CSR 163 - Spontaneous Tomfoolery, Begin! [FINALS RELEASED]

In fact, the base body set isn’t even recognizable to me either. So what exactly did they use? Answers on a postcard… Sorry, I meant a reply.

It uses the Evade C1 variant underneath. I can attest on the quality of this design, it was an honor to handle the engineering on this amazing car!

The large powerful front NA introduced a ton of issues on such a lightweight platform. I see you quickly saw the side effect of that. I was a bit worried about them but hey, it’s a concept car, it can be a bit crazy :wink: Glad the overall package was well received.

Again, such and incredible car, and the fact the interior looks like that is still amazing to me. This is our CSR136 revenge.

7 Likes

In retrospect, that’s no surprise; the '92 Evade coupe (including the notchback C1 variant you used) lends itself well to the kind of wheel and tire fitment you were looking for. But what wheelbase specifically? My guess is that it’s either the 2.52m wheelbase variant (the second-smallest one), or the 2.65m wheelbase variant (the second-largest one).

Great job man, it was a huge pleasure to get to work with you again :saluting_face:

The bodywork was helped a bit by working on a body I made, it’s the 2.5.

9 Likes

F1f07ALWAAIVRhM
peak writing

7 Likes

images - 2024-10-08T015011.391

13 Likes

The CSR verse is crazy

REVIEWS Pt. 7 & Finals

Bradford Stargazer Esperance by @yurimacs & @That-S-cop

This is probably the only other entry that holds a candle to the Panamerica in terms of sheer bodywork and fixture insanity. Very well thought out 3D build with an insane amount of detail and the design is pretty decent and realistic. It’s not just another attempt at a tough utility van, this one dared to be different and did a splendid job of it.

This is a straight up wildcard by the way. Oversized fog lights, aggressive rally fascia, strong aerodynamic lines, glass roof on two ends that extend all the way from the front to the back, everything about it just stands out. The stargazer name is a well deserved one by this van, considering they went as far as designing the roof rack in a way so that it doesn’t get in the way of the view. The interior is reflective of lifestyle choices too, letting the middle row seat to be configured like a captain’s chair, or a “lounge couch” as they called it.

Very likeable design and commendable effort at making all this work.

Just like most of the top finishing entries that rely full tilt on their visual quirks, insane detailing on the interior.

Due to their partnership and offroad package offered by Comet Bar, it comes with a dealership kit that includes Roof racks, nudge bar, side steps, towbar, and some beefy off-road tires. It doesn’t just look rugged, it’s built for the job. It’s also a lifestyle statement, coming with very high end materials used for the interior with top of the line CD changer, speaker and cassette deck setup and a rudimentary central control system that was still ahead of its time.

Under the hood is a turbocharged 2-liter 4-cylinder that pumps out a pretty solid 275 horsepower. This thing’s got torque for days, too, with 454 Nm kicking in at 3100 rpm. Best of all, despite 4x4 drivetrain with a manual locker and a 5spd AAT that are obviously causing drivetrain power loss, it can push this 1820 kg beast from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.8 seconds. That’s near sports car territory for something this size.

The engine is extremely overbuilt and overengineered in many different ways, and goes to drastic measures to make sure the engine lasts a long time in high stress situations, including high end machined engine internals and a balance shaft of 21kg, resulting in this small turbo 4 cylinder to have unmatched smoothness and reliability for its class. All this, while still delivering a decent 10L/100km fuel economy? It’s a rare balance between power and efficiency that’s hard to pull off in a vehicle like this.

The steering is hydraulic recirculating ball, making it feel right at home both on and off the road for an optimal driving experience. And safety? Ahead of its time. TC, ABS, you name it. Bradford didn’t cut corners in that department.

The underpinnings are properly executed too. The partial aluminum panels with the corrosion-resistant steel ladder chassis, and the sophisticated double-wishbone suspension upfront with solid coil axles in the rear all come together in harmony. It’s solid, it’s reliable, and it’s comfortable—a rare combo in this segment.

