Adding @Falling_Comet and @InitialYeet to the entrant list, now 39

1987 Bradford Xena
9 Likes

Did i get mine in?

I don’t see that you messaged me

2 Likes

Round 1 Eliminations

Section 1.1: Instabins

These cars broke one or more rules and will go no further.

@Admiral_Obvious Independent Bronsen Auto AWD

Exceeded maximum Engine ET: 158.3, Incorrect Naming Convention

Very questionable design, price near the top of the budget, and features that don’t match it’s appearance at all. This little offroader with a decked out luxury interior? While submitting an offroader was already playing a game of The Brief Is Lava, the other offroader submitted is a much more compelling entrant.

@dividedbyzero96 Sierra Coyote Sprint

Incorrect Naming Convention

A handsome car and a steaming hot performance bargain. With 256 horsepower at just $24,900, it’s a lot of power for the money, but sacrifices were made in the process, with fewer features than similarly priced cars and very poor comfort levels. Nonetheless, an impressive first attempt at a CSR.

@InitialYeet Eagle Stallion Turbo

Incorrect Naming Convention

A neat looking car, if a bit too close to a replica for my tastes. A strong performance car with it’s 201 hp turbo 4 cylinder, but not as well equipped as other options in it’s price range, and very poor comfort levels. Like the Sierra though, an impressive car for a first CSR.

@DuceTheTruth100 Wells GTC

Late Submission

Not a bad car. It’s on the pricier side of entrants, but it is a large and well equipped car with decent road manners and comfort. Unfortunately, it’s slow for it’s price, it’s appearance is quite uninspiring, running costs are very high, and one would expect this large and expensive car to still have an automatic top.

Section 1.2: early Eliminations

The following cars are out. These cars fall behind the competition quickly.

@TheTom Marina Ember

The Marina Ember is an aluminum bodied pure sports car, with most of its budget spent on speed an performance; too dedicated for this role. Similar cars offer more features for the same money, and a dismal 10 comfort is 2nd worst in test. It also falls way short in style.

@SheikhMansour Rosewood Streaker

A similarly styled car to the Marina, it falls way short in the looks department for this company. Near the top of the budget and running a wild 317 hp 6.4 liter 32 valve V8, it’s the most powerful car here, but not the fastest. But I can’t get past the styling. A Pink roof? I think both this car and the Marina show that just because a body unlocks soon enough, doesn’t mean it’s era-appropriate, and trying to design this very blobby Miata body back into the 80s has pretty unfortunate results.

@T0M AT Stellar-S

This car is confused. It looks quite sporty, but has among the least sporting drives of the test. It is badged “3.2L” on the car, but instead has a 2.7 liter turbo 4 cylinder. It rides on air suspension, but has only mediocre comfort. It’s 17" wheels are anachronistic.

@yurimacs Bradford Xena

Good bones, but the design feels very unfinished. Right at the top end of the budget and the only entrant to opt for a hand-made interior, it pummels the the entire competition in comfort, but has poor reliability and is slow compared to similarly priced cars.

@Milanchx Lukes-Jackson Horizon

The design is very plain. A full luxury approach with hydropnuematic suspension and 5 liters of 275hp V8 under the hood, yet both comfort and acceleration figures are middle of the road, while managing only 12 MPG. An underacheiver overall.

@abg7 WM Welland 3.0 Convertible

An sporty premium subcompact with incredibly dull styling. While this car is quick, comfortable, and pleasant, it’s performance can be had for much cheaper, meanwhile just a little more money can get you into a better car, and in either scenario, you’re getting a better looking car. Competent, but no style.

@Edsel Bazard Cayote

Sadly, another competent machine crippled completely by a lack of styling. While this car provides a unique balance of priorities as a good price, with competitive performance figures and comfort and equipment levels, it finds itself in a very competitive price bracket where only the best entrants can go forward.

More reviews to come. I have a more unique style planned for the reviews going forward, so I hope you will enjoy them. Unfortunately I will continue to review the cars primarily out of character for the sake of pace.

