60 in just 3.3 seconds and keeps it going all the way to a top speed of 229 miles per hour - not bad for a car with an MSRP of just 45000.

3 Likes

2005 KMA K36

The SVP Ravager’s natural mid-engined rival, packing a 400-bhp 3.6-liter naturally aspirated V8 into an all-aluminum body and chassis weighing just 1.2 tons.

Both are available exclusively with 6-speed manual transmissions and have a helical LSD as standard, but the K36 is, for some reason, even more exciting to drive, despite a 30-bhp deficit. Its performance is generally similar to the Ravager’s, though.

This is my first attempt at a serious build based on any of the '09 Mako body sets, and it turned out quite well in the end.

Interior

The inside of the K36 is pared-back, but still with enough mod-cons for daily use - in keeping with its lightweight ethos.

Ravager vs. K36

Here are the Ravager and K36 battling it out on the road, showing the world that these pocket-sized supercars do indeed have full-sized performance figures, with a properly lightweight driving experience.

In short, the Ravager and K36 showed me that lighter, smaller, and more affordable junior supercars with enough performance to keep up with offerings from the next class up can be just as exciting as their more expensive brethren:

That would make for a refreshing antidote to today’s pointless obsession with insane power, price, and mass figures:

OK, so the Ravager and K36 have at least 400 horsepower between them, but they hailed from a time when many of their contemporaries had around 100 horsepower more, and also tended to weigh more (by 100-200kg or so), which made them seem overpowered and overweight in comparison to these two, so the article’s point is still valid in this context.

5 Likes

Started a campaign up, with a small plot of land, and a smaller loan of $100 million from my father, and decided to make a car company starting out with GT cars. Not super difficult though, is only 6x modifier.

This is actually a car that I saved from the campaign because it was going to be bad for the company but I didn’t want to get rid of. Is somewhat basic in terms of design language, but is the campaign so doesn’t matter.

Made by St Besald Ltd., the Avondale II Shooting Brake:

1 Like

2 Likes

A shooting break version whit more powered engine.

2 Likes

2005 WM Warrior SE

This would’ve been my CSR162 entry if I hadn’t submitted something else in its place beforehand. Although built on the same body set ('05 Mercy, 2.63m wheelbase fastback coupe), its shorter overhangs make it easier to place on the road. Also, I originally wanted to use an all-aluminum body/chassis combo, but cloning the whole car and switching to an AHS steel chassis with partial aluminum panels allowed me to use more of a $40k budget.

Power comes from an all-alloy, DOHC-per-bank, 32-valve 420-bhp 4.0L naturally aspirated V8 driving the rear wheels via a 6-speed manual gearbox and helical LSD, while 4-wheel all-independent suspension (dual-wishbone front and a multilink rear) incorporates semi-active dampers and active sway bars for a smooth yet involving drive in all road conditions.

With large ABS-assisted disc brakes behind each 19-inch alloy wheel, wrapped in staggered high-performance tires (245mm front/265mm rear), the Warrior’s tenacity in corners and under braking matches its straight-line performance - 0-60 mph in 4.1 seconds and a top speed of 186 mph, along with a 200m skidpad figure of over 1g, are truly world class numbers for its time.

A high-quality premium interior and stereo sound system (plus sat-nav), combined with six airbags and electronic stability/traction control (both of which are fully defeatable if/when necessary) ensure that both occupants enjoy a level of comfort and safety that is more than acceptable for daily use.

csr162tpa

With hindsight, though, it would still have had a tough time breaking into the top 10, but it would’ve been a lot closer to the threshold, especially after tweaking the techpool distribution by using the values shown above - resulting in the stat boosts shown below.

Combined with swapping from all-aluminum construction to an AHS steel/partial aluminum combo for this platform, the resulting cash savings allowed me to invest additional quality points elsewhere; trading some unnecessary reliability points for more budget headroom by dialing back the weight optimization slider to 50 also helped.

This car also comes equipped with hidden first-person BeamNG camera fixtures (set to transparent) - a handy feature for Beam testing if a first-person viewpoint is required.

Update (30/07/24, 10:20 pm UTC+7): After upgrading to a full luxury interior and satnav (but without altering the car’s aesthetics in any way), I scaled back some of the quality cheese to stay at or under $40k:

It hasn’t lost too much of its sportiness, though, and gained even more prestige and comfort in the process. Aesthetically, it remains unchanged, with the exception of woodgrain (instead of aluminum or alcantara) interior trim accents, along with a different set of wheel fixtures and interior door handles.