This would’ve been a great surprise hit in the market. Yes, Bradford is a quite upmarket brand with high end sportscars and rally heritage. But with a more toned down approach towards a market looking for practicality, ruggedness and adventure in life while wanting to do it in a cushy, comfy but bulletproof reliable cruiser/camper, this thing would’ve been the go to choice. It has the DNA of a rally car, a very plush interior, real off road capability, robust construction resulting in near perfect track record of reliability and minimal service costs for its internals, it is just the perfect package one could ask for. The sticker price and the used price might be a bit high, but considering this has been a clean sweep from all perspectives and judging POV, I strongly believe the Bradford deserves a place up there.

Choice quote from Jazz:

“… I may just have found my perfect camper van. I don’t care if we make this our winner, I’m buying it anyway.”

Verdict: :white_check_mark:

Warren Brigantine Sublime by @Texaslav & @debonair0806

I will start out by saying, this car is all show and no go in the best way possible. And the now defunct Warren brand very proudly wore this identity too, as time didn’t stand for their vision of automobile. Still a phenomenal piece of design.

This 1993 example is the peak manifestation of American PLVs, with both flamboyant and muscular styling, extremely plush hand made leather interior with top of the line speakers, high end CD stacker and a cassette deck well ahead of its time, and a engine that can barely allow the car to take off at a pace that can be described as “leisurely” at best.

The car features a very aerodynamic shape with minimal fucks given about efficient usage of space. Both front and rears feature an excessive amount of overhang to show exuberance. The rear taillights are reminiscent of the classic PLVs of the bygone era. Meanwhile, the front features a mixture of skinny catfish lights with pop-up primary headlights and a fascia that emulates the looks of the target demographic of such a vehicle.

The interior is very carefully designed and maintains a very clean and modern look with its digidash and European style trip computer. Everything in here is just lathered in peak luxury. Where most companies around this time were trying to make their cockpits as driver engaging as possible, Warren was trying to make theirs effectively a highly sophisticated sofa.

And here’s the kicker, the sophisticated sofa underneath is a design that’s as old as Bill Hader. The platform technically exists from 1988, but the actual history goes so much further than that, according to the lore. It’s a very tried and true formula from Arlington’s history, longi-FWD with a semi trailing arm rear suspension, steel ladder chassis, big overdrive gearing on the 4spd electric auto… I can keep going. The modern era did allow it to have extra goodies like ABS, air suspension with adaptive dampers and what not. Not the most boatiest car by the way, odd I know. I’ve seen piggier cars this round of CSR and this actually drives pretty decent all things considered.

Engine is barely anything to write about like the mechanicals, 90 degree pushrod V6 with 4 barrel single carb and a very choked setup barely letting the engine produce 156 horsepower. Would it be possible to squeeze more horsepower out of this ancient piece of technology from 1977? Absolutely. Did Warren give a flying fuck? Nope. It didn’t matter.

I never saw eye to eye with extremely boaty American PLVs. They prioritized insanely plushy ride and basically zero worries about power, and even when there was power it was only good for straight line speeds. I never grew too fond of these vehicles.

The Brigantine is different though. I don’t know if it’s because of how it looks, how it packages itself overall, how it essentially manages to be a palace on wheels for the people sitting inside while being a PLV, the fact that it isn’t prone to breaking down despite having pretty advanced tech and not needing a ton of upkeep… I honestly don’t know. What I do know is that it has personality, and as much as I would like to tell myself I wouldn’t enjoy having something like this around me, I’d be blatantly lying to myself.

It’s such a good looker, every time I look at it I can’t help but find a sort of peace and security in it. It knows what it is and it doesn’t need or want to prove itself, those who recognize its merits will be rewarded by it.

Choice quote from Jazz:

“I have never felt this conflicted in my life. It’s the antithesis to the kind of cars I like, yet here I am sending a DM to the seller…”

PS: I’m binning specifically @Texaslav

Kamaka Tropical Lounge Concept by @LS_Swapped_Rx-7

I am quite speechless, frankly speaking. I don’t know what ingredients were used to cook this blast from the past lookin’ ass minibus, but I can confirm you cooked really fuckin hard. Holy shit I did not expect anything like this.

This car is purely aesthetic, and the aesthetics are so strong that it has managed to pull this car entirely through that all the way up to the finals. I could barely even tell this was the HiAce body due to the symmetry on both ends. And the symmetry is pretty damn accurate, which confused me even more. The whole mid 2000s transparent teal/lime look was basically the main inspiration behind the design obviously, but I’m just surprised by how authentic it looks. Mega job honestly.