20 Likes

forgot to change the badge lol

too bad it went like this, better luck next time then

Agreed. IMO the whole Bean body set (all sizes) actually unlocks too soon for its body shape (1983 at the earliest, whereas the real-life NA MX-5 launched in 1989). I think its use would be far more appropriate for a car made in the 1990s; as such, to reflect this, its unlock year should be moved forward to 1988 or so - around the same as the recently overhauled S15 body set. That might explain why I had to reject my first attempt (which did use one of the Bean bodies) at an entry for this round. As for my actual entry:

It’s not a subcompact, more like a midsize - I used the E36/405 body with a 2.6m wheelbase. But you are right about it looking too generic and dull for its price. In hindsight I should have gone with one of the faster trims (which had around 240 bhp) and given it a more expressive look.

I know of only two cars that had 17" wheels back in 1987: the Porsche 959 and Ferrari F40. In fact, it wasn’t until some time in the early 1990s that they started to become more commonplace, and even then, only in high-performance cars.

Anyway, your review style is one of the best I’ve ever seen - getting the duds out of the way quickly, before exploring the rest of the field in greater depth.

1 Like

It’s worth noting, I think, that the devs make bodies unlock about 5 years early on purpose in order to allow time for engineering in the campaign.

5 Likes

I see this a lot; don’t fixate on wheelbase, look at your overall length. Your car with short overhang morphs was just 160” long (4.06m) which makes it shorter than every car on the inspriation list other than the VW, 4” (.1m) shorter than the Renault Alliance, which was very much a subcompact in the US market.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. By the way, you were right to reject my entry for looking too minimalistic on the outside, and not offering enough value for money compared to its closest competitors.

1 Like

I did read the top post and I understand the naming has to be “CSR147 - insert username here”, however I am not sure how exactly this is done. Like is the model name “CSR147” and the trim name “insert username here”?

It all goes together in the car model and engine family name; this helps the host easily see who’s car is who’s from the menu. What you put in the trim/variant category doesn’t matter, but most people just put their car’s/engine’s name there.

Ah thanks.

Reviews Section 2.1

To better inform their decision, Caitlin and Mary have amassed the latest bevy of convertible comparison tests.

VehicleMonth Magazine, March 1987 issue:

In this Issue: Convertible City Cars Compared!

If a bite-sized convertible is what you’re after, you’ve got three options for 1987: the Lance Compy Ericeira 1.6 GTi, the Matsuma Neo-R aerotop, and the Mara Zora 1.3t Kabriolet.

These two have a lot in common: they’re both sporty cars priced right around $18,000, they both have about 100 hp, they both weigh about 900 kg and they both have 5 speed transmissions. They also both make their fair share of compromises to deliver their fun in the sun at such a cheap price. The Lance’s roof must be completely removed and stowed to get the open top experience, and the engine, while a fun and peppy 16 valve unit, can be easily over-revved. It is reasonably well equipped though, with power steering and a sporty interior. While the Matsuma’s interior isn’t as sporty, fit and finish feel excellent, and it’s manual top folds away nicely. Overall we’d say the Matsuma’s interior is a nicer place to be… Until you’re moving, that is; combine a short wheelbase with wider tires and a stiff suspension we found driving the car for long stints simply unbearable. Out on the roads, the wide, sporty, Matsuma is the more dedicated sports machine of the two, but the Lance is a more measured approach, simply a punchy city car, complete with cheap running costs and great fuel economy, with a dash of sport added.

The Mara Zora isn’t quite in the same league as the other convertible city cars, but that’s not all bad news: starting with the price. At a mere $13,400, the Mara Zora Kabriolet brings affordable open-top experiences to the masses. Like the others, it’s based on the sportiest model in the Zora range, but sporty is relative when speaking of the ultra-cheap Zora, handling is adequate at best, and the 1.3 liter turbo motor is still 25 horsepower short of the others here. It’s hardly comfortable, not sporty, and with the carbureted turbo setup, not even all that economical. But then, what do you expect at this price? The Mara Zora unapologetically offers you a means of transportation with a folding roof that looks as cheap as it is. If that’s good enough for you, enjoy it, but for us, we’d rather spend more on something the gives you a bit more.

1. Lance Compy Ericeira 1.6 GTi @inf2
  2. Matusma Neo-R aerotop @mart1n2005
  3. Mara Zora 1.3t Kabriolet @AndiD

The Lance Compy is the winner of the city car comparison. It is the quickest, most comfortable, and the cheapest to run and fuel. However, in the grand scheme of Mary and Caitlin’s car search, all three options are too compromised for serious consideration.

13 Likes

Reviews Section 2.2

Vehicle Trends, August 1987 issue:

Country Club attitude on a Turkey Club Budget

Do these near-luxury ‘verts cut the mustard, or are they all bread and no filling?

