Sports/Supercar Design Thread

2007 Honda NSX-R GT1 Road Car

What if Honda built a homologated GT1 car.

10 Likes

It’s barely recognizable as an NSX (specifically, the later NA2), but the idea is sound. And from what I’ve seen so far, you used one of the '80 Group C body sets and disguised it with 3D fixtures to get the desired shape.

Dead thread

Such insight

1 Like

Not yet - at least, not if I have anything to say about it. Here’s a test mule I cooked up to prove the viability of QFC41, and also to answer the question that’s been on my mind ever since I started work on it: “What would I have submitted for QFC41 if I’d been an entrant instead of the host?”

This would have been my most likely option - a 100bhp mid-engined sports coupe weighing just 750kg, powered by an all-alloy 1.6L DOHC 8v fuel-injected I4. It sits right on the $15k budget cap (no doubt due to generous use of quality points in key areas, such as the engine, though this is mainly for reliability), but I reckon our client would still have gotten a lot for his money if he’d picked it over the rest.

1 Like

That looks nicee, it also kinda reminds me of the Lotus Carlton

1 Like

Hey look, it’s my profile header (2024 Atlas Lightning)

It’s a very fast

2 Likes

1922 Ventnor Series II Speedster

Also very fast, though by early 1920s standards.

6 Likes

1995 LVC LS25

Adapted from earlier versions for QFC44.

Extra pics

Unlike earlier versions, this one runs a 250bhp 2.5L flat-six - which I feel is just about right for this car’s size.

5 Likes

1995 Wells Sidewinder Anniversary Edition and Sidewinder SS

The front marker light has major issues showing up on the red car in photo mode, I give up.

3 Likes

Looks pretty

2 Likes

The beautiful design reminds me of the VEMAC RD180 hardcore lightweight sports car

True. The LS25 pre-dates the Vemac by a full half-decade, though.

Thank-you

I decided to give the entire '95 mid-engined LVC range a once-over - it now has three distinct models: the entry-level LS25 (yellow, 275-bhp 2.5L flat-six), the mid-range LS35 (red, 400-bhp 3.5L flat-crank V8), and the LS60 (blue, 500-bhp 4.0L V12).

The LS25 now has an aluminum body (the original fiberglass-bodied version turned out to be too light), and the LS35 is now a completely separate model line, built on an entirely different body set (specifically, the '95 Outrun in MR configuration) and sandwiched between the LS25 and LS60.

If the LS25 is akin to a '90s interpretation of the Dino 206/246, six-cylinder engine and all, the LS35 is roughly equivalent to an F355/360, while the LS60 is more like an F50, but with more retro-futuristic styling reminiscent of sports prototypes of the '60s and '70s, with or without a roof.

As you go up the model range, the redlines increase from a stratospheric 8,500 in the LS25, to a near-orbital 9,000 in the LS35, and finally a frankly outrageous 10,000 in the LS60 (shown here in Spider form). Their specific outputs (in bhp/liter) are 110, 114.286, and 125, respectively.

The reason I made the LS35 into a separate model line is because I realized that there was a huge gap between the LS25 and LS60, and so I created something from scratch (except for the engine) to fill it.

Interior comparison

LS25 (sports interior, standard CD player): Lightweight Alcantara everywhere with carbon-fiber trim - this example has yellow accents to match its pearlescent yellow exterior.

LS35 (premium or sports interior, premium CD player): Genuine leather and metal trim abounds (although customers can specify wood or Alcantara), providing a blend of comfort and functionality - here, it’s a two-tone red and cream color scheme to complement the red exterior.

LS60 (sports interior, premium CD player optional): Even more bare carbon everywhere, accompanied with Alcantara that can be ordered in a contrasting color at customer request.

It’s taken me a while to get all three of them together, but it was definitely worth the time and effort.

4 Likes

Probably the most beautiful 90s supercars i have ever seen. i would order the LS35 with the premium two-tone red and cream interior with alcantara.

1 Like

Sounds just about right to me! It’s a nice well-rounded supercar for its time, straddling the no-man’s-land between the light, compact sports car that is the LS25, and the money-no-object LS60, which is a true top-tier hypercar. As for the spec, all three are available in a very wide variety of exterior and interior colors and finishes, but these three colorways are among my personal favorites.

To give you an analogy, if LVC were Assoluto from Ridge Racer Vita, the LS25, LS35, and LS60 would be equivalent to the Promessa, Bisonte, and Fatalita, respectively. However, the LS60 is what the Fatalita’s closest competitor, the Soldat Raggio/Rauna, would have been had it existed in the 1990s and had more retro-inspired styling. Also, the LS35 is basically my take on a '90s interpretation of what the Raggio’s smaller sibling, the Meltfire, could have looked like. In any case, all three mid-engined LVCs have rounded, thalassic forms that would have fit right in with the design trends of the time.

Just for fun, I cloned the LS60 Spyder to create a fixed-roof Coupe variant, finished in bright gloss red with a red/black interior to honor what the LS25 looked like as originally submitted in QFC44:

More pics

As I’ve mentioned before, the Coupe, with its bubble-like glasshouse looks even more like a '90s interpretation of a '60s sports prototype than the Spider, but the latter, with its detachable soft top, is not that much heavier (by 9-10kg). And creating a Spider variant of the LS60 might encourage me to give the other two mid-engined LVCs the same treatment.

4 Likes

Three of my old supercars.

2 Likes

Rear View
Unfortunately blurry side view

The Koumori Brionac, one of the first cars I ever made in Automation, after I reimagined it from an mid-2000s entry level “sports” car to a mid 90s super.

3 Likes

2005 SVP Ravager

This is what my entry for CSR162 would’ve been if the client, Tim Richards, wanted something more track-focused akin to CSR74 (which I hosted); alas, his preference for a more road-focused offering scuppered that plan:

Built on an all-aluminum body/chassis and powered by a mid-mounted 430-bhp 4.0L normally-aspirated V10 that can rev to 8000 rpm, this track-ready supercar-lite (if such a term existed back then) weighs only 1195kg - enough for a 3.7-second 0-60 mph time and a 210-mph top speed, thanks to a race-inspired aero kit (lip/diffuser with undertray and spoiler) and a close-ratio 6-speed manual gearbox allied to a helical LSD.

Staggered high-performance tires wrapped around 18-inch (or 19-inch forged) alloy wheels help put all that power down, with large vented disc brakes providing fade-free stopping power, and 4-wheel dual-wishbone suspension tuned for a balanced blend of sportiness and comfort yields immense amounts of grip, with or without optional adjustable dampers.

The combination of a mid-mounted V10 and a lime-green exterior were a deliberate choice that reminds me of the CSR74 winner. With a nose reminiscent of the contemporary Ford GT, and an overall shape reminiscent of a shrunken supercar (in a good way!), it resembles a smaller version of something that would’ve been entered in QFC39.

Interior

Inside, customers have a choice of a plush premium interior with high-quality leather or (as shown here) a lighter sports interior trimmed in lightweight fabric, with a premium sound system and sat-nav as the standard in-car entertainment suite.

Customers have a wide variety of exterior and interior colors and finishes to choose from, allowing them to really express their tastes.

It’s a tight squeeze inside, owing to the Ravager’s small size (4.05m long/1.8m wide on a 2.45m wheelbase), but if you can fit inside it, you won’t be disappointed!

Whatever the spec, the Ravager delivers a visceral experience seldom found in most (but thankfully not all) cars from 20 years later.

6 Likes