Lots of effort went into creating this interior I can tell. It might look simplistic, but the texture and shaping work went into visualizing this must not have been easy. This is the kinda shit Japanese automakers would pull outta their ass around this time with the highly adjustable seats and the screen that turns into a table.

The side profile is a piece of art too. This car does a fabulous job of making it look like it’s a very basic design, but on closer inspection it clearly reveals the sort of 3D fuckery that has been done to make this look as realistic and seamless as possible.

Can’t really type jack shit about the mechanicals honestly, don’t care. Like what do y’all want from me? It makes 110 horsepower and goes to 100 km/h in 11.4s, a tenth slower than the Brig above. The main attractions were the obvious high end hardware found in it like top of the line and well ahead of time seats and infotainment system unlike ever seen before, air suspensions with active sway bars that would balance out any ride flaws, a drive by wire system with ESC (fuck knows why it needs that???). At 1.3 tons I’m actually surprised you managed to even get it this heavy considering it’s made out of fiberglass, probably the body selection and some other spec choices are causing it.

Anyway I’m still kinda awestruck by this, I remember submitting an ugly duckling in your classic CSR once, I expected something similar in revenge. But this is arguably one of the best entries I’ve had in a while in any challenges solely because of the concept it has executed so perfectly. Once again, mega job.

Choice quote from Jazz:

“There’s a lot of promise in this one. I’m sure I can figure something out with the internals, or the engine at the bare minimum. Worth a try.”

Batshit insane. Batshit fucking insane for 1992. I can tell specifically how many lines of cocaine were snorted before coming up with the aesthetic and mechanical design of this car.

This is a true flagship. A halo car. Tristella probably couldn’t give a single toss about how much money was being pissed into R&D, how much they would lose for selling one of these at MSRP, how much they’d have to make up for making something like this in the future. All they cared about their perfect flagship that signified everything they are as a company, and it shows so well.

We have advanced AHS steel sturdy monocoque chassis with fully carbon fiber panels for the body, with the engine sitting in the middle. Obvious suspension choice were pushrods for maximum performance and weight reduction/compactness.

The slightly undersquare 5.2L V12 had a block made out of super lightweight AlSi material, very ahead of its time while keeping an aluminum head, presumably to stop the production costs raising even further. MPEFI with twin throttle bodies, high performance headers, fuel mapping rich enough to shoot flames out the exhaust without modifications, long headers and and dual straight through mufflers gave this car a uniquely distinct engine note that was throaty, growly and terrifying to listen to if you heard it coming from the back while driving. Peak Italian V12 could not be described any better than this, at least for those times. It is ruthlessly powerful, to the point its 500 horsepower figure is enough to stress out the engine due to producing too much power, and there’s an ever so slight indication of a knock. Honestly, this just adds character. What’s an Italian V12 without being at the cusp of shitting itself? Not that it already hasn’t

This would’ve also been Tristella’s first AWD system powered car. It didn’t quite behave like a geared AWD system but rather it only sent power to all wheels whenever traction was required. Still, pretty advanced for 1992 regardless. And it shows considering it being paired with the 5spd AAT and a helical LSD system bolted the car to 100 km/h in 3.96 seconds exact. For back then, this was an actual rocket ship. What’s further baffling is how much active/computational technology this was packing. It had an active wing system, active cooling flaps for dynamic cooling, and a completely bleeding edge active sport suspension system with semi-active dampers for absolute handling mastery. This came out of the factory straight up as a grip master.

This also meant reliability was absolutely piss poor, sure. Who gives a shit? Not the owners for sure. For all they know, car needs fixing, they’ll pay whatever to keep their nice little toy running so they can keep going on their joyrides. The springs have been tuned very meticulously for a tight and hunkered down ride, but because of it’s tight near 50/50 weight distribution and balance, it still offers a very comfortable and easy to drive ride. Generally, Italian supercars with questionable build quality would want to kill you. They were called widowmakers for a reason, clearly this one actually doesn’t try to actively kill the owner. It actually had an early adaptation of ESC to control 500 horsepower going straight to the wheels.