Chevillic Marina 3.2L SE vs Marx Blackbird V6 vs Deer and Hunt Hawg vs Questtre - Quartre Roaster vs Lacam Furka TC V6 3.0 vs LaVoie Engarde 2.4 Cabriolet

The explosion in popularity of convertibles in the last few years is probably most notable in the near-luxury segment, and likely no car is more exemplary of this movement than the Chevillic Marina. An incredibly handsome, well-equipped, well-built, and reliable vehicle at a very attainable price of just $26,000, the Chevillac’s incredibly comfortable ride gives you the feeling of caviar at canned-tuna pricing; its affordable roots only showing through in its manual top and lazy driving dynamics. It’s been a sales success, but the larger and more modern Marx Blackbird seems poised to try to steal the Marina’s crown. These V6 powered front-drivers are quite similar on a spec sheet, and the Marx’s ride is just as pillowy sweet as the Chevillic, while it’s a bit more composed around town thanks to ABS, more modern suspension design, and a lighter curb weight. It doesn’t come with as much standard safety equipment and it too lacks a power top, but at just $27,200 it’s still quite a bargain.

For a bit more money, you can take a look at the more compact imported competition. The conservatively styled Lacam Furka, aside from being smaller and RWD, is very similar to the domestics in power and equipment levels. It gets an automatic top, a welcome sight without doubt, but it is a smaller car, is considerably less comfortable, and reliability ratings aren’t on the same level, despite it’s considerably larger price of $29,800.

At $29,100, the least expensive of the European options is the high-tech Questtre - Quartre Roaster. No, it’s not trendy new toaster oven, it’s a smart and sporty looking compact that stands out in this group with a more sporty flair; a manual transmission, 4 valves per cylinder, a turbocharger for its 2.2 liter 5 cylinder. While it’s more fun to drive than the domestics, it isn’t any faster, and isn’t in the same league for comfort. The interior is well-equipped, with the best stereo in test, although its fit and finish do leave something to be desired in this company. At least unlike its cheaper foes, its top is fully automatic, and hides beneath a smart tonneau cover when retracted.

The LaVoie Engarde is a handsome machine, although it looks more a product of the 70s than the 80s. Similarly equipped again to the Chevillic, Marx, and Lacam, it has one extra trick up its sleeve: hydropnuematic suspension. On paper, this should give the car an edge compared to the conventionally sprung competition in terms of ride comfort, but on the road, it still can’t quite compete with the larger domestics. While none of the cars in this segment are rocketships, thie LaVoie feels exceptionally slow; it’s 133 hp 2.4 liter straight six taking 11 seconds to reach 60, almost a second and half slower than the next slowest entrants. It’s also the most expensive in the group, at $30,000.

Okay Okay, the Deer And Hunt Hawg is more Gun Club than Country Club, but it is a novel idea, a premium jeep. And premium it is: its equipment levels keep up with the other competitors here, but of course, in jeep fashion, its roof must be completely removed and stowed separately. Given that it is, after all, a truck, it doesn’t come as much of a surprise that it isn’t really in the same league as the rest of the group.

Our verdict: the Chevillic still leads the pack, with handsome (if slightly dated) style, the cheapest price, highest quality interior, impeccable comfort, great reliability, and impressive safety. Its new rival, the Marx Blackbird, is an excellent alternative if you want a bit more athleticism or more modern style. We do hope these cars will be offered with a power top in the future, though.

1. Chevillic Marina 3.2L SE @MisterRocketMan
  2. Marx Blackbird V6 @Urke101
  3. LaVoie Engarde 2.4 Cabriolet @GROOV3ST3R
  4. Questtre - Quartre Roaster @z2bbgr @conan
  5. Lacam Furka TC V6 3.0 @Arn38fr
  6. Deer and Hunt Hawg @Mikonp7

The Chevillic Marina and the Marx Blackbird both fulfill this niche impressively well, and both are deemed worth looking at further. The Questtre Quartre is a very cool looking car, but it statistically underperforms in this group for the price, as does the Lacam. The LaVoie is the best of the Europeans, but it still isn’t on the same level as the cheaper Chevillic and Marx. The Deer And Hunt may seem out of place in this group, and that would be because it was supposed to go out in section 1 but I forgor :skull:

17 Likes

Reviews Section 2.3

Motor Carriage, May 1987 issue

HOT HOT HOT! Sporty convertibles even YOU can afford for summer fun! The sporty convertible market is heating up with these five hot 5 speed drop tops!