In short, although it’s more of a grand tourer than before, it’s still a true sports car at heart.

3 Likes

It’s Technically a supercar. I think it’d be more apt to call it a hot wheels car, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

5 Likes

I need to do something therapeutic with my (rather limited) spare time at the moment so I thought that starting on a car project for automation would be fun. It only has a front end at the moment but I will add further images as the car gets completed.

8 Likes

reminds me of a real hot wheels car called scoopa di fuego

2005 KMA K310

A whole bunch of variants based on the same mid-engined all-carbon fiber platform, with power outputs ranging from a tepid 60 bhp to a scorching 189 bhp, all from a 1.0L naturally aspirated inline-three.

Model range, left to right:

• XLE: 60bhp engine, open diff, 14in forged wheels, hard long-life tires, and 5spd manual gearbox. Base model with maximum focus on economy - over 80mpg (US) if driven gently.

• XLP: 100bhp engine, viscous LSD and 15in wheels. A decent blend of performance and economy (75mpg US), but still a flyweight among sports cars at 575kg.

• XLS: 110bhp engine, sports compound tires, 6spd manual gearbox and helical LSD. More performance-oriented, but still capable of 66.6mpg (US). Also submitted for CSR163.

• XLC: Identical to XLS, but with CD player and all electronic driving aids (ABS, SC/TC) omitted for less weight (515kg) and a more stripped-back experience.

• XLT: Road-going version of the XLR (below), with a 145bhp engine and provision for semi-slick tires. Standard equipment is identical to that of the XLC - in other words, not much at all.

• XLR: Track-only version built for maximum performance on a circuit, with a 189bhp engine and sub-500kg kerb weight (if passenger seat is removed). Suspension and brakes are retuned for racing tires.

Production was limited to 1000 units between 2005 and 2010, but the range proved that a small mid-engined sports car with a low-displacement engine, very low weight, and a focus on economy (even if it wasn’t a hybrid) could still be fun to drive.

4 Likes

The 1996 ETR Veloture. Designed for beauty, engineered to make history.

EXR GTR_________________________________Voyage_____________Crossrunner

Fastest street legal production car record: Broken at 405 km/h - 251 mph (voyage)
First car in the world to reach 400 km/h: done (voyage), sorry veyron
Fastest lap around the nordschleife (tested in beamng with a track mod): done (exr gtr)
Most powerful N/A engine ever: done, sorry mclaren
^^All these records are compared to the irl records from the year 1996^^

The Veloture Hypercar comes in 3 configurations. The GT/Hypercar variant Voyage, which is the speed record breaking one. The Track variant EXR GTR, the one to break the nordschleife lap record. And the Rally variant with a full 4x4 system, Crossrunner.
All 3 configs feature the same engine, an NA 6.0 V12 with 760hp and 740nm of torque. With alot of changes made to the rest of the cars according to their class. The race versions get a 6g sequential gearbox while the voyage gets a 6g manual. The race versions are street legal aswell, but barely.

They all come with pretty detailed interiors, I’ve tried to do my best with those parts but the mod body is not really meant for having an interior so it does have some issues with interior parts. Which are again, mod parts.

Here is a video edit of the voyage with music in the background (file too big for attachment):

I spent an unhealthy amount of time making this car. Hope yall like it. Veloture is my first supercar in this game, I’d say I did pretty good for a first time. Going to be uploading this to reddit aswell.

:).

1 Like

Well that is long ago first time playes Automation in lauch april 2012.

New at your local Dealer!

Some Eco Sport cars fresh summer deal. Get two for one.

Let me introduce to the Florori Agulius Ult(r)a Speedio. Sometimes you need power and some speed. This one drives actually quit nice.

One cons is the heavy vibration and angry neightbours when starting, so better parked a couple streets away from your home

Or from the Speed supplier new old stock. The SPE Godness version 2. Becarefull ride it with light foot, can make wheelie still in 4th gear.
It is a little bit tirtier than the Florori.

(Little disclamer: need every year or 2000 miles a fresh new engine. Rebore is not possible)…

1 Like

The frontal air intakes appear to be mounted too low in my opinion, but it still looks period-correct to me.

@Lastgameking those builds may be the result of +15 quality spam everywhere - but getting anything to even approach 400 mph is still a massive achievement.