The car was also a hardtop, as in it was able to fold its roof into its body in under 5 seconds. But, on top of that, as if that wasn’t enough, it could also slide the doors in and out vertically for entrance. No, the doors didn’t open outwards or open vertically, they slid into the body vertically. Absolutely bonkers concept.

Unfortunately, all this did mean fattening of the car. At 1.6 tons, this was not really beating any of its competitors around the track. The straight line speed was impressive, but a 1.04g of cornering with active aerodynamics and a pricetag as high as it had, it was hardly any impressive. It was superbly plush, very easy to drive, and while the driving feel was clearly on the sportier end, it wasn’t as primal as someone would’ve hoped it to be. Clearly, the vision of building the ultimate supercar turned out to become more of a luxury super tourer. And that’s fine. This is why halo cars and concept cars are important. You learn from your mistakes as a company and you figure out what went wrong, go back to the drawing board to come up with your next success story. You get over the failure. The lore suggests Pavonini’s successor Noctua was a strong contender in the GT-1 segment of race cars for years. Had the Pavonini not been developed in the first place, we wouldn’t have had the success of the Noctua.

And that’s the charm of the Pavonini. As corny as it may sound, it walked so the Noctua and its further successors could run and make a name for Tristella in the world of high performance beautiful vehicles. It might not have been the first time success story they might’ve hoped for, and it might’ve been quite the unreliable piece of shit, but it attempted to break conventions and bounds when no one else tried to. Can’t put a pricetag on that. You can and it’s only $20,000. Chump change for a collector.

Choice quote from Jazz:

“What a simplistic yet beautiful design. Not a single unnecessary line, and a conviction to make a name for itself. It’s almost as if it can speak. I might want to have a look at this for my collection.”

ひゆうんざり Quartz Castella GTZ by @Portalkat42 & @chiefzach2018

Comedy gold. Absolute comedy gold. And not in a bad way. I know these last few entries that I’ve saved are the peak of what this community can offer. But this just has some secret sauce that I haven’t seen from other entries.

Get this, aluminum and AHS construction with FR 6spd DCT and Helical LSD setup, right? Double wishbones all around, right? AlSi block/head 4.3L V8 and all forged internals, (basically a creative copy of the 3UZ, man of culture) right? Usage of VVT and VVL which add more weight to the engine, right? ITBs for each cylinder, long headers and twin reverse flow mufflers, right? Quality usage in places where weight increases, along with 295 rear tyres and all alloy wheels, right? …

HEY! WAKE UP

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU GOT BORED?

Do you not see? This car doesn’t really have any parts that particularly make it out to be as a lightweight piece of vehicle. It’s all pretty standard sportscar engineering with some weight saving measures here and there. Until you look closer. See if I asked you to guess the kerb weight of the car right now, your guess would be 1300-1400 kg ish.

Haha what’s that? Nope

It’s 1070 kilos.

This is one of the few builds that I’ve seen where the weight saving was only done where it was necessary while not sacrificing modern driving tech and amenities perchance that might ruin the performance and the driving experience. See, for every relatively heavy piece of hardware was chosen during the engineering phase, they offset it by getting rid of unnecessary elements that they’d not need.

Who needs them heated seats with electronic controls and Sony CD players with booming woofers? This is supposed to go on the fucking track and beat the shit out of all those supercars that are twice as expensive. Adding power steering adds weight, so don’t add it??? As long as you can manage to keep the weight around a ton, she’ll be right. Safety? Fuck safety. That’s all you need. Fuck your active suspension too, best you’re gonna get is semi-active dampers because computation is for wusses. Why let the computer do the tuning when you can dial it to the perfect spring tuning, the only one it needs for its usecase. Fuck your versatile, do everything-mobile. We goin’ ballsy with this bitch.

This thing just straigiht up rips everything else apart in terms of what it can do. Its main quirk is to look like the way it does and then gap everything that’s on the track. And it does it so phenomenally. That 4.3 V8 makes 501 crisp horsepower and all of it goes straight to the rear wheels through a 6spd DCT and a helical LSD. 0-100 km/h time is an eye watering 3.39 seconds in 2010, in a car that costs a fraction of the costs of supercars. Low speed cornering is standing at 1.27g, meanwhile high speed cornering performance remains at a painful 1.65g. Know that thing Porsche likes to claim? So fast that it fucking hurts? This is it. This would feel like a fighter on a race track.