Vaughn Silverbird vs Avantii Velon vs FMC Colibri L250 Sport vs Cabrera Lizara V6 vs Zephorus Bretta SL

The FMC Colibri L250 Sport and Zephorus Bretta SL bring modern technology to the class, utilizing 4 valve per cylinders and aluminum for some body panels to reduce weight. The Zephorus pushes the technological envelope just a bit further than the FMC, with state of the art adaptive dampers and FWD drivetrain, and striking, beautiful design to match. These two both use 2.5 liter six cylinders, are almost identical in weight, and turn in nearly identical performance numbers, they even both have automatic tops. The Zephorus’s advanced technologies, including its soulful 174 hp quad cam V6, may be among its top selling points, but they come at a cost: very high running costs. And to keep this car in this affordable sub $30k bracket, cost must be cut elsewhere, and for the Zephorus, it’s in the interior, the least impressive of the group.

The FMC Colibri feels bred for the track, with eager responses and an agile handling balance that few other convertibles can match, at any price. But this doesn’t come without compromise. Eager responses come from a taut suspension that makes the car uncomfortable around town and for long drives. Agile balance can be attributed to the lightweight all aluminum 161 hp I6, which gives it the worst reliability ratings of the group. We wish as well that its appearance could match the excitement of its drive.

Compared to those high-tech machines, the Cabrera Lizara V6 feels like slipping into your favorite pair of sneakers. It’s appearance is attractive and straightforward, it doesn’t have 4 valves per cylinder, it doesn’t have multi-piston calipers, and it doesn’t have ABS, but what it does have is a simple and joyous driving experience that’s more comfortable than this whole group, yet more fun than all bar the FMC. Part of the incredible balance this car strikes can be attributed to its stellar interior; a premium affair of unparalleled fit and finish that puts more expensive cars to shame, truly a feat at this car’s price. And, all that with Cabrera’s reputation for absolutely bulletproof reliability. Sounds like a winning combination to us.

The Vaughn is quite a bit larger than the other cars in this group, and it’s the cheapest too, at just $23,200. Its roof folds away not just automatically, already not a given in this price range, but even tucks itself nicely under a tonneau cover. Unfortunately though, the big bird is starting to feel like a bit of a dinosaur; in this group it’s the heaviest, the only car with a solid axle, rear drum brakes, and still using throttle body fuel injection for its 155 hp 3.8 liter I6. While its 0-60 of 8.8 seconds is respectable, the fresh blood in the class have a lot more pace. These details certainly don’t knock the budget bird completely out of its flight path on their own, but the other budget option here might send it the way of the dodo.

The Avantii Velon is a weapon aimed straight at this segment. At $24,100 it’s not far off from taking that Vaughn’s budget crown, yet at the same time, it’s the brawniest, fastest car of the group. 3.5 liters of SOHC 12 valve V6 push a class-topping 192 horsepower, which motivate this good looking machine to best-in-test acceleration tests. It’s carrying more weight than the Zephorus and Cabrera, it rides on quieter, less sporting tires, and has older, nonvariable power steering, yet somehow still nips at their heels in terms of driving fun and cornering grip. This impressive machine has just a few downsides; it can be a handful to drive at times, its interior isn’t on the level of the Cabrera, and it could stand look more exciting.

At the end of the day, we found ourselves split between choosing the Cabrera or the Avantii as the winner, but eventually gave the nod to the Avantii for its lower price and performance. That said, if you value quality and reliability over outright performance, we highly recommend the Cabrera as well.

1. Avantii Velon Convertible @EnCR
  2. Cabrera Lizara V6 @Petakabras
  3. Zephorus Bretta SL @Riley
  4. FMC Colibri L250 Sport @Lanson
  5. Vaughn Silverbird @Knugcab

The magazine reviewers chose the Avantii as their winner in a tight fight with the Cabrera, but Caitlin was impressed enough that both cars will be considered further. This was a strong group, and none of these cars are bad. Good job to all of you.

21 Likes

Love the style of these reviews!
Good luck to those who made it through to the next round!

TBH the description of the Vaughn sounds like an accurate representation of an 80s pony car, so even if I was far from winning I probably hit the nail in another way. :rofl:

That leaves… 12 entries still to review, right?