I haven’t been able to talk about its looks. The Hiyunzari Quartz that it is built on is still very much present, but it has gained many features on top of it. Very aggressive lip and diffuser kits, side mounted horizontally stacked quad exhausts, balls to the walls cooling vents to keep the brakes as cold as possible, rear curve GT style wing that’s ALREADY sitting on top of a massive whale tail, canards and what not. The whole paint scheme of red accents on black on silver gives the car a very strong and subtle look that hints at what it can do once unleashed.

The interior is beautiful as spec’d and I wouldn’t have it any other way. This is peak track-daily design and I enjoy every bit of it. 2010 wished it had something as cool as this from the outside and the inside.

I thought some of the previous cars left me speechless but this one has just done the opposite. This has got me yapping like a mad man and I don’t know how to feel about it. It’s not just because it’s an insanely fast car that can go ring a round a roses around some stupid circuit, any car could’ve done that. Any car wouldn’t be available in this package, though. Or in this form, or this sort of engineering ingenuity.

Choice quote from Jazz:

“So how much did I need to pay in order to just buy the car out instead of waiting for the auction?”

Verdict: Take a wild guess.

Final Standings:

Bear with me, this round was very different from any other rounds. It was challenging to clearly rank the cars when everyone genuinely did such an amazing job and had great proposals. There will be the most amount of ties in this round that’s for sure.

10: Corsica Spica tied with Archer Vista RS

Both very capable vans, very strong contenders for the the challenge. Unfortunately, where they both fell flat was sacrificing at least one aspect of the judging criteria, be it due to lore or realism reasons. The Corsica had the looks down to the T while the Archer killed it in terms of performance. In case of a hosting duty pass down, @vero94773 gets priority over @CorsicaUnknown .

9: Mizuiro Seigun MR-Spec tied with Oni Tachi 200

Both very similar cars fundamentally, but with completely different goals and ambitions. And while sentimentally speaking, the Mizuiro is clearly the champion for its will to be the ultimate driving machine, the Oni holds up strong for achieving its goals for being an insanely economical sportscar with a comically high top speed for power. In case of a hosting duty pass down, @Riley gets priority over @The_Stig_Is_A_Spy .

8: Revven Tornos 3.7 ZL AWD tied with Warren Brigantine Sublime

Two completely different cars at different ends of the spectrum. Why are they tied together? One could say the Revven was supposed to be yet another minivan for a deadbeat father, yet it scorches past some of the other fast entries in this round. Meanwhile the Warren manages to look like a peak luxury muscle car while moving at a pace slower than a moped. However, they both have their own characters, quirks and personalities that have landed them in this position. Due to an insane amount of swagger it generates, creators of the Warren @Texaslav and @debonair0806 get priority over @DoesStuff

7: Paluthena Sedan Landau @Knugcab

Great attempt at one of the most controversial types of retromodern car design. As ugly as you may think it is, it definitely is up there with some of the cleanest automation builds. I dub the Paluthena a resounding success.

6: Sora S6 Typhoon @66mazda

Amongst the sea of really ambitious and weird rides, this one might stick out as a relatively normal one. Rest assured, a package this complete and well rounded off is quite a hard task in a limited budget with different limiting factors working hard against you, and this is the only entry that managed to balance everything just perfectly.

5: Kamaka Tropical Lounge Concept tied with Armor A-20 Brute

It’s the concept bougie bus vs the utilitarian amphi military truck. Two very simple but well executed concepts that managed to make me realize how simple of an idea you need to come up with concepts that seem so genius. In case of a hosting duty pass down, @LS_Swapped_Rx-7 gets priority over @GassTiresandOil

4: Bradford Stargazer Esperance @yurimacs @That-S-cop

Peak van. Peak Mitsubishi Delica enjoyer behavior. I knew you two were cooking together but I didn’t know the results would be this fine. Absolute chef’s kiss.

3: Tiburon Panamerica @Kyorg @karhgath

By far the best looking strangely unique but beautiful car in this round. Looks absolutely like nothing else, like ever and it sits tall on its throne of originality. Mega job by both the engineer and the designer for making this work and coming up with a package so well done.

2: Tristella Pavonini @Xepy @kookie

The Peacock might’ve been considered a failure back in its day, today it will be appreciated by many for pioneering so many of the technologies that are available in today’s cars. Design was undoubtedly well done, but what was also impressive was cramming all that technology in while also making this a lucrative catch by giving it historical value.

1: ひゆうんざり Quartz Castella GTZ @Portalkat42 @chiefzach2018

Borderline unhinged, but in the most controlled way possible. Checks out all of my criteria of being aesthetically, engineering-wise and lore-wise quirky as fuck. Phenomenal approach and execution, and a well deserved victory by you two.

freddy-fazbear-five-nights-at-freddys

H̸̳̝̤̋͐͂e̸̮̯͂̈́͝ ̶͔̲͎̮̈́ l̶̪̜̮̏ǘ̶͓r̵̝͍͍͑̃ͅḵ̵̔è̵̦͚̟̾̉͜t̷͖̙̺̘͋̾̌̕h̷̨̼͙̆̾͋̌

And on that bombshell, I’m signing off. Thanks to everyone for their patience and their trust in me pretty sure I’ve lost all of it at this point. But anyway, I’ll be mindful of not hosting any challenges when I know shit is about to go down.

But for now, Good night fucknuggets!

35 Likes

Eh. With a CSR this amazing, who cares if it has taken some time. It’s not that it has been standing still with no progress or something. I fully trust you even after this TBH.

8 Likes

Fantastic round overall big congrats to everyone who made it to the finals. Really polished builds all round, makes me think I should’ve collabed :stuck_out_tongue: maybe for the next one depending on what the theme is. I can’t wait!
what I mean is hurry the fuck up no stalling lets get going with the next round already

7 Likes

Yoo congrats to the winner but holy shit there’s just been so many cool entries for this CSR low key reminds me of those old top gear challenges with this format.
i mean kiryu taxi car ftw!!!

4 Likes

Sleep with one eye open tonight. (Congratulations to the winner and all the other finalists and thank you Wrekt for an amazing round!)

10 Likes

That was an amazing round, one of the best challenges I’ve taken part in. A lot of really cool entries and very good reviews for all of them.

Congratulations to the winners and thank you for hosting.

6 Likes

Going from bins and early eliminations in CSR to finals (next to Texaslav and debonair!) in a tight competition with amazing cars is absolutely wild to me, paired with the great review writing and seeing how you were torn between choices lol… great round, GetWrekt. Congrats to Portalkat and Zach.

7 Likes

What a crazy CSR this turned out to be (for all the right reasons)! That Quartz deserved its (close) win, but every other top-10 finisher made a very strong case for themselves. Props to whoever made it for creating a lightweight purist monster out of what I think is based on the '83 Bean body, with a 2.27m wheelbase (as I’m assuming from the shape of that glasshouse). In terms of ethos, it’s antithetical to the second-placed Tristella in that its analog, razor-sharp feel (and retro-modern styling) harkens back to a wilder, simpler past, while the Tristella’s futuristic, streamlined shape looked forward to a more technologically advanced (if far more complex) future.

By the way, if I’m not mistaken, that Pavonini appears to be built on the '98 Stradale (~2.6m wheelbase) body set, with an automatic retractable hardtop for good measure (as the lore states) - an option made possible by choosing the hardtop convertible/targa variant.

1 Like

Not sure what the in game name was but the Pavonini is on the Murcielago body actually - most of the top of the car is custom and the bottom used some of the more extreme morphs it has plus molding.

1 Like

This was an awesome round! Congrats to the winner on a very well-deserved every. I’m honestly just proud that my amphi-jeep made it as far as it did.

5 Likes

As far as I know it’s called the '95 Super Wedge (~2.6m wheelbase) in-game - that may explain why its windscreen can be very steeply raked back.

Toughest competition out of all CSRs, maybe of all time. Congratulations to everyone who participated, congrats to Portalkat and Chiefzach for coming out on top, and cheers to GetWrekt for a masterclass of a Car Shopping Round

I am surprised the Stargazer got this far, considering the competition we’ve faced but I am sure it has earned its recognition as a do-it-all sports offroader van thing.

9 Likes

Congrats to all the entries and for @GetWrekt01 for hosting this challenge. The amount of variety was so insane, I can’t even imagine how hard it was for him to choose a winner.

feddy faber

13 Likes